Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.07.2017, 16:39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Irinah has no particular reputation at present
Advice on washing machine needed

Hello everyone!
We are just about to order a washing machine online. One of the lowest prices is for a Novamatic machine. Is this brand good? Has anybody used these machines?
Thank you in advance,
Irina
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.07.2017, 17:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 7,294
Groaned at 238 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 9,368 Times in 5,022 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

Look it up on the internet...for each model of any given brand there are tons of reviews.

But remember, cheap is a bit risky.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.07.2017, 18:41
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 1,722
Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,173 Times in 1,048 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

Novamatic is the just label that Füst uses for 'its' white goods it buys in from its various suppliers (Bauknecht, Electrolux etc. etc.).
I'd simply say that if the price is right, the features are what you need and the guarantee is good, then it should be OK.
I've had no problems with service from Füst (yet).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank me.anon for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 07.07.2017, 19:33
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 24,832
Groaned at 1,443 Times in 1,114 Posts
Thanked 28,628 Times in 13,687 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

That said, generally Novamatic stuff is good, at least in my experience.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.07.2017, 21:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 61
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 26 Posts
moscatel has earned some respectmoscatel has earned some respect
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

Have a look at the deals posted by Fust in Ricardo. They are generally exhibition units, brand new and at very good prices.

https://www.ricardo.ch/online-shop/fust-ag/?
CategoryNr=40374&SellerNickName=Fust-AG
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.07.2017, 21:39
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,035
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,122 Times in 2,118 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

You should also have a look on Toppreise.ch as well. You can select by size you need, brand, performance etc.

You can also see the price history of the product.

Worthwhile having a look rather than just looking at Fust's website for one of their products. I personally find Fust to be quite expensive.

Link in DE: http://www.toppreise.ch/grp1_467.html?view=ngf&def=33

Link in EN: http://en.toppreise.ch/grp1_467.html?view=ngf&def=33

Last edited by Verbier; 07.07.2017 at 21:40. Reason: Giving the link in EN as well
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.07.2017, 23:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 2,941
Groaned at 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,664 Times in 1,647 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

Can I just chime in and point out something that might be inapplicable in your case (hard to tell as there's zero info in your profile and this is your one and only post); if you're living in rented accomodation then you are not allowed to install a washing machine without written permission from your landlord/agency.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08.07.2017, 09:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 7,294
Groaned at 238 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 9,368 Times in 5,022 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

Quote:
View Post
Can I just chime in and point out something that might be inapplicable in your case (hard to tell as there's zero info in your profile and this is your one and only post); if you're living in rented accomodation then you are not allowed to install a washing machine without written permission from your landlord/agency.
Does that depend on the canton?
Speaking in general, if OP lives in an apt. with own laundry room then she doesn't need any approval. Though in this case it doesn't make any sense to look for a cheap replacement of what one already got with the rental agreement.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08.07.2017, 11:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 2,941
Groaned at 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,664 Times in 1,647 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

Quote:
View Post
Does that depend on the canton?
Speaking in general, if OP lives in an apt. with own laundry room then she doesn't need any approval. Though in this case it doesn't make any sense to look for a cheap replacement of what one already got with the rental agreement.
I don't think so, several people from various cantons have asked before about fitting a machine in their apartment and have been told to ask permission first.

If the OP lives in an apartment with her own laundry room then it would already be fitted with a washing machine, so the question is moot, surely? It's not her job to replace the machine, it's the owners.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10.07.2017, 10:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 7,294
Groaned at 238 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 9,368 Times in 5,022 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

Quote:
View Post
I don't think so, several people from various cantons have asked before about fitting a machine in their apartment and have been told to ask permission first.

If the OP lives in an apartment with her own laundry room then it would already be fitted with a washing machine, so the question is moot, surely? It's not her job to replace the machine, it's the owners.
Unless the owner will replace it with the same brand, they usually do. I, for instance, would replace our Zug fridge at our cost if only was possible, but it's built-in kind of furniture so not much to be done in this case.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10.07.2017, 11:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 2,941
Groaned at 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 3,664 Times in 1,647 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

Quote:
View Post
Unless the owner will replace it with the same brand, they usually do. I, for instance, would replace our Zug fridge at our cost if only was possible, but it's built-in kind of furniture so not much to be done in this case.
That would be your personal choice though, not what is the norm.
And if you did so without asking (and receiving) the owners consent they would be within their rights to insist it was changed for what was originally there when you leave.
These things are often negotiable, but a tenant should take nothing for granted.

