Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.02.2012, 15:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fresko has no particular reputation at present
Jona-Rapperswil

Hi there!

We are looking around close to Pfäffikon SZ as my husband works there. So I wounder if anyone lives in Jona? Is it a good place to live, good schools and a nice area?

Take care,
Anna
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08.02.2012, 15:21
robyn.oz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 245
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 145 Times in 86 Posts
robyn.oz is considered knowledgeablerobyn.oz is considered knowledgeablerobyn.oz is considered knowledgeable
Re: Jona-Rapperswil

But crossing that bridge in peak hour in the car is a nightmare... it is faster to walk sometimes. And peak hour sometimes happens on a Sunday afternoon...

Why not stay on the same side of the lake?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08.02.2012, 15:24
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fresko has no particular reputation at present
Re: Jona-Rapperswil

I know, with car But we are a very mouch train using family 13 min from Jona - Pfäffikon is good

We are looking at that side of the lake aswell....


Quote:
View Post
But crossing that bridge in peak hour in the car is a nightmare... it is faster to walk sometimes. And peak hour sometimes happens on a Sunday afternoon...

Why not stay on the same side of the lake?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.02.2012, 15:26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 432
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 349 Times in 184 Posts
dmarkd has earned some respectdmarkd has earned some respect
Re: Jona-Rapperswil

Quote:
View Post
But crossing that bridge in peak hour in the car is a nightmare... it is faster to walk sometimes. And peak hour sometimes happens on a Sunday afternoon...

Why not stay on the same side of the lake?
But if you lived in Rappi and worked in Pfaffikon, why would you even take the car to work?!!! Bike, run or train....thats what I did for 3 years!

Seriously, I agree, I would stay Pfaffikon side of the lake. Jona seems to be full of old people. And this side of the lake is lower tax.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08.02.2012, 15:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fresko has no particular reputation at present
Re: Jona-Rapperswil

As I said, we are looking both sides. But we need a big place as we have 4 kids and we just found a big apartment in Jona that would be good for us. So I just want some input about Jona




Quote:
View Post
But if you lived in Rappi and worked in Pfaffikon, why would you even take the car to work?!!! Bike, run or train....thats what I did for 3 years!

Seriously, I agree, I would stay Pfaffikon side of the lake. Jona seems to be full of old people. And this side of the lake is lower tax.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08.02.2012, 15:43
tom tulpe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,182
Groaned at 21 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,409 Times in 646 Posts
tom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jona-Rapperswil

Quote:
View Post
As I said, we are looking both sides. But we need a big place as we have 4 kids and we just found a big apartment in Jona that would be good for us. So I just want some input about Jona
It's not so bad. Tax is a higher in St. Gallen, but rents are lower - get a tax calculator to check how this affects you. On the plus side, Rapperswil has a good range of amenities, good transport links, and more sun, what with being the southern end of the Gold Coast.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08.02.2012, 16:08
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fresko has no particular reputation at present
Re: Jona-Rapperswil

Yeah, the sun is a big big plus

And when it comes to taxes, with 4 kids we already pay a very small amount of tax even in kt ZH.
I just wonder if the area is nice. With kids and all Playgrounds, familys with kids, nice schools and so on



Quote:
View Post
It's not so bad. Tax is a higher in St. Gallen, but rents are lower - get a tax calculator to check how this affects you. On the plus side, Rapperswil has a good range of amenities, good transport links, and more sun, what with being the southern end of the Gold Coast.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08.02.2012, 16:37
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,341
Groaned at 12 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,050 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jona-Rapperswil

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, the sun is a big big plus

And when it comes to taxes, with 4 kids we already pay a very small amount of tax even in kt ZH.
I just wonder if the area is nice. With kids and all Playgrounds, familys with kids, nice schools and so on
We live up the road a little from Jona/Rapperswil and I go to Jona for the gym and shop a lot in Rapperswil when I can. I really like both for convenience and Rapperswil has a nice feel to it and all. I have spotted several nice playgrounds, and there is the Knies Kinderzoo that is a great place to visit with the kids when it is open - and not too expensive, IMO.

