Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.07.2011, 10:23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ridge has no particular reputation at present
Are there any American families around Geneva???

We are family of four (kids 7 and 5) looking to relocate to Geneva later in the year. We have been long time expats from Florida, having lived in London, Dubai and Singapore. We love the international aspect of moving however the more we do it, we realize it is easier when we can find an American community to help settle us in. I have seen people get ripped on these expat sites for saying that yet the reality of being transferred every 2/3 years is that similarities create friendships quicker and speed is important. Of course this does not mean that we are not looking for friends from other countries as our wedding was like a UN conference...

With that said, I am wondering where do the English-speaking expats live in and around Geneva? I hear a lot about Nyon on here but not too many other places. It is expected that the kids will go to an international school (which one?), I need to join a golf club (which one?) and we would prefer a house over a flat as we have a lot of furniture. The idea of mountain/lake views while grilling steaks sounds idyllic...

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01.07.2011, 10:24
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,131
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

Welcome to the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01.07.2011, 10:37
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

Americans.... ?.... we're everywhere
As far as where to live that may depend on where you will work, If you read some of the other "where to live" posts here you will find a major part of the commute can be simply getting across town.

golf clubs.. similar situation.. where will you live... there are several nice clubs in the pay de Gex , ( just drop "golf" into a google map you'll find them.

or more central GE
http://www.countryclubgeneva.ch/

or "THAT" side of the river...
http://www.golf-club-esery.com/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01.07.2011, 16:27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ridge has no particular reputation at present
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

work would be down on the river front. any idea how easy it is to get membership to the clubs?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.07.2011, 17:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,248
Groaned at 37 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 26,732 Times in 8,253 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

Hi Ridge - I couldn't tell by your post whether you are the husband or wife , but if of the female persuation, there's the American International Women's Club in Geneva:

http://www.aiwcgeneva.org/

I just found this by googling, don't know the club myself. I joined the American Women's Club in Zürich when I first arrived, and it was helpful in finding my feet. Ultimately I decided I wasn't the 'clubwoman' type, but I made some lasting friends there. These kinds of clubs are often offer a soft landing, an easy transition, to new expats.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01.07.2011, 17:21
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

Quote:
View Post
work would be down on the river front. any idea how easy it is to get membership to the clubs?
I don't play myself so not truly sure... country club GE I understand you would have to sacrifice one of your children on the 18th green.

the others I believe are fairly open
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.07.2011, 17:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 68
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Mobeen has no particular reputation at present
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

Hello Ridge,
You will find American families all around Geneva.
Where to live will depend a lot on your work location and which international school your children attend. It is not easy getting admission to international schools and quite often there is a long waiting list. Since you already know your work location the next step is to enroll your children into a school as soon as possible so you can have a better idea of which locale will best suit your needs. You don't want your kids to travel an hour to get to school. Once your kids are in school I am sure you will find many expat families with similar experiences who will be more than willing to help you settle in.
I would also recommend joining AIWC to help ease the transition. Here is a link to their website http://www.aiwcgeneva.org/language.html
If you are looking for a villa then Nyon will be ideal. Nyon is a short train ride to center of Geneva. Take it from a fellow American who recently relocated from Dubai ... downsize your belongings. Apartments and villas in Geneva are much smaller than what you are acustomed to in Dubai. I personally (very reluctantly) eliminated a lot of my oversized furniture before relocating to Geneva in 2010.
Good luck with your move. Geneva is a lovely place I am sure your family will love it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.07.2011, 16:29
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ridge has no particular reputation at present
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

From my research on this site, there is a lot of info about the Geneva/Nyon/Lausanne corridor but nothing on living on the left bank, which is the side of the river that my office would be located. Any reason for this???
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.07.2011, 17:05
monkeynut's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,128
Groaned at 38 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 1,392 Times in 521 Posts
monkeynut has a reputation beyond reputemonkeynut has a reputation beyond reputemonkeynut has a reputation beyond reputemonkeynut has a reputation beyond reputemonkeynut has a reputation beyond reputemonkeynut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

