Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.11.2014, 07:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 59
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Nukles85 has no particular reputation at present
Notice period for apartment [Kundigungsfrist]: moving out before the 3 months notice

Hi all,

I was wondering, there exist the Kundigungsfrist for apartments, in which the owner should tell you 3 months in advance at least that he wants you to leave. If I however find a new home already before these 3 months, can I move in that apartment already? Or should I wait the 3 months?

I find it hard to believe that I have to wait 3 months, as finding an apartment is not like buying milk at the supermarket... you don t get one when you like.

Last edited by Nukles85; 07.11.2014 at 08:48.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.11.2014, 08:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,220
Groaned at 292 Times in 221 Posts
Thanked 18,811 Times in 6,563 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: kundigungsfrist

You are right.
The notification period in the rental contract is actually a practical joke for foreigners.
A typical example of Swiss humor.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 07.11.2014, 08:33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 59
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Nukles85 has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
You are right.
The notification period in the rental contract is actually a practical joke for foreigners.
A typical example of Swiss humor.
I don't agree with you as an example of "Swiss humor", as this rule is also present in other Countries and protects the interests of both the owner and the tenant and is a fair rule. But since the owner and the tenant are obviously on two different levels, usually the rule is more protective towards the tenant: she is the one at risk of not having a place to stay. I asked if it's the same here.

I don't know if you intended to be ironical as "practical joke for foreigners", as I didn't want to be disrespectful of the rules or the Swiss at all. I asked a question.

Quote:
You can move whenever you like, but contractually you are obliged to pay rent on your current apartment until the end of the notice period (Kundigungsfrist). However, if your landlord is keen to take possession, s/he may be happy to shorten the Kundigungsfrist. Just ask!

Is the "new" apartment available immediately? Usually you'd have to wait for its tenants to move out.
Thank you for your answer!

Actually mine is quite a peculiar situation: I was on a "sub-rental" agreement (Untermietvertrag) with the Hauptmiter (the "main tenant"). I used to pay him an amount and he used to pay the owner; the difference was intended for use of his (maint tentant's) furniture. Of course the owner knew about it.

Then the main tenant decided to step down from the sub-rental agreement, he noticed me at the beginning of October, and asked for a meeting with me and the owner that occurred some 20 days later, still within the month, in order to make me sign the new rental agreement with the owner. At the meeting the owner asked me for my personal data when the main tenant was not yet there. I gave my data, and then he asked me "When do you want to start? 1st of November?", and I said "OK".

Then the main tenant arrived and said that the contract with me and the owner was a question between me and him, and he didn't want to get involved. At the same time, I agreed with him to pay an amount for his furniture and that I would transfer the amount asap, which I did. He didn't object.

Now the former main tenant realized that the start of my new rental contract is 1st of November, and he is complaining that I didn't respect the Termination Notice period. I find it totally balooney, as he was here when I signed the contract and explicitly said he didn't want to get involved in that, and never explicitly mentioned when the new contract was starting.

Moreover, I don't see why I should pay an increased amount to the main tenant for his furniture if I have already bought it...

So that was the sense of my question. I am kind of the "new tenant" of the home I was living in, just with another agreement.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 07.11.2014 at 08:51. Reason: merging successive posts
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.11.2014, 13:35
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,333
Groaned at 128 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,761 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period for apartment [Kundigungsfrist]: moving out before the 3 months not

Quote:
Actually mine is quite a peculiar situation: I was on a "sub-rental" agreement (Untermietvertrag) with the Hauptmiter (the "main tenant"). I used to pay him an amount and he used to pay the owner; the difference was intended for use of his (maint tentant's) furniture. Of course the owner knew about it.

Then the main tenant decided to step down from the sub-rental agreement, he noticed me at the beginning of October, and asked for a meeting with me and the owner that occurred some 20 days later, still within the month, in order to make me sign the new rental agreement with the owner. At the meeting the owner asked me for my personal data when the main tenant was not yet there. I gave my data, and then he asked me "When do you want to start? 1st of November?", and I said "OK".

Then the main tenant arrived and said that the contract with me and the owner was a question between me and him, and he didn't want to get involved. At the same time, I agreed with him to pay an amount for his furniture and that I would transfer the amount asap, which I did. He didn't object.

Now the former main tenant realized that the start of my new rental contract is 1st of November, and he is complaining that I didn't respect the Termination Notice period. I find it totally balooney, as he was here when I signed the contract and explicitly said he didn't want to get involved in that, and never explicitly mentioned when the new contract was starting.
That's not the landlord's/agency's/owner problem, but yours. You have an dispute with the tenant and there was a misunderstanding between you two, so you need to find agreement with him.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09.11.2014, 21:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
nikolamark has no particular reputation at present
Re: Notice period for apartment [Kundigungsfrist]: moving out before the 3 months not

As far as I know, the sub-renting contract between you and the previous tenant is linked to the contract between him and the owner. And I would say, as soon as the "main" contract is canceled, the sub-renting one is not valid any more.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10.11.2014, 13:24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
mishi has become a little unpopularmishi has become a little unpopular
Re: Notice period for apartment [Kundigungsfrist]: moving out before the 3 months not

Some contracts have the clause that you can provide a replacement if you want to move before completing 3 months. But finding someone and then the company agrees to them is somewhat difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10.11.2014, 13:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,741
Groaned at 438 Times in 330 Posts
Thanked 11,475 Times in 6,017 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Notice period for apartment [Kundigungsfrist]: moving out before the 3 months not

A termination notice by the landlord (the main tenant in your case) must be sent(link in german) by registered mail (eingeschrieben) and on the official form. You are free to accept a spoken notice, but without anything in writing it's difficult to prove stuff.

