Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.02.2018, 12:40
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Vaud
Posts: 19
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
lordzsolt has no particular reputation at present
Apartment entry fee

So I have finally gotten my own apartment

However on the orange slip for the first month's rent, there's an "Forfait entrée" of 290 CHF. Considering it's a decent amount of money, I was wondering what exactly is this entry fee for?

I know they have to change the letter box + some other name plates but does that cost that much?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.02.2018, 13:18
ivank's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,100
Groaned at 73 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,016 Posts
ivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apartment entry fee

Is it in the contract? If not, I don't think you have to pay it, I'd just totally ignore it

Quote:
View Post
I know they have to change the letter box + some other name plates but does that cost that much?
Not even close, 40-50 Fr tops for a couple of engraved nameplates
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ivank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.02.2018, 13:26
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 210
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 108 Times in 66 Posts
DL21 has become a little unpopular
Re: Apartment entry fee

deposit for keys i would think. and that's even with my non existent french.

what i don't understand is why you ask here instead of asking the person who sent the bill????

surely life is full of minor queries that don't all need to be dumped on a forum?

Last edited by DL21; 14.02.2018 at 13:38.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14.02.2018, 13:30
ivank's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,100
Groaned at 73 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,016 Posts
ivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apartment entry fee

Quote:
View Post
deposit for keys i would think. and that's even with my non existent french.
Deposit for keys and all other damages should be 3 monthly rent and not a rappen more, paid into a special locked account.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14.02.2018, 13:37
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 210
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 108 Times in 66 Posts
DL21 has become a little unpopular
Re: Apartment entry fee

Quote:
View Post
I'd just totally ignore it
great advice! i'm sure that will end well.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank DL21 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 14.02.2018, 13:42
ivank's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,100
Groaned at 73 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,016 Posts
ivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apartment entry fee

If it's not in the contract, you don't owe the money, it's as simple as that, and you can just ignore it and pay only what is owed

Now, if you're not sure and don't trust yourself to read and understand all details of the contract, then a better course of action would be to email the company and ask them what the f**k the charge is for and where does the contract say you have to pay it
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14.02.2018, 13:44
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 210
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 108 Times in 66 Posts
DL21 has become a little unpopular
Re: Apartment entry fee

that's not quite the same advice as 'totally ignore it'....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14.02.2018, 13:47
ivank's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,100
Groaned at 73 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,016 Posts
ivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apartment entry fee

Yes it's not, the advice was "if it's not in the contract..."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14.02.2018, 13:50
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Vaud
Posts: 19
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
lordzsolt has no particular reputation at present
Re: Apartment entry fee

So I've re-read the contracts.

While the rental contract doesn't mention these, the form I applied with for the apartment has this on it:

Quote:
A la conclusion d’un bail d’habitation, CHF 200.- (TVA en plus) vous seront facturés à titre de frais de dossier et CHF 70.- (TVA en plus) pour les frais de plaquettes. Les frais de dossier s'élèvent à CHF 100.- (TVA en plus) pour la conclusion d'un bail de stationnement isolé.
So it's 200 + TVA administration fees (basically a "f**k you for making us work" fee) and 70 + TVA for the mailbox and other platelets.

Last edited by lordzsolt; 14.02.2018 at 14:08.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14.02.2018, 14:09
ivank's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,100
Groaned at 73 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,016 Posts
ivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apartment entry fee

Then I'm afraid you're shafted for agreeing to these ripoff rates. Next time read what you're signing, strike out the parts you don't like - it's totally fine to do that, but might slightly lower your chances of getting the contract if they can find another sucker who signs as is
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ivank for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 14.02.2018, 14:23
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Vaud
Posts: 19
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
lordzsolt has no particular reputation at present
Re: Apartment entry fee

Quote:
View Post
Then I'm afraid you're shafted for agreeing to these ripoff rates. Next time read what you're signing, strike out the parts you don't like - it's totally fine to do that, but might slightly lower your chances of getting the contract if they can find another sucker who signs as is
Yeah, don't worry, I read everything I sign (they were super confused when I told them I want to take home the rental lease and bring it back signed the next day). However this wasn't on that form, but on one of the 20 other I signed when applying for apartments and I forgot about it


As for the striking out part, thanks for the advice. I'll try doing it next time I'm less desperate .

