Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29.07.2007, 23:09
moula's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 76
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
moula has no particular reputation at present
Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop? [Zurich]

I am new to Zurich and need to find cheap furniture shops. Please can somebody give me an idea of where they are and how to get to them?
Thanks
Moula
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.07.2007, 07:11
Polorise's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: about there
Posts: 2,738
Groaned at 26 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,259 Posts
Polorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

Quote:
View Post
I am new to Zurich and need to find cheap furniture shops. Please can somebody give me an idea of where they are and how to get to them?
Thanks
Moula
www.ikea.ch for starters & as you seem to come from Zürich, Dietlikon will be the one for you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30.07.2007, 07:21
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Oerlikon
Posts: 165
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 111 Times in 53 Posts
chuk has earned some respectchuk has earned some respect
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

agreed, but if you go to the one in Spreitenbach , there are a multitude of other furniture shops closely accessible by foot in the Tivoli / Shoppi shopping centres. Found Dietlikon + surrounding area a pain for looking at other furniture shops as it involved many short car runs.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.07.2007, 19:40
moula's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 76
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
moula has no particular reputation at present
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

How do I get to these places without a car? I tried to get to IKEA today on the tram and then realised it didnt go that far. If I got the train which is the correct stop? What about in the city are there not any places there? I walked around for hours today and found nothing, not cheap anyway!

Thanks
M
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30.07.2007, 20:19
Jekyll's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 886
Groaned at 35 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 475 Posts
Jekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond reputeJekyll has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

http://www.sbb.ch
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30.07.2007, 20:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

For the second time today I am reaching for the "Use Your Initiative" or "Lazy" button in response to a post, and I am left wanting.

dave

Quote:
View Post
How do I get to these places without a car? I tried to get to IKEA today on the tram and then realised it didnt go that far. If I got the train which is the correct stop? What about in the city are there not any places there? I walked around for hours today and found nothing, not cheap anyway!

Thanks
M
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 30.07.2007, 21:01
moula's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 76
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
moula has no particular reputation at present
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

Left wanting what exactly? A life? So you dont have to waste time posting unhelpful coments? Or a heart so you can spare a thought for someone all alone in a new foriegn place?

Lazy is wasting you time posting useless comments on the internet. Not getting up and going out into the world to find out for your self.
I am merely asking for a helping hand as I thought that is what this forum was for. I thought this was supposed to be a supportive community, I hope not everyone in Switzerland is like you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank moula for this useful post:
This user groans at moula for this post:
  #8  
Old 30.07.2007, 21:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,531
Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

Quote:
View Post
. Not getting up and going out into the world to find out for your self.
Have you tried looking up the webpage for Ikea Zurich? The directions are on the main page....

Quote:
I am merely asking for a helping hand as I thought that is what this forum was for. I thought this was supposed to be a supportive community, I hope not everyone in Switzerland is like you.
This forum is extremely supportive when it senses a minimum of personal involvement beforehand. "I got on the tram and realised it doesn't go there" doesn't sound like much of an effort.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30.07.2007, 22:06
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

Oh dear. This is not rocket science. If you want some help, then make a <expletive deleted> effort. Many people including myself are happy to help.

I know exactly where the cheap furniture shops are. Before you congratulate me, maybe you too can find them...

Your question smacks of: I am coming to Zürich, please sort out my problems before I get there, be quick about it and have the answer waiting. Have you looked at all ? Have you thought about the question even ?

If I posted the question. "I am coming to Zürich and want a car. Where should I buy one?", it will get a much less considered response than if I indicated the effort I had put in so far to both define the question and solve the problem. That is not even mentioning the resource that is the forum archive.

Have fun,
dave


Quote:
View Post
Left wanting what exactly? A life? So you dont have to waste time posting unhelpful coments? Or a heart so you can spare a thought for someone all alone in a new foriegn place?

Lazy is wasting you time posting useless comments on the internet. Not getting up and going out into the world to find out for your self.
I am merely asking for a helping hand as I thought that is what this forum was for. I thought this was supposed to be a supportive community, I hope not everyone in Switzerland is like you.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30.07.2007, 22:41
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
coolbuddy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

Hello,
I would suggest u to go for second hand shops n have a look ..there r lots in zurich...
hope u will get some cheap furnitures there....
Cheers
sajid
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 31.07.2007, 04:56
Polorise's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: about there
Posts: 2,738
Groaned at 26 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,259 Posts
Polorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

Good to see that we have a real expert on the case of the missing cheap furniture shop.

