Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 17.03.2011, 08:43
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,402
Groaned at 17 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 4,673 Times in 2,362 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving out of flat early question

Quote:
View Post
Excellent point. I have mentioned already that the garage is included, and in fact we only pay for the electricity that we use (and SwissCom naturally). Water and heating is covered in the rent.

I'm tempted to rephrase the price to 2250 and say garage available for 150, and mention the utility situation.
I would only do this if the landlord is willing to split out the garage from the apartment. This is often possible (so you have in fact two leases) but you will want to check first or you might be creating another problem for yourself.

Yes, it is important (as others have mentioned) to tell what utilities are included in the price so people can compare the total price of the apartment.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 17.03.2011, 09:31
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,402
Groaned at 17 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 4,673 Times in 2,362 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving out of flat early question

Quote:
View Post
I would only do this if the landlord is willing to split out the garage from the apartment. This is often possible (so you have in fact two leases) but you will want to check first or you might be creating another problem for yourself.

Yes, it is important (as others have mentioned) to tell what utilities are included in the price so people can compare the total price of the apartment.
I should add that YOU will still be responsible for finding someone for EACH component - apartment and parking space.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 17.03.2011, 10:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,552
Groaned at 129 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 7,969 Times in 3,712 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving out of flat early question

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely look to improve the photographs and follow up on the other suggestions too.
I can see one reason why you are having trouble. Of the visitors, is everyone out of breath when they get to you after climbing all those stairs?

Your ad does not mention that the building has a lift (elevator) and if it does not that is your biggest problem. Built in 1899 I am guessing not.

Your ad says 3. Etage. (3rd floor). EG is the ground floor, so you are 3 levels above the ground floor with no lift.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 17.03.2011, 10:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,552
Groaned at 129 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 7,969 Times in 3,712 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving out of flat early question

Quote:
View Post
I should add that YOU will still be responsible for finding someone for EACH component - apartment and parking space.
If they are separate contracts, definitely. In some cases the parking is part of the apartment and if someone takes on the apartment but if they don't want the parking they can sublet it.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 17.03.2011, 10:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Jack Carter has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving out of flat early question

Quote:
View Post
I would only do this if the landlord is willing to split out the garage from the apartment. This is often possible (so you have in fact two leases) but you will want to check first or you might be creating another problem for yourself.

Yes, it is important (as others have mentioned) to tell what utilities are included in the price so people can compare the total price of the apartment.
I spoke to the landlady about the original advert and she was happy to let the advert say garage is included. You make a good point though and I will speak with her first if I will change this.

From my point of view, I'd still be happy if someone took the flat and I paid for the garage until end of June.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 17.03.2011, 10:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,552
Groaned at 129 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 7,969 Times in 3,712 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving out of flat early question

Quote:
View Post
I spoke to the landlady about the original advert and she was happy to let the advert say garage is included. You make a good point though and I will speak with her first if I will change this.

From my point of view, I'd still be happy if someone took the flat and I paid for the garage until end of June.
I think parking is the least of your worries. My problem with your apartment is what I posted above about the level.

EDIT: The fact is, there are people who do not mind the exercise that stairs provide. I have tenants like this. The apartment has many features and you just need to find some fit person(s) who don't mind stairs. Good luck.

Last edited by Mrs. Doolittle; 17.03.2011 at 10:22. Reason: Added note about stairs
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 17.03.2011, 10:22
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Jack Carter has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving out of flat early question

Quote:
View Post
I can see one reason why you are having trouble. Of the visitors, is everyone out of breath when they get to you after climbing all those stairs?

Your ad does not mention that the building has a lift (elevator) and if it does not that is your biggest problem. Built in 1899 I am guessing not.

Your ad says 3. Etage. (3rd floor). EG is the ground floor, so you are 3 levels above the ground floor with no lift.
Yes there is no elevator However, there are only two short flights of stairs. We managed perfectly fine carrying our shopping and a one year old child

I better change the advert as by your definition it is 2 Etage! I counted ground floor as 1 Etage
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jack Carter for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 17.03.2011, 10:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,552
Groaned at 129 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 7,969 Times in 3,712 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving out of flat early question

Quote:
View Post
Yes there is no elevator However, there are only two short flights of stairs. We managed perfectly fine carrying our shopping and a one year old child

I better change the advert as by your definition it is 2 Etage! I counted ground floor as 1 Etage
Glad I was able to help. But are you really the second floor or something like hochparterre, which is something almost like groud level. Some use this term when they shouldn't. How many stairs in each flight.

If I were you I would take a photo of the stairs. I know, it sounds silly but if they are wide and can be easily managed, go for it!

