Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.01.2011, 12:40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hinwil
Posts: 56
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Shakey has no particular reputation at present
Any opinions on Rafz/Eglisau or Dielsdorf/Regensdorf?

Hi all

After 10 years in the Berner Seeland, our jobs will take us to Zürich. To keep this brief, we've already had the city experience from our backgrounds and have really enjoyed the rural life in our house in our little farming village. This move will be permanent (90%), so a house is again our preference. Driving around the Kanton on weekends and also virtually zooming around Google-Earth, we eliminated more regions than we liked, but our attention has fallen on a few areas, including the Furttal (Dielsdorf/Regensdorf/Dänikon etc) and the north end of Bülach (Eglisau/Hüntwangen/Rafz).

Does anyone have positive or negative opinions they would like to share about life in these two areas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.01.2011, 15:24
jaudi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 559
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 489 Times in 227 Posts
jaudi has a reputation beyond reputejaudi has a reputation beyond reputejaudi has a reputation beyond reputejaudi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on Rafz/Eglisau or Dielsdorf/Regensdorf?

I considered buying a place in Regensdorf last year but decided against. Although there is a reasonable shopping centre there, it seems there is not much else. I found road access to/from motorway is a bit of a pain (even though it runs quite close) and train access is currently a bit poor (slow S6 route through Seebach), although this should improve in 2012/2013 I think.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03.01.2011, 15:54
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,152
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,077 Times in 10,579 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on Rafz/Eglisau or Dielsdorf/Regensdorf?

Quote:
View Post
I considered buying a place in Regensdorf last year but decided against. Although there is a reasonable shopping centre there, it seems there is not much else. I found road access to/from motorway is a bit of a pain (even though it runs quite close) and train access is currently a bit poor (slow S6 route through Seebach), although this should improve in 2012/2013 I think.
Eglisau/Hüntwangen/Rafz are all nice places to live; convenient to the airport so quite multi-national communities who live there & work at the airport. Close to the German border for cheap shopping (all big German discounters within 5/10 minute drive) & good value German restaurants (e.g. Schweinschnitzel & frites for 8 euro versus at least 25 CHF on the Swiss side).
Do check the tax rates; surprisingly high "tax foot" without much in the way of amenities provided.
Do not even think of commuting to Zurich by car; Rafz/Eglisau are often in the traffic news. Trains about every 30 minutes, more frequent in rush hour.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03.01.2011, 16:26
PerthPair's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Höngg, Zürich
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 19 Posts
PerthPair has made some interesting contributions
Re: Any opinions on Rafz/Eglisau or Dielsdorf/Regensdorf?

I have to agree with jaudio's comments on Regensdorf
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.01.2011, 01:23
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 18,978
Groaned at 332 Times in 257 Posts
Thanked 11,715 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on Rafz/Eglisau or Dielsdorf/Regensdorf?

Quote:
View Post
Hi all

After 10 years in the Berner Seeland, our jobs will take us to Zürich. To keep this brief, we've already had the city experience from our backgrounds and have really enjoyed the rural life in our house in our little farming village. This move will be permanent (90%), so a house is again our preference. Driving around the Kanton on weekends and also virtually zooming around Google-Earth, we eliminated more regions than we liked, but our attention has fallen on a few areas, including the Furttal (Dielsdorf/Regensdorf/Dänikon etc) and the north end of Bülach (Eglisau/Hüntwangen/Rafz).

Does anyone have positive or negative opinions they would like to share about life in these two areas?

Thanks
Eglisau = OK, but Rafz and Hüntwangen are a bit off-world. Regensdorf=OK and Dielsdorf acceptable, but Dänikon a bit in the prairies. Bülach = OK, as in Bülach you have an excellent rail-station with heaps of SBB and ZVV connections, many restaurants, a respectable hospital, some shopping centers, in other words a small town on its way UP (Eglisau is NOT "north end" of Bülach)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.01.2011, 06:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hinwil
Posts: 56
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Shakey has no particular reputation at present
Re: Any opinions on Rafz/Eglisau or Dielsdorf/Regensdorf?

I meant the north end of the Bülach district, not the town.

How is the noise from airport traffic in Bülach?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05.01.2011, 23:24
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,152
Groaned at 511 Times in 434 Posts
Thanked 20,077 Times in 10,579 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any opinions on Rafz/Eglisau or Dielsdorf/Regensdorf?

Quote:
View Post
I meant the north end of the Bülach district, not the town.

How is the noise from airport traffic in Bülach?
Not good

Eglisau is OK, protected by hills that the airplanes fly around - not over.

Huntwagen not so good, Rafz better
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27.12.2011, 09:47
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
zikko has no particular reputation at present
Re: Any opinions on Rafz/Eglisau or Dielsdorf/Regensdorf?

Eglisau is a very nice town, no more plane traffic (there was some about one year ago), but the fog is intense in the valley, and the church bells are really a pain. Time to Zurich (City Center) by train is around 25 minutes, with train every hour.
By car, traffic is too much between 6:30 - 8:30 and 16:00 - 18:00 to come back from Zurich.

Cheers,

Zikko
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
eglisau nids Housing in general 3 19.09.2013 21:10
eglisau kamka Housing in general 0 25.03.2009 10:57


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0