Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29.04.2013, 23:20
Evren79's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 50
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 17 Posts
Evren79 has earned some respectEvren79 has earned some respect
What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

Hi All,
today, after a two-month intensive search I have, for the first time, been offered an apartment in Zurich but I turned it down. I'm not gonna bore you with the details but it was really pushing 2000 CHF which is the highest rent I am prepared to pay. I'd rather comfortably stay around 1700 but I could accept the stretch for my dream apartment. For some reason I mistakenly applied for this expensive apartment in an excellent location (Goldbrunnenplatz) but I wasn't convinced at all because the place would need some revamp...funny enough this morning I get a call from Livit (the agency) congratulating me for being selected for the apartment, it felt so akward because the guy sounded like it was absolutely sure I would take the apartment and sounded very annoyed when he sensed I was having second thoughts and asked if it was possible to let me have another quick look before I confirmed. His answer was there were tons of applicants who would take it right away so he didn't have to bother arranging another visit for me. I really wanted a reason to have the apartment grow on me by looking at it again with different eyes but I saw his point and cannot argue it because house hunting in Zurich is what it is and in the end tenants have to suck it up and consider themselves lucky to have a roof on their head.

Since I wasn't 100% and didn't want to drag it too long, I sent him an e-mail this afternoon in which I explained my reasons for not wanting to go forward and to thank him for selecting me hoping that my decision wouldn't jeopardize any future application I might send them. I really gave him an answer within 3 hours because he made me feel bad for saying no and I wanted to make it up by not wasting more of his time.

My question to you is:
Do you think that by turning down this offer I can forget about applying for other properties advertised by Livit? It's a big agency, it would be a pity but I guess it's really out of my control now. Do you have any similar experience and got offered a second apartment from the same agency?
This search is really getting me depressed
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29.04.2013, 23:36
JBZ86's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zurich and various mountains
Posts: 3,713
Groaned at 521 Times in 338 Posts
Thanked 4,258 Times in 1,944 Posts
JBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond reputeJBZ86 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

Pull the shutters down, hide the passport, lock the door. Don't let them take you. Hide the passport real well.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29.04.2013, 23:47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 388
Groaned at 107 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 210 Times in 119 Posts
Burner is considered unworthyBurner is considered unworthyBurner is considered unworthyBurner is considered unworthyBurner is considered unworthy
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

Quote:
View Post
Hi All,
today, after a two-month intensive search I have, for the first time, been offered an apartment in Zurich but I turned it down. I'm not gonna bore you with the details but it was really pushing 2000 CHF which is the highest rent I am prepared to pay. I'd rather comfortably stay around 1700 but I could accept the stretch for my dream apartment. For some reason I mistakenly applied for this expensive apartment in an excellent location (Goldbrunnenplatz) but I wasn't convinced at all because the place would need some revamp...funny enough this morning I get a call from Livit (the agency) congratulating me for being selected for the apartment, it felt so akward because the guy sounded like it was absolutely sure I would take the apartment and sounded very annoyed when he sensed I was having second thoughts and asked if it was possible to let me have another quick look before I confirmed. His answer was there were tons of applicants who would take it right away so he didn't have to bother arranging another visit for me. I really wanted a reason to have the apartment grow on me by looking at it again with different eyes but I saw his point and cannot argue it because house hunting in Zurich is what it is and in the end tenants have to suck it up and consider themselves lucky to have a roof on their head.

Since I wasn't 100% and didn't want to drag it too long, I sent him an e-mail this afternoon in which I explained my reasons for not wanting to go forward and to thank him for selecting me hoping that my decision wouldn't jeopardize any future application I might send them. I really gave him an answer within 3 hours because he made me feel bad for saying no and I wanted to make it up by not wasting more of his time.

My question to you is:
Do you think that by turning down this offer I can forget about applying for other properties advertised by Livit? It's a big agency, it would be a pity but I guess it's really out of my control now. Do you have any similar experience and got offered a second apartment from the same agency?
This search is really getting me depressed
Unfortunately the agent may now think of you as what is know as a "f'ing time waster"

He may black list you, he may also tell some of his office buddies too.

I wish you well! lol
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29.04.2013, 23:49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 328
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 323 Times in 175 Posts
tigereyeali has made some interesting contributions
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

You get deported.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29.04.2013, 23:54
Evren79's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 50
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 17 Posts
Evren79 has earned some respectEvren79 has earned some respect
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

Thanks for making me laugh guys
I'm afraid my fear of being blacklisted is probably correct, it was really a mistake but I guess they don't care now and I'm scr***d
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 29.04.2013, 23:57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 328
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 323 Times in 175 Posts
tigereyeali has made some interesting contributions
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for making me laugh guys
I'm afraid my fear of being blacklisted is probably correct, it was really a mistake but I guess they don't care now and I'm scr***d
Ive heard horror stories about Livit...consider yourself a lucky escape and stay away from them!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank tigereyeali for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 29.04.2013, 23:59
Evren79's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 50
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 17 Posts
Evren79 has earned some respectEvren79 has earned some respect
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

Quote:
View Post
Ive heard horror stories about Livit...consider yourself a lucky escape and stay away from them!
Really? This guy wasn't exactly nice to me and even though I didn't find it appropriate, I still focused on the fact that no matter the reason, for him I was a waste of time so I kinda accepted being treated the way he did, he basically called me a liar...LOL and I still sent hima nice and polite e-mail after that, does it show I am desperate?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30.04.2013, 00:09
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 328
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 323 Times in 175 Posts
tigereyeali has made some interesting contributions
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

Quote:
View Post
Really? This guy wasn't exactly nice to me and even though I didn't find it appropriate, I still focused on the fact that no matter the reason, for him I was a waste of time so I kinda accepted being treated the way he did, he basically called me a liar...LOL and I still sent hima nice and polite e-mail after that, does it show I am desperate?
Theres plenty of apartments out there! I was driving around and seen so many new builds being available from Halter and Grieder. i just moved into a new build at the begininning of the month. Im in Seebach and my agency is Grieder. No problems so far and theyre so friendly!