Quote:
View Post
Americans.... ?.... we're everywhere
As far as where to live that may depend on where you will work, If you read some of the other "where to live" posts here you will find a major part of the commute can be simply getting across town.

golf clubs.. similar situation.. where will you live... there are several nice clubs in the pay de Gex , ( just drop "golf" into a google map you'll find them.

or more central GE
http://www.countryclubgeneva.ch/

or "THAT" side of the river...
http://www.golf-club-esery.com/
also "that" side of the river (and better than both of the above..)

www.golfbossey.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07.07.2011, 17:10
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

Quote:
View Post
From my research on this site, there is a lot of info about the Geneva/Nyon/Lausanne corridor but nothing on living on the left bank, which is the side of the river that my office would be located. Any reason for this???
the left bank ?????????????????
that is where we in the Geneva/Nyon/Lausanne corridor keep our support staff.

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07.07.2011, 17:12
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

Quote:
View Post
the left bank ?????????????????
that is where we in the Geneva/Nyon/Lausanne corridor keep our support staff.

they film coronation street there don`t they?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08.07.2011, 03:25
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

Quote:
View Post
From my research on this site, there is a lot of info about the Geneva/Nyon/Lausanne corridor but nothing on living on the left bank, which is the side of the river that my office would be located. Any reason for this???
The left back of Geneva is the better side. The right side is the wrong side. That's why all the foreigner live on the right side.
But that's only related to Geneva itself. Once you get to France.... THAT bank of the lake no man's land.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 08.07.2011, 09:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

Hello and welcome to Geneva,


Lots of American families in Geneva indeed...you can tell, they're the loudest! (only joking!)...well, half joking!

It depends on what your budget is: lots of families live in (quite spacious) apartments in Champel district, very green. Lots of (eye wateringly expensive) houses along the left bank from Cologny (the Beverley Hills of Geneva: I want to know you if you can afford to move there!), to Colonge-Bellerive, Vesenaz, a bit further up to Vandoeuvres (terribly chic!), all within 15 minutes commuting distance to centre of Geneva.

Schoolwise, if you are on the left-bank, the International School of Geneva campus is La Grande Boissiere (route de Chene 62), a bilingual campus with an anglophone section, a francophone section and a fully bilingual section. It has a Middle School for ages 10-13 aswell. Be aware, it is well oversubscribed and there is a long waiting list, but it depends on the age of your children. The "Nation" campus on the other side is fully anglophone but I know they are gradually introducing French to the teaching of some subjects. It all helps towards integration in Switzerland.

Wherever yo settle in Geneva, English-speaking families will never be far away from you. In our little village alone, 6 miles away from Geneva, out of the 1300 inhabitants, 20% are English-speaking, all made to feel very welcome and all superbly integrated!

Good luck with your move, you will love Geneva, it is a fantastic place to raise children!

Quote:
View Post
We are family of four (kids 7 and 5) looking to relocate to Geneva later in the year. We have been long time expats from Florida, having lived in London, Dubai and Singapore. We love the international aspect of moving however the more we do it, we realize it is easier when we can find an American community to help settle us in. I have seen people get ripped on these expat sites for saying that yet the reality of being transferred every 2/3 years is that similarities create friendships quicker and speed is important. Of course this does not mean that we are not looking for friends from other countries as our wedding was like a UN conference...

With that said, I am wondering where do the English-speaking expats live in and around Geneva? I hear a lot about Nyon on here but not too many other places. It is expected that the kids will go to an international school (which one?), I need to join a golf club (which one?) and we would prefer a house over a flat as we have a lot of furniture. The idea of mountain/lake views while grilling steaks sounds idyllic...

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08.07.2011, 10:17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ridge has no particular reputation at present
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

Many thanks. Not sure on budget but expecting it to be about 6500 (+/- 1000)...hopefully this gets us our little Swiss dream! What about public schooling in these areas?


