Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.01.2015, 05:51
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MO (USA)
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thetank01 has no particular reputation at present
Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

Hello all, new to form. My wife and I are coming to Switzerland in March. Going on a 90 day Visa in hopes to stay longer. We are selling everything and heading that way. We are both in our 40's, no kids. We are looking for a place to stay in Lucerne while scouting out employment. I have talked to some Headhunters there, in country, that with my experience I could have a shot at a full time position. I understand Switzerland has a Iron Curtain for Americans but they do hire us.
I am a Bio-Medical Engineer(primarily work on Hospital Equipment). Would like to work in a Hospital but understand there are many MFG that hire as well. Any input on this would be helpful.
We have done a yrs worth of research and understand there are challenges as Expats. Having someone in country to clarify some of the misinformation would be helpful.
So, with all that, this is what I'm needing. I am looking for a place to stay when we land. Close to the railway.

Thanks,

James
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05.01.2015, 08:16
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,272
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,061 Times in 9,133 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

Okay, extremely bad planning to start with considering you say you've been researching for a year.

If you arrive here as a tourist, should you find a job the employer will need to prove they can't find a Swiss/EU national who can do it before they'd be able to hire you. It's time consuming and expensive so very likely that your tourist time will run out before any decision is made. Which means you'll have to return to the States.

https://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home/themen/arbeit/nicht-eu_efta-angehoerige/grundlagen_zur_arbeitsmarktzulassung.html

Should by some chance your job application be successful you're quite likely to be told to return to the US to apply for a Type D entry visa which you need to enter Switzerland legally long term. So again you will have to return to the States for some months while that's processed because you've gone about getting the job in the wrong way to start with. What you should be doing is applying from the States and if an employer's willing to apply for a permit for you, you then apply for the visa at the same time. If the permit is granted the Type D visa would be issued.

https://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home...ensablauf.html

If you're really as employable as those headhunters have made out, they should easily be able to find you a position before you move. Also they should have told you that most of the pharmaceutical companies are based up around Basel I believe so not near Lucerne.

Without speaking and writing fluent German no hospital is going to employ you, sorry. Something else the headhunters should have told you.

Americans have a tough time getting a bank account here due to the US's FATCA law so be prepared to have little choice of bank and no chance of an investment or mortgage account. You'll need to sign a W-9 to allow said bank to pass your account info on to the IRS and you may also need to provide proof of recent US tax filings. You'll also still have US tax filing obligations including reporting your new "foreign" bank accounts if the aggregate total comes to more than $10,000 at any time during the year. This needs to be reported on an FBAR form. Research your obligations here:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad

I strongly suggest you put the whole move idea on hold, come over for an extended holiday if you can to do further and much better research than you seem to have managed so far. You'll get a much better idea of job prospects, rental possibilities, etc. I also suggest you get hold of a copy of "Living and Working in Switzerland" by David Hampshire which is full of useful info for both before and after you move. You can order it from your local bookshop or via the Internet.

I really don't understand why Americans seem to think they can just turn up and be employed in another country. It doesn't happen for people wanting to live/work in the States so why do you think it would be different for you when you want to move to Europe?
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 05.01.2015, 13:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mies
Posts: 856
Groaned at 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 621 Times in 355 Posts
catandmouse is considered knowledgeablecatandmouse is considered knowledgeablecatandmouse is considered knowledgeable
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

Our HR department is terrified of hiring Americans because of the issues around tax and the amount of paperwork it would create for them. That's on top of the heartache of getting work permits for non-EU nationals.
You're going going to have to find an employer who really wants you and can demonstrate to the authorities that they can't find someone local to fill the job.
The US government has gone out of its way to discourage its nationals being employable.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank catandmouse for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 06.01.2015, 21:50
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MO (USA)
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thetank01 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?


MEDEA:

Thank you for responding and responding with some great insight. In my post,I wrote the fact that we understood that the process would take some time. Thisis why we are looking for a place for the 90 days. We are coming to scope outthe land and its possibilities. I have done allot of research and realize howhard it will be for a non-EU person to get a job. I’m not coming with blinderson.

I have read the links you shared. Great information. Thank you. Have orderedthe book you recommended. I’m had read all about the immigration fight and readall about there Government. How the country is split and it transportation howon time it is. How clean they are and fine $$ you for everything.

Are you an American? Can you share any good and positive information aboutworking and living in Country? I can read all over about how hard and analthere paperwork is. There must be a reason so many people fight through all thenegative.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06.01.2015, 22:41
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,272
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,061 Times in 9,133 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

Quote:
View Post
MEDEA:

Thank you for responding and responding with some great insight. In my post,I wrote the fact that we understood that the process would take some time. Thisis why we are looking for a place for the 90 days. We are coming to scope outthe land and its possibilities. I have done allot of research and realize howhard it will be for a non-EU person to get a job. I’m not coming with blinderson.

