English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Housing in general (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/)
-   -   who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain? (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/280293-who-pays-cleaning-hair-clogged-drain.html)

lolla 20.02.2018 13:24

who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Hello

called the regie who then called the plumber to check. Apparently, it was a hair problem. Is the regie responsible for this payment or is it us?:confused:

newtoswitz 20.02.2018 13:31

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Unless the reggie broke in and put it there, then obviously you are :rolleyes:

Chuff 20.02.2018 13:31

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
If it is your drain internal to your apartment, and your hair, then you pay. Your home insurance should also usually cover this.

Guest 20.02.2018 13:33

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
It will be your responsibility.

In future you could buy a plughole unblocker - you can pick them up at the supermarket. Something like this.

Or you can bend a wire coat hanger to a hook to pull it all out.

Saves the hassle of the plumber.

roegner 20.02.2018 13:36

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Or buy a small sieve that will collect the hair, will save you the hassle of having to clean the drain

EdwinNL 20.02.2018 13:39

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuff (Post 2912502)
If it is your drain internal to your apartment, and your hair, then you pay. Your home insurance should also usually cover this.

I doubt about the home insurance, this is an accident insurance and clogged up hair is all but an accident.

st2lemans 20.02.2018 13:43

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
It's normal maintenance, and your hair, your problem. :rolleyes:

Next question: I took a large dump, and now my toilet is clogged. Who pays the plumber? :p

Tom

EdwinNL 20.02.2018 13:54

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 2912514)
It's normal maintenance, and your hair, your problem. :rolleyes:

Next question: I took a large dump, and now my toilet is clogged. Who pays the plumber? :p

Tom

Have a present :)

https://cdn-eu-cf2.yottaa.net/55df7e...vesPink_60.jpg

lolla 20.02.2018 13:59

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 2912514)
It's normal maintenance, and your hair, your problem. :rolleyes:

Next question: I took a large dump, and now my toilet is clogged. Who pays the plumber? :p

Tom

:D:D:D

Oh..that's how it works......unless they were sure the dump was yours, you wouldn't have to pay!

When I first moved in, I already called the regie once to clear the drain..probably from the previous tenant! And I didn't have to pay..! Gotta watch out from now on then..

John_H 20.02.2018 14:31

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 2912514)
It's normal maintenance, and your hair, your problem. :rolleyes:

Next question: I took a large dump, and now my toilet is clogged. Who pays the plumber? :p

Tom

I had that very issue recently..
The kids told me the toilet was blocked.. I look and nothing obvious but on flushing, the water just fills up the bowl and empties after an hour or so.
I suspect that one of them has deposited something down there.. So I get out the plunger and set to work.

After 5 minutes of plunging the full bowl of water gurgled and disappeared.. Thinking i was a plumbing hero i stood up to claim my victory.. Only to notice that now the adjacent shower cubicle is ankle deep in excrement and toilet paper. I had plunged the poop the wrong way along the pipe I guess.

Mr Hanky was now bobbing up and down the shower drain..

Should I have called the landlord at this point?

newtoswitz 20.02.2018 14:34

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_H (Post 2912545)
I had that very issue recently..
The kids told me the toilet was blocked.. I look and nothing obvious but on flushing, the water just fills up the bowl and empties after an hour or so.
I suspect that one of them has deposited something down there.. So I get out the plunger and set to work.

After 5 minutes of plunging the full bowl of water gurgled and disappeared.. Thinking i was a plumbing hero i stood up to claim my victory.. Only to notice that now the adjacent shower cubicle is ankle deep in excrement and toilet paper. I had plunged the poop the wrong way along the pipe I guess.

Mr Hanky was now bobbing up and down the shower drain..

Should I have called the landlord at this point?

No, you buy another plunger to block the other drain while you're doing it.

John_H 20.02.2018 14:35

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by newtoswitz (Post 2912547)
No, you buy another plunger to block the other drain while you're doing it.

Me and the wife get a plunger each and play poop hockey across the bathroom?

Tom1234 20.02.2018 14:37

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
I stayed at a hotel in Pakistan once and when I flushed the loo, all the hotel's excrement and waste water came bubbling up into the bedroom via a grate in the floor.
Luckily my luggage was on the bed.

newtoswitz 20.02.2018 14:39

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_H (Post 2912549)
Me and the wife get a plunger each and play poop hockey across the bathroom?

Whatever turns you on :eek:

John_H 20.02.2018 14:43

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 2912551)
I stayed at a hotel in Pakistan once and when I flushed the loo, all the hotel's excrement and waste water came bubbling up into the bedroom via a grate in the floor.
Luckily my luggage was on the bed.

I'm pretty sure that what i faced came from my house.. small comfort when trying to clean up inside an enclosed cubicle - trying not to breathe or touch anything.

3Wishes 20.02.2018 17:09

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Side note since a friend just went through this - you're also (usually) responsible for any sink back-ups due to not scraping off food before you put dishes into the dishwasher. My friend had to pay the plumber not only by time but by meters of hose used to clear the blockage. ;)

Make sure to clean the filters regularly and to run the dishwasher with cleaning fluid (you can buy a bottle at any Migros or Coop) quarterly to dissolve the fats, etc. that may have built up.

Oh, and I use a sieve in the shower to collect my hair so less goes down the drain.

PaddyG 20.02.2018 17:17

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Living with 2 daughters with long hair, blocked shower plugs and sinks are a common occurence. Just take the thing apart and clean it yourself. It's not rocket science.

jbrady 20.02.2018 18:02

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
My wife is now a skinhead so hopefully I don"t get as many of these problems.
Spent the last 20 years unblocking showers, baths, toilets, washing machines and God knows what else.
I have built up a formidible arsenal of tools and chemicals to un-clog the spurious orifices that her hair has gravitated towards. Probably saved a fortune in Swiss plumbers and learned much. Main thing being that women do not listen when it comes to hair.

In my next reincarnation I will marry the frog!

J_T 20.02.2018 18:36

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Fun really begins when tree roots squeeze into the plumbing and grow right up into the toilet, bath and kitchen. Just happened to someone I know.

J2488 21.02.2018 10:12

Re: who pays for cleaning the hair clogged drain?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by John_H (Post 2912549)
Me and the wife get a plunger each and play poop hockey across the bathroom?

You kinky bugger, you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 2912551)
I stayed at a hotel in Pakistan once and when I flushed the loo, all the hotel's excrement and waste water came bubbling up into the bedroom via a grate in the floor.
Luckily my luggage was on the bed.

Did you have to pay additional for this service?

OP, you can get drain unblockers which may help you in future. They're usually around the cleaning equipment aisle.

The idea is that you pour half the bottle into the drain, leave it for 30mins or so, and the (caustic) cleaner dissolves everything (including hair) and frees up the drain. its got a pungent smell, but it works. Dont get it on your clothes though.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:17.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0