Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.03.2011, 00:06
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wokingham
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
petegill has no particular reputation at present
Moving to Zurich, where to rent?

Hi,
New to this site, but already loving the volume of helpful advice that is here.

My wife and I have been offered the chance to move to Zurich with work. We have just returned from a couple of days exploring the city and getting an idea of where we may want to live. The trip has helped, but we are still none the wiser as to where we should rent.

We visited Uster, Greifensee, Thalwil, Kilchberg, Zug & Horfen and all had good and bad points. We are looking for a 2 bed, ground floor flat, close enough to the main amenities and with good transport to Zurich and the airport. Budget 2,000-3,500 CHF/month. Oh, and we have two cats!

Any advice very welcome!
Pete
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.03.2011, 00:13
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: Moving to Zurich, where to rent?

With your budget you will have no trouble finding what you need (other than competing with others to get the apartment you want)

Most places in Zurich are livable, with many transport options. With your budget you should find something easily within a 10 minute train ride or 20 minute tram ride to the city.

You might want to target places close to your work, and try and save on transport costs and time to get to work.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08.03.2011, 08:44
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stella123 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Zurich, where to rent?

Dear Petegil,

I have a friend who lives in Schlieren ( 18 mins to Zurich HB by s-bahn)
two bedrooms, two BR. Next to the Schlieren station( 5 mins walk ) and center of shopping area.
The rental fee with parking is 2000 CHF, without car parking is also fine.
The apartment is located in resident area and there have a park for kids.
Her apartment is available from July 2011.
If you are interested in. please contact me.



stella 123
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.03.2011, 08:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Moving to Zurich, where to rent?

Quote:
View Post
Dear Petegil,

I have a friend who lives in Schlieren ( 18 mins to Zurich HB by s-bahn)
two bedrooms, two BR. Next to the Schlieren station( 5 mins walk ) and center of shopping area.
The rental fee with parking is 2000 CHF, without car parking is also fine.
The apartment is located in resident area and there have a park for kids.
Her apartment is available from July 2011.
If you are interested in. please contact me.

stella 123
Nice introduction....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 08.03.2011, 08:56
Divesnowboy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Konwileggdorf
Posts: 500
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 365 Times in 175 Posts
Divesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputation
Re: Moving to Zurich, where to rent?

Me and the Missus just found a place after a 3 week search in Seebach, close to Oerlikon. We knew it was hard to get a place, though we were lucky. This forum really helped, reading some of the other threads were full of advice and stories of many folk. The websites below were also helpful. Homegate being the best for us. Initially we have rented a holiday home for the first month, as we cannot move in until May. Seebach in 15 minutes on the S-Bahn from the city and around 10 from the Airport, close to a bit of green belt as well as many amenities. Prices from 1600 and upwards.
www.homegate.ch
www.immoscout24.ch
www.immoclick.ch
www.immohit.ch
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08.03.2011, 10:40
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,180 Times in 738 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: Moving to Zurich, where to rent?

Quote:
View Post
Hi,
New to this site, but already loving the volume of helpful advice that is here.

My wife and I have been offered the chance to move to Zurich with work. We have just returned from a couple of days exploring the city and getting an idea of where we may want to live. The trip has helped, but we are still none the wiser as to where we should rent.

We visited Uster, Greifensee, Thalwil, Kilchberg, Zug & Horfen and all had good and bad points. We are looking for a 2 bed, ground floor flat, close enough to the main amenities and with good transport to Zurich and the airport. Budget 2,000-3,500 CHF/month. Oh, and we have two cats!

Any advice very welcome!
Pete

Hi Pete,
I would look at the various towns and then look at the train
connections to wherever you will be working.

www.sbb.ch

Then there is a tax calculator on homegate which will tell you
approximately how much taxes you will have to pay.

www.homegate.ch

Yes, tax rates vary by community in which you live.

Good luck!

P.S. Personally, I preferred Thalwil and Horgen because of the train connections.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08.03.2011, 11:29
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,653
Groaned at 279 Times in 230 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Zurich, where to rent?

Generally the Goldcoast places are more expensive in rent - but lower in tax - if that is applicable to you. If you earn <120k it won't be.

If you both earn you'll be taxed as a married couple - and not too individuals.

Cats - first floor will be fine - with a suitable catflap/catladder arrangement. We have one (cat) and had no problems.

As for where to live - Thalwill/Horgen areas are both "nice" areas - as is most of the goldcoast.

If you want to get an approximate idea of what a community is like - look at the tax rate - the lower tax ones tend to be filled with the richer people. So if you have a 911 and a Range Rover in the UK - you'll be more at home in the areas I suggested rather than Schlieren/Uster/Seebach

(No offence intended)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08.03.2011, 11:42
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Zurich, where to rent?

Quote:
View Post
Hi,
New to this site, but already loving the volume of helpful advice that is here.

My wife and I have been offered the chance to move to Zurich with work. We have just returned from a couple of days exploring the city and getting an idea of where we may want to live. The trip has helped, but we are still none the wiser as to where we should rent.

We visited Uster, Greifensee, Thalwil, Kilchberg, Zug & Horfen and all had good and bad points. We are looking for a 2 bed, ground floor flat, close enough to the main amenities and with good transport to Zurich and the airport. Budget 2,000-3,500 CHF/month. Oh, and we have two cats!

Any advice very welcome!
Pete

Hi Pete, welcome in advance.

The other posters are right as to the varying tax rates in Zurich kanton itself - depending on where you live. This will give you an idea of the tax rates of different gemeindes:

http://www.steueramt.zh.ch/html/steu...euerfuesse.htm

Of course the lower the tax rate for a particular gemeinde, the higher the rent. something's got to give. Other things you should consider are your future plans - do you plan to have kids any time soon? Do you like being in the thick of things? etc etc.

Have a think about your priorities and am sure we'll be able to help further. Your budget is a healthy one for 2 bedrooms (3.5 zimmer) - even for the city and the more desirable areas along the lake.
__________________
Remember when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, BUT it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and b****-slap the mother-f***er upside the head.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
moving to Basel - rent/buy house with yard Hnicgm Housing in general 10 02.02.2012 14:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0