I guess this time I'm fine being the sucker since I really wanted this apartment as it has nice benefits like being 10 minutes walk from my workplace and such
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14.02.2018, 14:27
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 1,881
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 3,439 Times in 1,129 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apartment entry fee

Quote:
View Post
70 + TVA for the mailbox and other platelets.
A long long time ago, I moved to Switzerland. I rented an apartment. They then sent me the bill for 70 chfs for the future name tags for the door bell/mailbox.

I looked at that crap and thought: is this a joke?

I called the local "tag-maker" (which happens to be the shoemaker) and he told me it costs 30-40chf (still ridiculous, but hey, it's 50% off already). So I told the landlord company I'd get the plates myself.


"You are not allowed!" - they almost screamed on the phone.
"Why not?"
"Because you might bring the wrong format! And it won't match the rest of the building!"
"I can assure you it will match. I will take the old ones with me, and do them in the same place you do them."
"ES IST VERBOTEN!"

That, ladies and gentlemen, was my first clue that something was rotten in the state of Den... Zürich.
__________________

Fighting for Pluto's liberation from the Dwarf League since 2006 @(°.°)=@)x.X)' ' '

Last edited by Helm; 14.02.2018 at 15:07.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Helm for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 14.02.2018, 14:40
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 210
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 108 Times in 66 Posts
DL21 has become a little unpopular
Re: Apartment entry fee

i don't know how you people survive up there!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 14.02.2018, 15:07
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 7,768
Groaned at 64 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 11,193 Times in 5,087 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apartment entry fee

Quote:
View Post
So I've re-read the contracts.

While the rental contract doesn't mention these, the form I applied with for the apartment has this on it:
Quote:
A la conclusion d’un bail d’habitation, CHF 200.- (TVA en plus) vous seront facturés à titre de frais de dossier et CHF 70.- (TVA en plus) pour les frais de plaquettes. Les frais de dossier s'élèvent à CHF 100.- (TVA en plus) pour la conclusion d'un bail de stationnement isolé.
So it's 200 + TVA administration fees (basically a "f**k you for making us work" fee) and 70 + TVA for the mailbox and other platelets.
Do you have some spare time and joy of doing things complicated?
Step 1 ) Get ASLOCA membership. (optional, but even a good idea when you do not do the following steps)
Step 2) Do not pay the bill
Step 3) Pay it into a special account with the local rental court.
Step 4) Go to arbitration
Step 5) Win, hopefully, and share your story

It is the very first time I hear about such a contract concluding fee. I do not know if it is legal and enforceable according to Swiss law, but it looks quit surprising, unusual, and onesided. I personally, because such a fee is so odd and out of the ordinary, would challenge it and bring it to the rental court.
__________________
PLAYER 1 ENTER YOUR NAME:_
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 14.02.2018, 15:51
ivank's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,100
Groaned at 73 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,016 Posts
ivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apartment entry fee

It does sound unorthodox to me too, but the company has a case: the guy signed off on a contract with this fee (application is contract too). It's not entirely unheard of: some companies (garages, construction) do charge to give a quote.

There's freedom of contract, if laws don't forbid it it's generally allowed. So what you'll be paying lawyers and court to find out is if there any law which prohibits such a fee in this context. There's a fair chance there isn't and that you'd just waste a ton of money. There is a law that the tenant doesn't owe any fees except damages when moving out, but to the best of my knowledge nothing about concluding a contract
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 14.02.2018, 15:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 2,149
Groaned at 124 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,035 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apartment entry fee

Quote:
View Post
Do you have some spare time and joy of doing things complicated?
Step 1 ) Get ASLOCA membership. (optional, but even a good idea when you do not do the following steps)
Step 2) Do not pay the bill
Step 3) Pay it into a special account with the local rental court.
Step 4) Go to arbitration
Step 5) Win, hopefully, and share your story

It is the very first time I hear about such a contract concluding fee. I do not know if it is legal and enforceable according to Swiss law, but it looks quit surprising, unusual, and onesided. I personally, because such a fee is so odd and out of the ordinary, would challenge it and bring it to the rental court.
Well at least pay the part that makes sense, like the 70,- for the name tags.

