Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1281  
Old 27.06.2011, 09:25
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,302
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can an Ipad fully replace a laptop?

Quote:
View Post
zx81 had 1kb of ram as standard, why would anyone need more?? but just in case you did it was a 16k ram pack
That would be it, then - whatever the size (that I'd forgotten), it just clipped on the back, enabling me to run a few graphic games, loaded from a cassette player (square planes, dropping square bombs on square dams).

Probably not as portable as an iPad, if you take into account the TV monitor that you'd also have to carry around.
Reply With Quote
  #1282  
Old 30.06.2011, 12:52
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,436
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,010 Times in 6,268 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Yesterday, I went into a store and fooled around with an Ipad...I love the easy usability of the device and the fact, that it doesn't overheat like most laptops do after a year of so. If I'd include a decent keyboard, it will probably meet my needs 100%.
Reply With Quote
  #1283  
Old 30.06.2011, 12:58
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Yesterday, I went into a store and fooled around with an Ipad...I love the easy usability of the device and the fact, that it doesn't overheat like most laptops do after a year of so. If I'd include a decent keyboard, it will probably meet my needs 100%.
What do you want to type on it? For forum typing it's surprisingly easy. For typing quick emails it's surprisingly easy.

http://ipadinsight.com/ios/ipad-keyb...e-page-dock-it

There is a new feature coming with the new operating system that allows the keyboard to be split so you can type with either thumb without having to stretch too much.

Also if you get one of the case/stands typing with more than one finger is quite easy.

I wouldn't recommend typing an essay or paper on an iPad for sure...but I'm not sure that you would want to do that.
Reply With Quote
  #1284  
Old 30.06.2011, 13:02
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,436
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,010 Times in 6,268 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
What do you want to type on it? For forum typing it's surprisingly easy. For typing quick emails it's surprisingly easy.

http://ipadinsight.com/ios/ipad-keyb...e-page-dock-it

There is a new feature coming with the new operating system that allows the keyboard to be split so you can type with either thumb without having to stretch too much.

Also if you get one of the case/stands typing with more than one finger is quite easy.

I wouldn't recommend typing an essay or paper on an iPad for sure...but I'm not sure that you would want to do that.
Thank you for your informative insight. I will be on the road a lot and need something that starts up swiftly, doesn't need to be constantly recharged and has a word processing program (see, recent post by vwild about various aps). I would need to type up documents and therefore can only do so with an adequate keyboard.
Reply With Quote
  #1285  
Old 30.06.2011, 13:09
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for your informative insight. I will be on the road a lot and need something that starts up swiftly, doesn't need to be constantly recharged and has a word processing program (see, recent post by vwild about various aps). I would need to type up documents and therefore can only do so with an adequate keyboard.
For 'real' typing work it's not ideal. The Macbook air is perfect if for travelling (if you really want a mac).

If you decide to go for one I get a student discount (about 12%)so let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #1286  
Old 30.06.2011, 13:15
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,436
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,010 Times in 6,268 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
For 'real' typing work it's not ideal. The Macbook air is perfect if for travelling (if you really want a mac).

If you decide to go for one I get a student discount (about 12%)so let me know.
I'm not really a Mac person...but I will look into the option.
Can you load aps on it? How long does the battery last? Does it overheat like anything esle I've had before?
Reply With Quote
  #1287  
Old 30.06.2011, 13:23
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
I'm not really a Mac person...but I will look into the option.
Can you load aps on it? How long does the battery last? Does it overheat like anything esle I've had before?
There is a mac app store. Which is different from the iOS app store

http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/

For battery life. 5 hours or 7 hours depending on screen size. Apparently it can withstand a month on standby though.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookair/f...s.html#battery

I couldn't comment on how hot it gets. Since it uses an SSD instead of a HDD I'd imagine it would run cooler. There are a few people on here who have one so maybe they could comment.

It doesn't have a disk drive though. Not sure if your backwards swiss company still uses CDs or DVDs though
Reply With Quote
  #1288  
Old 30.06.2011, 13:33
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,436
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,010 Times in 6,268 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
There is a mac app store. Which is different from the iOS app store

http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/

For battery life. 5 hours or 7 hours depending on screen size. Apparently it can withstand a month on standby though.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookair/f...s.html#battery

I couldn't comment on how hot it gets. Since it uses an SSD instead of a HDD I'd imagine it would run cooler. There are a few people on here who have one so maybe they could comment.

