Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29.08.2016, 19:30
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 112
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 157 Times in 60 Posts
keksli is considered knowledgeablekeksli is considered knowledgeablekeksli is considered knowledgeable
Mould in freezer

I moved a few weeks ago and put the freezer in the cellar, because I didn't need it at that time. I left the door open, but it must have closed on it's own, because when I took it up into the apartment today, I saw that is has black mould in the drawers
I've search the forum, but most mould threads are about mould on walls/ceilings.

The inside of the freezer and the rubber is pretty much mould free, there are only a few small spots. The drawers aren't totally covered in mould, but there are a lot of round spots, and on one drawer, also a big yellow spot.
I've removed the drawers and am soaking them in water right now. I don't have any bleach or mould remover at home at the moment.

My questions are:
- Is the freezer safe to use after removing the mould? The food that would go into the freezer would be packaged, but still not sure?
- How do I remove the mould safely? I googled it, some say bleach, other say never to use bleach on a freezer.
- And lastly, the freezer is currently next to the kitchen. The freezer door is now open, but should I close it again? Because I read the spores can be quite harmful.


Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29.08.2016, 19:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 6,080
Groaned at 478 Times in 264 Posts
Thanked 7,138 Times in 3,275 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mould in freezer

Quote:
View Post
I moved a few weeks ago and put the freezer in the cellar, because I didn't need it at that time. I left the door open, but it must have closed on it's own, because when I took it up into the apartment today, I saw that is has black mould in the drawers
I've search the forum, but most mould threads are about mould on walls/ceilings.

The inside of the freezer and the rubber is pretty much mould free, there are only a few small spots. The drawers aren't totally covered in mould, but there are a lot of round spots, and on one drawer, also a big yellow spot.
I've removed the drawers and am soaking them in water right now. I don't have any bleach or mould remover at home right now.

My questions are:
- Is the freezer safe to use after removing the mould? The food that would go into the freezer would be packaged, but still not sure?
- How do I remove the mould safely? I googled it, some say bleach, other say never to use bleach in a freezer.
- And lastly, the freezer is currently next to the kitchen. The freezer door is now open, but should I close it again? Because I read the spores can be quite harmful.


Thanks in advance.
Personally I'd never use a freezer that once had mould it in.

I once inherited a a freezer from a well meaning mate in England who hadn't stored it properly for a few weeks, and I can tell you that the results would have been worthy of a Stephen King novel.

It's relatively cheap to buy an alternative.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29.08.2016, 19:43
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,248
Groaned at 46 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mould in freezer

I would probably give it a try with Essigreiniger, and make sure it was perfectly dry, then leave it for two weeks with the door closed. If nothing grows inside after a couple of weeks then you're probably ok.

Not all mould is as toxic as cyanide, and if you get rid of it and it doesn't come back then it is probably gone.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29.08.2016, 19:50
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,919
Groaned at 2,696 Times in 1,905 Posts
Thanked 40,117 Times in 18,917 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mould in freezer

Turn it on, the mould will die.

Personally, I'd give it a good wash with bleach, leave it open a few weeks, and THEN turn it on and use it.

It's a freezer, not a fridge.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 29.08.2016, 19:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 6,080
Groaned at 478 Times in 264 Posts
Thanked 7,138 Times in 3,275 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mould in freezer

Quote:
View Post
Turn it on, the mould will die.

Personally, I'd give it a good wash with bleach, leave it open a few weeks, and THEN turn it on and use it.

Tom
As long as you remember to remove any meat from it before taking it from the mains...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 29.08.2016, 20:36
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,723
Groaned at 710 Times in 555 Posts
Thanked 27,044 Times in 10,912 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mould in freezer

Quote:
View Post
Personally I'd never use a freezer that once had mould it in.

It's relatively cheap to buy an alternative.
Are you serious?

This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've read in weeks.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 29.08.2016, 20:39
CathHarmony's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Best City, Greatest Nation
Posts: 1,410
Groaned at 197 Times in 109 Posts
Thanked 1,208 Times in 641 Posts
CathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond reputeCathHarmony has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mould in freezer

Quote:
View Post
Personally I'd never use a freezer that once had mould it in.

I once inherited a a freezer from a well meaning mate in England who hadn't stored it properly for a few weeks, and I can tell you that the results would have been worthy of a Stephen King novel.

It's relatively cheap to buy an alternative.
Quote:
View Post
Are you serious?

This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've read in weeks.
I had a fridge freezer that broke down and i used the fridge just as an extra cupboard, went without a fridge for a while (its perfectly possible kids ).

The freezer though I didnt use and it turned into a nightmare. of mould. I would never use it again. Until you see what a mould invasion looks like its difficult to believe.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 29.08.2016, 20:42
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,248
Groaned at 46 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mould in freezer

Quote:
View Post
I had a fridge freezer that broke down and i used the fridge just as an extra cupboard, went without a fridge for a while (its perfectly possible kids ).