Last edited by Polorise; 31.07.2007 at 06:39.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 31.07.2007, 07:32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Geneva
Posts: 89
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thambo has made some interesting contributions
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

Quote:
View Post
Left wanting what exactly? A life? So you dont have to waste time posting unhelpful coments? Or a heart so you can spare a thought for someone all alone in a new foriegn place?

Lazy is wasting you time posting useless comments on the internet. Not getting up and going out into the world to find out for your self.
I am merely asking for a helping hand as I thought that is what this forum was for. I thought this was supposed to be a supportive community, I hope not everyone in Switzerland is like you.
The internet is your friend

Try going to the ikea webpage - I am sure they will have directions on there
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 31.07.2007, 07:54
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

Dont you have a vested interest in this question ? Please advise the poor chap...

dave

Quote:
View Post
Good to see that we have a real expert on the case of the missing cheap furniture shop.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 31.07.2007, 08:56
Polorise's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: about there
Posts: 2,738
Groaned at 26 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,259 Posts
Polorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

Quote:
View Post
Dont you have a vested interest in this question ? Please advise the poor chap...
mate, I am affordable, but never, ever cheap ....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08.08.2007, 13:29
hcommdoc's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: lugano
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
hcommdoc has no particular reputation at present
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

I am brand new to Lugano and am looking for a good source for used furniture. I found the Ikea (yes, the website gives you their locations) and have searched the yellow pages (http://www.directories.ch/) for used furniture & second hand furniture.

In North America the best place is craigslist.com. I search it here and there is a craigslist for Zurich and Geneva. There are three requests to the owner of craigslist to create a Lugano section, but it does not yet exist.
So, is there a web site that is comparable to Craigslist for the Lugano area? If not, can you recommend any sources that could be useful here? I read on another thread that a person found furniture at "Arredo Píu near Varese", which I will check out.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08.08.2007, 14:37
Wednesday's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scandinavia (ex-Bern)
Posts: 158
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 56 Times in 36 Posts
Wednesday has made some interesting contributions
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

I don't know the Italian for Brockenhaus (German word for charity shop selling donated goods including furniture) but this website lists a couple of places in Lugano anyway.

Broki.ch list of Brockenhäuser by canton

I'm sure there are others on here with better local knowledge.

I visited such a place here in Berne and saw some reasonable tables and whatnot, all with 'sold' stickers already on them ... timing is everything, I guess. Lots of good stuff available which would fit with a decor theme "middle class wedding presents 1971" just in case that is a look you were considering. Inexpensive delivery was available.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08.08.2007, 14:41
Polorise's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: about there
Posts: 2,738
Groaned at 26 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,259 Posts
Polorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond reputePolorise has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

Quote:
View Post
I don't know the Italian for Brockenhaus (German word for charity shop selling donated goods including furniture) but this website lists a couple of places in Lugano anyway.

Broki.ch list of Brockenhäuser by canton

I'm sure there are others on here with better local knowledge.

I visited such a place here in Berne and saw some reasonable tables and whatnot, all with 'sold' stickers already on them ... timing is everything, I guess. Lots of good stuff available which would fit with a decor theme "middle class wedding presents 1971" just in case that is a look you were considering. Inexpensive delivery was available.
Salvation Army Brockis are where Paolo, Saijith & all should be heading .... have a look on the left hand side, 3rd drop down menu .... cheap shopping for all the family ...

or for the musically inclined, click here we are now doing John Wayne impressions in the office
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08.08.2007, 16:35
hcommdoc's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: lugano
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
hcommdoc has no particular reputation at present
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

awesome. thank you both!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08.08.2007, 19:51
sonnyk's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kanton Zug-Baar
Posts: 147
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 56 Times in 34 Posts
sonnyk is considered knowledgeablesonnyk is considered knowledgeablesonnyk is considered knowledgeable
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

Not sure what your budget is, however, in addition to Brocki`s around Zurich, check out www.fundgrube.ch which has some classified ads and information on Flohmarkt, etc.

Otherwise, for new items, you can also check out Lipo (not sure where they are located around Zurich) Conforama and Jysk...all have cheap and/or reasonably priced items. You should get flyers in your mail for those stores.

Otherwise, check out www.ricardo.ch for individuals selling furniture (look under kleininserat) and www.xpatxchange.ch often has expats who are moving and need to sell furniture quickly. You can post an ad for free saying that you are looking for items.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08.08.2007, 21:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: seuzach
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
cred has no particular reputation at present
Re: Where is IKEA or other cheap furniture shop?

If you take the train to Stetbach (sp?) then take the 787 bus it drops you at IKEA.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
returning ikea furniture vishy83 Other/general 11 10.07.2007 09:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0