Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 09.05.2010, 19:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: OOO
Posts: 3,724
Groaned at 79 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,017 Posts
Sada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

Quote:
View Post

Aside from that, we need to stop assuming that everyone is a complete moron and someone else has the right to tell the what they can do with themselves. That's where all the trouble starts.
You mean it gets you into trouble with the law?

It is all about politics in the end. Something starts to get out of control, a law comes into existence which of course will be broken etc. etc .etc.

... or did you have something else in mind SF?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09.05.2010, 20:00
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,375
Groaned at 207 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 9,703 Times in 3,747 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

Hemp could be even more important to the wold economy than oil and with more uses as well.
And as to the TCH bit well humans want to get high as a kite, I find chemical brain benders out of the Bayer labs worst by far.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09.05.2010, 20:01
Peg A's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 4,422
Groaned at 158 Times in 125 Posts
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,510 Posts
Peg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond reputePeg A has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

Legalize marijuana? I don't see the point in using it so I don't care if it's use becomes legal or not.

Then again, I don't see the point in getting drunk either.

I'm not saying I've never done either, there was plenty of time spent consuming (and recovering from consuming) alcohol in my younger days, I have had just as much fun being the designated driver as I had while tipsy.

Marijuana though, also not much point imo. Didn't feel so different from being tipsy except that when I tried it, I didn't give a flying rip how anyone else felt... that really isn't me.

I can see enjoying a little tipsy feeling (tipsy, not drunk) and also enjoy the taste of beer or wine when celebrating, having a good steak or some awesome grilled meats but smoking weed? Nope, I can't think of any time I'd WANT to not give a rip whether I hurt someone else.


On the other hand:
I can see that legalizing it would help with the real problem which is to take (some of) the power and wealth away from the dealers.


Meanwhile, about the clip in the OP. I think ya'll are getting a bit bent for the wrong reasons. Judges don't exactly hand out search warrants like they're candy... and that sort of search in full gear doesn't happen for simple reasons.

Whatever happened to the dog may have been rough - we didn't see it though so can only assume or go by whatever comments are entered to the video.

So, as I see it, some of ya'll are making a lot of assumptions about what happened.
__________________
The Joys of Opticianry
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09.05.2010, 20:04
PaperMoon2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 499
Groaned at 24 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
PaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of many
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

Quote:
View Post
I can argue both sides of the legalizing marijuana argument. For disciplined people who can use dope responsibility, I can't see the fuss. However, when I look around at the number of teenagers who over indulge, then I can see a real problem brewing with legalizing the substance as it will attract casual users to the fray. We have someone in our family who has dropped out of college, and can't hold down a job and is completely addicted to marijuana to get himself through each and every day. It's a pitiful situation. I know that you can say that alcohol and smoking tobacco can also lead to addiction problems, but do we really need to legalize another hazard? Allow people with nervous system disorders such as lupus or MS to access marijuana for medical relief just as any controlled substance should be.

On a personal note, I wouldn't touch the stuff. I get my highs from sport and intend to keep it that way.
I agree with this post. I am of mixed feelings about legalizing, I personally do now and would not use it but I think it's wrong for someone to go to jail for 5-10yrs for smoking it.

Quote:
View Post
I have to agree with you.

Back on topic: I think the sooner drugs are legalized and/or regulated the crazy and useless war against trafficking might stop.
I am of mixed feelings about legalizing marijuana but legalizing all drugs? No that will be disaster! You can't legalize crack, and all of those other hard core drugs no way. Right now there are still some people who are still deterred from using it because of the law make it legal and you have many many more addicts on your hand.
__________________
~Life is a long discovery isn't it? You only get your wisdom bit by bit. ~
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09.05.2010, 21:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: -
Posts: 1,640
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,202 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

The "debate" to whether or not legalize marijuana is one of the most blatant examples of intellectual double think that I know. There are any number of issues today, be it Palestine or even gay marriage, that are nuanced and complex, but this issue isn't nuanced at all. It's freaking obvious that marijuana should be legalized, and the arguments against it are so weak it's ridiculous.

Before engaging in any debate about "drugs", it's important to remember that we have already legalized one drug - alcohol. This drug - and it is absolutely a drug - is used recreationally by most of us. Lawyers, politicians, and policemen use this recreational drug while simultaneously talking about the ills of recreational drugs and imprisoning people for using them. But alcohol itself is a pretty harmful drug. We know that because it is: 1) addictive to a significant percentage of the population, 2) physically harmful to the liver, heart, and brain 3) causes thousands of deaths every year, 4) is one of the few drugs that actually induces violent behavior, an honor it shares with cocaine and meth. Despite all that, it is legal and consumed by the majority of people in countries where marijuana is illegal.

