Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 27.01.2015, 11:58
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,690
Groaned at 282 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
That's probably part of your problem. What you find cute is neither here nor there.

Perhaps you need to be a bit more objective in your approach?

(Considering the vagueness of this thread, that's good advice).
Objectively she needs to call John



The following 2 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #82  
Old 27.01.2015, 12:20
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,763
Groaned at 226 Times in 190 Posts
Thanked 22,425 Times in 9,525 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, I thought I had read them all.

I Just had another look and I can't see the same message.

All I found was one by you who thought it was a good idea to pay a friend to do some sort of voodoo on your house to remove 'bad vibes'.

And your original post suggested you were serious about selling your house?

So what are you? Serious or not serious?

Additionally, you asked for help but wouldn't put any photos up or even a link to the estate agents website?
What is so wrong with the place that you can't do that? If you're afraid we'll criticise then that's probably what you need if you're having such a problem selling.

It's not as if we haven't seen avocado-coloured bathroom suites before.
Just imagine if a potential buyer were to stumble over this thread. It could be counter-productive.
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #83  
Old 27.01.2015, 12:22
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,004
Groaned at 46 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,075 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

If there is a disconnect between reality and the price of your house, then you are going to get a long line of people coming to see the property who are then not going to take it further, or take it further but then have second thoughts.

And then, you are just going to have this perception that everyone who comes to view your property is a time waster, which is what seems to be happening.

Simple answer: if you want to sell it soon, you need to make it appear to be more of a bargain for the buyer. How you do that is of course up to you!
__________________
krlock3.
The following 2 users would like to thank krlock3 for this useful post:
  #84  
Old 27.01.2015, 12:25
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,690
Groaned at 282 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
Just imagine if a potential buyer were to stumble over this thread. It could be counter-productive.
That is hardly Tom's (or anyone, apart from the OP) fault.

The OP chose the "I have been wronged - whinge, moan, whinge" approach instead of seeking assistance.

"Our (non-emotional description) house has been on the market for x months, originally at xxxx and now reduced by 200k to yyyy - which is inline with similar properties in the area.

Our agent hasn't beem too much help in assisting with ways to market the property. What are other forum members experiences of selling property in Switzerland? How did you improve your property's marketability?

Link to the property"
The following 6 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #85  
Old 27.01.2015, 14:34
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

I am NOT here to sell the property.
I am here to ask about life experiences of those who have gone through the process themselves and learned from it.
I thank those who have understood that fact and offered me support via PMs.
  #86  
Old 27.01.2015, 15:43
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 14,863
Groaned at 467 Times in 373 Posts
Thanked 20,984 Times in 8,652 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
I am NOT here to sell the property.
I am here to ask about life experiences of those who have gone through the process themselves and learned from it.
I thank those who have understood that fact and offered me support via PMs.
Your opening paragraph stated:

Stress - have you been through the process of selling a house in Switzerland and do you have tips to cope with the stress?


I would have through the number one tip to get rid of the stress would be to sell the bl**dy house?

But if it's just stress reduction - a bottle of red wine would probably do the trick or yoga if that's your thing.

Glad you got the support you need by PM. Threads do go off course here. I think you have to pay for a thread here and put it in commercial if you want sole rights to it.

I don't think anyone's been at all unhelpful BTW.
The following 3 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #87  
Old 27.01.2015, 16:50
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
View from the Alps is considered knowledgeableView from the Alps is considered knowledgeableView from the Alps is considered knowledgeable
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Property in Switzerland as a whole is currently at very close to peak historical affordability levels. Geneva even more so and there were some price readjustments in 2014 in the Geneva area. The CHF just got a lot more expensive deterring foreign buyers. The multinationals were already starting to cut back staff numbers and will now do so even more so. The UN receives it's donations in member countries currency - so will shortly be looking at 20-25% budget cuts.
Which means there is a significant price readjustment coming. The market has/is stagnating as sellers are currently hanging on or renting and there is still a belief that prices will not fall for the right property in the right area. Eventually people have to sell for whatever reason - then the price readjustments start in earnest. Probably in 6-18 months time.
The following 3 users would like to thank View from the Alps for this useful post:
  #88  
Old 27.01.2015, 23:58
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,004
Groaned at 46 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,075 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
Property in Switzerland as a whole is currently at very close to peak historical affordability levels. Geneva even more so and there were some price readjustments in 2014 in the Geneva area. The CHF just got a lot more expensive deterring foreign buyers. The multinationals were already starting to cut back staff numbers and will now do so even more so. The UN receives it's donations in member countries currency - so will shortly be looking at 20-25% budget cuts.
Which means there is a significant price readjustment coming. The market has/is stagnating as sellers are currently hanging on or renting and there is still a belief that prices will not fall for the right property in the right area. Eventually people have to sell for whatever reason - then the price readjustments start in earnest. Probably in 6-18 months time.
You might well be right. But I've been in Switzerland for twelve years and heard pretty much that exact statement annually since I arrived.
The following 2 users would like to thank krlock3 for this useful post:
  #89  
Old 28.01.2015, 00:35
Swissish's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Frequent Flier
Posts: 420
Groaned at 30 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 493 Times in 217 Posts
Swissish has earned some respectSwissish has earned some respect
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
This is not as bizzarre as it sounds. My parents had, well still have, some antique furniture items that are family heirlooms and that they would under no conditions consider parting with. One of them is an enormously long sideboard and whenever they looked at a house the first thing they checked was whether there was a wall long enough to put it against. They turned down many otherwise beautiful houses because of this.

