English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Housing in general (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/)
-   -   Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ] (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/266215-stop-running-european-toilet-tip.html)

amogles 11.07.2019 10:49

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greengrass10 (Post 3082257)
Hello all,

I'm re-opening this thread due to a toilet which doesn't stop running. The toilet is in France, and some photos are attached. Does anyone know how to fix this? Would appreciate some help and suggestions. Look forward to hearing from you!

Greengrass

The plastic floater thingy is probably broken. You can get a complete assembly at Bauhaus for about 20CHF. A bit fiddly to fit if it's not exactly the same model, but quite doable. You can probably find youtubes of people showing how.

But before going there I would check that it is indeed the floater. Observe carefully as the tank fills with water. Does the floater rise with the water level? And does it stop the flow of water? If not, why not? Debris blocking its free movement? Stiffness in the joint? damage to the valve itself?

greengrass10 11.07.2019 12:56

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 3082272)
The plastic floater thingy is probably broken. You can get a complete assembly at Bauhaus for about 20CHF. A bit fiddly to fit if it's not exactly the same model, but quite doable. You can probably find youtubes of people showing how.

But before going there I would check that it is indeed the floater. Observe carefully as the tank fills with water. Does the floater rise with the water level? And does it stop the flow of water? If not, why not? Debris blocking its free movement? Stiffness in the joint? damage to the valve itself?

Thanks, I can't figure out what is the floater. Could you point it out for me in the photo? I don't think anything is broken, though I did notice there is a lot of calcium/saltish stuff all over, so its possible the calcium debris is blocking free movement. The water is very hard. But what do I clean or which part do I replace if it is calcium buildup? Could you use the photos to direct me to the specific parts and describe what needs to be done?

amogles 11.07.2019 13:41

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by greengrass10 (Post 3082304)
Thanks, I can't figure out what is the floater. Could you point it out for me in the photo? I don't think anything is broken, though I did notice there is a lot of calcium/saltish stuff all over, so its possible the calcium debris is blocking free movement. The water is very hard. But what do I clean or which part do I replace if it is calcium buildup? Could you use the photos to direct me to the specific parts and describe what needs to be done?

Attachment 137239

The red arrow points to the actual floater. As your tank fills with water, this rises up and cuts off the inflow of water (possibly where the green arrow is, precise arangement varies from model to model).

Does the thing the red arrow points to rise up when the tank fills with water?

If that is not working correctly, you need to figure out why its not rising. maybe it's just debris or chalk deposit that you can easily remove. You can check whether it moves freely by moving it up and down by hand, even without water. If the reason it doesn't work is that its old and broken, you need to replace it.

The whole assembly, that is, the thing the red arrow points to and the thing the green arrow points to, and everything attached to it, this whole thing you can buy as one piece in Bauhaus and fit it yourself. As the water inflow is through this thing, you need to cut off the water supply before attempting to remove it.

aSwissInTheUS 11.07.2019 14:34

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
If the floater or inlet valve were the issue the cistern would fill and overflow through the blue tube into the bowl. But it looks like you have an empty cisterns, which means the sink hole does not close properly and water level never rises. Issue can be grime, limescale, or an aged seal.

greengrass10 11.07.2019 15:24

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 3082325)
Attachment 137239

The red arrow points to the actual floater. As your tank fills with water, this rises up and cuts off the inflow of water (possibly where the green arrow is, precise arangement varies from model to model).

Does the thing the red arrow points to rise up when the tank fills with water?

If that is not working correctly, you need to figure out why its not rising. maybe it's just debris or chalk deposit that you can easily remove. You can check whether it moves freely by moving it up and down by hand, even without water. If the reason it doesn't work is that its old and broken, you need to replace it.

The whole assembly, that is, the thing the red arrow points to and the thing the green arrow points to, and everything attached to it, this whole thing you can buy as one piece in Bauhaus and fit it yourself. As the water inflow is through this thing, you need to cut off the water supply before attempting to remove it.

Thanks, that's a big help! I checked the thing the red arrow points to, and it does seem to move up and down, though the surface it slides on is very grainy, possibly from calcium. Is there anything I can do remove the calcium? Also, someone mentioned some kind of flap which needs to seal and close properly. Where is this flap in the photo? In case it's a problem of the flap (not sure if calcium debris could affect this flap), what would I need to do to help restore a tight seal?

greengrass10 11.07.2019 15:25

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aSwissInTheUS (Post 3082343)
If the floater or inlet valve were the issue the cistern would fill and overflow through the blue tube into the bowl. But it looks like you have an empty cisterns, which means the sink hole does not close properly and water level never rises. Issue can be grime, limescale, or an aged seal.

Thanks that's good to know. How can I get rid of limescale and change an aged seal? Would appreciate if you could show me on the photos, as I'm not familiar with these things at all.

aSwissInTheUS 11.07.2019 15:55

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greengrass10 (Post 3082362)
Thanks that's good to know. How can I get rid of limescale and change an aged seal? Would appreciate if you could show me on the photos, as I'm not familiar with these things at all.

It is the middle part. This can be somehow removed. When removed the limescale in the cistern can be scrapped of, you clean/the plastic parts and seals with vinegar or citric acid, or replace if needed.

