English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Housing in general (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/)
-   -   Giving up.. (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/227655-giving-up.html)

Cascabel 11.02.2015 14:55

Giving up..
 
Hi everyone,

After two years searching for a bigger appartment in the center of Luzern, nothing has changed. I have sent no less that fifty aplications, with the corresponding updated betreibungauszug and it's costs, all the documents required, recommendation letters from my office, the parent's of my daughter's swiss friends and still nothing..

I called this morning to the Luzernerpensionkasse in order to visit an appartment that appeared yesterday night and the lady, that already met me in other occasions while showing other appartments for which i applied but was rejected, advised me that it was already rented.. The add appeared around 18.00PM, i called at 08.40AM today.. and the flat is already gone..

I have to say that today i feel really, really bad.. I am a well educated person, with a PhD in Biochemistry, single mother of a 5 years old girl, i have a good salary, non smoker, i only drink socially, i enjoy reading, nerd computer games, cooking sometimes,.. and i am only seeking a bigger appartment in order to be able to have a proper life with my daughter, work, help her with her homework, invite from time to time her friends to spend the afternoon with us.. but i am always rejected.. I used to be strong but today, today i feel total and completely defeated..

The_Love_Doctor 11.02.2015 14:59

Re: Giving up..
 
Don't give up...

Soon is the big moving date of March + April. Keep looking. If you give up now the next available opportunity is September / October.

MidfieldGeneral 11.02.2015 15:01

Re: Giving up..
 
+1

Don't give up an hopefully you can find a new flat!

Good Luck!:)

Papa Goose 11.02.2015 15:15

Re: Giving up..
 
It sounds like it isn't personal (although hard not to feel like it is) and maybe in the pecking order a single parent isn't as attractive a tenant as dink's or sink's, so maybe you are already at a disadvantage. It probably isn't what you want to hear but if it's a landlords market, then the best option is to look slightly further a field, does it have to be central Luzern?.

Cascabel 11.02.2015 15:33

Re: Giving up..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa Goose (Post 2338978)
It sounds like it isn't personal (although hard not to feel like it is) and maybe in the pecking order a single parent isn't as attractive a tenant as dink's or sink's, so maybe you are already at a disadvantage. It probably isn't what you want to hear but if it's a landlords market, then the best option is to look slightly further a field, does it have to be central Luzern?.

I would not mind to change the neighborhood but then they will change my daughter's school and i cannot make her pass through more stressful changes..

And yes, at the very begining i tried not to take it personal.. They are running a business and they make the rules of their business.. But still..

Thank you for your comments and support..

JanaCZE 11.02.2015 15:34

Re: Giving up..
 
Dont give up. As mentioned earlier, March will be the moving time, so there shall be more property on the market.
When i needed to find a new flat some time ago, i was also getting very frustrated when every application i sent got rejected. Back then, with L permit only, it looked almost impossible to get something. But eventually i got a flat.
I hope you will be able to find a new nice flat for your and your daughter very soon.
Fingers crossed and good luck!

olygirl 11.02.2015 15:36

Re: Giving up..
 
Have you told people about your search? If not, let people, especially locals, know you're looking. Sometimes it helps to find something through connections.

amogles 11.02.2015 15:41

Re: Giving up..
 
One useful trick that i was taught by Swiss friends is to not be passive.

So when viewing the appartment, make sure you chat with the landlord so he remembers you and leave a positive impression. Then phone the following day and explain how you simply love that appartment and that its absolutely perfect for you. Even if they promise to call you back, ignore that and call them anyway. It's a bit like applying for a job or trying to get somewhere in the dating scene. Being passive is usually not the right strategy. How is the landlord going to tell from your application form that you're such a wonderful person and the perfect tenant? Be someone and be noticed.

I'd been looking for an appartment for months and was giving up hope when i got that advice. Guess what. I got the very next appartment I looked at.

Cascabel 11.02.2015 16:06

Re: Giving up..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 2339003)
One useful trick that i was taught by Swiss friends is to not be passive.

So when viewing the appartment, make sure you chat with the landlord so he remembers you and leave a positive impression. Then phone the following day and explain how you simply love that appartment and that its absolutely perfect for you. Even if they promise to call you back, ignore that and call them anyway. It's a bit like applying for a job or trying to get somewhere in the dating scene. Being passive is usually not the right strategy. How is the landlord going to tell from your application form that you're such a wonderful person and the perfect tenant? Be someone and be noticed.

I'd been looking for an appartment for months and was giving up hope when i got that advice. Guess what. I got the very next appartment I looked at.