The freezer though I didnt use and it turned into a nightmare. of mould. I would never use it again. Until you see what a mould invasion looks like its difficult to believe.
Cath, read the description in the first post. It sounds pretty minimal to me.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 29.08.2016, 20:43
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,723
Groaned at 710 Times in 555 Posts
Thanked 27,044 Times in 10,912 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mould in freezer

Quote:
View Post
I had a fridge freezer that broke down and i used the fridge just as an extra cupboard, went without a fridge for a while (its perfectly possible kids ).

The freezer though I didnt use and it turned into a nightmare. of mould. I would never use it again. Until you see what a mould invasion looks like its difficult to believe.
The OP's freezer has a few spots of mould which developed because the the door was closed when it was switched off.

After a good clean and with it switched on, it would be absolutely fine to use.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 29.08.2016, 20:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 6,080
Groaned at 478 Times in 264 Posts
Thanked 7,138 Times in 3,275 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mould in freezer

Quote:
View Post
Are you serious?

This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've read in weeks.
Thank you - I gave my relatively new freezer to my sister a while ago. It was sitting in the garage for about 4 months - properly aired etc. - no food within.

I'd always blamed our split on her finding something awful within.
Will now be able to blame our separation on something else, and might not need to be so OCD after all these years.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 29.08.2016, 21:37
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 112
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 157 Times in 60 Posts
keksli is considered knowledgeablekeksli is considered knowledgeablekeksli is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mould in freezer

Thank you all for your replies.

It really isn't super serious; as mentioned, only the drawers had mould, not the freezer itself. The worst mould coverage on the bottom of one of the drawers looked something like this: http://www.acecorentals.com.au/blog/...mouldy-fridge/
The other drawers weren't that bad.

I rinsed the drawers with water, then applied some Cilit Bang I had found in the cupboard and then rinsed again. They are now drying on the balcony.
I think the Cilit Bang was too strong though, because the surface of the drawers seems dull now (not shiny anymore)
Tomorrow I will go over the drawers and the inside of the freezer with cleaning vinegar.

And after that, hopefully the cold will kill of the rest
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29.08.2016, 22:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 6,080
Groaned at 478 Times in 264 Posts
Thanked 7,138 Times in 3,275 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mould in freezer

Quote:
View Post
Thank you all for your replies.

It really isn't super serious; as mentioned, only the drawers had mould, not the freezer itself. The worst mould coverage on the bottom of one of the drawers looked something like this: http://www.acecorentals.com.au/blog/...mouldy-fridge/
The other drawers weren't that bad.

I rinsed the drawers with water, then applied some Cilit Bang I had found in the cupboard and then rinsed again. They are now drying on the balcony.
I think the Cilit Bang was too strong though, because the surface of the drawers seems dull now (not shiny anymore)
Tomorrow I will go over the drawers and the inside of the freezer with cleaning vinegar.

And after that, hopefully the cold will kill of the rest
Your health - I couldn't give a shit about your health ;-).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29.08.2016, 22:23
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 112
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 157 Times in 60 Posts
keksli is considered knowledgeablekeksli is considered knowledgeablekeksli is considered knowledgeable
Re: Mould in freezer

Quote:
View Post
Your health - I couldn't give a shit about your health ;-).
Not asking you to... Just asking for advice.
Btw a friend asked a friend, who is a biologist, and he said it would be fine.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank keksli for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 29.08.2016, 22:43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: CH
Posts: 314
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 223 Times in 116 Posts
Serk has earned the respect of manySerk has earned the respect of manySerk has earned the respect of many
Re: Mould in freezer

Hydrogen peroxide is great for hygiene; alternatively, baking soda-vinegar combination.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29.08.2016, 23:12
Karl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 2,039
Groaned at 198 Times in 90 Posts
Thanked 2,986 Times in 981 Posts
Karl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mould in freezer

Use a steam cleaner, then wipe down with vinegar or bleach.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Karl for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 29.08.2016, 23:18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Dallikon, Zurich area
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
ioiox has no particular reputation at present
Re: Mould in freezer

Cillit bang will take the shine out of anything


Soak those drawers in vinegar, that should kill the mold.
Repeat after 2/4/6/8 weeks, so you kill the possible new mold growing from the spores.
You should be fine after that.


btw, cold will never kill mold, just slows it down (of course, unless you happen to have some liquid helium around the house)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ioiox for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 29.08.2016, 23:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 6,080
Groaned at 478 Times in 264 Posts
Thanked 7,138 Times in 3,275 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mould in freezer

Quote:
View Post
btw, cold will never kill mold, just slows it down (of course, unless you happen to have some liquid helium around the house)
Available as I understand it from the new Aldi being opened-up soon at the end of the Bahnhofstrasse, Zurich!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mould removal in Romanshorn area phigoldenspiral Housing in general 4 12.06.2015 12:04
Mould in the conservatory magic Housing in general 3 03.04.2011 21:01


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0