The estate agencies were tragically unable to pre-filter houses on this criterium.
This is so true, we have a family heirloom in the way of a very tall antique armoire which doesn't fit into the standard Swiss height home. Everywhere we looked we measured the ceiling heights. We even told agents ahead of time that we needed a property with a higher ceiling but that didn't stop them from taking us to places unsuitable. All in all our beautiful armoire had to sit in storage until we could sort out new arrangements for it.
The following 3 users would like to thank Swissish for this useful post:
  #90  
Old 28.01.2015, 01:19
Swissish's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Frequent Flier
Posts: 420
Groaned at 30 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 493 Times in 217 Posts
Swissish has earned some respectSwissish has earned some respect
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Crack shack or mansion? What would you pick? Count yourselves lucky you don't have to contend with this potential marketing nightmare here in Switzerland when trying to sell.
The following 2 users would like to thank Swissish for this useful post:
  #91  
Old 28.01.2015, 07:25
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 14 Posts
View from the Alps is considered knowledgeableView from the Alps is considered knowledgeableView from the Alps is considered knowledgeable
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
You might well be right. But I've been in Switzerland for twelve years and heard pretty much that exact statement annually since I arrived.
You may have heard talk of property prices levelling off or falling over twelve years but the drivers I mentioned are all fairly recent. Banking agreements between countries have been the last two years or so. Added to that the banks are currently maintaining staff levels as they are building infrastructure to deal with the agreements and legislation. This is coming to an end and numbers will then be reduced.
Singapore as a commodity centre is also a fairly recent move.
Multinationals were mostly increasing staff until 2-3 years ago. Recent pharma industry moves are going to have an impact on Switzerland.
Russian sanctions only began 1 year or so ago.
The pressures on transparency of corporation tax is recent and not yet really having an impact but it is rapidly moving up companies agenda.
I can only really speak for the Geneva area but up until two years ago asking prices were non-negotiable. Then there was some movement but mainly around things like fees being partially or fully met by the seller. Last year prices began to fall - UBS stated a 4-5% fall in Geneva for the first half. I havent seen second half figures yet.


Sellers can hang on for a while and delay the full market reaction but sooner or later sell they must. It also just got 20-25% cheaper for anyone planning to leave/retire outside of Switzerland so realistically a 15% reduction in a house they are selling still shows a profit on this year. Never mind the low or no rent life they have had since they bought the house.
If i was thinking of selling in the next 3-5 years i would be selling now.
The following 3 users would like to thank View from the Alps for this useful post:
  #92  
Old 28.01.2015, 09:49
FunnyBone's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 804
Groaned at 40 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,174 Times in 516 Posts
FunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
Crack shack or mansion? What would you pick? Count yourselves lucky you don't have to contend with this potential marketing nightmare here in Switzerland when trying to sell.
I moved here from Vancouver, BC, and can attest to these shacks selling at super high, crazy prices! Those who have millions of dollars and are willing to pay for a mouldy pile of rotten wood are the tax evaders from a certain country or drug dealers. It has become so extreme, that the regular folk have it very tough.
  #93  
Old 28.01.2015, 10:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,386
Groaned at 163 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 4,696 Times in 1,809 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
Property in Switzerland as a whole is currently at very close to peak historical affordability levels. Geneva even more so and there were some price readjustments in 2014 in the Geneva area. The CHF just got a lot more expensive deterring foreign buyers. The multinationals were already starting to cut back staff numbers and will now do so even more so. The UN receives it's donations in member countries currency - so will shortly be looking at 20-25% budget cuts.
Which means there is a significant price readjustment coming. The market has/is stagnating as sellers are currently hanging on or renting and there is still a belief that prices will not fall for the right property in the right area. Eventually people have to sell for whatever reason - then the price readjustments start in earnest. Probably in 6-18 months time.
the UBS report for 2015 includes the recent activity so provides quite a balanced view.

http://www.ubs.com/ch/en/swissbank/p...te-market.html
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #94  
Old 28.01.2015, 10:21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 53
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 6 Posts
rocksteady has earned some respectrocksteady has earned some respect
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Thanks for sharing Mikers.