I have read the links you shared. Great information. Thank you. Have orderedthe book you recommended. I’m had read all about the immigration fight and readall about there Government. How the country is split and it transportation howon time it is. How clean they are and fine $$ you for everything.

Are you an American? Can you share any good and positive information aboutworking and living in Country? I can read all over about how hard and analthere paperwork is. There must be a reason so many people fight through all thenegative.
I was born in Oklahoma and spent my early years there, but I renounced my US citizenship in 2013 due to finding out about FATCA and how it would impact my life here. I hadn't lived in the States for over 40 years, but spent most of my life in Britain.

I haven't worked here so can't really give you an insight into that side of things. However I do think you're underestimating how long it can take for a non-EU person to be hired here. 3 months is likely to be the absolute bare minimum if you're extremely lucky, more likely it will take much longer than this.

Don't get me wrong, Switzerland is a good place to live if it suits you. But not everyone likes it as can be seen from this thread.

Eventually Escaped...But Even That Was Painful!

Have you even visited the country at all or is this a more "we've heard it's a great place and we want to move there" kind of thing? Because Switzerland has many more rules and regulations than you'd ever come across in the US so if you're thinking of moving because you feel constricted by the US's rules think again. Switzerland could drive you mad. Just as an example, we moved to a new house and wanted to put up a satellite dish to get English TV. Because we knew we had a better sightline than we'd had at the place we'd previously rented we opted for a 80cm dish rather than the 100cm one recommended for the reception area which we had fitted on our balcony. Some months later when I went down to the village admin office on another matter, the secretary asked me what size dish we had. When I told him it was only 80cm he said fine, okay. I got the impression that someone had told him it was a much bigger dish which would probably have needed some kind of permission to put up. So even something this simple could land you in problems with your new neighbours and the town admin people.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06.01.2015, 23:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MO (USA)
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thetank01 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

MEDEA:


Well, it was for sure not a quick thought. I have lived in Germany for a couple of yrs and my wife has been to Turkey a few times. She was heading to Uganda to live before I met her. As for me, I just LOVE the EU. Visited the Netherlands as often as I could. Swore I would return for good someday.

As for the rules there, I was involved in Politics for years and understand how paperloged they are. I have done allot of research on the Government there and have a good idea how it runs. The truth of the matter is, we want to live the rest of our lives in Switzerland.
As for the 90 days. We understand and have made arrangements for our possible return back to the states. No problem. This might take a year, but we have the time.

By the way, we live outside KC. Oklahoma is just a few hrs from us.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.01.2015, 06:32
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,327
Groaned at 169 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 6,699 Times in 2,236 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

Quote:
View Post
MEDEA:


Well, it was for sure not a quick thought. I have lived in Germany for a couple of yrs and my wife has been to Turkey a few times. She was heading to Uganda to live before I met her. As for me, I just LOVE the EU. Visited the Netherlands as often as I could. Swore I would return for good someday.
Emphasis mine. You perhaps ought to be aware that Switzerland is not a part of the EU.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 07.01.2015, 07:36
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,272
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,061 Times in 9,133 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

Quote:
View Post
MEDEA:


Well, it was for sure not a quick thought. I have lived in Germany for a couple of yrs and my wife has been to Turkey a few times. She was heading to Uganda to live before I met her. As for me, I just LOVE the EU. Visited the Netherlands as often as I could. Swore I would return for good someday.

As for the rules there, I was involved in Politics for years and understand how paperloged they are. I have done allot of research on the Government there and have a good idea how it runs. The truth of the matter is, we want to live the rest of our lives in Switzerland.
As for the 90 days. We understand and have made arrangements for our possible return back to the states. No problem. This might take a year, but we have the time.

By the way, we live outside KC. Oklahoma is just a few hrs from us.
Yes, I know. I looked Raymore up. Spent quite a few vacations in Missouri when I was a kid. Didn't get near Kansas City though.

You could try looking at these sites for accommodation:

http://www.wgzimmer.ch/en/wgzimmer/search/mate.html (mostly rooms or flat shares, rather than apartments/houses)
www.immoscout24.ch
www.immostreet.ch
www.homegate.ch
www.home.ch

Set parameters for furnished flats/houses and see what comes up. Or Google "short term rentals lucerne switzerland" for even more possbilities.

And, as Corbets says, Switzerland is not part of the EU. So don't bring Euros with you. You need Swiss Francs.

