Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 16.02.2015, 23:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,528
Groaned at 50 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 3,545 Times in 1,803 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

As it's just an 1 hr train ride I don't get why you'd need to be in a hurry to terminate your lease, especially as it seems that Geneva rents are higher than Lausanne ones. Just do as many viewings as you can before you start your job (rather have multiple people view the flat together than have a zillion viewings for singles and couples) - and if it doesn't work out with a new tenant until your job starts, just start your job and in the first couple of weeks offer viewings of your Lausanne flat on Saturdays.

That way you should find a replacement tenant for your flat fairly quickly. Remember - finding just one suitable tenant for your apartment is sufficient for the landlord/agency.

If I were a landlord a mere move to Geneva due to job reasons wouldn't be reason enough for me to offer a tenant more methods under which he can terminate his contract than the law already does. Deathly ill relative who requires your 24 hour care in Geneva - ok, I might consider it. You're ill yourself and need a cheaper flat which is only available in Geneva (e.g. a nursing home) - I would definitely consider it. But your starting a job in a new location less than an hour away would necessitate a very good reason apart from just the job for me to go the extra mile to be more lenient than the law already is.

If your job requires you to live in Geneva, IMO your employer could (though he isn't required to) help you find accommodation in Geneva. I very much doubt this would include help with getting out of your current lease though.


Quote:
View Post
And nope, changing cantons doesn't get you out from under your obligations.
Is this also posted in a prominent place on the forum? It seems that many posters think they can terminate contracts early because they change cantons/countries... it could be helpful for the newbies who wonder if they have to honor contracts despite moving around or out of CH.

Last edited by glowjupiter; 16.02.2015 at 23:47.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank glowjupiter for this useful post:
  #122  
Old 17.02.2015, 00:04
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lausanne (VD)
Posts: 296
Groaned at 68 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 183 Times in 77 Posts
vribium has earned some respectvribium has earned some respect
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

Quote:
View Post
As it's just an 1 hr train ride I don't get why you'd need to be in a hurry to terminate your lease, especially as it seems that Geneva rents are higher than Lausanne ones. Just do as many viewings as you can before you start your job (rather have multiple people view the flat together than have a zillion viewings for singles and couples) - and if it doesn't work out with a new tenant until your job starts, just start your job and in the first couple of weeks offer viewings of your Lausanne flat on Saturdays.

That way you should find a replacement tenant for your flat fairly quickly. Remember - finding just one suitable tenant for your apartment is sufficient for the landlord/agency.

If I were a landlord a mere move to Geneva due to job reasons wouldn't be reason enough for me to offer a tenant more methods under which he can terminate his contract than the law already does. Deathly ill relative who requires your 24 hour care in Geneva - ok, I might consider it. You're ill yourself and need a cheaper flat which is only available in Geneva (e.g. a nursing home) - I would definitely consider it. But your starting a job in a new location less than an hour away would necessitate a very good reason apart from just the job for me to go the extra mile to be more lenient than the law already is.

If your job requires you to live in Geneva, IMO your employer could (though he isn't required to) help you find accommodation in Geneva. I very much doubt this would include help with getting out of your current lease though.

No the job does not require me to relocate, but I am an immigrant and the canton is paying the rent on my behalf, as it is even way more than they are willing to shell out for me, I am paying 25% from my monthly allowance. I don't mind it though, as when I was in a hostel I used to pay more than that for food, as I only could eat outside daily. Now, with this money I have left I would not be able to pay for the hour rides each day, and there is also another factor, in that I am being accepted as an intern for 800chf upto 3 months, I would still get aid from the state as my salay in this internship period is less thsn 2500.

So, say I take the job I will get 600chf a month from the state and 800chf from the employer, 40chf per day would be wasted for transport, which amounts to 1200chf a month ... it won't just add up.

I will just have to let this one go or explain the problem to company, and hope something will come out of it
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 17.02.2015, 00:04
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,573
Groaned at 96 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,173 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

Quote:
View Post
I'm in Montreux
It will take a minimum of 6 months to get a place to live in Geneva. Get ready to do the commute like soooo many others!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #124  
Old 17.02.2015, 00:08
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,573
Groaned at 96 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,173 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

Quote:
View Post

I will just have to let this one go or explain the problem to company, and hope something will come out of it
Really? So you're not at all serious about getting a job then. Easier to just keep getting money from the state?

