Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.11.2006, 09:11
Princess Leia's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Princess Leia has no particular reputation at present
Rental Rights / Mieterverband - free membership till end of year(2007)

FYI: Membership in the Mieterverband (roughly translated as the Tenants Association) is free till the end of the year with a 2007 membership. The Mieterverband offers renters, throughout Switzerland, free legal counsel on renters issues, questions and disputes (and the dreaded apt hand-off inspection), plus also lobbies on the political front for renters concerns, something we all benefit from. One example of that would be that they are trying to combat the current trend of building-renovations that are turning reasonably priced apt buildings into luxury apt., and thus the building owners can hike up the rental price tremendously. I know a retired couple whose rent just went up from something like 2400 to 3200 per month, and most of the renovations made the apt less livable than before – they ended up having to leave Zurich because they couldn't find an equivalent priced apt. The Mieterverband has helped me a number of times and I can only recommend having a membership for a place to ask questions, get advice and get help if the need arises, or just support their work.

www.mieterverband.ch
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.11.2006, 10:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rental Rights / Mieterverband - free membership till end of year

This seems a very worthy organisation. Is this something you must join (with subscription ?), or is an agency funded in another way ? Its not clear to me.
dave


Quote:
FYI: Membership in the Mieterverband (roughly translated as the Tenants Association) is free till the end of the year with a 2007 membership. The Mieterverband offers renters, throughout Switzerland, free legal counsel on renters issues, questions and disputes (and the dreaded apt hand-off inspection), plus also lobbies on the political front for renters concerns, something we all benefit from. One example of that would be that they are trying to combat the current trend of building-renovations that are turning reasonably priced apt buildings into luxury apt., and thus the building owners can hike up the rental price tremendously. I know a retired couple whose rent just went up from something like 2400 to 3200 per month, and most of the renovations made the apt less livable than before – they ended up having to leave Zurich because they couldn't find an equivalent priced apt. The Mieterverband has helped me a number of times and I can only recommend having a membership for a place to ask questions, get advice and get help if the need arises, or just support their work.

www.mieterverband.ch
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04.11.2006, 14:07
HAT's Avatar
HAT HAT is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich near Zug
Posts: 1,249
Groaned at 82 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 703 Times in 373 Posts
HAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeable
Re: Rental Rights / Mieterverband - free membership till end of year

Quote:
This seems a very worthy organisation. Is this something you must join (with subscription ?), or is an agency funded in another way ? Its not clear to me.
dave
BTW, I think they have a cooling off period of 1 month, before you can make a complaint or ask for help.
So in effect you have only december to complain, and it is holiday time by then.


HAT

PS: I once joined but later quit. Forgot why.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.11.2006, 14:44
Princess Leia's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Princess Leia has no particular reputation at present
Re: Rental Rights / Mieterverband - free membership till end of year

Quote:
BTW, I think they have a cooling off period of 1 month, before you can make a complaint or ask for help.
So in effect you have only december to complain, and it is holiday time by then.
I don't think that is the case. They offer legal advice to non-members, for a fee, and then it is up to you to decide to either pay the non-member fee or join on the spot (which usually ended up being less costly plus you get all the membership benefits).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.11.2006, 14:55
Princess Leia's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Princess Leia has no particular reputation at present
Re: Rental Rights / Mieterverband - free membership till end of year

Quote:
This seems a very worthy organisation. Is this something you must join (with subscription ?), or is an agency funded in another way ? Its not clear to me.
dave
I'll try to answer your questions. What I know is that they are non-profit, a membership costs about 85 CHF / year and that they also get donations. I am not sure if they get any money from anywhere else.

I know Ihave had to use them several times when I was being taken advantage of by a the mang. office. They let me know my rights and helped me write a eloquent, convincing letter to the mang. agency in legalese German. I also plan to have them with me when I move out of my apt for the dreaded 'inspection'.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14.05.2008, 20:42
alsbergt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 203
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 51 Times in 31 Posts
alsbergt has earned some respectalsbergt has earned some respect
Re: Rental Rights / Mieterverband - free membership till end of year

How well can the Mieterverband assist foreigners who do not speak the local language well? That is - will Mieterverband Zürich communicate only in German (which I'll get used to, but in times of trouble may still be difficult) or do they have English speakers?

Can they provide legal assistance too?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14.05.2008, 21:08
NatsBrit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne / Weybridge UK
Posts: 501
Groaned at 10 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 241 Times in 166 Posts
NatsBrit is considered knowledgeableNatsBrit is considered knowledgeableNatsBrit is considered knowledgeable
Re: Rental Rights / Mieterverband - free membership till end of year

Asloca, the French speaking equivalent certainly do have limited English speakers on their staff. U usually end up waiting a little longer to see them as they are obviously in high demand.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NatsBrit for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rental Contract Question - Three Months Notice For End of One Year? GasStationShopper Housing in general 7 03.09.2011 22:05
2007/8 Premiership season on TV - rights? adrian76 TV/internet/telephone 18 14.07.2007 10:18
Non-EU B - end of employment rights? grey_md Permits/visas/government 12 27.05.2007 12:41
From Florida, working here till end of Summer farlos Introductions 0 29.03.2007 14:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0