Good afternoon,

Thank you very much for this advice. I always stay and try to speak either to the immobilien person's, either to the person living in the flat but still no luck.

All my entourage knows that i am searching for an appartment, all my daughter's parents, the teachers, the betreuung's carers as well, in my job they print me recommendation letters but i see that they have started to "pff.. it's her again.."

I will see how long i can stand this situation but i have started to think to go back to my country.. This might not have been the right choice to raise my daughter..

AlreadyPacked 11.02.2015 16:12

Re: Giving up..
 
I thought that they gave preferance to people with children.

miniMia 11.02.2015 16:17

Re: Giving up..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cascabel (Post 2338989)
I would not mind to change the neighborhood but then they will change my daughter's school and i cannot make her pass through more stressful changes..

And yes, at the very begining i tried not to take it personal.. They are running a business and they make the rules of their business.. But still..

Thank you for your comments and support..

I know how you feel. I've been looking for a flat, any flat! and I'm always amazed that the flat is gone or there are already 20 people who have applied one day after the ad is up. In my case I know it's because I've been looking at lower price ranges. I've had to up my price to get an apartment and I KNOW I'm paying too much for it. Sigh.

My only suggestion for you is for you to stress the fact that you have a child in the school district you are looking in. I lost an apartment just for that reason. It was out in a village, but still, the management company told me they choose the family with the child at the near by school so that the child could stay in school.

If you are not stressing that point already, start doing so.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Cascabel (Post 2339014)
Good afternoon,

Thank you very much for this advice. I always stay and try to speak either to the immobilien person's, either to the person living in the flat but still no luck.

All my entourage knows that i am searching for an appartment, all my daughter's parents, the teachers, the betreuung's carers as well, in my job they print me recommendation letters but i see that they have started to "pff.. it's her again.."

I will see how long i can stand this situation but i have started to think to go back to my country.. This might not have been the right choice to raise my daughter..

Recommendation letters? Really? Is that needed? Are you maybe giving them too much paper work?

Anyway, if you do need letters of recommendation ask them not to be dated or use the same ones. You don't need a new one for every application.

Macer 11.02.2015 16:27

Re: Giving up..
 
It probably is not an option, but I will say it anyway. have you considered trying to buy rather than rent? Just a thought...

Guest 11.02.2015 16:31

Re: Giving up..
 
That sounds a bit like my job search of 2012. I made countless applications, also got some interviews, but no offers! Hey, but in the end, you only need one job/apartment. So keep a positive attitude.

1. Introspect: Are you making some rookie mistakes? Get your application reviewed. Apply within 25-35% of your net salary bracket. Get all those solvency letters, get a co-applicant, if necessary. Smoker? Musician? Party lover? Don't lie about it, but also don't make it too obvious.

2. Network: somebody covered this point already.

3. Persist: follow up, call up, remind - just as you would pester your HR department to "approve" something. You are the guy/gal in need. Swallow your ego and say, please please.. until the person just does it even if it's to get rid of you.

3Wishes 11.02.2015 16:50

Re: Giving up..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cascabel (Post 2338959)
...two years searching for a bigger appartment in the center of Luzern...

In addition to what others have said above, is it possible you're searching for a flat that's too large? Sounds silly but if it's "only" you and your daughter and you're applying for a place with 3 bedrooms the landlords may feel it best to give to a larger family with more children. I have no idea what you've been looking for so I could be way off-base. It's just a thought. Good luck!:)

Cascabel 11.02.2015 18:12

Re: Giving up..
 
Thank you Makas.. This are very positive and persistent tips.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Wishes (Post 2339051)
In addition to what others have said above, is it possible you're searching for a flat that's too large? Sounds silly but if it's "only" you and your daughter and you're applying for a place with 3 bedrooms the landlords may feel it best to give to a larger family with more children. I have no idea what you've been looking for so I could be way off-base. It's just a thought. Good luck!:)

I applied for all the 2 rooms flat, 2.5 and 3 rooms flats. More would be too much for me and i am willing to pay until CHF 1'400.00, CHF 1'500.00. There are very nice flats in this area for this price. I can say that i was rejected from 2 i visited, the same re-appeared a few months later on Comparis and Tutti, i re-applied and was re-rejected.

This might sound crazy and unreal, but it's true.. After what happened today i could not contain the tears.. It cannot be true.. This cannot be happening to me or to anybody.. 2 years working and searching and with a kind and yes, i focus on the fact that i already know the neighborhood and that i work in the same area, and that my daughter is attending this neighbourhood kindergarten... But nothing.. i undersand their policy of "Swiss people first" but.. that's incredible.