Anyway, the OP hadn't been back so they're clearly not that interested.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11.11.2018, 16:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Bern
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
happylucky has made some interesting contributions
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

Dear All,

does anyone recommend some great washing machines? Which are the best websites to buy to find good offers?

Which are the things I should be aware before selecting one? I would appreciate very much your opinions / advices / hope i would have known before buying my washing machine kind of things.

Thank you in advance. Have a great Sunday.

Greetings...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11.11.2018, 16:54
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7,627
Groaned at 276 Times in 225 Posts
Thanked 8,167 Times in 4,110 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

Quote:
View Post
Dear All,

does anyone recommend some great washing machines? Which are the best websites to buy to find good offers?

Which are the things I should be aware before selecting one? I would appreciate very much your opinions / advices / hope i would have known before buying my washing machine kind of things.

Thank you in advance. Have a great Sunday.

Greetings...
Quote:
View Post
You should also have a look on Toppreise.ch as well. You can select by size you need, brand, performance etc.

You can also see the price history of the product.
A lot depends on what your requirements are. What do you currently have and like about it or miss?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11.11.2018, 17:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6,438
Groaned at 220 Times in 168 Posts
Thanked 13,577 Times in 4,629 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

Keep an eye on shipping and installation costs. These are often not included in the price.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11.11.2018, 18:18
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,586
Groaned at 31 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,169 Times in 686 Posts
robBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputation
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

Quote:
View Post
Dear All,

does anyone recommend some great washing machines? Which are the best websites to buy to find good offers?

Which are the things I should be aware before selecting one? I would appreciate very much your opinions / advices / hope i would have known before buying my washing machine kind of things.

Thank you in advance. Have a great Sunday.

Greetings...

Here are the top ten: https://www.topten.ch/private/products/washing_machines
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11.11.2018, 19:57
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,360
Groaned at 117 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,742 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

Quote:
View Post
Dear All,

does anyone recommend some great washing machines? Which are the best websites to buy to find good offers?

Which are the things I should be aware before selecting one? I would appreciate very much your opinions / advices / hope i would have known before buying my washing machine kind of things.

Thank you in advance. Have a great Sunday.

Greetings...
  • Do you want a top-loader or a front loader?
  • How much space do you have where you want to place it (remember some move a bit when spinning - mine doesn't though)?
  • Are you renting? Do you need a permission to get one?
  • Are electricity- and water connections already there or can you get an adaption to the sink pipe? (= Is the machine close enough?)
  • How many kilos should it be able to handle? It's not good when they are half empty most of the time. Overloading is not a good idea either.
  • How fast should it be able to spin? 1500 was a must for me.

Once you figured all that out - price
__________________
never ever make assumptions
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11.11.2018, 20:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,329
Groaned at 23 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 20,638 Times in 6,617 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

Another question is how many loads per week do you usually do.

High end, middle end - didn't matter, none of my machines lasted more than three years. Finally a technician explained to me that the expected life span of a home machine was based on 4 loads per week. I was doing significantly more than that, hence my machines dying early on me.

I finally bought a 'semi-pro' machine, one that is made to be more robust than is usual for a household machine, but still fairly affordable. (Professional machines are shockingly expensive here.)

The machine I am currently using has passed the four year mark, thumbs pressed...

If you don't do that much laundry then this is not likely to be an issue for you.

---


Once you have done your research and decided on a brand and model, you might also consider looking at buying from smaller firms who are partners with the manufacturer. These are usually found via the manufacturer's website. While initially these might appear more expensive than what you can buy via the large white goods retailers, most small suppliers will give a very nice discount - 30-40%.

An advantage of dealing with the local supplier is these are often more responsive to repairs and other customer needs. (The local guy will show up within a week, often sooner, whereas going through the big white goods retailer meant 6 weeks for a repair appointment.)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
This user groans at meloncollie for this post:
  #18  
Old 11.11.2018, 22:18
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 986
Groaned at 14 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 571 Times in 342 Posts
Landers has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of many
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

I couldn't believe the price of machines when I came to Switzerland. I bought a relatively cheap Beko showroom model from MediaMarkt and took it home using the van I had rented from Ikea. I needed a machine which was not as deep as usual so my choice was limited. Five years on and it's still fine.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11.11.2018, 23:16
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,360
Groaned at 117 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,742 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Advice on washing machine needed

I have an Electrolux - and I'm quite sure it was from FUST - for 18 years now.
Looks like new, works like new and doesn't even vibrate much when spinning.
The loudest thing about it is still the beeper when it's done.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11.11.2018, 23:24
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Bern
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
happylucky has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
A lot depends on what your requirements are. What do you currently have and like about it or miss?
Thank you very much roegner.