Sorry. But you're totally out of line.

You've been bitching you can't get a job, you can't find a place to live, you're life is a mess, and now that you've been offered work to get experience, you can't do that either cuz heaven forbid you commute an hour each way for, OMG, a whole 3 months.

And there are things called monthly and yearly train passes. They cost much less if you use them than buying full fare tickets. I'm sure you'll get subsidies for that too if you ask.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #125  
Old 17.02.2015, 00:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,528
Groaned at 50 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 3,545 Times in 1,803 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

Quote:
View Post
No the job does not require me to relocate, but I am an immigrant and the canton is paying the rent on my behalf, as it is even way more than they are willing to shell out for me, I am paying 25% from my monthly allowance. I don't mind it though, as when I was in a hostel I used to pay more than that for food, as I only could eat outside daily. Now, with this money I have left I would not be able to pay for the hour rides each day, and there is also another factor, in that I am being accepted as an intern for 800chf upto 3 months, I would still get aid from the state as my salay in this internship period is less thsn 2500.

So, say I take the job I will get 600chf a month from the state and 800chf from the employer, 40chf per day would be wasted for transport, which amounts to 1200chf a month ... it won't just add up.

I will just have to let this one go or explain the problem to company, and hope something will come out of it
If the canton is already paying your rent now in a place which is probably way cheaper than Geneva and it is already higher than what they want to pay, what makes you think that they'd help you pay your rent if you were to relocate?
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 17.02.2015, 00:17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lausanne (VD)
Posts: 296
Groaned at 68 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 183 Times in 77 Posts
vribium has earned some respectvribium has earned some respect
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

Quote:
View Post
If the canton is already paying your rent now in a place which is probably way cheaper than Geneva and it is already higher than what they want to pay, what makes you think that they'd help you pay your rent if you were to relocate?
you are missing the point that once I relocate and beome fully autonomous (financialy) after 3 months, I will pay for my rent and keep living. They will only pay as long as my salary is less than 2500. That is even if you get 2499 they will pay 1chf. But you could opt out and say I don't need handouts at any moment even if you get 1000chf per month.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 17.02.2015, 00:20
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,117
Groaned at 23 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 772 Times in 465 Posts
Meerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

I don't know where you're getting that 1200, first of all the train with half price costs 30 fr per day (15 + 15), and you even counted weekend days?
If you can't even be bothered to look at abonnement prices maybe you don't want that job after all.
A monthly point-to-point abonnement costs 341 fr per month, that's more or less 15 fr per working day, absolutely affordable I'd say. Costs even less if you're <25 and for sure your commune has discounts.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 17.02.2015, 00:23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lausanne (VD)
Posts: 296
Groaned at 68 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 183 Times in 77 Posts
vribium has earned some respectvribium has earned some respect
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

Quote:
View Post
Really? So you're not at all serious about getting a job then. Easier to just keep getting money from the state?

Sorry. But you're totally out of line.

You've been bitching you can't get a job, you can't find a place to live, you're life is a mess, and now that you've been offered work to get experience, you can't do that either cuz heaven forbid you commute an hour each way for, OMG, a whole 3 months.

And there are things called monthly and yearly train passes. They cost much less if you use them than buying full fare tickets. I'm sure you'll get subsidies for that too if you ask.
I just said I get 600 (585 to be EXACT) per month for just about everything(food/drinks/clothing/transport/haircut) except the studio I live in. Does that sound easier to you?
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 17.02.2015, 00:25
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,573
Groaned at 96 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,173 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

Quote:
View Post
you are missing the point that once I relocate and beome fully autonomous (financialy) after 3 months, I will pay for my rent and keep living. They will only pay as long as my salary is less than 2500. That is even if you get 2499 they will pay 1chf. But you could opt out and say I don't need handouts at any moment even if you get 1000chf per month.
This is an internship for "up to 3 months". You're not going to be financially independent after that. There is NO guarantee you will get hired full time after this.