Quote:
View Post
Hello and welcome to Geneva,


Lots of American families in Geneva indeed...you can tell, they're the loudest! (only joking!)...well, half joking!

It depends on what your budget is: lots of families live in (quite spacious) apartments in Champel district, very green. Lots of (eye wateringly expensive) houses along the left bank from Cologny (the Beverley Hills of Geneva: I want to know you if you can afford to move there!), to Colonge-Bellerive, Vesenaz, a bit further up to Vandoeuvres (terribly chic!), all within 15 minutes commuting distance to centre of Geneva.

Schoolwise, if you are on the left-bank, the International School of Geneva campus is La Grande Boissiere (route de Chene 62), a bilingual campus with an anglophone section, a francophone section and a fully bilingual section. It has a Middle School for ages 10-13 aswell. Be aware, it is well oversubscribed and there is a long waiting list, but it depends on the age of your children. The "Nation" campus on the other side is fully anglophone but I know they are gradually introducing French to the teaching of some subjects. It all helps towards integration in Switzerland.

Wherever yo settle in Geneva, English-speaking families will never be far away from you. In our little village alone, 6 miles away from Geneva, out of the 1300 inhabitants, 20% are English-speaking, all made to feel very welcome and all superbly integrated!

Good luck with your move, you will love Geneva, it is a fantastic place to raise children!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08.07.2011, 13:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

On this budget, you can afford to be choosy! You'll find loads!

They have been given in other links, but try the following sites for accommodation:

www.worldradio.ch (English)

www.immoscout24.ch (English)

www.ghi.ch (go to immobilier = housing then locations = renting)

There are more websites but I forgot what they are (having spent hundreds of hours on them last year!)

Local state schools are usually very strong academically, especially for the age range of your children, and tend to be used to having English speaking children. Of course you cannot generalise, but the Swiss way of teaching can be a little "traditionalist", although creativity is on the agenda! If your children have special needs in terms of learning, then the quality of support will vary greatly from one school to another. You need to investigate.

Hope this helps a little. Must dash, American friends arriving from Pennsylvania any minute now!


www.
Quote:
View Post
Many thanks. Not sure on budget but expecting it to be about 6500 (+/- 1000)...hopefully this gets us our little Swiss dream! What about public schooling in these areas?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09.07.2011, 07:17
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are there any American families around Geneva???

Quote:
View Post
We are family of four (kids 7 and 5) looking to relocate to Geneva later in the year. We have been long time expats from Florida, having lived in London, Dubai and Singapore. We love the international aspect of moving however the more we do it, we realize it is easier when we can find an American community to help settle us in. I have seen people get ripped on these expat sites for saying that yet the reality of being transferred every 2/3 years is that similarities create friendships quicker and speed is important. Of course this does not mean that we are not looking for friends from other countries as our wedding was like a UN conference...

With that said, I am wondering where do the English-speaking expats live in and around Geneva? I hear a lot about Nyon on here but not too many other places. It is expected that the kids will go to an international school (which one?), I need to join a golf club (which one?) and we would prefer a house over a flat as we have a lot of furniture. The idea of mountain/lake views while grilling steaks sounds idyllic...

Thanks in advance...
Many people live in Nyon because they don't have 6-7K to live in Geneva. With that kind of budget you won't shouldn't need to live so far from Geneva.

If I were in Switzerland I'd gladly take you house hunting. I'm a fan of real estate & would love to see places in that budget. We should be back in Jan if you feel like waiting for me to get there!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
american, golf




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Geneva - American places to eat? lz06 Entertainment & dining 100 29.08.2011 17:47
American near Geneva felixlechat Introductions 1 19.02.2011 18:27
American Consulate in Geneva drleblanc Permits/visas/government 3 14.11.2010 21:17
American Football in Geneva markie_mark Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 4 23.07.2009 00:07
American moving to Geneva in August californian Introductions 1 21.05.2008 10:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0