Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 30.04.2010, 15:07
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,378
Groaned at 265 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 14,701 Times in 6,226 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Quote:
View Post
People have been venturing into the ocean for hundreds of years so there is a good idea of the risks involved. Same goes for forests. Our excursions into space are recent. Think of it in terms of insurance, since you mentioned it. The premium you get charged is based on the calculated risk. If the risk is not known then not many insurance companies would cover you. Was the Apollo Moon landing mission covered by insurance? I doubt it.
there's a first time for everything. by your logic, we should have never ventured into forests, gone into space, broadcast any signals, or probably even ventured out of our caves.

while i'm happy for you to stand on the street corner with your boards proclaiming the imminent destruction of the world, i'm glad others have a different point of view to make advances.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 30.04.2010, 15:08
the_clangers's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO was St Prex, VD
Posts: 2,000
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,185 Times in 697 Posts
the_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond reputethe_clangers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Quote:
View Post
They're not extra terrestrial aliens though, so it's kinda of a boring point.

What if you were attacked by an astronaut? If Buzz had done this outside the US, maybe that could be classed as an attack by an extra terrestrial alien.

I am not saying that I condone violence but that was awesome.



Brian.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 30.04.2010, 15:09
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GraubŁnden
Posts: 640
Groaned at 69 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 421 Times in 255 Posts
Wasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputation
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Quote:
View Post
People have been venturing into the ocean for hundreds of years so there is a good idea of the risks involved. Same goes for forests. Our excursions into space are recent. Think of it in terms of insurance, since you mentioned it. The premium you get charged is based on the calculated risk. If the risk is not known then not many insurance companies would cover you. Was the Apollo Moon landing mission covered by insurance? I doubt it.
I am sure humans will venture into space, but the space between your ears seem impenetrable.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 30.04.2010, 15:13
RolandRB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ex Basel
Posts: 569
Groaned at 138 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 170 Times in 107 Posts
RolandRB is considered knowledgeableRolandRB is considered knowledgeableRolandRB is considered knowledgeable
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Quote:
View Post
there's a first time for everything. by your logic, we should have never ventured into forests, gone into space, broadcast any signals, or probably even ventured out of our caves.

while i'm happy for you to stand on the street corner with your boards proclaiming the imminent destruction of the world, i'm glad others have a different point of view to make advances.
I am not saying we shouldn't go to places for the first time. I am saying we should consider the risks and benefits before doing so.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 30.04.2010, 15:19
scribble's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 8xxx
Posts: 685
Groaned at 18 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 598 Times in 304 Posts
scribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

My avatar is the reason aliens will come here. Herbs just don't grow well in outer space.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 30.04.2010, 15:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,394
Groaned at 595 Times in 452 Posts
Thanked 13,940 Times in 5,418 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Quote:
View Post
My avatar is the reason aliens will come here. Herbs just don't grow well in outer space.
There's a herb planet in the vicinity or at least on the way to Earth, Marajuna IV. Why do you think there's been so many crashed UFO's?
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 30.04.2010, 22:03
PaperMoon2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 499
Groaned at 24 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
PaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of many
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Quote:
View Post
What kind of drugs you folk smoke around here, it surely seems like frekkin good stuff!

We do not even know what exist in the bottom of the oceans on our OWN planet earth and then making claims of knowledge about life on far away planets?!

I used to give Steven Hawkings benefit of doubt, that he actually might be a genius, but lately I think he only says (if its not pre recorded stuff) what will get him media attention and fundings, nothign to do with science.

In future we will be travelling through time? If "time machine" WILL be invented in future and some people WILL travel back in time, our present time, have we met any?

People will NEVER travel back and forth in time, its a flawed logic. Same for life on far away planets, man of the stars and planets that we can view TODAY ceased to exist years ago. We only see them past their destruction because of the distance, light years away. Again flawed logic.

As for ancient civilisations and tribes knowing about star systems with accuracy was based on principles of geometry. You can use a million dollar pen that can write at zero gravity or you use a pencil. You can invent a telescope and some fancy gadget to measure the distances of the stars OR you can use on obelisk and principles of geometry for the same.

Aliens and communications with aliens is no different from the concept god and communications with god. Nobody has proof but yet they "believe"
Calm down there. No one is saying for sure that aliens exist, no one can prove they exist till they show up and you can't prove they don't exist. But you can look at different evidence and consider the possibility if you are not a close minded person.

