Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06.02.2012, 15:55
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Crassier
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grasshill has no particular reputation at present
ECA and wind damage


I am renting an apartment in the Canton of Vaud. Over the weekend, our mailbox, which is on the exterior of the building had its door ripped off due to wind - I'm sure it was wind, but it's the most logical.
My landlord suggested contacting ECA.
Does any one know if I'm wasting my time by contacting them?

Peter G.
Reply With Quote
Old 07.02.2012, 09:33
Forum Legend
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: la cote
Posts: 3,188
Groaned at 18 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,459 Posts
runningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ECA and wind damage

ECA covers natural disasters, including violent storms, not sure if the wind we've had recently would be considered a violent storm, or just the normal bize though. Also, assuming you have already taken out such insurance.

As a renter, isn't your landlord responsible for repairs?

We replaced a mailbox recently, and it wasn't too expensive, perhaps weigh the costs of the insurance claim against price of a new mailbox before going that route if you are required to replace. Hornbach as mailboxes at reasonable prices.
Reply With Quote
Old 07.02.2012, 11:27
Forum Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mies
Posts: 821
Groaned at 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 582 Times in 340 Posts
catandmouse has earned some respectcatandmouse has earned some respect
Re: ECA and wind damage

I'm somewhat surprised that you as a renter have building insurance with ECA. Normally it should be the owner who is contracted and obviously you end up having it included in the rent.
So first check to see whether you really do have a contract. If not the ball is back in your owner's court. If you do have a contract, give the office listed on the contract a call. They're usually quite friendly and they don't use call-centres on the other side of the globe.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ECA - Insurance of Natural Elements septiale Insurance 27 06.07.2012 17:02
Condensation and wood damage Kash_Z Housing in general 11 06.02.2012 20:23
M9-class solar eruption: Possible damage and beautiful auroras Guest International affairs/politics 15 28.01.2012 11:12
An interesting article for the Ultra Sportsmen and Women re. heart damage Uncle GroOve Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 5 14.03.2011 14:16
Paragliding and wind surfing schools in Interlaken B.Humble Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 1 27.03.2008 16:00

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:41.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0