Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1521  
Old 24.12.2017, 16:58
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,621
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,427 Times in 7,460 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

I was already surprised to read that expats have a "Schrebergarten" in your post further up
If you are able to cope with the society-rules there you're fine anywhere

It's nice and big too, eih?
Reply With Quote
  #1522  
Old 24.12.2017, 23:28
DantesDame's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,348
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,490 Times in 644 Posts
DantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond reputeDantesDame has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
I was already surprised to read that expats have a "Schrebergarten" in your post further up
If you are able to cope with the society-rules there you're fine anywhere
My husband is Swiss; I'm not sure if that was how we got the garden, or if it was my charming personality

As for the rules, it appears that I am learning them as I break them. So far, so good though: only one note on the shed door so far!

Quote:
View Post
It's nice and big too, eih?
It is "just right". Big enough to keep me busy and small enough not to feel overwhelmed.
Reply With Quote
  #1523  
Old 24.12.2017, 23:43
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,621
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,427 Times in 7,460 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
My husband is Swiss; I'm not sure if that was how we got the garden, or if it was my charming personality
I'm sure it was your charming personality Name:  Violine.png
Views: 187
Size:  1.3 KB

Quote:
View Post
As for the rules, it appears that I am learning them as I break them. So far, so good though: only one note on the shed door so far!
Best way
Reply With Quote
  #1524  
Old 28.12.2017, 12:03
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hausen am Albis, ZH
Posts: 296
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 492 Times in 188 Posts
Massa has an excellent reputationMassa has an excellent reputationMassa has an excellent reputationMassa has an excellent reputation
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Does anyone have any experience with aerating their lawn please? We live nr Hausen am Albis and our lawn is on clay and as a result absorbs water like crazy making it very soggy and slow to dry out.

I was wondering whether it was worth hiring a machine for a day to do it - or whether to use a long garden fork first. Our lawn is not large maybe 32m2.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #1525  
Old 28.12.2017, 12:11
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,055
Groaned at 228 Times in 192 Posts
Thanked 21,547 Times in 8,832 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
Does anyone have any experience with aerating their lawn please? We live nr Hausen am Albis and our lawn is on clay and as a result absorbs water like crazy making it very soggy and slow to dry out.

I was wondering whether it was worth hiring a machine for a day to do it - or whether to use a long garden fork first. Our lawn is not large maybe 32m2.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
I do ours every year. Spring or autumn is best so you'll have to wait until spring now.
It looks horrendous after it's been done but it starts to look much better after a while.
If I do it in autumn I usually put a mixture of lawn sand and lawn soil over it afterwards which helps to break the clay up over winter.
If I do it in spring I put seed in the gaps and fertilise well.

I alternate between aerating and scarifying but I have my own machine. You could just go over it with a long garden fork now and the use a machine in the spring.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #1526  
Old 04.01.2018, 17:08
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hausen am Albis, ZH
Posts: 296
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 492 Times in 188 Posts
Massa has an excellent reputationMassa has an excellent reputationMassa has an excellent reputationMassa has an excellent reputation
Re: How about a gardening thread?

@ BelgianMum - Thanks very much for the great feedback & advice! We'll try the fork approach first this weekend and then plan some further attempts over the course of the year and judge progress accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #1527  
Old 05.01.2018, 14:28
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,074
Groaned at 47 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 2,369 Times in 1,126 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

In our back garden, one of our wire fences is rather unsightly. This doesn't matter to me in the winter but in the Summer it grows with weeds which I periodically remove.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a good creeper, that is pretty and easy to manage, that would cover it in the summer months? If so, I just plant it at spaces below the fence and let it do it's stuff?
Reply With Quote
  #1528  
Old 05.01.2018, 14:43
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,604
Groaned at 284 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 24,745 Times in 10,458 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
In our back garden, one of our wire fences is rather unsightly. This doesn't matter to me in the winter but in the Summer it grows with weeds which I periodically remove.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a good creeper, that is pretty and easy to manage, that would cover it in the summer months? If so, I just plant it at spaces below the fence and let it do it's stuff?
How much sunlight does the location get?

If the answer is a medium to high, a vine looks pretty and has the aditional benefit of producing yummie grapes.
Reply With Quote
  #1529  
Old 05.01.2018, 14:45
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,770
Groaned at 522 Times in 414 Posts
Thanked 23,266 Times in 9,400 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

And if it doesn't get much sun, a Clematis produces loads of leaves and flowers.

A Montana probably has the least interesting flowers but grows really quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #1530  
Old 05.01.2018, 15:03
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,055
Groaned at 228 Times in 192 Posts
Thanked 21,547 Times in 8,832 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Honeysuckle would do the job pretty well and is very easy to grow.
Reply With Quote
  #1531  
Old 05.01.2018, 19:39
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,621
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,427 Times in 7,460 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
In our back garden, one of our wire fences is rather unsightly. This doesn't matter to me in the winter but in the Summer it grows with weeds which I periodically remove.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a good creeper, that is pretty and easy to manage, that would cover it in the summer months? If so, I just plant it at spaces below the fence and let it do it's stuff?
I got a groovy one in my little garden. No idea what it's called (I rent) but I could post a photo tomorrow (it's dark now ), someone else might know.
Doesn't lose it's leaves in winter either.
Reply With Quote
  #1532  
Old 18.01.2018, 09:40
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Zuri
Posts: 205
Groaned at 18 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 260 Times in 108 Posts
legallyspeaking has earned the respect of manylegallyspeaking has earned the respect of manylegallyspeaking has earned the respect of many
Re: How about a gardening thread?