Edit: you should scan and post the floor plan in your ad.

Last edited by Mrs. Doolittle; 17.03.2011 at 10:27. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 17.03.2011, 10:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
curious_Swiss has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving out of flat early question

just some comments on the previous advices:
- No, the lack of finding a new tenant does not imply legal rights regarding over-pricing. It can be a sign for this, but that's all.
- I would support the opinion that you should hunt for a following tenant within the international community. Why not place an ad physically somewhere the big Credit Suisse building (many internationals are working there), in the supermarket nearby, near the railway station (grasping the commuters!)?
- talk to a relocation agency: they always look for decent flats, with more services available than usual (washing machine etc), especially because Zurich town is totally rent out. And compared to a Zurich flat, your flat's price is competitive (might not be for Horgen, though)
Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 21.03.2011, 00:41
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Herrliberg
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
sigri has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving out of flat early question

I would agree with Verbier who suggested to target the international market. I once tried to get rid of an overpriced apartment and sent the apartment info to a few relocation companies with success. They get a commission if they find an apartment for their clients. So they are interested to find a tenant for your apartment. Here are the companies I contacted, but there are many more:
  • SGIER UND PARTNER GMBH
  • Interlife
  • Interdean
  • Ellen Baur and Partner Relocations
  • The Relocation Company
  • Auris Relocation
Good luck!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sigri for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 21.03.2011, 03:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,552
Groaned at 129 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 7,969 Times in 3,712 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving out of flat early question

Quote:
View Post
I once tried to get rid of an overpriced apartment and sent the apartment info to a few relocation companies with success. They get a commission if they find an apartment for their clients. So they are interested to find a tenant for your apartment.
Relocation companies conduct a house search on behalf of a client and the client pays their fees. The "commission" you are referring to is what listing agents receive if they have an agreement with the property owner or manager to find a tenant. Informing a relocation agency of an available property can be useful as we may have someone who is looking and we are happy to have a heads up. But if it is already on the internet, then we know about it.

"Overpriced" apartments can be attractive to anyone who has the income to afford the rent. Many couples with dual incomes and no kids will happily pay more for a place they love and these people are not necessarily using a relocation firm to find an apartment.

In every area there is a rental range. The key is if the apartment has a lot of extra features someone is happy to pay more if these have a perceived value. I know that many apartment dwellers will pay more if it means having their own washer/dryer.
__________________

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 24.03.2011, 16:03
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Jack Carter has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving out of flat early question

Had some good news: we had a couple who came and said they wanted to take the place with a friend.

Bad news is the landlady doesn't like them for various reasons:

- she thinks the flat is too small for them! (We disagree and it's the renters choice surely)
- she is worried they cannot pay because they work in restaurants
- she wants long term tenants only (2 years plus)

From my point of view, they are a legitimate replacement, being able to pay and willing to take the contract on the terms I have taken already.

Presumably from a legal standpoint we just have to provide two more willing people to take the flat?

The search continues!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 24.03.2011, 23:26
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Moving out of flat early question

I believe today the law is you only have to supply one solvent new tenant.

Be aware that you are still responsible for the rent until the end of your notice period, 30th June 2011. So if the restaurant people leave early without paying the land-lady their rent money, you will have to pay their rent for them!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 25.03.2011, 00:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 3,079
Groaned at 96 Times in 67 Posts
Thanked 4,056 Times in 1,612 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving out of flat early question

Quote:
View Post
I believe today the law is you only have to supply one solvent new tenant.

Be aware that you are still responsible for the rent until the end of your notice period, 30th June 2011. So if the restaurant people leave early without paying the land-lady their rent money, you will have to pay their rent for them!
Ittigen you are correct that you only need supply one solvent tenant. However the tenant also has to be acceptable. Granted, the landlord has only a limited number of reasons that he/she can reject prospective tenants but it is possible.

Jack Carter has given two possible reasons: the landlord deems that the apartment is too small. How big is the apartment? How many people want to live there? If the prospective tenants are a family of 4 and they want to live in a 3.5 room apartment. The landlord would probably be justified in saying no. Also, are the prospective tenants indeed solvent? What are their salaries and what is the rent? Is the ratio unacceptable? Another reason that a landlord could say no.

So, one good tenant is enough, but better to put two or three names forward to be sure.

Finally, if the new tenants sign a contract with the landlord then Jack Carter is definitively off the hook. Once a new contract has been signed, the outgoing tenant has no further obligations.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Snoopy for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Early cancellation of T-mobile contract as moving abroad ebonie TV/internet/telephone 9 11.02.2011 21:15
Question about staying through lease after giving early move out notice jmignone Housing in general 4 15.10.2008 17:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0