We're okay with alcohol because we tax and regulate it and we know that the vast majority of people will use it responsibly. We have special laws to deal with people who abuse it, drunk driving laws and treatment programs. We know alcohol is harmful, but we leave it up to individuals to decide if they think it is worth the risk. There is no reason we cannot apply the same logic to marijuana, which is definitely a less harmful drug than alcohol. This is not even up for debate.

Our society has developed some kind of crazy mass delusion to support this blatant contradiction. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone call alcohol a drug. We don't call alcohol overdoses "overdoses". People addicted to alcohol are called "alcoholics", not drug addicts. People get "drunk" and not "high" on it. And on and on...
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10.05.2010, 00:44
PaperMoon2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 499
Groaned at 24 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
PaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of many
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

Quote:
View Post
Legalize marijuana? I don't see the point in using it so I don't care if it's use becomes legal or not.

Then again, I don't see the point in getting drunk either.

I'm not saying I've never done either, there was plenty of time spent consuming (and recovering from consuming) alcohol in my younger days, I have had just as much fun being the designated driver as I had while tipsy.

Marijuana though, also not much point imo. Didn't feel so different from being tipsy except that when I tried it, I didn't give a flying rip how anyone else felt... that really isn't me.

I can see enjoying a little tipsy feeling (tipsy, not drunk) and also enjoy the taste of beer or wine when celebrating, having a good steak or some awesome grilled meats but smoking weed? Nope, I can't think of any time I'd WANT to not give a rip whether I hurt someone else.


On the other hand:
I can see that legalizing it would help with the real problem which is to take (some of) the power and wealth away from the dealers.


Meanwhile, about the clip in the OP. I think ya'll are getting a bit bent for the wrong reasons. Judges don't exactly hand out search warrants like they're candy... and that sort of search in full gear doesn't happen for simple reasons.

Whatever happened to the dog may have been rough - we didn't see it though so can only assume or go by whatever comments are entered to the video.

So, as I see it, some of ya'll are making a lot of assumptions about what happened.
I agree with you Peg, I never could see the point or attraction in getting drunk or high. I guess for some who have depression or problems they may want to get high or drunk to "forget" their problems but for me, I just don't see it. It's just pointless because it doesn't make the problems go away it only ADDS problems to the problems you already have. So I don't get it. But for those who are into marijuana I don't care either way I guess. If it's legalized I won't get upset or protest or anything but if it stays illegal I won't get upset abut it either. I'll just tell people don't use it or sell it if it's illegal.

But hard core really addictive drugs like crack and meth should never never never never never ever be legalized.
__________________
~Life is a long discovery isn't it? You only get your wisdom bit by bit. ~
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10.05.2010, 00:46
PaperMoon2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 499
Groaned at 24 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
PaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of many
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

Quote:
View Post
I agree with this post. I am of mixed feelings about legalizing, I personally do now and would not use it but I think it's wrong for someone to go to jail for 5-10yrs for smoking it.



I am of mixed feelings about legalizing marijuana but legalizing all drugs? No that will be disaster! You can't legalize crack, and all of those other hard core drugs no way. Right now there are still some people who are still deterred from using it because of the law make it legal and you have many many more addicts on your hand.
LOL! I meant to say I personally do NOT and would not use pot.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10.05.2010, 00:50
PaperMoon2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 499
Groaned at 24 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
PaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of many
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

Quote:
View Post
The "debate" to whether or not legalize marijuana is one of the most blatant examples of intellectual double think that I know. There are any number of issues today, be it Palestine or even gay marriage, that are nuanced and complex, but this issue isn't nuanced at all. It's freaking obvious that marijuana should be legalized, and the arguments against it are so weak it's ridiculous.

Before engaging in any debate about "drugs", it's important to remember that we have already legalized one drug - alcohol. This drug - and it is absolutely a drug - is used recreationally by most of us. Lawyers, politicians, and policemen use this recreational drug while simultaneously talking about the ills of recreational drugs and imprisoning people for using them. But alcohol itself is a pretty harmful drug. We know that because it is: 1) addictive to a significant percentage of the population, 2) physically harmful to the liver, heart, and brain 3) causes thousands of deaths every year, 4) is one of the few drugs that actually induces violent behavior, an honor it shares with cocaine and meth. Despite all that, it is legal and consumed by the majority of people in countries where marijuana is illegal.