Last edited by Medea Fleecestealer; 07.01.2015 at 08:19.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.01.2015, 08:11
FuriousRose's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: nearby the lake
Posts: 931
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,003 Times in 471 Posts
FuriousRose has a reputation beyond reputeFuriousRose has a reputation beyond reputeFuriousRose has a reputation beyond reputeFuriousRose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

Quote:
View Post
... I have lived in Germany for a couple of yrs...
That explains some of the caps in the OP's posts
Anyway, good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07.01.2015, 20:41
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MO (USA)
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thetank01 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, I know. I looked Raymore up. Spent quite a few vacations in Missouri when I was a kid. Didn't get near Kansas City though.

You could try looking at these sites for accommodation:

http://www.wgzimmer.ch/en/wgzimmer/search/mate.html (mostly rooms or flat shares, rather than apartments/houses)
www.immoscout24.ch
www.immostreet.ch
www.homegate.ch
www.home.ch

Set parameters for furnished flats/houses and see what comes up. Or Google "short term rentals lucerne switzerland" for even more possbilities.

And, as Corbets says, Switzerland is not part of the EU. So don't bring Euros with you. You need Swiss Francs.


This information is great. Just what I was looking for. I just want to thank you for all the information you have provided. It really helps.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07.01.2015, 21:39
stephen_NE's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luzern
Posts: 1,297
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1,315 Times in 630 Posts
stephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

For temporary housing, this might be interesting (in German only):

http://abl.ch/genossenschaft/kommuni...-himmelrich-3/

Die allgemeine baugenossenschaft luzern (abl) erneuert ihre Siedlung Himmelrich 3. Bis zum Abriss der Bauten am Heimatweg und an der Tödistrasse in Luzern im Sommer 2015 vermietet sie deshalb per sofort 3-/4-Zimmer-Wohnungen zur Zwischennutzung.

— befristete Mietverträge verbindich bis 31.7.2015
— Kündigungsfrist für Mieter: 1 Monat
— Mieten inkl. NK zwischen CHF 850 und 1’200
— keine abl-Mitgliedschaft nötig, bescheidenes Mietzinsdepot wird verlangt
— WGs herzlich willkommen!


This is a housing association which will be demolishing and rebuilding a large housing estate in central Luzern in Summer/Autumn 2015. As people move out and apartments are left empty, they are being rented out short term until the buildings are demolished - I think they are targeting students, but it may be worth a try. You should contact them at this address:

allgemeine baugenossenschaft luzern (abl)
Claridenstrasse 1
6002 Luzern
Phone +41 41 227 29 29

info@abl.ch

It's a quiet, very pleasant part of town about 10 minutes' walk from the station and close to shops, bars and restaurants.

I only know about this because the buildings in question are right next to where I live, so I have seen information about it - I can't comment on the apartments themselves.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07.01.2015, 22:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MO (USA)
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thetank01 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

Quote:
View Post
For temporary housing, this might be interesting (in German only):

http://abl.ch/genossenschaft/kommuni...-himmelrich-3/

Die allgemeine baugenossenschaft luzern (abl) erneuert ihre Siedlung Himmelrich 3. Bis zum Abriss der Bauten am Heimatweg und an der Tödistrasse in Luzern im Sommer 2015 vermietet sie deshalb per sofort 3-/4-Zimmer-Wohnungen zur Zwischennutzung.

— befristete Mietverträge verbindich bis 31.7.2015
— Kündigungsfrist für Mieter: 1 Monat
— Mieten inkl. NK zwischen CHF 850 und 1’200
— keine abl-Mitgliedschaft nötig, bescheidenes Mietzinsdepot wird verlangt
— WGs herzlich willkommen!


This is a housing association which will be demolishing and rebuilding a large housing estate in central Luzern in Summer/Autumn 2015. As people move out and apartments are left empty, they are being rented out short term until the buildings are demolished - I think they are targeting students, but it may be worth a try. You should contact them at this address:

allgemeine baugenossenschaft luzern (abl)
Claridenstrasse 1
6002 Luzern
Phone +41 41 227 29 29

info@abl.ch

It's a quiet, very pleasant part of town about 10 minutes' walk from the station and close to shops, bars and restaurants.

I only know about this because the buildings in question are right next to where I live, so I have seen information about it - I can't comment on the apartments themselves.
This sounds PERFECT. Thank you. Now this is the help I'v been looking for. I will make the call tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07.01.2015, 22:26
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 10,453
Groaned at 76 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 17,086 Times in 7,726 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

OP, as a fellow American I appreciate your plucky, can-do attitude. Just keep doing your homework and go in with your eyes and wallet open (this is likely to be a pricey adventure).

There are members on this Forum that speak local languages (some speak more than 3 languages) and have more "favorable" passports... that still have not been able to find jobs. It's highly competitive so you'll need to be putting in many applications and stand out from the crowd. I think a little luck is involved too, sometimes.