Does ASLOCA take on problems that existed before membership?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14.02.2018, 16:07
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 7,768
Groaned at 64 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 11,193 Times in 5,087 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apartment entry fee

Quote:
View Post
There's freedom of contract, if laws don't forbid it it's generally allowed. So what you'll be paying lawyers and court to find out is if there any law which prohibits such a fee in this context. There's a fair chance there isn't and that you'd just waste a ton of money. There is a law that the tenant doesn't owe any fees except damages when moving out, but to the best of my knowledge nothing about concluding a contract
No lawyer needed and before rental court there is a arbitration/mediation which does not cost anything. In the worst case it was a waste of time. But at least you also wasted the time of the landlord.

Quote:
View Post
Well at least pay the part that makes sense, like the 70,- for the name tags.

Does ASLOCA take on problems that existed before membership?
Right, pay what is is clear.

ASLOCA will at least be able to answer if this CHF 200 fee is normal and if they have already successfully challenged such a fee in the past.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 14.02.2018, 16:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Vaud
Posts: 19
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
lordzsolt has no particular reputation at present
Re: Apartment entry fee

Quote:
View Post
Do you have some spare time and joy of doing things complicated?
Step 1 ) Get ASLOCA membership. (optional, but even a good idea when you do not do the following steps)
Step 2) Do not pay the bill
Step 3) Pay it into a special account with the local rental court.
Step 4) Go to arbitration
Step 5) Win, hopefully, and share your story

It is the very first time I hear about such a contract concluding fee. I do not know if it is legal and enforceable according to Swiss law, but it looks quit surprising, unusual, and onesided. I personally, because such a fee is so odd and out of the ordinary, would challenge it and bring it to the rental court.
While I do enjoy these legal battles, I think I will pass on this one.
Bit new and unfamiliar with things, the amount of time that would be spent with it plus time spent researching everything is worth more than that for me.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 14.02.2018, 19:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 5,126
Groaned at 159 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 6,537 Times in 3,358 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apartment entry fee

Quote:
View Post
It does sound unorthodox to me too, but the company has a case: the guy signed off on a contract with this fee (application is contract too).
Nope, an application is an invitation to make an offer.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 14.02.2018, 19:30
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 108
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 83 Times in 46 Posts
LuganoPirate has earned the respect of manyLuganoPirate has earned the respect of manyLuganoPirate has earned the respect of many
Re: Apartment entry fee

I can only speak from my own experience as a landlord of quite a few apartments. We never charge an entry fee. And we use a standard rental contract.

If it's an annual rental we pay for the Letter Box tag, about CHF 30 and for the doorbell, CHF 10. For the apartment door another CHF 20 for a plastic one. If it's a short term rental of 3 months we have generic tags which show the apartment number, so the tenants address would be:

John Smith
Apt. 123
Via xxx
1234 Town

Never been a problem and the admin company we use who handle about 800 buildings also never charge for the name tags. But that's me and it's Ticino, but when we once rented in Zug we never had to pay for the tags either. So I think it's quite unusual and I see no reason why you can't get them made yourself other than the management company looking to make a few extra francs!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Agency Fee for Apartment Lease Signing Enohzee Housing in general 2 19.05.2015 11:41
[Clubs] no entry fee - Basel milsam Entertainment & dining 17 17.11.2014 11:54
Additional fee for entry visa accredition zizi Permits/visas/government 2 21.07.2013 20:22
500chf Apartment cancellation fee (Pre construction)? stef3232 Housing in general 41 08.06.2013 22:55
Visa Procedure Multiple Entry Visa/ Single Entry/ Double Entry? Nasrin Madrid-Abraham Permits/visas/government 1 24.01.2013 11:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0