Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23.05.2017, 10:24
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: zh
Posts: 391
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 112 Times in 66 Posts
giff is considered knowledgeablegiff is considered knowledgeablegiff is considered knowledgeable
Looking for an expert to check house before buying


I am not sure what the proper term is (architect? civil engineer? builder?) so I was not successful searching the forum, but I need someone to come see a house built in the 40's to ensure that there are no major problems with it. Does anybody have a contact to share? The house is in Zurich.

Reply With Quote
Old 23.05.2017, 10:38
Forum Legend
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 10,481
Groaned at 29 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 24,163 Times in 7,595 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for an expert to check house before buying

Ask your bank for a recommendation; some banks, such as ours, might have a architects they regularly call on for this kind of work.

That said, the architect our bank sent missed several things, one a fairly obvious structural issue. He seemed more concerned about decorative details and winning the renovation contract.

(We did not go with him for the renovation, but the architect we ultimately chose for the renovation turned out to be equally flighty. That's another post...)

For a hard honest look at structural issues, based on my experience I'd go with a Bauleiter rather than an architect.

(The Bauleiter who was in reality the person most responsible for successfully completing our renovation is now retired, so I unfortunately can't help with a name.)

However, a bank might value that architect more highly - and since it's their money at risk you might need to hire both, the architect to sign on the dotted line, and the Bauleiter to do the actual inspection.

First stop then: Speak to your mortgage lender for a recommendation.

Good luck with your project.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting expert advice, support before buying property lmcb Housing in general 5 28.03.2014 13:11
Looking For An International Relocation Expert pat.ley Business & entrepreneur 6 21.06.2012 13:52
Need expert advice for buying an Audi sragarwal General off-topic 6 14.06.2011 18:23
Looking for garage nr Vevey to do vehicle check on an Audi Millsy Transportation/driving 0 11.04.2007 11:31

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:44.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0