Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.03.2014, 19:06
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: zh
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
catcherintherye has no particular reputation at present
Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Hello everyone,

My housemate is not paying her share of the rent or bills since beginning of the year (start of the lease). I have been trying to sort it out with her for the past couple of weeks but no luck. Both of our names are on the lease, but all bills have been paid from my account. She has not paid even her share of the deposit. Therefore I decided to expel her. How do I do that?

Thanks,

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.03.2014, 19:10
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 10,986
Groaned at 90 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,550 Times in 7,111 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Do you have a contract or any kind of written agreement with her or was it a "casual arrangement"?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 16.03.2014, 19:12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: zh
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
catcherintherye has no particular reputation at present
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Quote:
View Post
Do you have a contract or any kind of written agreement with her or was it a "casual arrangement"?
We both signed the lease with an agency. However, all payments including the deposit were made with my money from my account.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16.03.2014, 19:17
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 10,986
Groaned at 90 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,550 Times in 7,111 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Quote:
View Post
We both signed the lease with an agency. However, all payments including the deposit were made with my money from my account.
So there's no written agreement between the two of you? She planned that well, didn't she?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 16.03.2014, 19:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: zh
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
catcherintherye has no particular reputation at present
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Quote:
View Post
So there's no written agreement between the two of you? She planned that well, didn't she?
No, there is no agreement between the two of us. Can't I do anything based on the fact that she hasn't fulfilled her part of the contract with the agency?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.03.2014, 19:24
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,211
Groaned at 1,167 Times in 914 Posts
Thanked 25,099 Times in 12,014 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Stop paying her half of the bills!

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 16.03.2014, 19:26
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 10,986
Groaned at 90 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,550 Times in 7,111 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Quote:
View Post
No, there is no agreement between the two of us. Can't I do anything based on the fact that she hasn't fulfilled her part of the contract with the agency?
But if the agency have their money, they aren't going to care where it comes from. The fact that you seem to have covered the full amount and are chasing your roommate for her share is none of their concern.

Why isn't she paying? What are the reasons she's giving? It must be pretty difficult not to get some kind of answer from her if she's sharing the same living space as you.

You haven't really filled in the blanks so I guess nobody can give you a straight answer if you don't provide the full story.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 16.03.2014, 19:36
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,675
Groaned at 252 Times in 213 Posts
Thanked 13,087 Times in 7,364 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Quote:
View Post
But if the agency have their money, they aren't going to care where it comes from. The fact that you seem to have covered the full amount and are chasing your roommate for her share is none of their concern.

Why isn't she paying? What are the reasons she's giving? It must be pretty difficult not to get some kind of answer from her if she's sharing the same living space as you.

You haven't really filled in the blanks so I guess nobody can give you a straight answer if you don't provide the full story.
The liability is joint several, so the OP is liable 100% if the other person defaults.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 16.03.2014, 19:37
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: zh
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
catcherintherye has no particular reputation at present
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Quote:
View Post
But if the agency have their money, they aren't going to care where it comes from. The fact that you seem to have covered the full amount and are chasing your roommate for her share is none of their concern.

Why isn't she paying? What are the reasons she's giving? It must be pretty difficult not to get some kind of answer from her if she's sharing the same living space as you.

You haven't really filled in the blanks so I guess nobody can give you a straight answer if you don't provide the full story.
Let me rephrase my question: is it possible to sign a new lease with the agency so that I am the only person renting?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16.03.2014, 19:38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: zh
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
catcherintherye has no particular reputation at present
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Quote:
View Post
The liability is joint several, so the OP is liable 100% if the other person defaults.
I understand that I won't get my money back. I just want to cut my losses from now on.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 16.03.2014, 19:38
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 15,675
Groaned at 252 Times in 213 Posts
Thanked 13,087 Times in 7,364 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Quote:
View Post
Let me rephrase my question: is it possible to sign a new lease with the agency so that I am the only person renting?
If you can agree that with the other person yes, as your 100% liable as it is I don't see any benefit.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 16.03.2014, 19:42
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: zh
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
catcherintherye has no particular reputation at present
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Quote:
View Post
If you can agree that with the other person yes, as your 100% liable as it is I don't see any benefit.
The benefit would be her moving out and somebody else (who would pay their bills) moving in.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16.03.2014, 21:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: What's it to you?
Posts: 2,730
Groaned at 101 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,368 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Quote:
View Post
The benefit would be her moving out and somebody else (who would pay their bills) moving in.
Agreed. But what's in it for her as long as you are paying the bills? If she moves she may need to start paying her way again. Shock! Horror! She would be a fool to make it easy for you.

(And no I don't condone what she has done, just playing the devil's advocate)
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Snoopy for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 16.03.2014, 21:27
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,899
Groaned at 96 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 4,524 Times in 1,799 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Have you explained the situation to your landlord and talked to him/her about your options (removing her from the lease)?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 16.03.2014, 21:52
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,341
Groaned at 35 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 10,436 Times in 3,159 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Quote:
View Post
Have you explained the situation to your landlord and talked to him/her about your options (removing her from the lease)?
This is the route you'll have to go. The landlord can't remove someone from the lease; instead, he has to cancel the whole lease (for both of you) with the appropriate notice period, and then sign a new one with just you.

In the meantime, both tenants, separately and together, continue to be responsible for the whole rent - meaning if any part of it is not paid, the landlord has the right to come after either/both of you for it, not just the person whose half wasn't paid.

More detail here (in German):
http://www.mieterverband.ch/zh_mb_solidarmiete.0.html
__________________
Need help? Contact a mod.

Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank MathNut for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 16.03.2014, 21:53
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 17,856
Groaned at 300 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 13,139 Times in 7,530 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Um, how about putting all her personal belongings outside on a rainy day.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 16.03.2014, 21:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 21,035
Groaned at 445 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 23,989 Times in 10,888 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Join your local Mietverband- they will be able to help you sort this out- and as MathNut says, talk to your landlord asap. I feel for you-
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 16.03.2014, 22:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: What's it to you?
Posts: 2,730
Groaned at 101 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,368 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Quote:
View Post
Join your local Mietverband- they will be able to help you sort this out- and as MathNut says, talk to your landlord asap. I feel for you-
Actually Odile, I am not sure that they would want to get involved. It is not an issue between the tenants and the landlord, but really between the tenants themselves.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Snoopy for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 16.03.2014, 23:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 21,035
Groaned at 445 Times in 337 Posts
Thanked 23,989 Times in 10,888 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

They might not want to 'get involved' but should still be able to give advice on best to proceed, perhaps?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 16.03.2014, 23:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,389
Groaned at 594 Times in 451 Posts
Thanked 13,931 Times in 5,413 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Housemate not paying her share of the rent

Quote:
View Post
Hello everyone,

My housemate is not paying her share of the rent or bills since beginning of the year (start of the lease). I have been trying to sort it out with her for the past couple of weeks but no luck. Both of our names are on the lease, but all bills have been paid from my account. She has not paid even her share of the deposit. Therefore I decided to expel her. How do I do that?

Thanks,

Mark
Its a bit odd that you don't explain what her reasons for not paying are... you live in the same house so I presume you have discussed it with her at length?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The criteria of "living in the apt" for not paying tax for selling the previous one Zayana Finance/banking/taxation 24 20.01.2011 18:04
Help subtenant not paying rent captainjack Complaints corner 21 27.09.2010 22:06


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0