Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 18.06.2017, 16:25
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Geneva
Posts: 167
Groaned at 18 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 69 Times in 33 Posts
Dan M has earned some respectDan M has earned some respect
Re: Religious discrimination [in housing? ]

Thanks again for the information. I'm an optimistic person (foolishly so, at times) and don't see this as a potential problem. However, it it's better to ask and be prepared for these things in case it is a problem.

First thing... Get a job offer. This is taking way too long for my liking. It is an intergovernmental agency, so they work at their pace. If an offer comes, I hope it comes before the kids start school in the fall and before my wife is due at the end of November (will pregnancy help with the application process?)

As far as relocation services. I will not make such a move without one, even if it comes out of my own pocket.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 18.06.2017, 16:56
gsm gsm is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: zurich
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 11 Posts
gsm has annoyed a few people around heregsm has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Religious discrimination [in housing? ]

just for info in Zurich some of the Wohngennoschaft will only take 10% ethnic minorities !!!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 18.06.2017, 17:26
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Oerlikon
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 14 Posts
amckayn has no particular reputation at present
Re: Religious discrimination [in housing? ]

One of the applications we filled out recently asked for "Konfession"...

Can't help but think that if they're asking, they must find some type of tenants more desirable than others. Otherwise why ask at all?

(This was in ZH city btw)
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 18.06.2017, 20:14
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,363
Groaned at 348 Times in 290 Posts
Thanked 12,344 Times in 5,946 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religious discrimination [in housing? ]

Quote:
View Post
just for info in Zurich some of the Wohngennoschaft will only take 10% ethnic minorities !!!
Do they advertise that??
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 18.06.2017, 20:52
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,104
Groaned at 2,024 Times in 1,522 Posts
Thanked 34,652 Times in 16,458 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religious discrimination [in housing? ]

Quote:
View Post
just for info in Zurich some of the Wohngennoschaft will only take 10% ethnic minorities !!!
And for good reason.

Tom

P.S. What are Wohngennoschaft?

And is it singular, or plural?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 18.06.2017, 23:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Religious discrimination [in housing? ]

Quote:
View Post
One of the applications we filled out recently asked for "Konfession"...
Just tell them what you left under the floorboards of your previous flat.

I think that's what they mean, anyway...
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 19.06.2017, 00:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,098
Groaned at 67 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 10,313 Times in 4,223 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religious discrimination [in housing? ]

Quote:
View Post
One of the applications we filled out recently asked for "Konfession"...

Can't help but think that if they're asking, they must find some type of tenants more desirable than others. Otherwise why ask at all?

(This was in ZH city btw)
An elderly Swiss man explained to me that in his youth the pool of first names was much smaller, so that it was very common for a class of children to have several girls called Maria, Elisabeth and Magdalena (or variations thereof) and several boys called Max, Johannes and Ulrich. With fewer new settlers in their town, their family names were more likely to come from a certain smaller pool, too. With lesser mobility than nowadays, the "Heimatort" (a special Swiss concept, meaning the citizenship of one's municipality of origin) was always the same, too.

Therefore, it was necessary to distinguish the children and the adults from others with the same names. Historically, one's "Konfession" (= religious affiliation) like one's profession, or the business skill of one's father, could be used as an additional identifier, e.g. Maria Keller, born 1895, daughter of Hans Keller, miller, a Roman Catholic of Lucerne.

Besides that, in his times it was not done to marry "across the religious divide", i.e. no Catholic would [be allowed to] marry a member of the Reformed Church and vice versa, so best to know it right from the start.

Some forms still have this question as a hangover from those times.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #68  
Old 19.06.2017, 09:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,032
Groaned at 348 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 10,388 Times in 5,490 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religious discrimination [in housing? ]

Quote:
View Post
An elderly Swiss man explained to me that in his youth the pool of first names was much smaller, so that it was very common for a class of children to have several girls called Maria, Elisabeth and Magdalena (or variations thereof) and several boys called Max, Johannes and Ulrich. With fewer new settlers in their town, their family names were more likely to come from a certain smaller pool, too. With lesser mobility than nowadays, the "Heimatort" (a special Swiss concept, meaning the citizenship of one's municipality of origin) was always the same, too.

Therefore, it was necessary to distinguish the children and the adults from others with the same names. Historically, one's "Konfession" (= religious affiliation) like one's profession, or the business skill of one's father, could be used as an additional identifier, e.g. Maria Keller, born 1895, daughter of Hans Keller, miller, a Roman Catholic of Lucerne.

Besides that, in his times it was not done to marry "across the religious divide", i.e. no Catholic would [be allowed to] marry a member of the Reformed Church and vice versa, so best to know it right from the start.
Sorry but I think that's nonsense.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 19.06.2017, 09:31
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,237
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,933 Times in 4,177 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Religious discrimination [in housing? ]

Quote:
View Post
Try doing a black mass in the garden on a Sunday morning.


As long as you don't use the power saw to dismember anything and muffle any screaming so you don't make too much noise, you should be fine, no?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry but I think that's nonsense.
Which bit?! You could easily ascribe some parts, indeed most, of the UK to that description in living (elderly) memory. For Switzerland which was (and in some cases is) still relatively backwards from society development point of view, I could well believe the story from an elderly Swiss man.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Religious / Ethnic violence in Nigeria donavir International affairs/politics 28 17.10.2014 18:37
Living in a Religious Dominated Place jerallie Daily life 166 10.05.2012 20:28
Housing agents / Sites for Housing in Sierre ganesh80 Housing in general 1 25.10.2010 12:58
What do non-religious people do on religious holidays? Bell Other/general 61 09.10.2009 20:37
Religious discrimination by SWISS. Canadian_dude Complaints corner 90 03.08.2009 15:46


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0