Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27.12.2011, 17:12
shabar's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rotkreuz
Posts: 124
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 66 Times in 40 Posts
shabar has earned some respectshabar has earned some respect
OMG - my first German contract

I am terrified, my first contract in German has just arrived.
We are moving in 2.5 weeks to Switzerland and I just received the contract for our temporary apartment

der preis für die oben genannte 4.5 zimmer boardinghouse, 3 . stock betragt pro monat 5000 exkl. 3.8% MWST und ist zahlbar im voraus am 1 tag des monats

Does it mean I need to pay extra 3.8% VAT?

Is it usual that price mentioned in the advertising (in homegate for example) does not include VAT?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27.12.2011, 17:32
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,132
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OMG - my first German contract

Perhaps for the rental of garage space and for the Nebenkosten.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27.12.2011, 17:35
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,746
Groaned at 75 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OMG - my first German contract

Since its a temp accom they probably assume it is often paid by a company that can deduct the VAT. Thus the price excl VAT.

And the 3.8% indicates that the accom is classified as "hotel".
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tilia for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 27.12.2011, 18:17
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,378
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OMG - my first German contract

Quote:
View Post
I am terrified, my first contract in German has just arrived.
We are moving in 2.5 weeks to Switzerland and I just received the contract for our temporary apartment

der preis für die oben genannte 4.5 zimmer boardinghouse, 3 . stock betragt pro monat 5000 exkl. 3.8% MWST und ist zahlbar im voraus am 1 tag des monats

Does it mean I need to pay extra 3.8% VAT?

Is it usual that price mentioned in the advertising (in homegate for example) does not include VAT?

If you can afford 5000 a month in rent which is as much as many people here earn as net income a month, I guess you can pay the extra 190 CHF without going hungry.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 27.12.2011, 18:19
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,132
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OMG - my first German contract

Or join the MV for expert assistance. Membership is less than CHF80 a year and English is widely spoken ( an association for Renters ).

http://www.mieterverband.ch/zh_top.0.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jrspet for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 27.12.2011, 18:35
shabar's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rotkreuz
Posts: 124
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 66 Times in 40 Posts
shabar has earned some respectshabar has earned some respect
Re: OMG - my first German contract

Quote:
View Post
If you can afford 5000 a month in rent which is as much as many people here earn as net income a month, I guess you can pay the extra 190 CHF without going hungry.
Well, it is a very high rent for us, but for many reasons, we don't have a choice and we will use it as temporary living solution for couple of months. I was concerned more of the fact that I might be surprised with our permanent contract, and see that VAT again over there.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27.12.2011, 18:45
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,378
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OMG - my first German contract

Quote:
View Post
Well, it is a very high rent for us, but for many reasons, we don't have a choice and we will use it as temporary living solution for couple of months. I was concerned more of the fact that I might be surprised with our permanent contract, and see that VAT again over there.
It might be added to a garage or parking space but not normal rent. Be aware that expenses can be far higher than quoted & they have 5 years to send the final bill!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 27.12.2011, 18:46
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,321
Groaned at 168 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 6,707 Times in 2,237 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OMG - my first German contract

Quote:
View Post
Well, it is a very high rent for us, but for many reasons, we don't have a choice and we will use it as temporary living solution for couple of months. I was concerned more of the fact that I might be surprised with our permanent contract, and see that VAT again over there.
No, you won't. That's only going to happen with accommodations designed for short-term coverage (i.e. hotels as mentioned above). Normally (i.e. longer term accommodation) you only have to worry about whether the Nebenkosten (utilities and similar charges) are included, and whether the amount is actually sufficient to the costs (if not, and it's not indicated as paschal in the contract, then you'll get a bill up to a year later to cover the difference).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 27.12.2011, 21:00
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,184
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 72 Posts
danny has earned some respectdanny has earned some respect
Re: OMG - my first German contract

Quote:
View Post
Or join the MV for expert assistance. Membership is less than CHF80 a year and English is widely spoken ( an association for Renters ).

http://www.mieterverband.ch/zh_top.0.html
Its actually CHF 92 now but indeed a good idea to join.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27.12.2011, 21:02
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,132
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OMG - my first German contract

Quote:
View Post
Its actually CHF 92 now but indeed a good idea to join.
When I joined 3 years ago, it was CHF65 .. sigh ..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 27.12.2011, 21:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,184
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 72 Posts
danny has earned some respectdanny has earned some respect
Re: OMG - my first German contract

Quote:
View Post
If you can afford 5000 a month in rent which is as much as many people here earn as net income a month, I guess you can pay the extra 190 CHF without going hungry.
This kind of rent is usually company paid anyway in most cases, as it probably is for the poster. They will probably pay for the VAT too I guess if asked.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 27.12.2011, 21:15
Kristanez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Home and native land
Posts: 601
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 589 Times in 252 Posts
Kristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond reputeKristanez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OMG - my first German contract

Quote:
View Post
Normally (i.e. longer term accommodation) you only have to worry about whether the Nebenkosten (utilities and similar charges) are included, and whether the amount is actually sufficient to the costs (if not, and it's not indicated as paschal in the contract, then you'll get a bill up to a year later to cover the difference).
Yes. Worry about this. We just got a bill for over 800 francs for 5.5 months on top of the 190CHF we pay monthly. I learned that next time we sign a contract, I should ask to see the last year's detailed breakdown per apartment to get an idea of whether their fees are anywhere near sufficient or not and not accept, "Oh sometimes it's a little more, sometimes a little less." Because sometimes it's a LOT more.

Live and learn I guess.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Kristanez for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 27.12.2011, 21:55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 482
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 267 Times in 168 Posts
gourmet is considered knowledgeablegourmet is considered knowledgeablegourmet is considered knowledgeable
Re: OMG - my first German contract

Quote:
View Post
Or join the MV for expert assistance. Membership is less than CHF80 a year and English is widely spoken ( an association for Renters ).

http://www.mieterverband.ch/zh_top.0.html
Quote:
View Post
Its actually CHF 92 now but indeed a good idea to join.
you probably found that MV cannot help you in this case if you are in temporarily accommodation as that is "serviced apartment" and is classified as hotel/B&B. However it is a good idea to join especially if you will be renting later on. VAT in CH is very very low compare to other parts of Europe, imagine you have to pay 22%!!

I know that is expensive but think about all bills included and you just need your suitcase to move in. That is convenient. When I was looking for my own place, I was in one of those as well and someone at work told me, look very carefully and not jump on the first one that is available because it will cost you a lot if you need to move and it is guaranteed that amount of money will be more than what you paying temporarily.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gourmet for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My music album, first CD of my band, FOR SALE nikkinikki Commercial 14 03.04.2013 21:46
My probatory period ends today. Should I renegotiate my contract or not? Jmavatar Employment 35 24.04.2008 08:39
Breaking rental contract within first 1 -year landmark77 Housing in general 5 03.11.2007 12:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0