Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.08.2016, 09:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 49
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
lesley7331 has no particular reputation at present
broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

I broke the door of the 30+ year old freezer in my flat. The Electrolux guy came check the door and said it's not possible to repair it, so the landlord will have to buy a new one.
The thing is I am moving out of the flat end of this month. Given that the freezer is this old I don't think I should pay for the new one, even I did break the door of the old... What should I do
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.08.2016, 09:38
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nyon
Posts: 2,844
Groaned at 77 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 3,455 Times in 1,369 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

Buy a cheap replacement from anibis or tuti ?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 09.08.2016, 09:43
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,466
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,056 Times in 5,485 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

Quote:
View Post
I broke the door of the 30+ year old freezer in my flat. The Electrolux guy came check the door and said it's not possible to repair it, so the landlord will have to buy a new one.
The thing is I am moving out of the flat end of this month. Given that the freezer is this old I don't think I should pay for the new one, even I did break the door of the old... What should I do
According to the HEV/ASLOCA/Mieterverband, the life expectancy of a freezer or fridge is 15 years. Your landlord would have a hard time making it stick.

https://intern.mieterverband.ch/ldt/...=tiefkuhltruhe
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 09.08.2016, 09:46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 49
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
lesley7331 has no particular reputation at present
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

Quote:
View Post
According to the HEV/ASLOCA/Mieterverband, the life expectancy of a freezer or fridge is 15 years. Your landlord would have a hard time making it stick.

https://intern.mieterverband.ch/ldt/...=tiefkuhltruhe
Thank you thank you! will print out this and use it whenever it's needed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lesley7331 for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 30.08.2016, 17:13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 49
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
lesley7331 has no particular reputation at present
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

update: moved out from the flat and didn't receive any bill for the new fridge
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lesley7331 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 30.08.2016, 17:18
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,258
Groaned at 20 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 741 Times in 442 Posts
Landers has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of many
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

Quote:
View Post
update: moved out from the flat and didn't receive any bill for the new fridge
Did you get your deposit back yet?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30.08.2016, 17:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 49
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
lesley7331 has no particular reputation at present
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

Quote:
View Post
Did you get your deposit back yet?
yes
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30.08.2016, 17:54
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 3,519
Groaned at 52 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 5,308 Times in 2,197 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

Quote:
View Post
According to the HEV/ASLOCA/Mieterverband, the life expectancy of a freezer or fridge is 15 years. Your landlord would have a hard time making it stick.

https://intern.mieterverband.ch/ldt/...=tiefkuhltruhe
Is the first half of this link the link to the whole "life expectancy of stuff" list by any chance?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30.08.2016, 17:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,258
Groaned at 20 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 741 Times in 442 Posts
Landers has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of many
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

Quote:
View Post
Is the first half of this link the link to the whole "life expectancy of stuff" list by any chance?
Thanks.
And does it mean you can destroy anything that's past its life expectancy and it'll get replaced for free?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30.08.2016, 17:57
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,258
Groaned at 20 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 741 Times in 442 Posts
Landers has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of many
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

https://www.mieterverband.ch/mv/miet...ertabelle.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 30.08.2016, 18:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 49
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
lesley7331 has no particular reputation at present
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

Quote:
View Post
And does it mean you can destroy anything that's past its life expectancy and it'll get replaced for free?
I had the same question. when I saw this link I wish I have reported the broken door earlier so that I could enjoy the new fridge
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 30.08.2016, 18:20
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,466
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,056 Times in 5,485 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

Quote:
View Post
I had the same question. when I saw this link I wish I have reported the broken door earlier so that I could enjoy the new fridge
Once you're settled in in the new place, get a flashlight and note down all the manufacture dates of all the appliances.

At Christmas you can make a huge turkey dinner, not clean the oven, damage the door and just get the oven replaced. If the repair guy is to your liking you've still got stovetop, fridge and dishwasher in reserve.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 30.08.2016, 22:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 49
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
lesley7331 has no particular reputation at present
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

Quote:
View Post
Once you're settled in in the new place, get a flashlight and note down all the manufacture dates of all the appliances.

At Christmas you can make a huge turkey dinner, not clean the oven, damage the door and just get the oven replaced. If the repair guy is to your liking you've still got stovetop, fridge and dishwasher in reserve.
too bad I am about to board a one way flight to leave Switzerland...
those who are still here can probably try this out!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 30.08.2016, 22:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,030
Groaned at 240 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 14,698 Times in 5,081 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

Quote:
View Post
And does it mean you can destroy anything that's past its life expectancy and it'll get replaced for free?
no. the landlord could still decide to (try) to repair it.
also, if you damage it on purpose, you will of course be liable
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 30.08.2016, 23:18
JourneyMan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 116
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 95 Times in 35 Posts
JourneyMan has no particular reputation at present
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

Broke my cooktop a year ago (by accident of course:-) ), Notified landlord and was preparing to send the case to my household insurance but to my surprise, the service crew came and replaced the entire cooker/oven new. And the fridge too! which I had no complaints about. I was told that both appliances were found to be over 10 years old and due for free replacement.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 30.08.2016, 23:46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 49
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
lesley7331 has no particular reputation at present
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

Quote:
View Post
Broke my cooktop a year ago (by accident of course:-) ), Notified landlord and was preparing to send the case to my household insurance but to my surprise, the service crew came and replaced the entire cooker/oven new. And the fridge too! which I had no complaints about. I was told that both appliances were found to be over 10 years old and due for free replacement.
the point is one has to break things in a smart way so that landlord has to replace it but not just repair. maybe you can share with us the story of how exactly you broke your cooktop and fridge
Reply With Quote
This user groans at lesley7331 for this post:
  #17  
Old 31.08.2016, 22:09
JourneyMan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 116
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 95 Times in 35 Posts
JourneyMan has no particular reputation at present
Re: broke the door of 30+ year old freezer

I was rehearsing my 3-egg omelette flipping skills one morning
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank JourneyMan for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy good car seats for 1 year old and 5 year old? brolga Family matters/health 3 08.07.2016 07:08
7 year old marched out of the class by the scruff of his neck telandy Family matters/health 88 07.07.2011 12:54
Birthday Treat for 30 year old Vikster Travel/day trips/free time 0 22.02.2011 13:59
integrating a one year old and a two year old in Swiss life moonshine Family matters/health 13 22.11.2010 22:57


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0