Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1341  
Old 20.07.2011, 10:29
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Which is especially obnoxious, considering this:

http://www.20min.ch/digital/dossier/...story/14778699


Don't get me wrong: they make great phones and great tablets - but just as with the phones, once Google gets its act together on the software front, cheap Android tablets will be flying off the shelves and Apple's gigantic market share will crumble - it's pretty much unavoidable.
As the market seems to be growing like crazy, that doesn't mean Apple as a company is going to do badly - it just means that they'll be playing second fiddle in the tablet market as well, in no time.

Asus apparently is already selling 500'000 EEE Pad Transformers every month now, and that's with Android 3.1 and the Transformer's mediocre build quality.

Peter
I've quoted this so you can't change it
Reply With Quote
  #1342  
Old 20.07.2011, 10:38
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Unless they screw-up very badly and the competition makes leap-frogs at the same time, this situation will continue for as long as Apple can create products that are more innovative, easier to use and offer the right mix of "adorable" and "pricey but still somewhat affordable" over the competition.

Personally, I consider the valuation of Apple stock and the pricing of its products somewhat related to the devaluation of the USD ;-)
It's a bit like gold and oil....
IMHO, there are only two companies that can take Apple on (and are doing so): Samsung and HTC. Apple knows that - there's a reason why they're targeting those two with their law-suits. Why those two companies? They know the business, they have very close ties to the manufacturers and they have been doing great for years (even decades, in the case of Samsung) with the lower margins you were mentioning. Neither of those two have been shrinking lately. Samsung has been outselling Apple with their SGS II phone in several important markets (the UK, Japan and Korea, for example) lately.

Samsung scares the crap out of Apple at the moment. Not only because Samsung's products are extremely innovative (perhaps the Galaxy Tab less so than the Galaxy S II, which is one heck of an innovation if you look at the innards) but because Apple actually depends on Samsung as a component supplier. Apple simply couldn't keep up with the production numbers if they lost Samsung. So even though the two companies are trying to kill each other in their legal battles, there's no Apple without Samsung.

Yes, Apple is innovative - but not in all areas. In terms of software engineering und product design, they're excellent. In terms of hardware-engineering (and I'm not talking about the outer shell of their phones and tablets), they lag behind, or they're outright non-existant.


Anyway, I agree with you though, that there are many companies (such as Asus) that hurt themselves massively by trying to imitate Apple's design in their production of cheap crap.

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #1343  
Old 20.07.2011, 10:40
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
IMHO, there are only two companies that can take Apple on (and are doing so): Samsung and HTC. Apple knows that - there's a reason why they're targeting those two with their law-suits. Why those two companies? They know the business, they have very close ties to the manufacturers and they have been doing great for years (even decades, in the case of Samsung) with the lower margins you were mentioning. Neither of those two have been shrinking lately. Samsung has been outselling Apple with their SGS II phone in several important markets (the UK, Japan and Korea, for example) lately.

Samsung scares the crap out of Apple at the moment. Not only because Samsung's products are extremely innovative (perhaps the Galaxy Tab less so than the Galaxy S II, which is one heck of an innovation if you look at the innards) but because Apple actually depends on Samsung as a component supplier. Apple simply couldn't keep up with the production numbers if they lost Samsung. So even though the two companies are trying to kill each other in their legal battles, there's no Apple without Samsung.

Yes, Apple is innovative - but not in all areas. In terms of software engineering und product design, they're excellent. In terms of hardware-engineering (and I'm not talking about the outer shell of their phones and tablets), they lag behind, or they're outright non-existant.


Anyway, I agree with you though, that there are many companies (such as Asus) that hurt themselves massively by trying to imitate Apple's design in their production of cheap crap.

Peter
ASUS produced a tablet 5 years before Apple
Reply With Quote
  #1344  
Old 20.07.2011, 10:42
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
ASUS produced a tablet 5 years before Apple
which makes it even sadder that their tablets are still cheap crap. I "own" an eee Pad Transformer. I put "own" in double quotes because ever since I bought it, it's been sitting in a box at Swiss IT Repair, "waiting for parts".
Reply With Quote
  #1345  
Old 20.07.2011, 10:43
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,104
Groaned at 31 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 4,890 Times in 2,212 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

I really don't see Apple as being innovative. Unless you're refering to their marketing and branding methods, that's really their major strength.
Reply With Quote
  #1346  
Old 20.07.2011, 10:43
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,086
Groaned at 486 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
ASUS produced a tablet 5 years before Apple

and crippled it by running windows
Reply With Quote
  #1347  
Old 20.07.2011, 11:04
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
I really don't see Apple as being innovative. Unless you're refering to their marketing and branding methods, that's really their major strength.
Their hardware is nothing to write home about. But the integration of their hardware and software to make something wonderfully easy and at the same time powerful to use is their strongest innovation.

Everything Apple touches doesn't turn to gold. Look at Apple TV one. It was a complete failure and they have many in their past.

Regardless of how innovative Apple are...what they create is great products which people want to, and can, use.
Reply With Quote
  #1348  
Old 20.07.2011, 11:08
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Everything Apple touches doesn't turn to gold. Look at Apple TV one. It was a complete failure and they have many in their past.
and the biggest joke with Apple TV is that the box actually IS innovative hardware design for once. On this one, they crapped out on the Software / content / pricing front - all areas where they normally do well.
Reply With Quote
  #1349  
Old 20.07.2011, 11:12
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,104
Groaned at 31 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 4,890 Times in 2,212 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Their hardware is nothing to write home about. But the integration of their hardware and software to make something wonderfully easy and at the same time powerful to use is their strongest innovation.