We're okay with alcohol because we tax and regulate it and we know that the vast majority of people will use it responsibly. We have special laws to deal with people who abuse it, drunk driving laws and treatment programs. We know alcohol is harmful, but we leave it up to individuals to decide if they think it is worth the risk. There is no reason we cannot apply the same logic to marijuana, which is definitely a less harmful drug than alcohol. This is not even up for debate.

Our society has developed some kind of crazy mass delusion to support this blatant contradiction. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone call alcohol a drug. We don't call alcohol overdoses "overdoses". People addicted to alcohol are called "alcoholics", not drug addicts. People get "drunk" and not "high" on it. And on and on...
Okay good post. That's why I am of mixed feelings and would have no problem whether it's legalized or not. I don't use it so it doesn't matter to me if it stays illegal or not.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10.05.2010, 00:58
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,952
Groaned at 295 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 19,020 Times in 8,000 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

Quote:
View Post
The "debate" to whether or not legalize marijuana is one of the most blatant examples of intellectual double think that I know. There are any number of issues today, be it Palestine or even gay marriage, that are nuanced and complex, but this issue isn't nuanced at all. It's freaking obvious that marijuana should be legalized, and the arguments against it are so weak it's ridiculous.

Before engaging in any debate about "drugs", it's important to remember that we have already legalized one drug - alcohol. This drug - and it is absolutely a drug - is used recreationally by most of us. Lawyers, politicians, and policemen use this recreational drug while simultaneously talking about the ills of recreational drugs and imprisoning people for using them. But alcohol itself is a pretty harmful drug. We know that because it is: 1) addictive to a significant percentage of the population, 2) physically harmful to the liver, heart, and brain 3) causes thousands of deaths every year, 4) is one of the few drugs that actually induces violent behavior, an honor it shares with cocaine and meth. Despite all that, it is legal and consumed by the majority of people in countries where marijuana is illegal.

We're okay with alcohol because we tax and regulate it and we know that the vast majority of people will use it responsibly. We have special laws to deal with people who abuse it, drunk driving laws and treatment programs. We know alcohol is harmful, but we leave it up to individuals to decide if they think it is worth the risk. There is no reason we cannot apply the same logic to marijuana, which is definitely a less harmful drug than alcohol. This is not even up for debate.

Our society has developed some kind of crazy mass delusion to support this blatant contradiction. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone call alcohol a drug. We don't call alcohol overdoses "overdoses". People addicted to alcohol are called "alcoholics", not drug addicts. People get "drunk" and not "high" on it. And on and on...
for me the biggest benefit of legalisation would be to take control of the entire value-chain and deprive organised crime of the income stream.

the product could be sold as a government monopoly and distributed using existing cigarette infrastructure and restrictions.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 27.12.2011, 14:41
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

interesting comparison I came across.

Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 27.12.2011, 15:08
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,034
Groaned at 308 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 23,193 Times in 9,419 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

The argument seems to be that alcohol/coca cola/tobacco are addictive and harmful, yet legal, so marijuana which is not as harmful should also be legal.

btw - the disturbing part of that video, which no-one seems to have commented on (maybe I missed it) is that they shot the guys dog. That seems beyond the remit of a search warrant. I'm fairly sure that in the UK, if they know there's a dog on the premises, they bring dog handlers with them. Otherwise, the raid seems not particularly heavy handed - for someone suspect of dealing, as opposed to simple possession. The fact is that the distribution of illegal drugs are intimately connected with all sorts of other crimes and human exploitation.
__________________
Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 27.12.2011, 15:50
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 1,509
Groaned at 139 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 1,730 Times in 793 Posts
FCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond reputeFCBarca has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

Legalize it, didn't they just recently approve growth of plants for private use in several cantons?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 27.12.2011, 16:01
Kristanez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Home and native land
Posts: 600
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 589 Times in 252 Posts
Kristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

I'm not sure where I stand on the legalization aspects of this debate, but I don't think there is a simple answer.

THC levels have been shown to be as much as 15% higher nowadays than back in the good ol' days, and sometimes it is cut with other substances.

In my last job that served teens who struggle with addictions, there was newer research coming out that stated particularly for young people, pot use substantially increased the risk of mental health problems, specifically schizophrenia. So the research is there, but also in assessing and working with these teens, I was shocked by how many of them saw/heard things that others do not, thereby placing them on the continuum towards a psychotic break with reality. My youngest client was 9...so accessibility doesn't seem to be an issue.