Don't underestimate the importance of putting your finances in order. You will probably not be able to open a bank account here during your 90 days as a tourist. A few banks do open accounts for Americans, but it seems only for residents.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07.01.2015, 22:40
moggy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thurgau (& London, UK)
Posts: 1,623
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 889 Times in 581 Posts
moggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

Quote:
View Post
Don't underestimate the importance of putting your finances in order. You will probably not be able to open a bank account here during your 90 days as a tourist. A few banks do open accounts for Americans, but it seems only for residents.
I reiterate the point above by 3Wishes in bold.

Good luck in your future.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08.01.2015, 01:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MO (USA)
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thetank01 has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
Emphasis mine. You perhaps ought to be aware that Switzerland is not a part of the EU.
I am aware they are not part of the EU. I find it interesting how they stay separated but still play a active roll. Believe it or not, I like there stand on Immigration. Wish the States would take a hard line on it.

Quote:
View Post
OP, as a fellow American I appreciate your plucky, can-do attitude. Just keep doing your homework and go in with your eyes and wallet open (this is likely to be a pricey adventure).

There are members on this Forum that speak local languages (some speak more than 3 languages) and have more "favorable" passports... that still have not been able to find jobs. It's highly competitive so you'll need to be putting in many applications and stand out from the crowd. I think a little luck is involved too, sometimes.

Don't underestimate the importance of putting your finances in order. You will probably not be able to open a bank account here during your 90 days as a tourist. A few banks do open accounts for Americans, but it seems only for residents.

Good luck!
Thank you for responding and bringing some great incite. Much appreciated.
As for the finances, moving forward and making all the changes needed. With us being there for 90 days on this first go around. I will find a Bank there and just move slow. No rush.

As for the Job, I have had allot of FAVOR in my life. God has blessed me every step. I will just take it as it comes and deal with whatever comes my way. I live my life as a "Cup Half Full" kind of guy.

Now, in saying that. How do people pay for the day to day items? As you know, here in the States we mainly use our Credit/Debit cards.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 08.01.2015 at 13:12. Reason: merging successive posts
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08.01.2015, 08:06
TobiasM's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,263
Groaned at 184 Times in 132 Posts
Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,280 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

Quote:
View Post
I am aware they are not part of the EU. I find it interesting how they stay separated but still play a active roll. Believe it or not, I like there stand on Immigration. Wish the States would take a hard line on it.
Thankfully they don't take such a hard line, as we are all immigrants on this forum one way or another. The US on the other hand has a horrendous policy on immigration these days, seeing that it was immigration that made it the great country it used to be.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TobiasM for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 08.01.2015, 08:35
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 28,851
Groaned at 1,969 Times in 1,490 Posts
Thanked 34,224 Times in 16,285 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

Quote:
View Post
How do people pay for the day to day items?
Cash.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 08.01.2015, 09:01
FuriousRose's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: nearby the lake
Posts: 931
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 1,003 Times in 471 Posts
FuriousRose has a reputation beyond reputeFuriousRose has a reputation beyond reputeFuriousRose has a reputation beyond reputeFuriousRose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

OP, job hunting in Switzerland takes in average around 6 months. So, you'd see yourself in a more tight situation and a stiff competition.
As for temporary accommodation, you may as well want to check the adverts at Uni Luzern (there maybe a website for this on the Uni home page). When I was living temporarily in Geneva, I found a sublet through this way.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08.01.2015, 12:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,361
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 23,694 Times in 7,478 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

OP, what are you going to do on day 91 when you don't have a valid residency permit?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08.01.2015, 12:53
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,272
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,061 Times in 9,133 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to Lucerne in March. 90 day housing?

Quote:
View Post
OP, what are you going to do on day 91 when you don't have a valid residency permit?
Get told off by the airport border guard probably as they should have left the day before. Stays of up to 90 days, but both arrival and departure days count in the total. He did say they'd made plans to return to the States if they have to.

OP, usually cash or debit card. Credit cards are becoming more popular than they were, but the Swiss don't like to be in debt so tend to prefer the first two options unless it's for big purchases.

And yes, there's no way you'll be able to open an account here without being a resident. So you'll need at least 13,500 Swiss Francs to cover your stay here for 90 days. That's working to the basis of CHF150 a day for two of you. The usual rule is CHF100 per day per person, but you can probably get away with half that for the second person making CHF150. You'll also need to declare that at the border if you bring it with you in cash.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to search for housing listings (Lucerne) Easterly Housing in general 3 06.02.2013 13:17
Taking language classes to extend 90 day stay in CH... kkatuha Permits/visas/government 8 07.10.2011 15:56
returning to Switzerland after 90 day stay jennaasis Permits/visas/government 7 13.01.2010 08:12
Moving to Switzerland in March!!! Samb77 Introductions 0 16.01.2007 05:37


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0