Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.01.2011, 11:12
planetali's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brighton
Posts: 246
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 179 Times in 97 Posts
planetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeable
Mythical stick-on curtain track?

When I moved into my apartment (new in Switzerland), the agent waved at the blank window and said I could get stick on curtain track, presumably to avoid drilling into the ceiling. I cannot find this anywhere (Obi, Ikea, Manor, Migros Micasa, Coop and google). Thanks to EF I know to look for Gardinenschienen, and I know the word for to stick is kleben, but google is not my friend.

Was the agent making this up? There is track in one of the bedrooms, but as far as I can see it's drilled in.

Anyone know where to find stick on curtain track (Basel)? Any experience of either mounting it or taking it down? Stick on I can put up myself, drill in I'll have to pay someone - I'm a liability with my power drill

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22.01.2011, 11:21
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mythical stick-on curtain track?

Yes he was being stupid. Some adhesives, 2 part Araldite, would do the job, but it would be a permanent fixture.

Papa Goose on EF lives in Zurich, is British and does this sort of thing.

If he can't, then type in your post code on the link here and a list of retired people will pop up, with their offered skills,

http://www.rentarentner.ch/rentnervermietung.html
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 22.01.2011, 11:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 2,362
Groaned at 24 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,164 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mythical stick-on curtain track?

Recently I saw an ad for an extending pole that would push in against the ends of the window frames - previously I had only seen the variety that would extend just long enough to fit above the edge of a bath, for hanging shower curtains. The ones in the ad came in various sizes and had a finish more suitable for a living room than the plain plastic type bathroom ones.

Or was the landlord suggesting you buy stick on hooks ( any hardware shop) and add a pole to rest across the top of the hooks?

Let me know what solution you decide on, as I am trying to decide how to come up with a double track - I want quick pulling thick curtains, but also light ones just to block out the neighbours' view into my apartment during the day.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank biff for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 22.01.2011, 12:12
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 5,817
Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 5,486 Times in 2,609 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mythical stick-on curtain track?

There are two types that you can get that attach to the window for hanging cafe' style' curtains.... like this:

One sort goes over the top of the window frame:
http://www.bonprixsecure.com/ch/Einh...=article_image

The other sort has an extendable rod, and clips either side:
http://www.bonprixsecure.com/ch/Span...=article_image

They aren't suitable for full-length curtains, though - just for small window-sized curtains...

I can't imagine anything that could stick and be strong enough to support a full sized curtain - curtains are very heavy and need to also be moved back and forth which puts a lot of pressure on the system...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank swisspea for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 22.01.2011, 12:27
planetali's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brighton
Posts: 246
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 179 Times in 97 Posts
planetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mythical stick-on curtain track?

Quote:
View Post
Yes he was being stupid. Some adhesives, 2 part Araldite, would do the job, but it would be a permanent fixture.

Papa Goose on EF lives in Zurich, is British and does this sort of thing.

If he can't, then type in your post code on the link here and a list of retired people will pop up, with their offered skills,

http://www.rentarentner.ch/rentnervermietung.html
Wow, you guys were quick! I'm in Basel, and have a contact who would do it, but I love this rentarentner thing, what a brilliant idea, now bookmarked - thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.01.2011, 12:33
planetali's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brighton
Posts: 246
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 179 Times in 97 Posts
planetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mythical stick-on curtain track?

Quote:
View Post
There are two types that you can get that attach to the window for hanging cafe' style' curtains.... like this:

One sort goes over the top of the window frame:
http://www.bonprixsecure.com/ch/Einh...=article_image

The other sort has an extendable rod, and clips either side:
http://www.bonprixsecure.com/ch/Span...=article_image

They aren't suitable for full-length curtains, though - just for small window-sized curtains...

I can't imagine anything that could stick and be strong enough to support a full sized curtain - curtains are very heavy and need to also be moved back and forth which puts a lot of pressure on the system...
These are great - thanks so much for the links. Could work for my kitchen and other bedroom, but sadly not the living room (window full width and height of wall - also sliding door). Wasn't really thinking of heavy curtains, more voile-type thing - will investigate for other rooms - thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22.01.2011, 12:38
planetali's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brighton
Posts: 246
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 179 Times in 97 Posts
planetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mythical stick-on curtain track?

