Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 15.08.2011, 20:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
admorgan has earned some respectadmorgan has earned some respect
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Some more exciting news. I just got home to another letter saying I should tidy up for another potential tenant who's coming tomorrow. Shall I cr*p in the middle of the living room floor ?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank admorgan for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 15.08.2011, 20:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
Some more exciting news. I just got home to another letter saying I should tidy up for another potential tenant who's coming tomorrow. Shall I cr*p in the middle of the living room floor ?
You should stay home and sprawl yourself naked on the sofa just before they arrive...
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 15.08.2011, 20:57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: La Cote
Posts: 382
Groaned at 18 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 307 Times in 147 Posts
Nyonais has made some interesting contributions
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

It would be very, very disappointing if you let your landlady have your deposit. As other's have said, she is probably counting on it.

We also had a landlady from hell. I have posted my experience here some time ago. Most important thing is to contact Mieterverband, as recommended here by several others, urgently. Get them to be present at the time of the handover and don't sign the final sheet till they tell you to.

Our experience with our landlady in Zurich and subsequently, with the Regie in Nyon was that the moment the found out that we were being advised by the professionals, they changed their tune completely.

Don't give in.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nyonais for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 15.08.2011, 21:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,185
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 72 Posts
danny has earned some respectdanny has earned some respect
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
Some more exciting news. I just got home to another letter saying I should tidy up for another potential tenant who's coming tomorrow. Shall I cr*p in the middle of the living room floor ?
Was the deposit in a bank account or did she provide you with a receipt for it ?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 15.08.2011, 21:54
quark's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Aargh-Ow!
Posts: 1,321
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,838 Times in 756 Posts
quark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond reputequark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
Some more exciting news. I just got home to another letter saying I should tidy up for another potential tenant who's coming tomorrow. Shall I cr*p in the middle of the living room floor ?
Just make sure you're there to greet them in an apron and rubber gloves.

Perhaps ask them to wear plastic bags over their shoes.

Spray every object they touch with antiseptic spray immediately afterwards, whilst muttering something about dirty germs.

Periodically vacuum the ground they've just walked on, for effect.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank quark for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 15.08.2011, 21:59
NSchulzi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,422
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,215 Posts
NSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
Just make sure you're there to greet them in an apron and rubber gloves.

Perhaps ask them to wear plastic bags over their shoes.

Spray every object they touch with antiseptic spray immediately afterwards, whilst muttering something about dirty germs.

Periodically vacuum the ground they've just walked on, for effect.
he he - that's hilarious! Also, prepare a quick sandwich on the loo seat, just for effect!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NSchulzi for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 15.08.2011, 22:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich Oberland
Posts: 523
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 470 Times in 239 Posts
woolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputation
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
Some more exciting news. I just got home to another letter saying I should tidy up for another potential tenant who's coming tomorrow. Shall I cr*p in the middle of the living room floor ?
You should leave a notice in large clear writing on the coffee table telling the new tenant that the landlady does not respect your privacy and enters the apartment without your permission, and they should join the Mieterverband before renting the place if they decide to take it. Leave a pen and ask them to sign the note to confirm that they have seen it so you know that the landlady has not interfered with your possessions (i.e. the notepad and pen).
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank woolly for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 15.08.2011, 22:30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
admorgan has earned some respectadmorgan has earned some respect
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
Was the deposit in a bank account or did she provide you with a receipt for it ?
I have a receipt.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 15.08.2011, 22:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
admorgan has earned some respectadmorgan has earned some respect
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
Just make sure you're there to greet them in an apron and rubber gloves.

Perhaps ask them to wear plastic bags over their shoes.

Spray every object they touch with antiseptic spray immediately afterwards, whilst muttering something about dirty germs.

Periodically vacuum the ground they've just walked on, for effect.
That's genius!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank admorgan for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 15.08.2011, 22:34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
admorgan has earned some respectadmorgan has earned some respect
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
It would be very, very disappointing if you let your landlady have your deposit. As other's have said, she is probably counting on it.

We also had a landlady from hell. I have posted my experience here some time ago. Most important thing is to contact Mieterverband, as recommended here by several others, urgently. Get them to be present at the time of the handover and don't sign the final sheet till they tell you to.

Our experience with our landlady in Zurich and subsequently, with the Regie in Nyon was that the moment the found out that we were being advised by the professionals, they changed their tune completely.