Stay where you are, get a monthly pass, do your internship, do a great job, hope they hire you full time, if they hire you full time wait out your three month trial period, THEN and only then start thinking about moving.


Quote:
View Post
I just said I get 600 (585 to be EXACT) per month for just about everything(food/drinks/clothing/transport/haircut) except the studio I live in. Does that sound easier to you?

I never said it was easy. Go ask them to help you pay for your travel pass.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #130  
Old 17.02.2015, 00:26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lausanne (VD)
Posts: 296
Groaned at 68 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 183 Times in 77 Posts
vribium has earned some respectvribium has earned some respect
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

Quote:
View Post
I don't know where you're getting that 1200, first of all the train with half price costs 30 fr per day (15 + 15), and you even counted weekend days?
If you can't even be bothered to look at abonnement prices maybe you don't want that job after all.
A monthly point-to-point abonnement costs 341 fr per month, that's more or less 15 fr per working day, absolutely affordable I'd say. Costs even less if you're <25 and for sure your commune has discounts.
Good to know, this just all happened today, so I was caught by surprise and I could only think of the contract rather than anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 17.02.2015, 00:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,528
Groaned at 50 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 3,545 Times in 1,803 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

Quote:
View Post
I just said I get 600 (585 to be EXACT) per month for just about everything(food/drinks/clothing/transport/haircut) except the studio I live in. Does that sound easier to you?
585 minus 341 equals 244.-. That amount for food and drinks should be sufficient for a single person, no? You can do haircuts with a friend or by yourself and food can be bought on sale, I'm sure you don't need clothing every month
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 17.02.2015, 00:40
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,573
Groaned at 96 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,173 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

Quote:
View Post
Good to know, this just all happened today, so I was caught by surprise and I could only think of the contract rather than anything else.
Well, that is excellent that you got this opportunity. Congratulations! Now let's figure out how you're going to make this work for three months.

Ask the company if they pay or contribute to travel costs.

Ask your social worker if they pay for or contribute to travel costs.

I have lots of low cost meal tips and I'll even make you a lasagna. That should keep you for a couple of days. I make a kick ass lasagna.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #133  
Old 17.02.2015, 05:18
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,057
Groaned at 131 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 3,742 Times in 1,429 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

Don't do the Montreux to Geneva commute it kills anyone who tries it! The end to end commute is a lot longer of course. The train time is just over 70 mins from memory then you have the each end part. Ends up being easily 90 minutes each way. I know a few people who have tried it and ended up having to hotel it mid week just to get some sanity back.

Exit montreux and find something further up the lake doesnt have to be in central Geneva, just along the train line.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 17.02.2015, 08:36
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,580
Groaned at 62 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 3,187 Times in 1,571 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

Go and talk to the RAV people, or whoever it is that is paying your rent etc. If they think this internship will lead to a job for you, and you explain the situation, they might give you a monthly travel pass until you are earning enough to cover it yourself.

Also if housing is as bad as it sounds in Geneva and you wouldn't find anything there soon anyway, the train ticket will be cheaper than a hotel room.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 17.02.2015, 14:54
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 7,576
Groaned at 51 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 11,485 Times in 5,391 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

OP, it might be helpful if you included a bit more about your situation up front so people could understand where you're coming from. IIRC, you were here on an F refugee permit and that's now converted to B. However you've still needed help from the canton because you couldn't find a job.

Now you have an internship offer. That's great! I know the commute sounds tough but this is a good way to get your foot in the door. As miniMia says, if you do a good job you might get hired by this company for a longer term, or it could lead to another position elsewhere. Getting that first job is always the biggest challenge.

I would not try to move for just 3 months. Wait until you see if the contract is extended. Don't be shy - as others have said, ask the employer and your social worker for help with transport costs. It's in both their interest and yours to get you on your own two feet. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 17.02.2015, 15:58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lausanne (VD)
Posts: 296
Groaned at 68 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 183 Times in 77 Posts
vribium has earned some respectvribium has earned some respect
Re: Changing cantons - can I terminate my lease early?