A sublease for single rooms has a 2-week notice period, for an apartment it's 3 months. If you were renting the full apartment your erliest possible termination date would have been 31Jan, assuming you had a standard contract (and subject to additional restrictions mentioned in your lease contract), and further assuming you accept the termination in its present form - see legal requirements above. If the main contract would have run out before yours the main tenant would have been breaching his contractual duties towards you. Thus it's important for you to know when the main lease would have run out - contact the landlord if you don't know.

With a standard lease contract that's been given notice but is still running, if the tenant presents a successor who is willing to take over, the tenant can demand to be let out of the contract early. Since the main tenant arranged/asked for the meeting of the three of you it's an obvious assumption that he wanted exactly that. And the landlord appears to have assumed same, or else he wouldn't have asked when you want your contract to start.

If, on the other hand, the main tenant had intended to simply let the contract run out the tenants' presence at the meeting, let alone the meeting itself, would have been unecessary. And saying the start date was a matter between you and the landlord would have been ridiculous as the only reasonable start date in such a case would be immediately after the main contract has run out.

So the conclusion that the main tenant wanted out early is quite natural.

The way you present it the case seems quite clear. You may want to talk to the landlord first thing to see if he agrees with you, and if he would confirm your position if necessary. Then maybe see if you can arrive at some agreement with the main tenant - after all, it seems you were having an ok relationship.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.11.2014, 08:25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: kundigungsfrist

You can move whenever you like, but contractually you are obliged to pay rent on your current apartment until the end of the notice period (Kundigungsfrist). However, if your landlord is keen to take possession, s/he may be happy to shorten the Kundigungsfrist. Just ask!

Is the "new" apartment available immediately? Usually you'd have to wait for its tenants to move out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.11.2014, 09:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Notice period for apartment [Kundigungsfrist]: moving out before the 3 months not

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering, there exist the Kundigungsfrist for apartments, in which the owner should tell you 3 months in advance at least that he wants you to leave. If I however find a new home already before these 3 months, can I move in that apartment already? Or should I wait the 3 months?

I find it hard to believe that I have to wait 3 months, as finding an apartment is not like buying milk at the supermarket... you don t get one when you like.

It's exactly the same for us poor owners when you tennants want move out with no notice.

How would you like it if i as a landlord told you to clear off with 1 month notice as i'd found some beter paying tennant ?

The law works both ways.....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11.03.2015, 22:44
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
worldofsuman has no particular reputation at present
Leaving Apartment

Hi,

I would like to leave my apartment before 3 months of notice period. My agency said I have to arrange the next tenant. I have already forwarded 3/4 applications but they were rejected by agency and in one case applicant didn't sign the contract. So, in this situation what is my responsibility ? and if I don't find any replacement then do I have to pay till the end of notice period ?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11.03.2015, 22:52
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Leaving Apartment

I'm afraid that is the case- until someone suitable comes along and signs. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 12.03.2015, 00:01
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Apartment

You have to find one tenant that is willing to pay the rent, and has no major recorded debt. If the applicant cannot supply a clean debt certificate or refuses to sign the contract, then yes, you have to pay.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 12.03.2015, 11:40
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Notice period for apartment [Kundigungsfrist]: moving out before the 3 months not

I disagree with the posters above. I understand that if you find a suitable applicant who satisfies the usual criteria and present that person (ready and willing to sign a contract) to the landlord, you are off the hook, whether the landlord accepts the applicant or not. If I understand you correctly, you have put forward three or four applications, only one of which was withdrawn by the applicant. The landlord can't keep arbitrarily refusing all applicants that you present.


As always, the Schweizer Mieterverband (SMV)/ASLOCA should be your next port of call.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 12.03.2015, 15:22
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Notice period for apartment [Kundigungsfrist]: moving out before the 3 months not

Quote:
I disagree with the posters above. I understand that if you find a suitable applicant who satisfies the usual criteria and present that person (ready and willing to sign a contract) to the landlord, you are off the hook, whether the landlord accepts the applicant or not. If I understand you correctly, you have put forward three or four applications, only one of which was withdrawn by the applicant. The landlord can't keep arbitrarily refusing all applicants that you present.


As always, the Schweizer Mieterverband (SMV)/ASLOCA should be your next port of call.
Precisely. If the landlord refuses a suitable tenant who is willing to take over the currrent rental contract without any alterations, the landlord has to let you off the hook.

For the next tenant you present, get proof from that tenant that he would sign your contract and demand a written reason why the landlord refused him. With that, go to Asloca/renter's association as well as the arbitration office. Then (only after discussing this with the arbitration office) I would pay rent for the months after the "new" tenant's contract would have started into a blocked account (Sperrkonto).

Or skip all the fuss with looking for future tenants and go straight to Asloca/Renter's assoc. and the arbitration office with proof of what happened until now.

And only deal with your landlord in writing from now on as that is easier to present as proof than the content of phone calls.

Quote:
View Post
You have to find one tenant that is willing to pay the rent, and has no major recorded debt. If the applicant cannot supply a clean debt certificate or refuses to sign the contract, then yes, you have to pay.
Yes, but it doesn't matter if he has debt or not, as long as he is able to pay the rent.
If the landlord refuses to sign a contract with a suitable tenant, one is off the hook.
If the prospective tenant refuses to sign a contract with the landlord for whatever reason (even after assuring the current tenant that he would sign), one is not off the hook.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Notice period during probationary period AM1978 Employment 4 22.01.2013 21:42
What is the notice period for an au pair? Powerlauer Employment 87 09.11.2011 19:49
Leaving apartment - notice period? icgrp Housing in general 5 21.04.2010 15:19
Handing your notice in after the notice period Guest Employment 13 08.03.2010 16:27
Work for another company during notice period Guest Employment 5 06.07.2009 11:35


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0