Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.01.2015, 16:48
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andi05 has no particular reputation at present
Possible to rent in GVA but not live here?

Hi,

My mother used to work and live here in GVA. The lease of the flat is in her name. I lived with her. She moved back to the USA, and I continued to live in the flat.

The contract is coming to an end, and we would like to renew the lease, so I can continue living there. I would put the lease in my name, but my salary is not high enough.

My question is: can my mother continue to have the lease in her name, even though she doesn't work here in Geneva anymore?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05.01.2015, 17:15
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Horn/TG
Posts: 1,676
Groaned at 44 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 794 Times in 560 Posts
blackbird has no particular reputation at present
Re: Possible to rent in GVA but not live here?

What is the Purpose of renting a flat, when you don't have enough money(to rent the flat) ?
How much money do you earn ?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at blackbird for this post:
  #3  
Old 05.01.2015, 17:50
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andi05 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Possible to rent in GVA but not live here?

Quote:
View Post
What is the Purpose of renting a flat, when you don't have enough money(to rent the flat) ?
How much money do you earn ?
I am rather young, and I do earn enough to cover the rent on a monthly basis, but I do not think that the regie will accept my dossier, as I do not earn enough to cover the regie's golden rule of 3 x the rent amount = monthly salary.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05.01.2015, 17:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,047
Groaned at 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,843 Times in 1,723 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Possible to rent in GVA but not live here?

Is your mother swiss?
If not then she presumably no longer has any kind of permit and she won't be able to renew the lease in her name.

If you don't fulfill the criteria for the lease you probably won't be able to renew in your own name (unless the owner chooses to make an exception, how have you managed paying the rent so far?)....

I suppose you could try asking if they'll allow you to extend the lease after considering your circumstances;"you've been living there x years, no delay in paying the rent, caused no problems, etc.", or find possibly try maybe find someone to share the apartment with?
The owner/agency might accept that, but there's no guarantee... nor are they obliged to.

Just seen your last post; you could ask if the Regie would accept a higher than usual deposit in case of payment problems?

Last edited by Anjela; 05.01.2015 at 17:53. Reason: Adding last line.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05.01.2015, 17:59
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,294
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,078 Times in 9,140 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Possible to rent in GVA but not live here?

Quote:
View Post
Is your mother swiss?
If not then she presumably no longer has any kind of permit and she won't be able to renew the lease in her name.

If you don't fulfill the criteria for the lease you probably won't be able to renew in your own name (unless the owner chooses to make an exception, how have you managed paying the rent so far?)....

I suppose you could try asking if they'll allow you to extend the lease after considering your circumstances;"you've been living there x years, no delay in paying the rent, caused no problems, etc.", or find possibly try maybe find someone to share the apartment with?
The owner/agency might accept that, but there's no guarantee... nor are they obliged to.

Just seen your last post; you could ask if the Regie would accept a higher than usual deposit in case of payment problems?
You don't need a permit to rent a property, it's entirely down to the landlord/agency whether they will rent to you without one. Obviously it helps if you do have one as they're usually looking for long term tenants which a non-permit holder wouldn't be.

OP, you need to ask the agency. If your mother agrees to "guarantee" the rent maybe they will continue to rent it to you or her.

How long has she been gone? If it's some time then the agency may not be happy that they weren't informed of the change in circumstances.

May I also ask how you got your permit? Was it originally as a dependent of your mother? If so, have you converted it to an independent one? If not, then you could be living here illegally as dependents permits are only valid so long as the main permit holder is still living and working here.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05.01.2015, 19:43
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andi05 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Possible to rent in GVA but not live here?

Quote:
View Post
You don't need a permit to rent a property, it's entirely down to the landlord/agency whether they will rent to you without one. Obviously it helps if you do have one as they're usually looking for long term tenants which a non-permit holder wouldn't be.

OP, you need to ask the agency. If your mother agrees to "guarantee" the rent maybe they will continue to rent it to you or her.

How long has she been gone? If it's some time then the agency may not be happy that they weren't informed of the change in circumstances.

May I also ask how you got your permit? Was it originally as a dependent of your mother? If so, have you converted it to an independent one? If not, then you could be living here illegally as dependents permits are only valid so long as the main permit holder is still living and working here.

Thank you for your advice! I got my permit B here independently of my mother. It is strictly linked to my employment. I live and work here legally. My main goal is to maintain the lease, whether it be in my name or my mother's name. I just think there is more chance of keeping it in my mom's name as i dont thin the regie will accept my dossier, as my salary isn't 3x the rent amount.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05.01.2015, 20:42
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,294
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,078 Times in 9,140 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Possible to rent in GVA but not live here?

Have you actually checked the contract to see what it says about renewal? For example when we first moved here we rented initially for a year, but it was a rolling contract which renewed automatically unless either party gave 6 months' notice to terminate.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
bail, contract, lease, regie, rent




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
permit to work but not to live (in diff canton) avita Permits/visas/government 0 02.07.2012 14:23
Not new in Zurich, but new to here! feather Introductions 3 08.03.2011 17:02
not quite new, but finally here! horst-schweiz Introductions 3 11.12.2009 16:32
not here yet, but hello tapirul Introductions 4 10.06.2009 04:39
New here but not new to Bern Mairi Introductions 3 28.05.2008 15:44


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0