Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12.07.2011, 23:52
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Silbornp has no particular reputation at present
EU + Non EU Spouse buying house and rent out half.

I have a question that I haven't found in the forum. We are a married couple; I am an EU citizen with a CDL "D", and my wife is a non-EU citizen with a Ci-permit.

We are considering buying a house that is quite big. in fact, it is considered a 'single property', but it has two separate apartments. We wanted to rent out one of the apartments, as that would help pay for the mortgage.

We are allowed to buy the property - that's not a problem. However, today we found out that Non-EU citizen who don't have a Ci permit may not rent out their house, not even a part of it as long as they live there (if they move once they've lived their for a while they are allowed to rent it out...). This applies to a non-EU Citizen, but what happens when that non-EU citizen is married to an EU citizen and both own the house? Can the EU-citizen rent out 'his/her' part of the house, i.e. half?

Also, in another forum I saw that Ci-permit holders would have the same rights as C-permit holders, which in turn would make it permissible to rent out a part of the house. Is this right?

I'm considering contacting a lawyer, but wanted to hear if anyone on the forum has any tips or has been in a similar situation.

Many thanks in advance for any advice
Reply With Quote

ci permit, housing, permits, renting out

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help buying a house Sry Housing in general 23 23.09.2011 09:56
House buying Pedigreeman Housing in general 28 07.12.2010 15:28
Applying to rent while spouse still outside Switzerland LiquidPaper Housing in general 10 07.01.2010 19:47

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:57.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0