Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 27.11.2014, 13:30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 78
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
vanjaar has become a little unpopular
Old garden tiles disposal

I want to dispose some of the old garden pavers which I have replaced with new ones.

Does soemone has an idea where to dispose or bring to Recycling the same around Zurich area?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27.11.2014, 15:02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 377
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 152 Times in 96 Posts
nanners has made some interesting contributions
Re: Old garden tiles disposal

Stadt Zurich has a number of ways. Here is the link to "encoring" locations to bring it to. Most gemeinde's have their own recycling centers as well.


https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/ted/de/...ml#contenttabs
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank nanners for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 27.11.2014, 15:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Old garden tiles disposal

There is also a website for used building materials where you can offer to give it away for free, provided they pick it up. Unfortunately, I forgot the site, and would have to ask a friend for it. Would you like me to?

How many square meters do you have, and are they in reusable condition?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 28.11.2014, 10:48
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 78
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
vanjaar has become a little unpopular
Re: Old garden tiles disposal

Please share the website.

They are of multiple sizes and some of them are in reusable conditions.

Quote:
View Post
There is also a website for used building materials where you can offer to give it away for free, provided they pick it up. Unfortunately, I forgot the site, and would have to ask a friend for it. Would you like me to?

How many square meters do you have, and are they in reusable condition?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28.11.2014, 11:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,383
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 7,672 Times in 3,588 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Old garden tiles disposal

Quote:
View Post
Please share the website.

They are of multiple sizes and some of them are in reusable conditions.
You could try and post an ad on the local websites and offer them for free. Ricardo has a minimum price of 5 rappen.

I was able to "rehome" about 70 garden stones this way. Some of mine were a strange size and still there was a market for them. I still have more and am in the process of clearing them out.

As long as something is reusable I try not to dump it. There are organizations like a Tierheim, for example, who can make use of stones for paths.

I think the key is the access to collect them. If someone cannot park nearby, or if there are a lot stairs to deal with, these can hurt your chances of finding someone to take them off your hands.

I did not clean my stones with a power washer as several gardeners and builders have told me this makes them more porous and will collect dirt faster.

So my advice is take photos, decribe what you have in detail, and make sure to mention the access. I had one person ask me about the weight of one so he could estimate how many he could transport in his van. So don't be surprised if someone asks you that.
__________________

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 28.11.2014, 11:25
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Old garden tiles disposal

Quote:
View Post
You could try and post an ad on the local websites and offer them for free. Ricardo has a minimum price of 5 rappen.

I was able to "rehome" about 70 garden stones this way. Some of mine were a strange size and still there was a market for them. I still have more and am in the process of clearing them out.

As long as something is reusable I try not to dump it. There are organizations like a Tierheim, for example, who can make use of stones for paths.

I think the key is the access to collect them. If someone cannot park nearby, or if there are a lot stairs to deal with, these can hurt your chances of finding someone to take them off your hands.

I did not clean my stones with a power washer as several gardeners and builders have told me this makes them more porous and will collect dirt faster.

So my advice is take photos, decribe what you have in detail, and make sure to mention the access. I had one person ask me about the weight of one so he could estimate how many he could transport in his van. So don't be surprised if someone asks you that.
The desirability depends very much on what's being offered.

If you're offering some granite, slate or limestone with a nice patina or colouring, I can imagine that people will be falling over one another to take them off your hands. But if its some trashy mass-produced 1970s pressed concrete I can't see the same level of interest somehow.

Unless, that is, somebody has exactly the same ones, they are no longer in production, and somebody is seeking some to replace ugly or cracked ones.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 28.11.2014, 12:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,383
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 7,672 Times in 3,588 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Old garden tiles disposal

Quote:
View Post
The desirability depends very much on what's being offered.

If you're offering some granite, slate or limestone with a nice patina or colouring, I can imagine that people will be falling over one another to take them off your hands. But if its some trashy mass-produced 1970s pressed concrete I can't see the same level of interest somehow.

Unless, that is, somebody has exactly the same ones, they are no longer in production, and somebody is seeking some to replace ugly or cracked ones.
I disagree. Mine were just concrete, and cetainly not in perfect condition. Concrete stones are still sold today and are far less costly than granite. Mine were going to be used for a parking area.

Based on my experience I think there is still a high demand for concrete stones. Perhaps not for a patio area. Most of the stones offered for sale on websites are sold. If you offer them for free and the access is good I think they will go. I sold the first lot.

Your post reminds me of the gardener who told me that I had no chance of getting rid of my patio stones or the "bollensteine"- the big rocks which were very popular years ago which I had tons of. Regarding the latter, I have managed to rehome at least 8000 kg of the Bollensteine. It has taken months and I have met some of the nicest people in the process. What is even more interesting is that I offered them for free and still people insisted on paying me. So not only did I avoid having to pay the gardener to take them away and dispose of them, I managed to get something for them.

I am not quite done but I will get there.
__________________

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 28.11.2014, 14:45
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Old garden tiles disposal

Quote:
View Post
Please share the website.