Everything Apple touches doesn't turn to gold. Look at Apple TV one. It was a complete failure and they have many in their past.

Regardless of how innovative Apple are...what they create is great products which people want to, and can, use.

This is true, but I feel it's been done many times by many high end PC/computer manufacturers and companies. The problem before is you would have to pay out the a55 to afford such a stable machine. You have to pay out the a55 for apple products as well, but they've developed a culture and social marketing scene where you feel it's worth it.
The other companies who have make such stable integration of hardware and software had nowhere the marketing or 'buzz' ability to make a trendy product, they were just nerds selling a good product---that just doesn't cut it nowadays.
__________________
"You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com" -Benjamin Franklin
Reply With Quote
  #1350  
Old 20.07.2011, 11:21
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
This is true, but I feel it's been done many times by many high end PC/computer manufacturers and companies. The problem before is you would have to pay out the a55 to afford such a stable machine. You have to pay out the a55 for apple products as well, but they've developed a culture and social marketing scene where you feel it's worth it.
The other companies who have make such stable integration of hardware and software had nowhere the marketing or 'buzz' ability to make a trendy product, they were just nerds selling a good product---that just doesn't cut it nowadays.
I think in terms of the iPhone and the iPad the overpriced mantra doesn't hold water. The iPad 2 is of comparable price to other flagship tablets and if you want to buy a sim free iPhone it's the same price as other sim free flagship androids.

The difference is that the iPhone doesn't go down in price over its one year life span. I bought an HTC Desire last April for about 400. It's now cheaper to buy a new HTC Desire than an iPhone 3GS. The 3GS is 2 years old!

And on the second hand market I'd probably get a similar price for my HTC Desire as someone would get for a second hand 3GS.

Then when you add in the good genius bar service into the equation it really makes the iPhone and iPad not a bad deal at all IMO.


Their laptop range is very overpriced though...but look so pretty




(I'm by no means an Apple sackrider, I just like to be objective in all of this )
Reply With Quote
  #1351  
Old 20.07.2011, 11:24
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,111
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,190 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
I think in terms of the iPhone and the iPad the overpriced mantra doesn't hold water. The iPad 2 is of comparable price to other flagship tablets and if you want to buy a sim free iPhone it's the same price as other sim free androids.
the iPad 2 is competitively priced (very much so) - the iPhone 4, however, costs a lot (I'd say about 30-50%) more than comparable phones. Also, one is compelled to get the 32gb version because the phone doesn't have an expansion-slot, whereas with most other phones, you can get the cheapest version and add memory with Micro SD cards as needed.

Peter
Reply With Quote
  #1352  
Old 21.07.2011, 09:34
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,435
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,009 Times in 6,267 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Feedback on the Ipad.
I've been toying around with an Ipod and I must say, that the overall quality and usability of the product is excellent. Paired with an auxiliary keyboard when I'm on the go, has topped my expectations...the only downside is, that I'm not used to point and click on the screen (I'm missing the touchpad of my laptop)...but I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it. Other than that, I have no complaints and it is the perfect solution for my needs (be it business or pleasure).
Reply With Quote
  #1353  
Old 21.07.2011, 11:38
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Are you going to sell your laptop or keep it around just in case?
Reply With Quote
  #1354  
Old 22.07.2011, 09:45
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,435
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,009 Times in 6,267 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Are you going to sell your laptop or keep it around just in case?
If I get an Ipad, I wouldn't need the laptop anymore. I wouldn't bother selling it, as it isn't exactly in "mint" condition.
Reply With Quote
  #1355  
Old 22.07.2011, 10:36
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
If I get an Ipad, I wouldn't need the laptop anymore. I wouldn't bother selling it, as it isn't exactly in "mint" condition.
Ah okay, I thought you already bought one.
Reply With Quote
  #1356  
Old 22.07.2011, 17:41
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,435
Groaned at 629 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 16,009 Times in 6,267 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Could anybody give me some feedback on the "QuickVoice2TextEmail" app? Is it as efficent and does it function as described in the app store?
Reply With Quote
  #1357  
Old 27.07.2011, 21:48
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,080
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 727 Times in 380 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Haha.... guys n gals.
You may remember that sometime ago I mentioned a nice thingamajick which I found on kickstarter.com - an iPad keyboard + case called the Adonit Writer (my boss loves it BTW).

The same guys are coming out with a capacitive stylus - a "pen" which can be used in lieu of our grubby, greasy fingers to paint and scribble notes on our 'pads.

The thingie is called and it's mentioned here
Jot Capacitive Stylus.

Do make a point of keeping kickstarter in your bookmarks... I found plenty of interesting apps/addons for my small and bigger Apple tingies ;-)

Ciao

Paul
__________________
>absence of evidence ≠ evidence of absence<
Reply With Quote
  #1358  
Old 02.08.2011, 16:11
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Skype for iPad is out.
Reply With Quote
  #1359  
Old 02.08.2011, 16:12
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Skype for iPad is out.
Ive had Skype on my IPad since march?????
Reply With Quote
  #1360  
Old 02.08.2011, 16:21
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: The Apple iPad

Quote:
View Post
Ive had Skype on my IPad since march?????
Sorry

'A dedicated application for use with an iPad which will utilise the full size of the screen and has been optimised for the iPad's features has been released'
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0