For me, one of the fundamental statistics in the report is:

"An average home in Switzerland currently costs 850,000 francs, or 70% more than the 2000 level of 500,000 francs. Over this 15-year period, average incomes increased less than 20%."
  #95  
Old 28.01.2015, 10:32
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,690
Groaned at 282 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for sharing Mikers.

For me, one of the fundamental statistics in the report is:

"An average home in Switzerland currently costs 850,000 francs, or 70% more than the 2000 level of 500,000 francs. Over this 15-year period, average incomes increased less than 20%."
"An average home in the UK currently costs £177,000 or 108% more than than the 2000 level of £85,000. Over this 15-year period average incomes increased by - well nothing (albeit 2002-2012).

Sources: House prices Wages
The following 5 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #96  
Old 28.01.2015, 10:52
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,004
Groaned at 46 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,075 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
You may have heard talk of property prices levelling off or falling over twelve years but the drivers I mentioned are all fairly recent. Banking agreements between countries have been the last two years or so. Added to that the banks are currently maintaining staff levels as they are building infrastructure to deal with the agreements and legislation. This is coming to an end and numbers will then be reduced.
Singapore as a commodity centre is also a fairly recent move.
Multinationals were mostly increasing staff until 2-3 years ago. Recent pharma industry moves are going to have an impact on Switzerland.
Russian sanctions only began 1 year or so ago.
The pressures on transparency of corporation tax is recent and not yet really having an impact but it is rapidly moving up companies agenda.
I can only really speak for the Geneva area but up until two years ago asking prices were non-negotiable. Then there was some movement but mainly around things like fees being partially or fully met by the seller. Last year prices began to fall - UBS stated a 4-5% fall in Geneva for the first half. I havent seen second half figures yet.


Sellers can hang on for a while and delay the full market reaction but sooner or later sell they must. It also just got 20-25% cheaper for anyone planning to leave/retire outside of Switzerland so realistically a 15% reduction in a house they are selling still shows a profit on this year. Never mind the low or no rent life they have had since they bought the house.
If i was thinking of selling in the next 3-5 years i would be selling now.
Once again, you may well be right. But as I said, i've heard it every year and there are always different drivers each time, which are somehow proposed as "this time it's really for real."

Personally I hope you are correct, as I am still waiting to get onto the property ladder!
  #97  
Old 28.01.2015, 10:55
krlock3's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,004
Groaned at 46 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,075 Posts
krlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond reputekrlock3 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
"An average home in the UK currently costs £177,000 or 108% more than than the 2000 level of £85,000. Over this 15-year period average incomes increased by - well nothing (albeit 2002-2012).

Sources: House prices Wages
Exactly!
  #98  
Old 28.01.2015, 11:00
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,169
Groaned at 171 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
Y It also just got 20-25% cheaper for anyone planning to leave/retire outside of Switzerland.
Maybe for a couple of days, but it's about 10% now unless retiring in a nearby Euro country. Pretty high food inflation in the Eurozone has taken care of a chunk of the 15% swing already.
This user would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #99  
Old 28.01.2015, 11:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 53
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 6 Posts
rocksteady has earned some respectrocksteady has earned some respect
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
"An average home in the UK currently costs £177,000 or 108% more than than the 2000 level of £85,000. Over this 15-year period average incomes increased by - well nothing (albeit 2002-2012).
Not sure what correlation you are trying to make comparing property price increases (2000-2015) vs wages (2002-2012) - particularly given the wage statistics will be affected by the global crisis in 08/09.

Also suggest looking at UK weekly wage growth (change the variables to 2000-2015). http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/wages
  #100  
Old 28.01.2015, 11:37
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,690
Groaned at 282 Times in 233 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Selling a cutie pie house but ...

Quote:
View Post
Not sure what correlation you are trying to make comparing property price increases (2000-2015) vs wages (2002-2012) - particularly given the wage statistics will be affected by the global crisis in 08/09.
You made the same bloody comment about Switzerland!

How about this one for you:
In 2000, assuming 20% deposit and 4% interest (fixed 10 years) it would cost 16k per year interest + 5k (1% repayment of equity) = 21k to finance the house
In 2015, assuming 20% deposit and 1% interest (fixed 10 years) it would cost 6.8k per year interest + 8.5k (1% repayment of equity) = 15.3k to finance the house.
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling a mortgage with a house Mikers Housing in general 21 27.07.2015 20:57
Pie Pie Pie Craving Bell Food and drink 27 20.09.2009 11:35
Pie & Cheese Ploughman's Lunch at the Pie Shop grumpygrapefruit Commercial events 25 25.08.2008 14:58


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0