Don't give in.
Cheers. I think I want all of you to come over when I hand over the keys!
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 15.08.2011, 22:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lenk im Simmental
Posts: 1,123
Groaned at 95 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 750 Times in 404 Posts
Keith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of many
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
I have a receipt.
Don't do that again. Much easier to get hold of it at the end if it's in a bank account!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 15.08.2011, 22:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
admorgan has earned some respectadmorgan has earned some respect
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
Don't do that again. Much easier to get hold of it at the end if it's in a bank account!
I knew it, but I needed a place at short notice and I guess I hoped (assumed) she would be a reasonable person.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 15.08.2011, 22:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lenk im Simmental
Posts: 1,123
Groaned at 95 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 750 Times in 404 Posts
Keith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of manyKeith66 has earned the respect of many
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
I knew it, but I needed a place at short notice and I guess I hoped (assumed) she would be a reasonable person.
Well if she won't give it you back just tell her you will have some friends over on the night before you leave
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 15.08.2011, 23:03
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
Well if she won't give it you back just tell her you will have some friends over on the night before you leave
Just "Betreib" her if she won't give you all the money. It is not legal any longer for her to hold the deposit.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 16.08.2011, 10:50
summerrain's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,350
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 325 Posts
summerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond reputesummerrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
You should leave a notice in large clear writing on the coffee table telling the new tenant that the landlady does not respect your privacy and enters the apartment without your permission, and they should join the Mieterverband before renting the place if they decide to take it. Leave a pen and ask them to sign the note to confirm that they have seen it so you know that the landlady has not interfered with your possessions (i.e. the notepad and pen).
Ooooooh, this is ABSOLUTELY BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

Or a note along similar lines: "PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH MY STUFF LIKE YOU DID THE LAST TIME!"
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank summerrain for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 16.08.2011, 11:32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
admorgan has earned some respectadmorgan has earned some respect
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
You should leave a notice in large clear writing on the coffee table telling the new tenant that the landlady does not respect your privacy and enters the apartment without your permission, and they should join the Mieterverband before renting the place if they decide to take it. Leave a pen and ask them to sign the note to confirm that they have seen it so you know that the landlady has not interfered with your possessions (i.e. the notepad and pen).

Quote:
View Post
Ooooooh, this is ABSOLUTELY BLOODY BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

Or a note along similar lines: "PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH MY STUFF LIKE YOU DID THE LAST TIME!"
It is a good idea, however I want to keep relations reasonably civil for the next 2 weeks.

The only thing I did was clean the cooking tray that she said was "uncleanable" and I left it in full view.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank admorgan for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 16.08.2011, 11:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 51
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Flamelily has made some interesting contributions
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

admorgan - sorry that you are having such a negative experience with your landlady.

What is obvious to me is this person is unscrupulous and obviously trying to profit from you. She is scraping up as much money as she can for herself. Do not let her succeed! Stay courteous but absolutely firm in your resolve not to accept her disrespectful behaviour.

There has been lots of good advice in this thread.

If you are not in control of the end of tenancy cleaning, then demand proof (detailed receipt) of the work carried out. Not one centime more should be taken out of your deposit.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 16.08.2011, 23:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
admorgan has earned some respectadmorgan has earned some respect
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Stayed out late tonight. Nothing had been moved in the apartment suggesting no visitor had been here. Is she playing mind games with me or am I completely paranoid?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 16.08.2011, 23:57
NSchulzi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,422
Groaned at 52 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,215 Posts
NSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
Stayed out late tonight. Nothing had been moved in the apartment suggesting no visitor had been here. Is she playing mind games with me or am I completely paranoid?
I don't think you are being paranoid. The awful thing is that you really should not even have to consider whether or not she (or anybody else) has been in your apartment whilst you are out.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NSchulzi for this useful post:
  #60  
Old 16.08.2011, 23:59
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 40
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
admorgan has earned some respectadmorgan has earned some respect
Re: Problems with Landlady over Apartment Cleanliness

Quote:
View Post
I don't think you are being paranoid. The awful thing is that you really should not even have to consider whether or not she (or anybody else) has been in your apartment whilst you are out.
You're right. Oh well, just two more weeks.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank admorgan for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inviting girlfriend over to Switzerland - health problems picketf Insurance 52 11.08.2010 15:26
What to do???? [problems with apartment, already signed off on it] BaselIndian Complaints corner 37 21.04.2010 16:54
Problems with apartment - complaint and payment of rent to third party zourab Housing in general 6 18.09.2008 19:52
Problems from my over-mieter.. Morph Complaints corner 8 16.10.2007 15:01


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0