Does everyone have that reaction? Of course not. Is it worth it? I'm not convinced. Would legalizing it fix the problems? Probably not, but I guess I don't believe there is a tidy solution.

Last edited by Kristanez; 27.12.2011 at 16:02. Reason: type-os
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 27.12.2011, 16:09
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

By legalizing it you can control what is in there. You can also have a better control on who produce it and who sells it. You can also have a better control (again, to an extent) of who consumes it.

On this, I think the same about prostitution.... Make it legal so you can make it more difficult for the criminals.

Hopefully.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 27.12.2011, 16:12
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

Quote:
View Post
........pot use substantially increased the risk of mental health problems, specifically schizophrenia. .....

I've read a lot of this research, yes and quite a bit has been published. But all of the studies are poorly done and improperly analyzed. I'm yet to see a single publication that can actually connection the mental health problems directly to pot use.

There have been many more studies linking positive medical connections however.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 27.12.2011, 16:32
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,034
Groaned at 308 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 23,193 Times in 9,419 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

It's odd that marijuana is (uniquely?) singled out so that it's pharmacological use is proscribed, when diamorphine (aka heroin) is routinely prescribed to women in labour. But medically approved use is not the same as legalisation for recreational use. I doubt many would argue against the former.

I think the Swiss approach to illegal drugs is correct. Allow people to register as addicts. They can get their fix, without resorting to crime. As a result of addicts living longer, you can see what it does to them, which decreases the attraction for younger people, as old people are definitely not seen as cool. Society as a whole benefits.
__________________
Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 27.12.2011, 16:50
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

Quote:
View Post
It's odd that marijuana is (uniquely?) singled out so that it's pharmacological use is proscribed, when diamorphine (aka heroin) is routinely prescribed to women in labour. But medically approved use is not the same as legalisation for recreational use. I doubt many would argue against the former.

I think the Swiss approach to illegal drugs is correct. Allow people to register as addicts. They can get their fix, without resorting to crime. As a result of addicts living longer, you can see what it does to them, which decreases the attraction for younger people, as old people are definitely not seen as cool. Society as a whole benefits.
I can't see a thanks button, but I agree.

Why legalise it? Don't we have enough problems already? Doesn't long term THC use, cause damage to the brain, resulting in individuals being unsociable?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 27.12.2011, 16:57
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

Quote:
View Post
I can't see a thanks button, but I agree.

Why legalise it? Don't we have enough problems already? Doesn't long term THC use, cause damage to the brain, resulting in individuals being unsociable?
I have yet to see any credible reports of brain damage by THC and as per sociability, I have found users to be the most sociable, friendly accepting people in general-although that could be attributed to people who are normally social, friendly and accepting also being users.

The question comes down to whether we want our government controlling what we put in our bodies. If yes, then alcohol, cigarettes, unhealthy food, and a whole mirage of other items must also be banned.

Policing and control costs of this substance are ridiculous and IMO a waste. Decriminalization is a good step in the right direction
__________________
"You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com" -Benjamin Franklin
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 27.12.2011, 17:04
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,034
Groaned at 308 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 23,193 Times in 9,419 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

Quote:
View Post
...
The question comes down to whether we want our government controlling what we put in our bodies. If yes, then alcohol, cigarettes, unhealthy food, and a whole mirage of other items must also be banned...
That is a logical non-sequitur. Control of some substances that are harmful does not predicate that all harmful substances must be banned.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 27.12.2011, 17:06
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,150
Groaned at 33 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 4,955 Times in 2,235 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should marijuana be legalized, or is this the answer......

Quote:
View Post
That is a logical non-sequitor. Control of some substances that are harmful does not predicate that all harmful substances must be banned.
That is true. But as there hasn't been many (if any) harmful effects attributed to marijuana, there has been rather many positives. The other mentioned substances (namely alcohol and cigarettes), are know and documented as extremely dangerous to health.

There is an ideal middle ground, it just seems logically odd that the substance of topic is misplaced.

Last edited by Chemmie; 27.12.2011 at 17:08. Reason: rewording
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medical Marijuana - legal in Canton St. Gallen? srtgray Swiss politics/news 1 30.10.2009 11:53
Neighbours marijuana smoke - what are our rights? loveissplendid Other/general 18 24.10.2009 16:23
Marijuana in garden babua Other/general 22 30.09.2009 18:16
Marijuana vending machines debydebo International affairs/politics 3 31.01.2008 00:00
Do you know the answer? Sutter Jokes/funnies 68 05.11.2007 18:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0