Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02.05.2010, 16:43
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wülflingen, Winterthur
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
kamuk has no particular reputation at present
UK Mortgages

Hi
Sorry for the repeat thread, but can anyone recommend a broker or company to get a mortgage for a UK property (Buy to let) please? All my earnings are in Switzerland and i'm bank with UBS here.

Thanks
Kam
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02.05.2010, 16:56
jako's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Richterswil
Posts: 865
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 513 Times in 283 Posts
jako has a reputation beyond reputejako has a reputation beyond reputejako has a reputation beyond reputejako has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Mortgages

I think your best bet is UK banks / lenders. Few lenders are willing to consider cross border due to lack of market knowledge and potential issues regarding perfecting security. There may be some off shore banks / brokers who can help.

Also remember that when you have a UK property, then you will be taxed of any income in UK too.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02.05.2010, 17:19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Mortgages

I looked into this recently. I couldn't find any British lenders who would lend to me while I am based in CH, not even to switch an existing loan.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02.05.2010, 17:39
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Mortgages

No Swiss bank would lend on a UK property - why would they.

We used a broker to get one with Bank of Scotland. Cost us a bit more, but saved a lot of hassle as no one would touch us.

The person we dealt with was Jolian Pollock (tel +44 20 8566 7711). This was from a long time ago.

The address:
3-4 Abbey Parade
Hanger Lane
Ealing, London W5 1EE

To be honest I have no idea if the company is still around...

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02.05.2010, 20:29
ipoddle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 1,131
Groaned at 23 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,127 Times in 462 Posts
ipoddle has a reputation beyond reputeipoddle has a reputation beyond reputeipoddle has a reputation beyond reputeipoddle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Mortgages

Just gone through all this... got a new Buy to Let mortgage on a UK property

Give John a call .. if he can help he will (tell him Tim in Basel recommended him !)

Chris Moore
Independent Mortgage Consultant
John Charcol Associates
8th Floor Block C
Whitefriars
Lewins Mead
Bristol
BS1 2NT
tel: 08454131558
fax: 08454134061
mob: 07918721432
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02.05.2010, 20:34
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Mortgages

I have a mortgage with the Abbey National. Try them
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02.05.2010, 20:38
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 2,016
Groaned at 173 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 1,139 Times in 628 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Mortgages

Quote:
View Post
I have a mortgage with the Abbey National. Try them

Abbey National has become Satander recently.

I spend a substancial amount of time in the Uk at the moment and I don't recommend touching property in the UK for a while, especially if you are boring money on it; I think there are more repercussions to come and expect sterling to fall further against the Swiss Franc.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02.05.2010, 20:40
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Mortgages

Well I think property is crap in general for a number of reasons but I bought this property for someone else. And I think my local Kiosk is now owned by Santander now too.
Quote:
View Post
Abbey National has become Satander recently.

I spend a substancial amount of time in the Uk at the moment and I don't recommend touching property in the UK for a while, especially if you are boring money on it; I think there are more repercussions to come and expect sterling to fall further against the Swiss Franc.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02.05.2010, 20:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 2,016
Groaned at 173 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 1,139 Times in 628 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Mortgages

Quote:
View Post
Well I think property is crap in general for a number of reasons but I bought this property for someone else. And I think my local Kiosk is now owned by Santander now too.
I would agree that property is crap at the moment in Western Europe and USA for sure and I think wil be for another three years.
You can only make money renting if you manage and maintain the property yourself. as soon as you use agents, you will never make a bean.

I certainly wouldn't sell but if you want to buy; I have a property to sell in the UK if anyone is interested.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...y-7296966.html

I only have a small mortgage on the property and wonder if I am better of keeping it because not sure if I sold it whether the money would be safe in the bank with the state of the banks.
__________________
I do not have friends..........I have contingent liabilities
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02.05.2010, 20:59
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Mortgages

Quote:
View Post
Well I think property is crap in general for a number of reasons but I bought this property for someone else. And I think my local Kiosk is now owned by Santander now too.
And those reasons are ?
Just as I might be buying a UK property !

House prices up by 10% last month ... seems better than the stock market TBH, esp as the Euro issue escalates.
The GBP dropping further against the CHF ... maybe, but the alledged exposure of the CHF to the Greek /Spanish / Portugal issue is meant to be impressive

PS UK mortgage and buy to let ... it's a toughy unless you put down 25 - 40%. Even with the internationals
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02.05.2010, 21:05
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 2,016
Groaned at 173 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 1,139 Times in 628 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Mortgages

Quote:
View Post
And those reasons are ?
Just as I might be buying a UK property !