Quote:
View Post
It is all to do with risk. You go to sea and if you met a mermaid then it is no big deal. No risk. You go for a walk in the forest and if you met a goblin then there is no big risk. If you venture into space where there might be a hostile civilisation that might nuke your planet as a consequence then there is a huge risk. People should plan and act according to the risk assessment.
Exactly!

Quote:
View Post
Ok, how about Yeti?

How about something extremely dangerous that exist in the ocean or teh forest that we do not know about yet?

I hope you have sufficient insurance cover against "Alien attack" Mr Risk Analyst.

Suggestion: Can we please have each members MENSA scores next to their profiles. It would save a lot of hassle.
Yeah starting with your LD scores. You are the one who sounds like an autistic, ADHD person. As huge as this universe is, what idiot would or could possibly think or believe that humans are the only intelligent beings out there? That's what sounds dumb.

Quote:
View Post
I used to be a member of Mensa.
Good! See he's the main one who sounds LD.

Quote:
View Post
The cleaner at the White House probably tells everybody that he works at the White House.
Where is the groan button when I need it.
__________________
~Life is a long discovery isn't it? You only get your wisdom bit by bit. ~

Last edited by PaperMoon2; 30.04.2010 at 22:42.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 30.04.2010, 22:10
PaperMoon2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 499
Groaned at 24 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
PaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of many
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Quote:
View Post
I am sure humans will venture into space, but the space between your ears seem impenetrable.
Oh stop that.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01.05.2010, 09:02
Bertrand - Geneva
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

I will just make a comment.

If I was an extra-terrestrial being, I would stay away for the furious and scary people from this planet.

Just look at you, you certainly have one of the most beautiful planet in the Universe, it's full of life, gives an amazing opportunity to grow in love with others species that are living with you at this time.

But no, you're just making wars for stupid reasons, running after the God you call Money, Love is the last thing you care about and you're bringing the Planet to a miscarriage (I did chose this word, it's absolutely the good One), to your miscarriage.

She has to react now.

No more choice.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01.05.2010, 09:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 1,969
Groaned at 170 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 1,132 Times in 622 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Lets be realistic.

If any alien arrives on Planet Earth; they are brighter and more advanced than us; so we will be without doubt an inferior being and the alien can decide how they want to treat us.

Last edited by Cashboy; 01.05.2010 at 09:52.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01.05.2010, 09:37
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,687
Groaned at 74 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 3,325 Times in 1,580 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

And lets be even more realistic. By the time they decide they would fancy killing us, we will be dead anw
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01.05.2010, 10:30
RolandRB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ex Basel
Posts: 569
Groaned at 138 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 170 Times in 107 Posts
RolandRB is considered knowledgeableRolandRB is considered knowledgeableRolandRB is considered knowledgeable
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Quote:
View Post
And lets be even more realistic. By the time they decide they would fancy killing us, we will be dead anw
That is by no means certain. On a planet like ours with multiple governments with some of the most powerful being hostile to each other, although there is the risk of wiping ourselves out there is also the possibility that one will sufficiently militarise and win against the other producing an overall leader. This might result in a military entry into space. Technology could evolve rapidly and this civilisation could pose a risk. For planets with single rule then they might be regarded as less of a potential threat and might even be invited into some sort of alliance with the trading of their resources for technology. This way that would be helped to survive and would be chanelled down a more peaceful path.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01.05.2010, 10:31
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,687
Groaned at 74 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 3,325 Times in 1,580 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Quote:
View Post
That is by no means certain. On a planet like ours with multiple governments with some of the most powerful being hostile to each other, although there is the risk of wiping ourselves out there is also the possibility that one will sufficiently militarise and win against the other producing an overall leader. This might result in a military entry into space. Technology could evolve rapidly and this civilisation could pose a risk. For planets with single rule then they might be regarded as less of a potential threat and might even be invited into some sort of alliance with the trading of their resources for technology. This way that would be helped to survive and would be chanelled down a more peaceful path.
Well if it happens in the next 50-60 years then yes otherwise we will be dead anw
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01.05.2010, 10:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 1,969
Groaned at 170 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 1,132 Times in 622 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Quote:
View Post
That is by no means certain. On a planet like ours with multiple governments with some of the most powerful being hostile to each other, although there is the risk of wiping ourselves out there is also the possibility that one will sufficiently militarise and win against the other producing an overall leader. This might result in a military entry into space. Technology could evolve rapidly and this civilisation could pose a risk. For planets with single rule then they might be regarded as less of a potential threat and might even be invited into some sort of alliance with the trading of their resources for technology. This way that would be helped to survive and would be chanelled down a more peaceful path.
You are obvioulsy not from this planet