Here a video, this one is simply clipped in. Yours could be screwed in or old down otherwise.

doropfiz 11.07.2019 16:44

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
Have a look at some General Videos such as this, for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyoTm1FVvmo
The principle is the same no matter the kind of toilet cistern, or whether you use some fancy brand-name cleaner, or plain vinegar, etc. Obviously, though, the closer the cideo is to the actual cistern you have, the better.

First take clear photos from all angles of how it is all installed now. Maybe draw a diagram or write some notes… whatever works for you.

Then take each removeable item out, and soak and scrub individually. In the meantime soak the tank, then scrub that, then replace all parts according to your photos or drawings.

Only after that will you know whether anything needs to be replaced, at all.

amogles 11.07.2019 17:53

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by doropfiz (Post 3082380)
Have a look at some General Videos such as this, for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyoTm1FVvmo
The principle is the same no matter the kind of toilet cistern, or whether you use some fancy brand-name cleaner, or plain vinegar, etc. Obviously, though, the closer the cideo is to the actual cistern you have, the better.

First take clear photos from all angles of how it is all installed now. Maybe draw a diagram or write some notes… whatever works for you.

Then take each removeable item out, and soak and scrub individually. In the meantime soak the tank, then scrub that, then replace all parts according to your photos or drawings.

Only after that will you know whether anything needs to be replaced, at all.

All very sound ideas.

But please do also bear in mind that the entire inlet and floater assembly is cheap and lightweight plastic and (speaking from memory) costs around 20 CHF. It's also not that easy to disassemble without breaking something (because it's cheap and thin and ageing plastic) .So maybe replacement is the less hurtful option. Just my opinion.

greengrass10 11.07.2019 18:55

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aSwissInTheUS (Post 3082369)
It is the middle part. This can be somehow removed. When removed the limescale in the cistern can be scrapped of, you clean/the plastic parts and seals with vinegar or citric acid, or replace if needed.

Here a video, this one is simply clipped in. Yours could be screwed in or old down otherwise.

Thanks!

greengrass10 11.07.2019 18:56

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by doropfiz (Post 3082380)
Have a look at some General Videos such as this, for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyoTm1FVvmo
The principle is the same no matter the kind of toilet cistern, or whether you use some fancy brand-name cleaner, or plain vinegar, etc. Obviously, though, the closer the cideo is to the actual cistern you have, the better.

First take clear photos from all angles of how it is all installed now. Maybe draw a diagram or write some notes… whatever works for you.

Then take each removeable item out, and soak and scrub individually. In the meantime soak the tank, then scrub that, then replace all parts according to your photos or drawings.

Only after that will you know whether anything needs to be replaced, at all.

Thanks, good to see!

greengrass10 11.07.2019 18:57

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 3082403)
All very sound ideas.

But please do also bear in mind that the entire inlet and floater assembly is cheap and lightweight plastic and (speaking from memory) costs around 20 CHF. It's also not that easy to disassemble without breaking something (because it's cheap and thin and ageing plastic) .So maybe replacement is the less hurtful option. Just my opinion.

Thanks, will bear that in mind.

doropfiz 12.07.2019 04:30

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 3082403)
All very sound ideas.

But please do also bear in mind that the entire inlet and floater assembly is cheap and lightweight plastic and (speaking from memory) costs around 20 CHF. It's also not that easy to disassemble without breaking something (because it's cheap and thin and ageing plastic) .So maybe replacement is the less hurtful option. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I get that. I think I suggested it partly not realising how very cheap the replacement part would be, that's true.

For me, though, there's another aspect. Taking it apart - gently - and soaking and scrubbing it, and re-assembling, would feel like much less work than travelling All That Way to the right shop (and possibly first to the wrong one) to buy the replacement part.

Cherub 16.07.2019 16:55

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
One of the toilets in the house I have back in Scotland wouldn't stop running and I had to resort to getting a plumber. All of the gubbins inside the cistern had to be replaced as the dodgy developer / builder who did my house used an equally dodgy plumbing company. Turns out everything inside the cistern was broken and it had been stuck back together with some kind of sealant and then installed!:mad:

greengrass10 26.07.2019 15:58

Re: Stop a running European toilet [ * tip ]
 
Quick update: equipped with all the tips on this site, I set out to to clean and fix my running toilet. This entailed a saturday morning several hours reviewing this sites' tips, google researching and watching youtube videos on running toilet cleaning and repair, and a trip to leroy merlin (french home depot/hardware store) where I bought all the tools and a toilet replacement kit (in case one needed), including a leroy merlin membership card as it offered free telephone support for installation of the toilet replacement kit.

Long story short, I'd gotten a pretty good grasp of how the toilet works and having a sense of what I needed to do. But unfortunately I think I needed more practice in handling the tools. Accidentally broke one of the plastic parts with the wrench after realizing was twisting it the wrong direction, which made it necessary to replace the whole contraption. Then, hit a complete barrier when the square bolt attached to the water source seemed fused, and couldn't get it to turn in order to remove the contraption from the water source. Seemed quite easy in the videos, but not so easy in the doing. Anyway, ended up having to pay a plumber more than 250 euro to fix it (including additional weekend fee - hadn't realized plumbers in france don't work on weekends and will do it only for an additional weekend fee).

Realized I probably needed to start with Basic Tools 101. Did gain an understanding of the mechanisms through which a toilet works though which was good to know and also now have some appreciation for the person who invited the toilet and how much easier it makes our lives. Thanks in any case to all for the tips. I think would probably be able to do it successfully in case I needed to do this a 2nd time.

Greengrass


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:22.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0