Just gotta look around really. No such thing as not enough apartments...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tigereyeali for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 30.04.2013, 01:16
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,889
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

Avoid taking an apartment with Livit, they have a very bad reputation as landlords.

If you had signed an agreement to take an apartment, then they will usually try and charge you Sfr 100 for creating the contract, although this is illegal.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30.04.2013, 01:34
Evren79's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 50
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 17 Posts
Evren79 has earned some respectEvren79 has earned some respect
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

Quote:
View Post
Avoid taking an apartment with Livit, they have a very bad reputation as landlords.

If you had signed an agreement to take an apartment, then they will usually try and charge you Sfr 100 for creating the contract, although this is illegal.
Thanks, I didn't know about their reputation. Well the CHF 100 charge I could read it in the application form but I was at an earlier stage, they called me to offer the apartment, i had to say yes before they issued the contract but I said no, I don't think they can ask anything of me.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 30.04.2013, 09:00
simon_ch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,390
Groaned at 128 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,377 Posts
simon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

Don't worry, it happens constantly as most people apply for many appartments simultaneously. It's not a buyers market so they can afford to be rude, but they handle so many people I would be surprised if they remember you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank simon_ch for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 30.04.2013, 09:04
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 5,837
Groaned at 34 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,510 Times in 2,624 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure you made the right decision, and of course someone else will easily take the apartment...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 30.04.2013, 09:14
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,756
Groaned at 24 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 6,648 Times in 3,007 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

We did a similar thing (not with Livit), we hadn't signed a contract though, and there was no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 30.04.2013, 09:22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 352
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Ryan_CH is considered knowledgeableRyan_CH is considered knowledgeableRyan_CH is considered knowledgeable
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

Don't worry too much. It is a known fact that if a tenant is looking for an apartment, he cannot just bank on one apartment. So, tenants apply for multiple apartments at a time.

If they get selected for multiple apartments, they pick one. For the other ones, they simply tell that they found another apartment (close to the office/ better offer etc. etc.). The agencies bill 50/80 CHF (depending on Canton) for turning the apartment down and get over with it. If the agency is still being cocky & taking it personally, there are plenty others out there.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 30.04.2013, 10:10
Evren79's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 50
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 17 Posts
Evren79 has earned some respectEvren79 has earned some respect
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

Thanks everybody,
I wasn’t worried about being charged a fee, it was really like this: I sent the application, got selected for the apartment and I asked to think about it. Three hours later I sent a very detailed e-mail turning down the offer explaining my concerns, thanking them for choosing me among all the applicants and apologizing for the time loss hoping this would jeopardize a future applications with Livit. Basically I said no immediately, they didn’t prepare any contract, my only concern was that I would be blacklisted but today they replied to my e-mail like this:

Quote:
Besten Dank für Ihre ausführliche E-Mail und Ihre Ehrlichkeit. Wir nehmen Ihre Entscheidung zur Kenntnis und bedauern diese zugleich. Natürlich können Sie sich in Zukunft wieder bei der Livit AG für eine Wohnung bewerben. An dieser Stelle möchten wir uns nochmals für Ihre Offenheit bedanken und wünschen Ihnen viel Erfolg bei der weiteren Wohnungssuche.

it doesn’t sound too bad, does it? Maybe it’s a formal reply and behind the scene they just put my name in their “time wasters” file. The thing is I couldn’t say I chose another apartment because it’s not true, I am still looking, I just wasn’t sure about that one in particular and shouldn’t have sent the application.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Evren79 for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 30.04.2013, 14:07
simon_ch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,390
Groaned at 128 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,377 Posts
simon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond reputesimon_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What happens when you say no? (to an apartment)

Quote:
View Post
it doesn’t sound too bad, does it? Maybe it’s a formal reply and behind the scene they just put my name in their “time wasters” file. The thing is I couldn’t say I chose another apartment because it’s not true, I am still looking, I just wasn’t sure about that one in particular and shouldn’t have sent the application.
Again, it speaks for you to do things properly and politely, but there's no way they would remember you or hold a grudge for turning down an appartment. They will have found another tenant half an hour after your email.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank simon_ch for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to ask about when looking at an apartment cereus Housing in general 11 10.10.2009 21:27
What happens if you are not in when your license plates are delivered? cbb Transportation/driving 2 07.09.2009 22:38
What happens when you cross MI5? Castro International affairs/politics 4 20.07.2009 14:57
What happens when you let the trolley dolly drive? Shorrick Mk2 Jokes/funnies 3 04.05.2008 17:41
What happens if I say no to an apartment offer? alanmack Housing in general 14 30.04.2008 17:12


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0