Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.07.2015, 13:38
EmpressJo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nyon
Posts: 150
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 109 Times in 45 Posts
EmpressJo has made some interesting contributions
Finding and signing for one place, but then finding a better?

I imagine that this has probably happened to people before, but couldn't find anything on it in a search - has anyone applied for a place, signed the bail for it, but then been offered a better one that you want to take instead?

Once you're signed for the first place, what happens if you want to pull out before you've moved in? Does it just then revert to finding a tenant for it?

I should stress that this is hypothetical and in the context of Geneva - I know, if you're offered a place in Geneva, you're almost obliged to accept it, but curious to know if this has happened to anyone before and what happened next. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.07.2015, 13:56
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding and signing for one place, but then finding a better?

Quote:
View Post
I imagine that this has probably happened to people before, but couldn't find anything on it in a search - has anyone applied for a place, signed the bail for it, but then been offered a better one that you want to take instead?

Once you're signed for the first place, what happens if you want to pull out before you've moved in? Does it just then revert to finding a tenant for it?

I should stress that this is hypothetical and in the context of Geneva - I know, if you're offered a place in Geneva, you're almost obliged to accept it, but curious to know if this has happened to anyone before and what happened next. Thanks!
You pay for it until you find someone else to take over the contract..........or give notice as stipulated in the contract.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 15.07.2015, 14:28
Ttamasle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ZH, AaA
Posts: 766
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 894 Times in 325 Posts
Ttamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding and signing for one place, but then finding a better?

Having gone through this non-hypothetically...I would say that you are obligated to pay at least three months rent and find a new tenant.
As soon as you sign something...you are obligated. The law is absolutely clear in this.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.07.2015, 14:30
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,243
Groaned at 118 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding and signing for one place, but then finding a better?

Quote:
View Post
I imagine that this has probably happened to people before, but couldn't find anything on it in a search - has anyone applied for a place, signed the bail for it, but then been offered a better one that you want to take instead?

Once you're signed for the first place, what happens if you want to pull out before you've moved in? Does it just then revert to finding a tenant for it?

I should stress that this is hypothetical and in the context of Geneva - I know, if you're offered a place in Geneva, you're almost obliged to accept it, but curious to know if this has happened to anyone before and what happened next. Thanks!
This happened to some friends; they simply agreed on a financial settlement with the original landlord in order to break the contract. This was in Kt. Zug btw.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.07.2015, 17:54
mirfield's Avatar
Moddy Wellies
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 8,721
Groaned at 53 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 9,888 Times in 3,636 Posts
mirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond reputemirfield has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding and signing for one place, but then finding a better?

This is one of those times you want to be nice to the landlord. They can be as helpful or ****y as they want to be.

They can certainly obligate you to stick to the word of the contract - respecting the notice period and dates or submitting your own suitable new tenants. (I wonder if they could also charge end of contract cleaning/servicing fees, though that yould be particularly ****y).

On the other hand, they might just ask the next interested party and let you move on with a smaller charge (just to cover any loss they've incurred and the cost of drawing up the contract) once the new tenants have signed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mirfield for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 16.07.2015, 11:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding and signing for one place, but then finding a better?

Quote:
View Post
This is one of those times you want to be nice to the landlord. They can be as helpful or ****y as they want to be.

They can certainly obligate you to stick to the word of the contract - respecting the notice period and dates or submitting your own suitable new tenants. (I wonder if they could also charge end of contract cleaning/servicing fees, though that yould be particularly ****y).

On the other hand, they might just ask the next interested party and let you move on with a smaller charge (just to cover any loss they've incurred and the cost of drawing up the contract) once the new tenants have signed.
As above.. all depends how awkward the agency wants to be. Remember that in the case of an unsigned contract some agencies try to charge... that is illegal
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finding an apartment is more difficult than finding a job! (Lausanne/Switzerland) pk86 Housing in general 10 10.10.2013 23:00
Worried about temporary housing and enrolling kids in school (then finding permanent) Guest Family matters/health 19 10.12.2012 22:54
Finding a place for two MatthewAMoore Housing in general 3 29.03.2011 18:54
Intern Finding a Place to Stay for 4 Months Yasmine#1 Housing in general 5 28.04.2009 15:24
Chances of finding and apartment and signing the lease in 3-day visit to basel? NWCLass Housing in general 7 28.04.2009 13:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0