Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.01.2015, 22:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 716
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 648 Times in 338 Posts
daffy99 has an excellent reputationdaffy99 has an excellent reputationdaffy99 has an excellent reputationdaffy99 has an excellent reputation
How to find property for purchasing?

What strategies are useful in finding property for purchasing?

Given my current rent, given current mortgage rates, and looking ahead long-term, the prospect of purchasing property has become more attractive. I am very familiar with the financials of mortgages, but I am not at all familiar with the strategies of *learning* of property up for sale in primary locations ("1a Lage").

I am aware of the following options:

a) http://www.comparis.ch/ (which aggregate homegate.ch and the like)
b) ask relatives, friends, acquaintances, colleagues

Are there any other promising options to find such property for purchase in Switzerland?

My target areas are the economic regions of ZH, ZG, LU (which also adds the canton of SZ for purchasing property).

For the record, I am aware of a colleague having put a house on the market at CHF 1.3m. A very nice house indeed. MINERGIE standard. Intriguing interior design and furniture. A bit of Umschwung. But, sorry, dear, location, location, location is what, in the end, does matter. (The property is located in canton AG, somewhere in the wilderness between Baden and Germany.)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.01.2015, 23:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,871
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,654 Times in 1,470 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to find property for purchasing?

Quote:
View Post
(The property is located in canton AG, somewhere in the wilderness between Baden and Germany.)
Good lord! It really isn't that bad, and the shopping in Germany is so much better....
Although I know that most Zurich people who come to AG get nosebleeds....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04.01.2015, 08:22
Horatio Gonzales's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Luzern
Posts: 536
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 167 Times in 104 Posts
Horatio Gonzales is considered knowledgeableHoratio Gonzales is considered knowledgeableHoratio Gonzales is considered knowledgeable
Have you checked the windows of high street estate agents?
There are 2 traditional agents near me, they seem like small operations & may not be caught in the Comparison trawl net.

Best of luck.

Comparis.ch trawl net.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 04.01.2015 at 12:07. Reason: merging successive posts
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.01.2015, 08:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 716
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 648 Times in 338 Posts
daffy99 has an excellent reputationdaffy99 has an excellent reputationdaffy99 has an excellent reputationdaffy99 has an excellent reputation
Re: How to find property for purchasing?

Quote:
View Post
Good lord! It really isn't that bad, and the shopping in Germany is so much better....
Although I know that most Zurich people who come to AG get nosebleeds....
Nothing specific against the canton itself, really!

It's just that I keep a good distance from any cars featuring an AG number plate (difficult, given that the border to canton AG is a mere 400m away )

Oh, and that specific property - it is really nice, administratively belongs to a good village, but totally fails on the "location, location, location" part, as the infrastructure (transport etc) is just not there.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.01.2015, 09:00
njusta83's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 348
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 257 Times in 142 Posts
njusta83 has earned the respect of manynjusta83 has earned the respect of manynjusta83 has earned the respect of many
Re: How to find property for purchasing?

Drive around the areas you would consider. If they are planning to build or have started already, there will be big bill boards up. These might not all already be online yet so you might get lucky.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.01.2015, 09:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ZH
Posts: 985
Groaned at 24 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 1,341 Times in 499 Posts
arrow has a reputation beyond reputearrow has a reputation beyond reputearrow has a reputation beyond reputearrow has a reputation beyond reputearrow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to find property for purchasing?

Some of the Estate Agents have properties, which have not been placed on the open market.

Contact Darko Ranogajec
http://www.core-immo.ch/en/


Great guy, very familiar with Expat wishes and speaks English.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04.01.2015, 09:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 5,322
Groaned at 58 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,608 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to find property for purchasing?

Quote:
View Post
What strategies are useful in finding property for purchasing?

Given my current rent, given current mortgage rates, and looking ahead long-term, the prospect of purchasing property has become more attractive. I am very familiar with the financials of mortgages, but I am not at all familiar with the strategies of *learning* of property up for sale in primary locations ("1a Lage").

I am aware of the following options:

a) http://www.comparis.ch/ (which aggregate homegate.ch and the like)
b) ask relatives, friends, acquaintances, colleagues

Are there any other promising options to find such property for purchase in Switzerland?

My target areas are the economic regions of ZH, ZG, LU (which also adds the canton of SZ for purchasing property).

For the record, I am aware of a colleague having put a house on the market at CHF 1.3m. A very nice house indeed. MINERGIE standard. Intriguing interior design and furniture. A bit of Umschwung. But, sorry, dear, location, location, location is what, in the end, does matter. (The property is located in canton AG, somewhere in the wilderness between Baden and Germany.)
Good luck with that one.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04.01.2015, 10:40
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,002
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 6,576 Times in 3,007 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to find property for purchasing?

1. Define locations suitable to you
2. Define budget
3. Go!

I've bought 3 places in the past 10 years and my search took 4 weeks maximum each time.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 04.01.2015, 11:04
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tessin
Posts: 6,136
Groaned at 122 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 7,236 Times in 3,409 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to find property for purchasing?

Quote:
View Post
Nothing specific against the canton itself, really!

It's just that I keep a good distance from any cars featuring an AG number plate (difficult, given that the border to canton AG is a mere 400m away )

Oh, and that specific property - it is really nice, administratively belongs to a good village, but totally fails on the "location, location, location" part, as the infrastructure (transport etc) is just not there.
Most of the Zurich drivers in AG tailgate and speed. One passed me recently only to get flashed by the speeding camera. Priceless.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Purchasing a property nicnac Housing in general 25 06.10.2014 14:20
Where to find rules and regs. for leased property rights JBZ86 Housing in general 5 24.04.2013 20:55
How easy is it to find a rental property that has outside access and will allow cats oohsparkles Other/general 7 09.10.2008 13:58
purchasing property - paying a deposit to the real estate agent cremebrulee Housing in general 9 21.09.2007 16:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0