Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2021  
Old 12.05.2020, 10:29
eng_ch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Up where the air is clear
Posts: 1,733
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 1,734 Times in 878 Posts
eng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
And last but not least, rhubarb syrup.... for one you can make a cocktail with Gin using equal parts rhubarb syrup, gin and mineral water, served on ice.... yummmyyyy!!

Oh that's a recipe I'd like!
I made a rhubarb and apple crumble at the weekend, the first crop off our rhubarb that we planted (in a big pot) last year.


On another note entirely, has anyone seen any snapdragons or azaleas in the shops this year?
Reply With Quote
  #2022  
Old 12.05.2020, 14:01
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
On another note entirely, has anyone seen any snapdragons or azaleas in the shops this year?
I am sowing snapdragons from seeds, always works well. They are called 'Löwenmäulchen' in German or 'Muflier' in French
Reply With Quote
  #2023  
Old 12.05.2020, 15:03
smileygreebins's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Schwyz
Posts: 558
Groaned at 30 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,100 Times in 331 Posts
smileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
It is generally deemed safe to plant the seedlings out after the 'Eisheilige'. I hope your seedlings weill recover and you'll have a good yield all the same at the end of the garden year!!
Huge thanks, woke this morning to find a nice layer of snow over everything so very glad I took protection time yesterday!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank smileygreebins for this useful post:
  #2024  
Old 12.05.2020, 17:39
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 4,067
Groaned at 113 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 5,468 Times in 2,111 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Ok experts, another question.. what are these horrible weeds and can I selectively kill them?? They remind me of the face suckers from Alien. They are pretty hard to pull out completely since they are fragile and just break off.. and they leave these big patches of destruction

https://imgur.com/gallery/Q7RQOxE
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #2025  
Old 12.05.2020, 19:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
Ok experts, another question.. what are these horrible weeds and can I selectively kill them?? They remind me of the face suckers from Alien. They are pretty hard to pull out completely since they are fragile and just break off.. and they leave these big patches of destruction

https://imgur.com/gallery/Q7RQOxE
The flowers are bit too tiny for me too see, can you put up a picture where they are better visible.

At first glance I thought it was chicory...but the flowers don't match
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #2026  
Old 12.05.2020, 19:53
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 4,067
Groaned at 113 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 5,468 Times in 2,111 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
The flowers are bit too tiny for me too see, can you put up a picture where they are better visible.

At first glance I thought it was chicory...but the flowers don't match
Here’s some more .. they spread out in a starfish pattern and the ‘arms’ replant and grow again from there like a web.. I think they kill the grass by just smothering the area .. they grow best in the damp shaded area like beside the wall.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qZ10wrn
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #2027  
Old 12.05.2020, 20:20
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,055
Groaned at 228 Times in 192 Posts
Thanked 21,547 Times in 8,832 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
Here’s some more .. they spread out in a starfish pattern and the ‘arms’ replant and grow again from there like a web.. I think they kill the grass by just smothering the area .. they grow best in the damp shaded area like beside the wall.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qZ10wrn
I think it’s an erodium cicutarium or common stork’s bill. Or a different species of erodium but it is definitely erodium.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #2028  
Old 12.05.2020, 20:35
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 4,067
Groaned at 113 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 5,468 Times in 2,111 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
I think it’s an erodium cicutarium or common stork’s bill. Or a different species of erodium but it is definitely erodium.
It’s doing a good job of erodium my grass for sure :-)
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #2029  
Old 12.05.2020, 23:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Oh now I see it much better, it is Storchenschnabel, herb robert in English/ geranium robertianum and is actually also useable as a healing plant , the leaves are used to make tea with.


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geranium_robertianum
Reply With Quote
  #2030  
Old 13.05.2020, 10:01
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 4,067
Groaned at 113 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 5,468 Times in 2,111 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
Oh now I see it much better, it is Storchenschnabel, herb robert in English/ geranium robertianum and is actually also useable as a healing plant , the leaves are used to make tea with.


https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geranium_robertianum
Hmm I don't think its that.. It says it grows up to 50cm high.

Mine grows literally at ground level only, it hugs the ground and spreads out under the grass like a carpet, the branches replant themselves digging new stems, like an expanding web.
The flowers are tiny, smaller than a little finger nail.

It would be nice to cover a rocky area or something but just doesn't work on my grass
Reply With Quote
  #2031  
Old 13.05.2020, 10:42
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,770
Groaned at 522 Times in 414 Posts
Thanked 23,266 Times in 9,400 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

I used to have it t my old place.

As our lawn wasn't very big, I used to use a lawn scarifier to lift it a bit and make it easier to see and then dig it out by hand with a knife.

Reply With Quote
  #2032  
Old 13.05.2020, 12:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
Hmm I don't think its that.. It says it grows up to 50cm high.

Mine grows literally at ground level only, it hugs the ground and spreads out under the grass like a carpet, the branches replant themselves digging new stems, like an expanding web.
The flowers are tiny, smaller than a little finger nail.