I have been eyeing a schale of tiny succulents in a flower shop window. But at CHF 50+ it is quite expensive because i want to have multiple ones. Do any of you grow hens and chicks or other small succulents? Any advice on where can I buy them for more reasonable price? I am in Zurich but we often travel to Konstanz or Waldshut and can also buy from there.
Reply With Quote
  #1533  
Old 18.01.2018, 09:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 10,897
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 25,556 Times in 7,952 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
I have been eyeing a schale of tiny succulents in a flower shop window. But at CHF 50+ it is quite expensive because i want to have multiple ones. Do any of you grow hens and chicks or other small succulents? Any advice on where can I buy them for more reasonable price? I am in Zurich but we often travel to Konstanz or Waldshut and can also buy from there.
Go to a garden center rather than a flower shop. Small florists will generally be quite a bit more expensive than garden centers.

Most garden centers, as in plant nurseries, will still be a bit pricey.

If you can wait until spring, there will be inexpensive pots of hens and chicks (Sempervivum) galore in Hornbach and Coop B/H. The DIY store garden centers usually do not stock their outdoor plants in winter but some carry indoor plants year round.

Buy a nice ceramic planter and do up an arrangement yourself. The mark-up charged for ready made arrangements is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #1534  
Old 18.01.2018, 10:03
FrankZappa's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France, near Geneva
Posts: 868
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,775 Times in 727 Posts
FrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
I do ours every year. Spring or autumn is best so you'll have to wait until spring now.
It looks horrendous after it's been done but it starts to look much better after a while.
If I do it in autumn I usually put a mixture of lawn sand and lawn soil over it afterwards which helps to break the clay up over winter.
If I do it in spring I put seed in the gaps and fertilise well.

I alternate between aerating and scarifying but I have my own machine. You could just go over it with a long garden fork now and the use a machine in the spring.
Admirable devotion to your "gazon anglais" (English quality lawn). Our lawn is turning into a moss garden (pretty!) full of wild flowers (ditto), but I'm wondering if it'll soon be time to rent an aerating machine. If I scarify, there'll be nothing left . And it takes me an hour to cut the ... err ... moss, so I'm not motivated to do it with a fork. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #1535  
Old 18.01.2018, 11:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How about a gardening thread?

I need advice. I have about a 4 meter stretch off terrace where I need about 1.5-2 meter high privacy screen.

I had Thuja, but they died. And sucked. I‘d like something that I can grow in 4 60 cm pots, so mostly vertical, and relatively drought resistant. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

My terrace also needs a good cleanup. Can anyone suggest someone to do this? Winterthur area. About a two day job, some hauling of dirt, etc. I‘m just not mobile enough right now.


Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #1536  
Old 18.01.2018, 11:40
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,621
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,427 Times in 7,460 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
I need advice. I have about a 4 meter stretch off terrace where I need about 1.5-2 meter high privacy screen.

I had Thuja, but they died. And sucked. I‘d like something that I can grow in 4 60 cm pots, so mostly vertical, and relatively drought resistant. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

My terrace also needs a good cleanup. Can anyone suggest someone to do this? Winterthur area. About a two day job, some hauling of dirt, etc. I‘m just not mobile enough right now.


Thanks!
Verein Läbesruum.
They do good work and you do something "good" using their services.

They may also have an idea for your plant-solution.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #1537  
Old 18.01.2018, 11:45
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,055
Groaned at 228 Times in 192 Posts
Thanked 21,547 Times in 8,832 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
I need advice. I have about a 4 meter stretch off terrace where I need about 1.5-2 meter high privacy screen.

I had Thuja, but they died. And sucked. I‘d like something that I can grow in 4 60 cm pots, so mostly vertical, and relatively drought resistant. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.


Thanks!
Something like photinia might work well.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #1538  
Old 18.01.2018, 12:56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hausen am Albis, ZH
Posts: 296
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 492 Times in 188 Posts
Massa has an excellent reputationMassa has an excellent reputationMassa has an excellent reputationMassa has an excellent reputation
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
I have been eyeing a schale of tiny succulents in a flower shop window. But at CHF 50+ it is quite expensive because i want to have multiple ones. Do any of you grow hens and chicks or other small succulents? Any advice on where can I buy them for more reasonable price? I am in Zurich but we often travel to Konstanz or Waldshut and can also buy from there.
Animal welfare & husbandry laws are much stricter in CH than across the border- hence the higher price point. If you care about their welfare maybe it’s best to buy locally within CH. Look at the FSVO website for more info.
Reply With Quote
  #1539  
Old 18.01.2018, 13:05
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,055
Groaned at 228 Times in 192 Posts
Thanked 21,547 Times in 8,832 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
Animal welfare & husbandry laws are much stricter in CH than across the border- hence the higher price point. If you care about their welfare maybe it’s best to buy locally within CH. Look at the FSVO website for more info.
I think they mean these hens and chicks rather than the feathered kind.

I have to admit that the term was a new one on me in regards to succulents and I had to look it up.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #1540  
Old 18.01.2018, 14:06
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,770
Groaned at 522 Times in 414 Posts
Thanked 23,266 Times in 9,400 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How about a gardening thread?

Quote:
View Post
I think they mean these hens and chicks rather than the feathered kind.

I have to admit that the term was a new one on me in regards to succulents and I had to look it up.

Some people call them house leeks too which seems a bit weird.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would like info about a dentist (see rest of thread) cookie143 Family matters/health 7 13.08.2010 18:35
Please, help me finding a thread (about weird places to visit) psychodelicate Travel/day trips/free time 3 01.09.2009 18:03
How does the title of a thread affect the tone of your reply to a thread? chemgoddess General off-topic 28 18.05.2009 16:34
Yet Another Thread About Songs - Backing Vocals Tim General off-topic 8 17.06.2007 14:23
Please Read BEFORE Posting A New Thread About Schools Lou Family matters/health 0 30.03.2007 13:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0