Quote:
View Post
OP, it might be helpful if you included a bit more about your situation up front so people could understand where you're coming from. IIRC, you were here on an F refugee permit and that's now converted to B. However you've still needed help from the canton because you couldn't find a job.

Now you have an internship offer. That's great! I know the commute sounds tough but this is a good way to get your foot in the door. As miniMia says, if you do a good job you might get hired by this company for a longer term, or it could lead to another position elsewhere. Getting that first job is always the biggest challenge.

I would not try to move for just 3 months. Wait until you see if the contract is extended. Don't be shy - as others have said, ask the employer and your social worker for help with transport costs. It's in both their interest and yours to get you on your own two feet. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
I am sure I'll get the job, as I have passed the exam and the interview went well, the 3 months is to learn some of the proprietary software these guys use, but no one has ever heard of. So, I will be given some time to learn it, as most of them work using it. Also I did well in the exam, which is why, they said I was *selected* and was given a week and contract to respond. So, I guess this is more assuring than an Internship though I still don't know the difference . I am working on the state thing now, to see if they can raise my charity for that first month (on loan), as it will be the most difficult one.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 17.02.2015, 23:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,475
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,622 Times in 1,422 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Urgent advice needed for early termination of apartment lease

Quote:
View Post
Maybe, but as he says he moved several times in CH.....

I jsut can't see his angle, he had to find 5 prospectives, not one, he moved oput 2 weeks early to "help" the landlord. This is all well above the leagal requirement so absolutely no advantage to the OP !


Oh, I think Styger did have advantages. They were advantages in the sense of cooperation and freedom.


As I understand it, beyond the actual fact of having gotten out of the lease both quickly and legally, Styger achieved:
- a clean state,
- a good feeling about him/herself (honour, dignity, fairness),
- a friendly parting from the landlord, (potential reference for the future) and therefore
- no trouble with the minor defects found during the hand-over
- getting the deposit back, and, through all that,
- the confidence of knowing how to go about getting out of any further lease, should that ever be necessary. (And subsequently, now knowing more than at that time, how to do it even better and more easily!)
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 17.02.2015, 23:25
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Zug
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
zug2015 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Urgent advice needed for early termination of apartment lease

Leaving the apartment isn't that easy in Switzerland. I had to give 3-month notice in writing with signature (e-mail didn't count) to move out of the apartment unless you find a tenant yourself. Even you do this, it doesn't mean you can get your deposit back because they may not find the apartment clean enough. I am in search of a cleaning company which will clean the apartment the way the landlord wants so I can get my deposit back. Eveything requires a lot of planning and formality in Switzerland.
I think your best is to find a replacement.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 17.02.2015, 23:50
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bern
Posts: 28
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
samb23 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Urgent advice needed for early termination of apartment lease

Just an update: I was able to find a new tenant at the very last minute, he came, inspected the place and spoke to the property company in front of me. He's hopefully moving in two weeks as long as all documents are verified.

This thread can be closed if possible. I appreciate everyone's input, suggestions, tips, and advice
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank samb23 for this useful post:
  #140  
Old 18.02.2015, 00:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,528
Groaned at 50 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 3,545 Times in 1,803 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Urgent advice needed for early termination of apartment lease

Quote:
View Post
Just an update: I was able to find a new tenant at the very last minute, he came, inspected the place and spoke to the property company in front of me. He's hopefully moving in two weeks as long as all documents are verified.

This thread can be closed if possible. I appreciate everyone's input, suggestions, tips, and advice
Is he a replacement tenant or a subtenant?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank glowjupiter for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
contract, early, handover, lease, leaving apartment early, tenancy, tenant, termination, vaud




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How hard is it to find someone to take over your lease? RobertS Housing in general 4 16.08.2012 21:49
Want to post a big parcel, post Office says it is too big Sutter Other/general 46 10.12.2010 12:00
Ski? Know your rocker from your camber? Want to write about it? Starskee Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 4 14.09.2010 18:17
Question about staying through lease after giving early move out notice jmignone Housing in general 4 15.10.2008 18:47
Is it too early to laugh about Maddie? hugh_abu General off-topic 27 02.11.2007 18:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0