:msnsad::msnsad:

Litz 11.02.2015 18:15

Re: Giving up..
 
My hearts goes out to you and I send you a lot of positive energy in your search.
1) As amogles has pointed out make effort to chat with the land lord . Maybe you are not chatting enough. We had this problem. I realized my quiet husband was not impressing anyone with just simple handshake and then he would just look around the place.
When we went as a family, I made a lot if effort to chat. Even now the landlord calls on my mobile to discuss apartment related stuff..our landlord(s) are a couple ..mostly the lady calls me.

2) if possible while applying write a letter on how you and your daughter would be delighted to stay in the said appartment .

3) include a pic of you and your daughter ... As one of my friend did . They did not get the same apartment , but they were contacted first when another one became available.

4) you can put a wanted apartment notice at the local shopping center. We have one at COOP near my apartment and I keep seeing lot of such wanted and to let adverts.

All the best !!!

Cascabel 11.02.2015 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by miniMia (Post 2339025)
I know how you feel. I've been looking for a flat, any flat! and I'm always amazed that the flat is gone or there are already 20 people who have applied one day after the ad is up. In my case I know it's because I've been looking at lower price ranges. I've had to up my price to get an apartment and I KNOW I'm paying too much for it. Sigh.

My only suggestion for you is for you to stress the fact that you have a child in the school district you are looking in. I lost an apartment just for that reason. It was out in a village, but still, the management company told me they choose the family with the child at the near by school so that the child could stay in school.

If you are not stressing that point already, start doing so.




Recommendation letters? Really? Is that needed? Are you maybe giving them too much paper work?

Anyway, if you do need letters of recommendation ask them not to be dated or use the same ones. You don't need a new one for every application.

Thank you very, very much for your comment. I am truly sorry you were rejected because a family requested it.. It is also unfair and puts single individuals in a bad position.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litz (Post 2339107)
My hearts goes out to you and I send you a lot of positive energy in your search.
1) As amogles has pointed out make effort to chat with the land lord . Maybe you are not chatting enough. We had this problem. I realized my quiet husband was not impressing anyone with just simple handshake and then he would just look around the place.
When we went as a family, I made a lot if effort to chat. Even now the landlord calls on my mobile to discuss apartment related stuff..our landlord(s) are a couple ..mostly the lady calls me.

2) if possible while applying write a letter on how you and your daughter would be delighted to stay in the said appartment .

3) include a pic of you and your daughter ... As one of my friend did . They did not get the same apartment , but they were contacted first when another one became available.

4) you can put a wanted apartment notice at the local shopping center. We have one at COOP near my apartment and I keep seeing lot of such wanted and to let adverts.

All the best !!!

Thank you a lot Litz for your comment. I will, i will put the effort to chat more and to try to impress them during the visit and will check the boards of the shoping centers, i have never noticed them actually..

Faltrad 11.02.2015 18:40

Re: Giving up..
 
If you only want bigger, you need somebody who wants to downsize in the same area. Advertise a flat exchange. Not easy, I know.

miniMia 11.02.2015 18:41

Re: Giving up..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cascabel (Post 2339110)
Thank you very, very much for your comment. I am truly sorry you were rejected because a family requested it.. It is also unfair and puts single individuals in a bad position.

Oh. You're sweet. :) It's best for the child. Like you are trying to do. So I'm ok with it.

It's tough out there! And I know at that price level in my area there is FIERCE competition. Just yesterday I was told that a flat on the 5th floor without an elevator was taken on the first day of showing. 5th floor.... no elevator?! The shocking thing was that even *I* was considering it. LOL

Lots of management companies have this weird thing about apartments being "appropriate". For the best chances, you should really only be looking for three pcs apartments that are no more than 30% of your income, but not too low either, not less than about 20%. One bed for you and one for you daughter. That for them is appropriate.

Now you need to start asking for help from the professionals. When you call/see them, tell them what you are looking for and what you constraints are (stressing the school thing). Eventually you are going to have to ask them what you could be doing wrong. Don't tell them you've been looking for 2 years, but say "a long time". Ask them for advice. People love to be asked for their advice, to be seen as experts in their field.

Good luck! And I know it doesn't help but "keep your chin up"! It will eventually work out.

Guest 11.02.2015 18:49

Re: Giving up..
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Litz (Post 2339107)
They did not get the same apartment , but they were contacted first when another one became available.

This. OP, when you get rejected for an apartment, make sure to ask the agency for the reason and ask them to put you on their waiting list while reiterating your reasons as to why you'd like to rent from them. Many agencies have those lists and they will first consider people on those lists rather than people who apply to adverts on homegate etc.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:27.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0