If the alien can arrive now; and we don't know they even exist which we don't; they have to be way advanced compared to us (the fact that they got to us) and do you think they are going to be interested in a load of earth politicians arguing at each other.
I don't think so.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01.05.2010, 10:42
RolandRB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ex Basel
Posts: 569
Groaned at 138 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 170 Times in 107 Posts
RolandRB is considered knowledgeableRolandRB is considered knowledgeableRolandRB is considered knowledgeable
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Quote:
View Post
Well if it happens in the next 50-60 years then yes otherwise we will be dead anw
Maybe you are thinking that global warming will wipe out the population of the planet. I doubt it but it may kill an awful lot of people. But the poorer and low-lying land countries will take the biggest hit. The powerful states such as Russia, the US and China will survive and find some sort of way of coping and this may actually improve the chances of long-term survival of the population of the planet.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01.05.2010, 10:45
RolandRB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ex Basel
Posts: 569
Groaned at 138 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 170 Times in 107 Posts
RolandRB is considered knowledgeableRolandRB is considered knowledgeableRolandRB is considered knowledgeable
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Quote:
View Post
You are obvioulsy not from this planet

If the alien can arrive now; and we don't know they even exist which we don't; they have to be way advanced compared to us (the fact that they got to us) and do you think they are going to be interested in a load of earth politicians arguing at each other.
I don't think so.
Perhaps you might consider reading posts before you respond to them. I was talking about planets with a single rule in this case. That does not apply to Earth, obviously.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01.05.2010, 11:13
Bertrand - Geneva
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

I just have 3 questions.

  1. Why people think that extra-terrestrials beings would kill us ? It's an humain behaviour. Even if they were so much like us, wouldn't they had destroyed their civilization before been able to visit us ? (because of point 2)
  2. Such travel means a knowledge that even our most brilliant scientists and engineers just don't have and can't imagine. Just look at the progress that *we* made on the last two centuries. Now Imagine a civilization that's even only 1000 years older than us. What will be their knowledge about physics and energy ?
  3. Are Scientists so filled with pride about what they are that they can't accept the idea that somebody's more intelligent ?

Yes, I believe we are not the most intelligent and that other civilizations visit us since more time you can think.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01.05.2010, 11:19
scribble's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 8xxx
Posts: 685
Groaned at 18 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 598 Times in 304 Posts
scribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

FFS can the frigging aliens get here already and cause some serious cool mayhem!!!

Bertrand I am your alien God and I shall answer some of your questions cause I like you and your twisted sensitive ways

Quote:
View Post
  1. Why people think that extra-terrestrials beings would kill us ? It's an humain behaviour.
How do you know it's a human specific behaviour? I mean you have no alien behaviour data to compare with so you can't say anything about how aliens would behave. In fact they could be million times worse than us

Quote:
Even if they were so much like us, wouldn't they had destroyed their civilization before been able to visit us ?
Maybe they don't like destroying their own species but only other species?

Last edited by scribble; 01.05.2010 at 11:44.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01.05.2010, 12:12
Bertrand - Geneva
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 2
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Quote:
View Post
How do you know it's a human specific behaviour? I mean you have no alien behaviour data to compare with so you can't say anything about how aliens would behave. In fact they could be million times worse than us
You're right on this one. But I think they came in the ancient time, and as we are still here.....


Quote:
Maybe they don't like destroying their own species but only other species?
I thought you were my Alien God ? So you should know that ...
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01.05.2010, 12:18
scribble's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 8xxx
Posts: 685
Groaned at 18 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 598 Times in 304 Posts
scribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond reputescribble has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Donít talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Quote:
View Post
You're right on this one. But I think they came in the ancient time, and as we are still here.....
Guess work thinking we are all good at


Quote:
I thought you were my Alien God ? So you should know that ...
I know when I landed here but as your God I want you to find your own way. I don't want to spoon feed and spoil you
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School timetable is terrible don`t know if i am coming or going Sutter Complaints corner 121 23.01.2011 16:14
Aliens are among us Gastro Gnome General off-topic 9 27.11.2009 09:48
Don`t shoot me please. Sutter General off-topic 29 12.01.2009 17:11
Why donít some houses sell? Termite Other/general 14 16.01.2007 13:35


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0