They are of multiple sizes and some of them are in reusable conditions.
ok: TUTTI.CH

I believe you can also post the same ad on Ricardo.ch and ebay.ch stating it is free so long as they pick it up by a certain time.

Perhaps post some pictures here as well. I just recently bought some new ones, but would have considered reusing if it were in good condition.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28.11.2014, 15:41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Baden area
Posts: 337
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 353 Times in 165 Posts
chrisIDS has an excellent reputationchrisIDS has an excellent reputationchrisIDS has an excellent reputationchrisIDS has an excellent reputation
Re: Old garden tiles disposal

Quote:
View Post
I did not clean my stones with a power washer as several gardeners and builders have told me this makes them more porous and will collect dirt faster.
Wow, well that's the first time I've heard concern expressed at that!

I'm aware that concrete does suffer mechanical damage with pressure washers - but this is with pressures way in excess of 80 bar, high water volumes, the use of additives and frequent cleaning. Cleaning once/twice per year with one of those "yellow things" probably has no visible long-term effect, so long as you use it correctly (at an angle, not blasting into the joints, cracks, etc) and the concrete is in good condition.

For boulders, we got rid of some of those via a friend with a Landy, who wanted some. The rest we put out with the Official Stone Collection (twice per year). Naturally, the guidelines (sorry, rules..) specify that it is for small amounts, possibly relating to the few small pebbles you've acquired from the garden, or a small cup of sand, whatever. However, I put out about 18 large buckets on the day (some borrowed from the neighbours), each full of stones and boulders; and they took the lot
__________________
- Thanks
Chris
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank chrisIDS for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 06.12.2014, 19:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,383
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 7,672 Times in 3,588 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Old garden tiles disposal

As for pressure washing, at our previous house I noted that my neighbours who pressure washed their stones became full of dirt whereas ours didn't. I simply used the hose and a very coarse brush on a long handle. But these were interlocking stones, not concrete slabs. Perhaps there is a difference.

We do not have any collection of stones or the like where we live. I have to take it all to the various recycling centres and pay.

So I am happy to advertise these items as free and hope someone can use them.

The last of the huge rocks were picked up last week. I gave away almost 12000 kgs of those. The gardener told me I would never re-home them. Never say never.

Right now I have a waiting list of people for my garden stones. I advertised them as used, and not cleaned.

I know some people try to sell used concrete slabs but as I expect people to remove them from the garden I cannot really ask them to pay.
__________________

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 06.12.2014, 19:25
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 236
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 178 Times in 95 Posts
greencelery has earned some respectgreencelery has earned some respect
We gave ours away for free on www.olx.ch - we also posted them on English Forum and got quite a lot of interest initially, but unfortunately reserved them for someone who never collected. Quite a lot of people need stuff like this, even not in great condition, and it's very expensive new.

I pressure washed our stones and I have noticed that the ones I washed are cracking more around the edges than the ones I didn't. I wouldn't pressure wash them again (or do it at a low pressure).

The bloke who picked ours up said he was building a garden hut and needed a solid base to set it on- so it didn't matter what the slabs looked like.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 06.12.2014 at 19:40. Reason: merging successive posts
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greencelery for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 07.12.2014, 00:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,383
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 7,672 Times in 3,588 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Old garden tiles disposal

Quote:
View Post
We gave ours away for free on www.olx.ch - we also posted them on English Forum and got quite a lot of interest initially, but unfortunately reserved them for someone who never collected. Quite a lot of people need stuff like this, even not in great condition, and it's very expensive new.

I pressure washed our stones and I have noticed that the ones I washed are cracking more around the edges than the ones I didn't. I wouldn't pressure wash them again (or do it at a low pressure).

The bloke who picked ours up said he was building a garden hut and needed a solid base to set it on- so it didn't matter what the slabs looked like.
No shows is an ongoing problem on this forum. That is why I have not posted them here.

Glad you were able to find a home for your stones. Not everyone needs 1st quality stones. It depends on where they will be used.

I think it is always better to give them away than to have to dispose of them which is not free plus you have to find someone to take them away if you do not have the means to do so yourself.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07.12.2014, 00:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lugano
Posts: 6,383
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 7,672 Times in 3,588 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Old garden tiles disposal

Quote:
View Post
ok: TUTTI.CH

I believe you can also post the same ad on Ricardo.ch and ebay.ch stating it is free so long as they pick it up by a certain time.

Perhaps post some pictures here as well. I just recently bought some new ones, but would have considered reusing if it were in good condition.
Ricardo requires a minimum price of 5 rappen. On OLX, (formerly Ricardolino) which is run by Ricardo, you can give things away, as well as on Tutti.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disposal of my old car - Complex michalis83 Transportation/driving 5 25.07.2015 20:56
Basel: Garden rubbish disposal SwissMorgs Housing in general 2 23.08.2013 11:58
Old TV disposal / removal / recycling SteveKamm TV/internet/telephone 13 11.09.2012 14:51
Autumn time garden clean ups, leaf removal and disposal!!! Anton Willi Commercial 0 11.11.2011 19:53


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0