English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Housing in general (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/)
-   -   Found nachmieter...landlord thinks he can put up the rent (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/134097-found-nachmieter-landlord-thinks-he-can-put-up-rent.html)

joannehorgen 19.12.2011 11:51

Found nachmieter...landlord thinks he can put up the rent
 
Please could someone put my mind at rest.
I found a nachmieter (excellent references, can move in as soon as we move out in Jan etc). The landlord is looking at the application right now but has told me he's going to put up the rent for the new tenant. I don't think he can do this as they are effectively taking over our existing contract (please can someone confirm). If the new tenant pulls out because they don't want to pay the increased rent (I've no idea what he intends to propose) am I right in saying I've fulfilled my obligation by introducing a new tenant who is prepared to pay the existing rent level?
I've searched the forum and can't find the exact scenario already discussed.
Thank you

Longbyt 19.12.2011 12:00

Re: Found nachmieter...landlord thinks he can put up the rent
 
Your problem is not unique, so check out the information in the Sticky at the top of this sub-forum. There are two links to official sources there which might help and give you tips on where to look further.

Information given by EFers, however well meant and however accurate will, regretably, not impress your landlord.

MathNut 19.12.2011 12:07

Re: Found nachmieter...landlord thinks he can put up the rent
 
Yes, you are right. Your responsibility ends when you produce someone* who would be able and willing to take over your existing contract - no changes to rent, notice periods, rules on laundry or pets - just your contract as it is now.

Whatever happens after that is not your problem. The landlord might increase the rent, change the laundry schedule, or he might refuse that tenant point-blank for no reason at all. That's up to him, and it doesn't affect your ability to leave.


*One suitable replacement is legally all that's required, but renters' associations strongly recommend that you bring at least three. That way even if the landlord finds some fault with one of them (maybe he has a bad credit rating, overstated his salary on the application or something - you couldn't have known!) you're still in the clear with the other two.

Papa Goose 19.12.2011 12:08

Re: Found nachmieter...landlord thinks he can put up the rent
 
They may be taking over your apartment but the won't be taking over your contract AFAIK, just willing to take the apartment on the same basis as you. They will sign there own contact with the landlord with potentially new terms if needed, but that is down to them. Depending upon when the rent was last reviewed and if any work was done etc, the landlord would be within his rights to increase the rent I think, within reason of course. Unless he specifically told you (best in writing) that there would be no change to the rent for the next tenant, the rent you pay is a guide only. Did you confirm the new rental arrangement with the landlord before advertising the apartment? That not withstanding you have fulfilled your minimum obligation by providing a suitable tenant, the more the better though.

FrankS 19.12.2011 12:29

Re: Found nachmieter...landlord thinks he can put up the rent
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by joannehorgen (Post 1437749)
I don't think he can do this as they are effectively taking over our existing contract

semi-correct. He can do this, but the Nachmieter does not have to accept the higher rent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joannehorgen (Post 1437749)
I right in saying I've fulfilled my obligation by introducing a new tenant who is prepared to pay the existing rent level?

correct.

http://www.mieterverband.ch/zh_mb_vo..._auszug.0.html

joannehorgen 19.12.2011 14:52

Re: Found nachmieter...landlord thinks he can put up the rent
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Goose (Post 1437777)
They may be taking over your apartment but the won't be taking over your contract AFAIK, just willing to take the apartment on the same basis as you. They will sign there own contact with the landlord with potentially new terms if needed, but that is down to them. Depending upon when the rent was last reviewed and if any work was done etc, the landlord would be within his rights to increase the rent I think, within reason of course. Unless he specifically told you (best in writing) that there would be no change to the rent for the next tenant, the rent you pay is a guide only. Did you confirm the new rental arrangement with the landlord before advertising the apartment? That not withstanding you have fulfilled your minimum obligation by providing a suitable tenant, the more the better though.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I asked them whether there was anything they wanted to change before I started advertising.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:53.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0