Sorry that I did not mention about it. We have never had one and always used the wash machine in the common area of the building. For this reason, I would like to chose a right one as we cannot change often.

Have a good night.

Thank you very much robBob for the link and reply.

I already seen this link but I did not understand on what terms the top ten has been selected. Do you know about it? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
View Post
  • Do you want a top-loader or a front loader?
  • How much space do you have where you want to place it (remember some move a bit when spinning - mine doesn't though)?
  • Are you renting? Do you need a permission to get one?
  • Are electricity- and water connections already there or can you get an adaption to the sink pipe? (= Is the machine close enough?)
  • How many kilos should it be able to handle? It's not good when they are half empty most of the time. Overloading is not a good idea either.
  • How fast should it be able to spin? 1500 was a must for me.

Once you figured all that out - price
1. Front loader
2. Have space meant for the washing machine in the bathroom. Dryer machine must be place on top of the washing machine.
3. It is a rental apartment and we have to buy as there exists no common wash area.
4. Everything is there meaning electricity, tap, water outlet. It is a very new building
5. Honestly no clue about the kilos but about the spin i remember that i was washing always at 30degrees and 1000 spin even though the maximum was 1400.

I asked all the questions myself but still unable to decide because of lots of choice and greater price differences between each of them. I appreciate very much every reply of all and your valuable time to help me.

Quote:
View Post
Keep an eye on shipping and installation costs. These are often not included in the price.
Thank you a lot k_and_e. I appreciate very much your reply.

Greetings

Quote:
View Post
Another question is how many loads per week do you usually do.

High end, middle end - didn't matter, none of my machines lasted more than three years. Finally a technician explained to me that the expected life span of a home machine was based on 4 loads per week. I was doing significantly more than that, hence my machines dying early on me.

I finally bought a 'semi-pro' machine, one that is made to be more robust than is usual for a household machine, but still fairly affordable. (Professional machines are shockingly expensive here.)

The machine I am currently using has passed the four year mark, thumbs pressed...

If you don't do that much laundry then this is not likely to be an issue for you.

---


Once you have done your research and decided on a brand and model, you might also consider looking at buying from smaller firms who are partners with the manufacturer. These are usually found via the manufacturer's website. While initially these might appear more expensive than what you can buy via the large white goods retailers, most small suppliers will give a very nice discount - 30-40%.

An advantage of dealing with the local supplier is these are often more responsive to repairs and other customer needs. (The local guy will show up within a week, often sooner, whereas going through the big white goods retailer meant 6 weeks for a repair appointment.)
Thank you very much for your detailed reply and valuable time taken to help me. I appreciate very much!

I was washing 3loads per one month which is less than a load / week.

I would like to buy a good machine which is robust that way the money will be worth it.

I asked few people like electrician and sales guys who told me V-Zug and Miele are very good.

Regarding the discounts from the list price, it is true that they give 45% of discount from the list price. This is for V-Zug from Sanitas Troesch. I found out this info just by chance when I was window shopping,

Could you please tell me what machine did you buy and where did you buy it?

You mean local supplier is like Mediamarkt and Fust?

Thank you once again.

Greetings

Quote:
View Post
I couldn't believe the price of machines when I came to Switzerland. I bought a relatively cheap Beko showroom model from MediaMarkt and took it home using the van I had rented from Ikea. I needed a machine which was not as deep as usual so my choice was limited. Five years on and it's still fine.
Thank you very much Landers for your reply and valuable time.

In your case, I see that the choice was limited that helps big time. Very glad for you.

Good night.

Greetings

Quote:
View Post
I have an Electrolux - and I'm quite sure it was from FUST - for 18 years now.
Looks like new, works like new and doesn't even vibrate much when spinning.
The loudest thing about it is still the beeper when it's done.
It seems that you are happy with your Electrolux machine.

What is your opinion about this Electrolux model from Fust:

https://www.fust.ch/fr/p/maison/lave...000000810.html

Thank you in advance.

Greetings

Last edited by 3Wishes; 12.11.2018 at 16:57. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What these buttons on washing machine mean ? dreamcatcher General off-topic 17 20.02.2014 21:23
Schwyz: English Speaking Plumber Needed - Washing Machine Preperations clone000 Housing in general 6 26.07.2011 10:43
Washing machine on 6th floor Elenita182 Complaints corner 8 16.09.2010 02:32
washing machine broken... on friday... Ouchboy Complaints corner 10 17.07.2010 23:26
Is it really forbidden to use the washing machine on Sundays? Jmavatar Other/general 21 14.04.2008 01:15


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0