Quote:
View Post
Recently I saw an ad for an extending pole that would push in against the ends of the window frames - previously I had only seen the variety that would extend just long enough to fit above the edge of a bath, for hanging shower curtains. The ones in the ad came in various sizes and had a finish more suitable for a living room than the plain plastic type bathroom ones.

Or was the landlord suggesting you buy stick on hooks ( any hardware shop) and add a pole to rest across the top of the hooks?

Let me know what solution you decide on, as I am trying to decide how to come up with a double track - I want quick pulling thick curtains, but also light ones just to block out the neighbours' view into my apartment during the day.
Again, thank you! And again this could work nicely for my kitchen and bedroom, but not the living room as there is only wall one side, it doglegs the other side into the kitchen.

But I have seen double track on my various visits to the stores I've been to - can't remember exactly which ones, but pretty sure both in Obi and Micasa, with the intention just as you describe (picture on pack )

Looks like I'll have to drill in and hope they'll accept it as a fixture when I leave...

PS - can you remember anything more about the ad - what it was called, where from?

Last edited by planetali; 22.01.2011 at 12:39. Reason: added PS
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.01.2011, 12:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: basel
Posts: 38
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
nannorcha has no particular reputation at present
Re: Mythical stick-on curtain track?

Quote:
View Post
When I moved into my apartment (new in Switzerland), the agent waved at the blank window and said I could get stick on curtain track, presumably to avoid drilling into the ceiling. I cannot find this anywhere (Obi, Ikea, Manor, Migros Micasa, Coop and google). Thanks to EF I know to look for Gardinenschienen, and I know the word for to stick is kleben, but google is not my friend.

Was the agent making this up? There is track in one of the bedrooms, but as far as I can see it's drilled in.

Anyone know where to find stick on curtain track (Basel)? Any experience of either mounting it or taking it down? Stick on I can put up myself, drill in I'll have to pay someone - I'm a liability with my power drill

Thanks in advance.
i have seen the roll up curtains in OBI which don't require any drilling..atleast thats what the label says...cafe curtains would be a good idea for kitchen..i recently made cafe curtains for my kitchen window with a couple of table napkins i found on sale in Globus and hung them with help of stick on rods that they sell in OBI..the whole stuff cost me about 10-11 chf..and they look quite beautiful! hope u find the right ones!! all the best!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nannorcha for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 22.01.2011, 13:45
planetali's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brighton
Posts: 246
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 179 Times in 97 Posts
planetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mythical stick-on curtain track?

Nannorcha, thanks - I didn't see either of those things in Obi, but now I know they're there, I'll go have another look!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22.01.2011, 13:56
JKP JKP is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Thalwil, Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
JKP has no particular reputation at present
Re: Mythical stick-on curtain track?

Quote:
View Post
Yes he was being stupid. Some adhesives, 2 part Araldite, would do the job, but it would be a permanent fixture.

Papa Goose on EF lives in Zurich, is British and does this sort of thing.

If he can't, then type in your post code on the link here and a list of retired people will pop up, with their offered skills,

http://www.rentarentner.ch/rentnervermietung.html
THX! Great idea!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07.03.2011, 08:49
planetali's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Brighton
Posts: 246
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 179 Times in 97 Posts
planetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeableplanetali is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mythical stick-on curtain track?

Yes, I still have no curtains. I bought the bonprix extending cafe-style clip on rods, but they don't fit my windows so I'll be selling 'em here. Looks like I have no alternative but to drill into the ceiling. Ho hum.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
curtain track, curtains




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non stick cooking spray Yokine Food and drink 15 03.12.2010 11:34
Chapman stick Dougal's Breakfast General off-topic 7 26.01.2010 03:42
Stick Insects? anyone got a source Zug bound Other/general 9 02.10.2007 12:35
Printed stick on film for windows AngeK Other/general 2 24.11.2006 22:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0