It doesn't have a disk drive though. Not sure if your backwards swiss company still uses CDs or DVDs though
Now see, 5-7 is rellatively low compared to the 10h you get from an Ipad. Also, another issue is, that it seems flimsy and I can imagine that it will break easisly under my strong, manly hands.
Reply With Quote
  #1289  
Old 30.06.2011, 13:46
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Now see, 5-7 is rellatively low compared to the 10h you get from an Ipad. Also, another issue is, that it seems flimsy and I can imagine that it will break easisly under my strong, manly hands.
You aren't comparing like with like. 7 hours is pretty good for a laptop. 10 hours is good for a tablet.

Also you want portable, you want a full keyboard, but you want it to be a thick sturdy thing at the same time...and to have 15 hours battery life...

You can't have your cake and eat it LiB. The macbook airs are due a refresh soon. So it's not the best time to buy one anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #1290  
Old 30.06.2011, 14:05
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,436
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,010 Times in 6,268 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
You aren't comparing like with like. 7 hours is pretty good for a laptop. 10 hours is good for a tablet.

Also you want portable, you want a full keyboard, but you want it to be a thick sturdy thing at the same time...and to have 15 hours battery life...

You can't have your cake and eat it LiB. The macbook airs are due a refresh soon. So it's not the best time to buy one anyway.
I don't have to compared it like with with...I compared it with the purpose that it needs to serve. 3 more hours along with the durability and the easiy usability sure make a pro argument for an Ipad...nevertheless, I will look into your suggestion.
Reply With Quote
  #1291  
Old 30.06.2011, 14:08
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
I don't have to compared it like with with...I compared it with the purpose that it needs to serve. 3 more hours along with the durability and the easiy usability sure make a pro argument for an Ipad...nevertheless, I will look into your suggestion.
But since you need a keyboard...that's a TKO for the iPad
Reply With Quote
  #1292  
Old 30.06.2011, 14:09
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,436
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,010 Times in 6,268 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
But since you need a keyboard...that's a TKO for the iPad
No..because you can purchase a case with an incorporated bluetooth keyboard and therefore, would serve the purpose just right.

http://orderservice.mediamarkt.ch/an...ton-kg-39336de
Reply With Quote
  #1293  
Old 30.06.2011, 14:19
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
No..because you can purchase a case with an incorporated bluetooth keyboard and therefore, would serve the purpose just right.

http://orderservice.mediamarkt.ch/an...ton-kg-39336de
But does this meet your definition of 'adequate' though?
Reply With Quote
  #1294  
Old 30.06.2011, 14:20
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,436
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,010 Times in 6,268 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
But does this meet your definition of 'adequate' though?
I'd think so...but I would have to try it out first.


http://www.englishforum.ch/tv-intern...133-8-9-a.html (check out why he's selling it )
Reply With Quote
  #1295  
Old 30.06.2011, 14:47
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
I'd think so...but I would have to try it out first.


http://www.englishforum.ch/tv-intern...133-8-9-a.html (check out why he's selling it )
Thing is when I take my iPad I love the fact that it's portable. Adding a keyboard to it adds bulk. If I know I will have use of a keyboard then I would take my laptop...but when I'm travelling on the train, it's very unlikely that I will be typing anything significant. But your mileage may vary
Reply With Quote
  #1296  
Old 30.06.2011, 14:59
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,436
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,010 Times in 6,268 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Thing is when I take my iPad I love the fact that it's portable. Adding a keyboard to it adds bulk. If I know I will have use of a keyboard then I would take my laptop...but when I'm travelling on the train, it's very unlikely that I will be typing anything significant. But your mileage may vary
..but that's you. I need some aps, type various stuff and have more durability/battery life. Adding a keyboard makes it still smaller and lighter than a laptop.
Reply With Quote
  #1297  
Old 30.06.2011, 15:12
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,326
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,692 Times in 5,026 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

LiB, you need some serious, hands-on skooling.
Meet me at the Media Markt in Basel SBB, its Training Day
Reply With Quote
  #1298  
Old 30.06.2011, 15:14
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,436
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,010 Times in 6,268 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
LiB, you need some serious, hands-on skooling.
Meet me at the Media Markt in Basel SBB, its Training Day
...you don't, by any chance drive a black 78 Monte Carlo?
Reply With Quote
  #1299  
Old 30.06.2011, 15:20
Castro's Avatar
la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 5,326
Groaned at 106 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 15,692 Times in 5,026 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
...you don't, by any chance drive a black 78 Monte Carlo?
I drive a Castromobile.. what other people choose to call it is irrelevent to me
Reply With Quote
  #1300  
Old 30.06.2011, 15:20
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
..but that's you. I need some aps, type various stuff and have more durability/battery life. Adding a keyboard makes it still smaller and lighter than a laptop.
Welll...the iPad is 600g. That case and keyboard is 567g...total is 1167g.

The macbook air is 1.06kg...

Just saying. Also with bluetooth activated you won't get 10 hours out of the iPad.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0