Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.09.2016, 08:40
Leoo's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 108
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Leoo has earned some respectLeoo has earned some respect
how to fix splashed wall - DIY paint

I have splashed the wall with coffee which looks ugly now

The wall is white matt painted on top of wallpaper. I would like to repaint the splashed area so now there's the quest how to find suitable paint? Ideally I would like to repaint the splashed area in a way that it would be unnoticeable overall.

Does anyone know where to buy paint samples (or small paint containers) to try them out? Maybe there is a shop which has small painted samples on display for all the paint they sell?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.09.2016, 08:58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: how to fix splashed wall - DYI paint

Quote:
View Post
I have splashed the wall with coffee which looks ugly now

The wall is white matt painted on top of wallpaper. I would like to repaint the splashed area so now there's the quest how to find suitable paint? Ideally I would like to repaint the splashed area in a way that it would be unnoticeable overall.

Does anyone know where to buy paint samples (or small paint containers) to try them out? Maybe there is a shop which has small painted samples on display for all the paint they sell?
Too much dicking around for a lousy result, paint the whole wall
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 15.09.2016, 09:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Horgen
Posts: 38
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
south has earned some respectsouth has earned some respect
Re: how to fix splashed wall - DYI paint

Coop Bau+Hobby sell these white sponges which are great at getting rid of marks on white walls. You just make them a wee bit damp and gently rub on the marks. The sponge dissolves a while you wipe so not to damage the wall. I think they are around 3chf for 2 sponges and work very well. Could be worth a try before painting the walls....
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank south for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 15.09.2016, 09:22
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 2,208
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 4,127 Times in 1,370 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: how to fix splashed wall - DYI paint

You can get paint in any hobby shop: Coop Bau und Hobby, Migros DO IT, Jumbo, Hornbach, Bauhaus. You will want the acrylic white.

Be aware you will probably will need to paint the whole wall. White walls will change tone with time - from sun exposure to contact with human skin - and if you paint only partially, even if with the correct tone, you will notice it. Make sure to clean the coffee as much as possible, so it doesn't stain the new paint.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.09.2016, 10:32
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: how to fix splashed wall - DYI paint

Quote:
View Post
Coop Bau+Hobby sell these white sponges which are great at getting rid of marks on white walls. You just make them a wee bit damp and gently rub on the marks. The sponge dissolves a while you wipe so not to damage the wall. I think they are around 3chf for 2 sponges and work very well. Could be worth a try before painting the walls....
Coffee on wallpaper.......I really think not!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.09.2016, 10:48
JagWaugh's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 7,273
Groaned at 47 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 14,131 Times in 5,506 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: how to fix splashed wall - DIY paint

Well, it is a reasonably good motivation to get out of the house.

You can try cleaning it, but it probably won't be terribly effective. As you mention wallpaper it is probably fairly old, so try not to use too much soap or other cleaning agents as this may soften the glue, which will be even more work to rectify.

As even the smallest container of white dispersion (paint) will generally cover a 5x2m wall with 2 coats, you might as well just paint the whole wall.

The whites don't always match when you change from one paint supplier to another, and the walls generally have faded or discoloured enough that even after 2 years a patch in the middle of the wall with the identical paint will stand out.

Be careful to get a sharp edge right at the corners, this will stand out less than a wobbly line, even if the adjacent edge is darkend from dust/soot etc.
__________________
If everyone you know agrees with you consistently, they are either not listening, or not capable of critical thought.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.09.2016, 11:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: how to fix splashed wall - DIY paint

Quote:
View Post
Coop Bau+Hobby sell these white sponges which are great at getting rid of marks on white walls. You just make them a wee bit damp and gently rub on the marks. The sponge dissolves a while you wipe so not to damage the wall. I think they are around 3chf for 2 sponges and work very well. Could be worth a try before painting the walls....
Quote:
Coffee on wallpaper.......I really think not!
Nope, they really work, they even get red wine off any surface so long as it's "wipe-proof". No idea how it works, nor do I care, but it has saved my bacon many times.

You might have to persevere a bit but it usually brings most stains off.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 15.09.2016, 10:38
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Zug
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
lablatt has no particular reputation at present
Re: how to fix splashed wall - DYI paint

I had similar experience. These white sponges removed stains which we didnt think would be possible. Definitely worth a try before painting.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need wall & ceiling paint recommendations splishsplash Other/general 3 14.01.2016 22:18
DIY Wall Paint for baby's room - seeking advise BigB.ZH Housing in general 15 10.05.2015 17:12
Interior wall paint not white enough! snakecharmer Housing in general 5 20.07.2011 14:27
DIY: Paint colour matching Daisydukes Other/general 2 15.06.2009 10:30
DIY HELP - How to paint these Swiss bumpy plastered walls smbuzby Housing in general 17 08.04.2008 16:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0