Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.09.2015, 12:29
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,215
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,163 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Where to buy double glazing pane

The outside door in our cellar is single glazed - I think maybe because it's had a cat flap fitted, every other window and door in the house is the same frame and double glazed. I want to double-glaze it before this winter.

Does anyone know where I can buy a made-to-measure double glazing pane in the Obersee area?

I can fit myself (it's a wooden frame with plenty of depth so it's trivial).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13.09.2015, 12:52
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,471
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy double glazing pane

Coop Bau+Hobby stores will cut glass to order:

https://www.bauundhobby.ch/service/_de
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13.09.2015, 12:58
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Milky Way
Posts: 1,677
Groaned at 141 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 4,455 Times in 1,774 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy double glazing pane

I doubt Coop B+H deals with what the OP wants - double and triple glazed windows are filled with an inert gas (argon, xenon, krypton) to increase insulative value by preventing the convective thermal loop that would occur with normal air. They also have to be impeccably moisture and dust free.

You may be able to special order from them, however...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 13.09.2015, 13:12
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,130
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy double glazing pane

Many many many moons ago (ca. 1952) my father fitted a second pane of glass into the wooden frame of each pane of every window in our house in England. Held in at the corners by drawing pins. They fitted well but were not sealed. From time to time we took them all out, cleaned both sides of the glass them and replaced them. Condensation was a problem but if they were replaced on a very cold winter day with low humidity, it worked pretty well. Much later he placed small bags of dessicant between each of the two panes. Very amateurish from a modern point of view but insulate it did!
__________________
Longbyt
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13.09.2015, 13:53
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 2,061
Groaned at 41 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 2,710 Times in 1,311 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy double glazing pane

I guess what you want is a ready made double glazing panel. It is called 'isolierglas'.
Here are some suppliers: (ger) https://www.wlw.ch/de/firmen/isolierglas
Of course, any window firm (say listed in your telephone book) can get hold of these. If one of your existing double glazed panels required a replacement, say due to breakage etc., you'd call and they would come, measure up, obtain and fit a replacement panel. Maybe not all, however, would be willing to simply supply the materials only, according to dimensions you specify.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13.09.2015, 18:37
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,215
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,163 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy double glazing pane

Quote:
View Post
Many many many moons ago (ca. 1952) my father fitted a second pane of glass into the wooden frame of each pane of every window in our house in England. Held in at the corners by drawing pins. They fitted well but were not sealed. From time to time we took them all out, cleaned both sides of the glass them and replaced them. Condensation was a problem but if they were replaced on a very cold winter day with low humidity, it worked pretty well. Much later he placed small bags of dessicant between each of the two panes. Very amateurish from a modern point of view but insulate it did!
I considered that, and the plastic stick-on and shrink to fit stuff. But in the basement it would be a condensation disaster - not to mention the existing pane has a cat flap in it, so I need two panes anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13.09.2015, 18:39
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,215
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,163 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy double glazing pane

Quote:
View Post
I guess what you want is a ready made double glazing panel. It is called 'isolierglas'.
Here are some suppliers: (ger) https://www.wlw.ch/de/firmen/isolierglas
Of course, any window firm (say listed in your telephone book) can get hold of these. If one of your existing double glazed panels required a replacement, say due to breakage etc., you'd call and they would come, measure up, obtain and fit a replacement panel. Maybe not all, however, would be willing to simply supply the materials only, according to dimensions you specify.
Thanks, I'll try one of those but was hoping for a recommendation. As you say, I'm sure they'd be happy to charge me for fitting it - but I'm also sure that their rate for what will take me less than an hour would be higher than I'd like!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13.09.2015, 20:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,047
Groaned at 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,843 Times in 1,723 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy double glazing pane

Might it actually work out cheaper to just replace the door?

Assuming it's your house that is.... if it isn't I don't suppose the owner would object to you changing it as they'd be get a new door for free.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13.09.2015, 20:33
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,130
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy double glazing pane

Not sure as it is an outside door I wouldn't prefer some sort of strengthened glass anyway. We are 'Hoch-parterre' (agile thieves have been known to climb up onto these balconies) so when we replaced the balcony doors we had stronger glass and better fastenings fitted. (Which is why my daughter's cat managed to lock us out instead of the other way round)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13.09.2015, 21:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 3,047
Groaned at 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,843 Times in 1,723 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy double glazing pane

Quote:
View Post
Not sure as it is an outside door I wouldn't prefer some sort of strengthened glass anyway. We are 'Hoch-parterre' (agile thieves have been known to climb up onto these balconies) so when we replaced the balcony doors we had stronger glass and better fastenings fitted. (Which is why my daughter's cat managed to lock us out instead of the other way round)
You'd hope that the replacement/extra panel is going to be safely glass anyway.... otherwise newtoswitz will be in for some very nasty surprises if anyone ever has an accident involving said door!

Last edited by Anjela; 13.09.2015 at 23:03. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13.09.2015, 21:18
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,519
Groaned at 180 Times in 162 Posts
Thanked 17,932 Times in 7,588 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy double glazing pane

Quote:
View Post
You'd hope that the replacement/extra panel is going to be safely glass anyway.... otherwise newtoswitz will be in for some very nasty surprises if anyone ever has a accident involving said door!
Indeed. Hubby has a very nasty scar on his arm as a result of an accident involving the kitchen door when he was young. (Glass in door broke and a large shard embedded itself in his arm after his brother slammed it shut to try to keep him out).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 15.09.2015, 11:07
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 2,215
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,163 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to buy double glazing pane

Quote:
View Post
Might it actually work out cheaper to just replace the door?

Assuming it's your house that is.... if it isn't I don't suppose the owner would object to you changing it as they'd be get a new door for free.
The door is perfect, and also aligns with windows in the same room, so I don't want to replace it.

Quote:
View Post
Not sure as it is an outside door I wouldn't prefer some sort of strengthened glass anyway. We are 'Hoch-parterre' (agile thieves have been known to climb up onto these balconies) so when we replaced the balcony doors we had stronger glass and better fastenings fitted. (Which is why my daughter's cat managed to lock us out instead of the other way round)
There is an additional metal gate outside the door, so it's pretty secure. There are other much easier access points anyway.

Quote:
View Post
You'd hope that the replacement/extra panel is going to be safely glass anyway.... otherwise newtoswitz will be in for some very nasty surprises if anyone ever has an accident involving said door!
I don't think anyone sells non-safety glass anymore, but yes it would definitely be the proper stuff for a door.

Does anyone know what the shrink-fit film is called?

Thinking a layer of that outside and inside the cat-flap hole, and then insulating the whole panel may be the quickest and easiest solution. Existing glass isn't even clear (frosted, metal wired) so that's not a problem either.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
glazing pane




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy a double stroller for twins? lazylion Other/general 16 22.02.2015 16:40
Where to buy Double DIN in car units? Frank2k Transportation/driving 3 09.12.2013 15:59
Graco double buggy where to buy-Lausanne Dunroaming Family matters/health 2 05.05.2013 19:08
Checkout - what does this mean? [non-sealed unit double glazing] mrshunkydorey Housing in general 4 03.11.2011 10:12
cat door in balcony double glazing Guest Pet corner 7 12.01.2009 13:04


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0