Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.11.2016, 10:04
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: London
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 38 Times in 5 Posts
leotrepper has earned some respectleotrepper has earned some respect
renting with poor credit record

I have been offered a transferred to Geneva, and need some advice on renting with a bad credit record - unfortunate situation resulting in bankruptcy. None of the financial problems relate to poor servicing of rental payments.

Is it possible to obtain rental accommodation in geneva under these circumstances, i.e. by paying a higher security deposit?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.11.2016, 10:29
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,029
Groaned at 480 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 14,102 Times in 5,594 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: renting with poor credit record

Quote:
View Post
I have been offered a transferred to Geneva, and need some advice on renting with a bad credit record - unfortunate situation resulting in bankruptcy. None of the financial problems relate to poor servicing of rental payments.

Is it possible to obtain rental accommodation in geneva under these circumstances, i.e. by paying a higher security deposit?

bad credit in switzerland or in england? we where never asked for a copy of our UK credit history when renting, only the swiss version (kinda silly when we had only been here a few weeks)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.11.2016, 10:30
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 10,728
Groaned at 144 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 15,781 Times in 6,857 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: renting with poor credit record

Quote:
View Post
bad credit in switzerland or in england? we where never asked for a copy of our UK credit history when renting, only the swiss version (kinda silly when we had only been here a few weeks)
Exactly the same here. They only asked for a copy of the debt register in Switzerland. Nothing from anywhere else.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.11.2016, 10:40
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 8,128
Groaned at 896 Times in 613 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 4,822 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: renting with poor credit record

Quote:
View Post
I have been offered a transferred to Geneva, and need some advice on renting with a bad credit record - unfortunate situation resulting in bankruptcy. None of the financial problems relate to poor servicing of rental payments.

Is it possible to obtain rental accommodation in geneva under these circumstances, i.e. by paying a higher security deposit?
You could offer a higher security rental, but by law the maximum that can be held is the equivalent of 3 months rent.

As it's in UK, shouldn't matter too much
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.11.2016, 23:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: London
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 38 Times in 5 Posts
leotrepper has earned some respectleotrepper has earned some respect
Re: renting with poor credit record

Thank you everyone. This has been helpful. I assume most people love in hotel or furnished accommodation for a while before renting long term, which allows some (rather brief I guess) credit record to exist in Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.11.2016, 23:48
Fish Paste's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North
Posts: 1,074
Groaned at 39 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,351 Times in 624 Posts
Fish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond reputeFish Paste has a reputation beyond repute
Re: renting with poor credit record

You don't need a good credit rating, the 3 month deposit is enough.

They just check you are not on the record as a bad debtor in CH.

So no need for furnished/hotel etc.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08.11.2016, 07:14
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DK - previously Zug
Posts: 3,328
Groaned at 169 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 6,699 Times in 2,236 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: renting with poor credit record

Quote:
View Post
Thank you everyone. This has been helpful. I assume most people love in hotel or furnished accommodation for a while before renting long term, which allows some (rather brief I guess) credit record to exist in Switzerland?
No, most people don't. See Fish Paste's answer for why it's not necessary - your credit chec, as someone new, will simply say "no problems found" - they don't have positive credit scoring like the US.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
renting bad credit Coralee Housing in general 10 18.09.2013 10:24
Raiffeisen rejects expats with poor German makeabigwish Finance/banking/taxation 49 13.04.2012 18:03
Credit Suisse cuts jobs on poor results vanjaar Swiss politics/news 43 24.08.2011 15:47
Your credit record is collected here... armandair Finance/banking/taxation 2 20.05.2011 13:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0