House prices up by 10% last month ... seems better than the stock market TBH, esp as the Euro issue escalates.
The GBP dropping further against the CHF ... maybe, but the alledged exposure of the CHF to the Greek /Spanish / Portugal issue is meant to be impressive

PS UK mortgage and buy to let ... it's a toughy unless you put down 25 - 40%. Even with the internationals
How is the CHF exposed to the Greek / Spanish/ Portugal issue more than the UK or anyone else......I don't understand this statement?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02.05.2010, 21:06
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Mortgages

Quote:
View Post
How is the CHF exposed to the Greek / Spanish/ Portugal issue more than the UK or anyone else......I don't understand this statement?
Dunno - but the Daily Telegraph was quite adamant.
I guess it depends on what bets they have placed.

The Uk isn't in the Euro ... so whilst aligned to it, and somewhat undervalued, is being look abit more favourably on! Depends if Gordo gets in ....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02.05.2010, 21:11
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 2,016
Groaned at 173 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 1,139 Times in 628 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Mortgages

Quote:
View Post
Dunno - but the Daily Telegraph was quite adamant.
Personally, I think the Euro will fall due to Greece, Portugal, Ireland etc. ; then sterling will fall when the state of the country is disclosed after the election.

That is why I am stating; hold on to your Swiss Francs; even the Swiss government have been selling the Swiss Franc and buying Euros to lower the value of the Swiss Franc so that gives you an idea how strong it is.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02.05.2010, 21:18
Hedgehog of death's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Brighton
Posts: 790
Groaned at 43 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 249 Posts
Hedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond reputeHedgehog of death has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Mortgages

Quote:
View Post
Personally, I think the Euro will fall due to Greece, Portugal, Ireland etc. ; then sterling will fall when the state of the country is disclosed after the election.

That is why I am stating; hold on to your Swiss Francs; even the Swiss government have been selling the Swiss Franc and buying Euros to lower the value of the Swiss Franc so that gives you an idea how strong it is.
Yes ... you are correct. If you are paid in CHF buying in the UK is a greater risk
But the CHF is highly over valued at the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02.05.2010, 21:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Mortgages

Quote:
View Post
<snip> I certainly wouldn't sell but if you want to buy; I have a property to sell in the UK if anyone is interested. <snip>
Yeah, I thought that was what you said.

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02.05.2010, 21:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 2,016
Groaned at 173 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 1,139 Times in 628 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Mortgages

Quote:
View Post
Yes ... you are correct. If you are paid in CHF buying in the UK is a greater risk
But the CHF is highly over valued at the moment.
Remember this post:

Today GB£1 = Euros 1.15
Today GB£1 = CHF 1.65

And lets see in a couple of months time.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02.05.2010, 22:06
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: UK Mortgages

Quote:
View Post
Remember this post:

Today GB£1 = Euros 1.15
Today GB£1 = CHF 1.65

And lets see in a couple of months time.
I think it's going to be about the same in a couple of months.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03.05.2010, 00:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 2,016
Groaned at 173 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 1,139 Times in 628 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Mortgages

Quote:
View Post
I think it's going to be about the same in a couple of months.
You could well be correct; I don't think there will be drastic moves but I expect the Swiss Franc to be up against both the Euro and Sterling.

Unfortunately I don't have much cash of any denomination.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03.05.2010, 13:52
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
whatdoiknow has no particular reputation at present
Re: UK Mortgages

I was also wondering where I could switch my mortgage from Sterling to CHF. seems like the sensible thing to do as my income is in CHF also I think as the franc is strong it is a good time to switch as my Chf debt becomes smaller. If exchange rates stregthen i benefit again....but there again whatdoiknow
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03.05.2010, 13:57
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 2,016
Groaned at 173 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 1,139 Times in 628 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK Mortgages

Quote:
View Post
I was also wondering where I could switch my mortgage from Sterling to CHF. seems like the sensible thing to do as my income is in CHF also I think as the franc is strong it is a good time to switch as my Chf debt becomes smaller. If exchange rates stregthen i benefit again....but there again whatdoiknow
Haven't you got that wrong?

If your income is in CHF and you expect other currencies (Euro and Sterling) to fall; then you are better off having your loans in non CHF currenices because the Loan surely needs less CHFs to pay it off?

I doubt if interest rates in UK will go up over the next three years.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mortgage, offshore, uk mortgage




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flexible mortgages Isambard Mews Finance/banking/taxation 10 29.03.2009 20:15
Swiss Mortgages for foreigners brickroad Finance/banking/taxation 18 20.10.2008 12:47
Property mortgages clive7 Housing in general 84 30.01.2008 10:49
Switching currencies for offshore mortgages Chester Finance/banking/taxation 6 26.11.2007 18:53


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0