It would be nice to cover a rocky area or something but just doesn't work on my grass
Got it, it's smaller sibling

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geranium_pusillum
Reply With Quote
  #2033  
Old 18.05.2020, 07:57
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Is it significant that the Clematis flowers have come out 3 weeks earlier than usual. Was it the Lockdown that changed the climate?
Reply With Quote
  #2034  
Old 18.05.2020, 10:04
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Risch
Posts: 738
Groaned at 37 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 806 Times in 414 Posts
KiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
Ok experts, another question.. what are these horrible weeds and can I selectively kill them?? They remind me of the face suckers from Alien. They are pretty hard to pull out completely since they are fragile and just break off.. and they leave these big patches of destruction

https://imgur.com/gallery/Q7RQOxE
Digging up with the roots with the famous swiss army knife is a pleasant sunny afternoon occupation. Spread some lawn seed/earth mixture in the gap that results.
Alternatively you could go the chemical route by spot poisoning on the leaves with round-up. Takes even longer. The selective weed killers for lawns are more toxic than round up.
Reply With Quote
  #2035  
Old 18.05.2020, 11:18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 362
Groaned at 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 327 Times in 173 Posts
Rjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputationRjellsch has an excellent reputation
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
Is it significant that the Clematis flowers have come out 3 weeks earlier than usual. Was it the Lockdown that changed the climate?
In conjunction with global warming. The reduced air pollution/particulates and slightly elevated rainwater temperatures triggered the flowers earlier.
Reply With Quote
  #2036  
Old 18.05.2020, 12:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,931
Groaned at 466 Times in 349 Posts
Thanked 11,863 Times in 6,170 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

You probably want to mow the Storchenschnabel often enough to keep them from seeding. Some literally catapult their seeds, IIRC up to a couple meters.
Reply With Quote
  #2037  
Old 19.05.2020, 19:20
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 4,067
Groaned at 113 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 5,468 Times in 2,111 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
Well.. I already Impulse bought the fake grass :-)

We would quite like that whole area between the garage and the patio to be nice underfoot, going to and from the hot-tub to patio to the pool. Maybe even a strip going from the patio to the door on the right of the photo, that's the bar

Right now there are 4 big uneven concrete slabs in the corner which need to go anyways, that's where the tub will sit, they'd burst it.. So I'm going to have a 40mm deep hole there.

I could just throw the grass down like a big rug I suppose.!


** The things one does with extra time working from home
Well I done my little hottub corner.. Used an old fashioned spade and lifted around 50mm of turf which I repurposed on some uneven ground behind the piscine.. I squared off the area and added about 25mm of sand, so that I have space for top soil down the line .. a bit of flattening, some anti weed layer and hey .. it looks not bad for a days work..

https://imgur.com/gallery/0mjpEmX
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #2038  
Old 19.05.2020, 19:37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
I am sowing snapdragons from seeds, always works well. They are called 'Löwenmäulchen' in German or 'Muflier' in French
I love them, but never heard the name 'mufilier' - my dad always sowed some and we call them 'gueules de loup' (wolf's mouth/gob).
Reply With Quote
  #2039  
Old 19.05.2020, 19:56
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,640
Groaned at 255 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 9,561 Times in 3,589 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
Well I done my little hottub corner.. Used an old fashioned spade and lifted around 50mm of turf which I repurposed on some uneven ground behind the piscine.. I squared off the area and added about 25mm of sand, so that I have space for top soil down the line .. a bit of flattening, some anti weed layer and hey .. it looks not bad for a days work..

https://imgur.com/gallery/0mjpEmX
Looks good!

I think I had seen you mention before that you were going to be using one of those inflatable hot tubs. I've thought (more like fantasized) about getting one of those for our garden. Once you get yours set up, I'd be curious to know what you think of it.
Reply With Quote
  #2040  
Old 19.05.2020, 20:09
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 4,067
Groaned at 113 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 5,468 Times in 2,111 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
Looks good!

I think I had seen you mention before that you were going to be using one of those inflatable hot tubs. I've thought (more like fantasized) about getting one of those for our garden. Once you get yours set up, I'd be curious to know what you think of it.
We’ve had ours for three years now, just the first time using it here in the ‘new’ place.. its an Intex Layzee spa brand, fits 4 adults who are quite friendly :-)

Once setup you can just leave it, change filters and add chlorine etc. I empty it few uses though and replace the water.. it’s very easy, out of the box and setup in 30 mins, an hour to fill it, 6 hours to heat it to 35 degrees.

It’s good fun. We bought it from Aldi I think.. Although it’s Intex, the box and instructions were Aldi branded ..

You obviously need a hose to fill it but also consider where you will empty it .. another length of hose to a drain or something ..
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would like info about a dentist (see rest of thread) cookie143 Family matters/health 7 13.08.2010 18:35
Please, help me finding a thread (about weird places to visit) psychodelicate Travel/day trips/free time 3 01.09.2009 18:03
How does the title of a thread affect the tone of your reply to a thread? chemgoddess General off-topic 28 18.05.2009 16:34
Yet Another Thread About Songs - Backing Vocals Tim General off-topic 8 17.06.2007 14:23
Please Read BEFORE Posting A New Thread About Schools Lou Family matters/health 0 30.03.2007 13:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0