I didn't really like "that other side of the lake" as much - really hard to say why - but here is a go - I felt that it was very congested, and at least in Horgen, people really live right on top of one another. I prefer the mountains to the lake... (to be fair, I was only living over there for 2 months while waiting for our house to be ready to move into)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08.02.2012, 17:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 432
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 349 Times in 184 Posts
dmarkd has earned some respectdmarkd has earned some respect
Re: Jona-Rapperswil

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, the sun is a big big plus

And when it comes to taxes, with 4 kids we already pay a very small amount of tax even in kt ZH.
I just wonder if the area is nice. With kids and all Playgrounds, familys with kids, nice schools and so on
Well, sure, it's a nice area. Has everything you need, and is very convenient. And of course, Rappi is really nice(but you can always visit it if you live the other side of the lake). But, we found the people in Jona a bit odd. Seem to be a lot of sour-faced middle aged Swiss who looked down on foreigners. And I know of 2 other families who found the same and moved elsewhere, like we did. But there again, I know of another family who are in Rappi and love it. Maybe we just lived in an odd street!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08.02.2012, 19:05
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA, former Zurich
Posts: 2,041
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,660 Posts
BokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jona-Rapperswil

I really like Jona, and absolutely love Rapperswil. My OH lives in Rappi, and it is awesome. Stores, beautiful lakefront, nice local events, and the Rappi brewery!!!

The minuses for me are:

1) I am really not into doing a daily 1-hour commute door to door, especially given that my work hours are very irregular. If I am in the office or running around to meet clients for 12-14 hours, the last thing I want is to take 1 hour to get home afterwards. Same goes for those "fun" 5am conference calls with Asia. Something to consider if you work irregular hours in Zurich, and you are not immediately close to train stations.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and saw that your husband works in Pfaffikon - if I worked in Pfaffikon, I would have already moved down there without a blink by now!

2) It does seem a bit of a "closed club" filled with odd people if you are an outsider (it certainly did to me), however it is only an initial impression IMO. Try to get involved with the life of the town, go to local events, try to speak even a tiny bit of German (I do, and it's awful, but people seem to like it).

P.S. Perhaps my opinion of the place has favorably improved once I "befriended" my OH's grumpy, busybody, neighborly old lady, who used to give me these weird stares and then it turns out she is just old and lonely, and appreciates a friendly chat here and there
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BokerTov for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 08.02.2012, 21:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fresko has no particular reputation at present
Re: Jona-Rapperswil

So you mean its mostly Swiss people living in this area?

I already speak german, so the language is no problem. First lived in Z and then moved to Uster and now looking for something closer. As we are having some problems with school where we live right now (our school is in a "problem area") the school quality is really important for us.

Thank you all for the answers, it really helps a lot!





Quote:
View Post
I really like Jona, and absolutely love Rapperswil. My OH lives in Rappi, and it is awesome. Stores, beautiful lakefront, nice local events, and the Rappi brewery!!!

The minuses for me are:

1) I am really not into doing a daily 1-hour commute door to door, especially given that my work hours are very irregular. If I am in the office or running around to meet clients for 12-14 hours, the last thing I want is to take 1 hour to get home afterwards. Same goes for those "fun" 5am conference calls with Asia. Something to consider if you work irregular hours in Zurich, and you are not immediately close to train stations.

EDIT: I just re-read your post and saw that your husband works in Pfaffikon - if I worked in Pfaffikon, I would have already moved down there without a blink by now!

2) It does seem a bit of a "closed club" filled with odd people if you are an outsider (it certainly did to me), however it is only an initial impression IMO. Try to get involved with the life of the town, go to local events, try to speak even a tiny bit of German (I do, and it's awful, but people seem to like it).

P.S. Perhaps my opinion of the place has favorably improved once I "befriended" my OH's grumpy, busybody, neighborly old lady, who used to give me these weird stares and then it turns out she is just old and lonely, and appreciates a friendly chat here and there
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09.02.2012, 16:06
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA, former Zurich
Posts: 2,041
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,660 Posts
BokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jona-Rapperswil

Quote:
View Post
So you mean its mostly Swiss people living in this area?
I am not sure about the specific stats, but all the people I met there and a few coworkers who live down that way are Swiss - also 99% of my OH's friends who live there are Swiss, so my perception might be biased.

Quote:
View Post
Thank you all for the answers, it really helps a lot!
You're welcome!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats Rapperswil-Jona like? JasminK87 Housing in general 6 20.05.2011 11:20
Rapperswil-jona Gabrielaalana Introductions 3 08.06.2010 21:14
Moving to Rapperswil / Jona sarty Introductions 7 30.06.2009 13:24
Rapperswil-Jona Blues N Jazz Festival HashBrown Social events 6 26.06.2009 17:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0