Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.03.2018, 15:48
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
callum has no particular reputation at present
Living around Geneva, Advice Neede

My parents will be moving to Geneva over the course of the next two months and do not really have any idea about the area or where to live.

Currently, they are looking at housing in Nyon, Morges, Coppet, and Gilly.

If anyone can share their experiences, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Cal
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22.03.2018, 16:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 4,019
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,612 Times in 2,012 Posts
McTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond reputeMcTAVGE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Living around Geneva, Advice Neede

Quote:
View Post
My parents will be moving to Geneva over the course of the next two months and do not really have any idea about the area or where to live.

Currently, they are looking at housing in Nyon, Morges, Coppet, and Gilly.

If anyone can share their experiences, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Cal

The towns you are quoting are in Canton Vaud and not Geneva, so which one is it they're moving to? Is it important for them to be within easy reach of the main train station / airport (in which case you need to look at Rive Droite of the lake) or not (in which case Rive Gauche, but more countryside and more expensive because all within 10 minutes reach of the lake. Once you tell us a bit more, we might be able to give a more targeted help.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22.03.2018, 17:27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
callum has no particular reputation at present
Re: Living around Geneva, Advice Neede

Apologies, meant Canton de Vaud region (:
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22.03.2018, 18:41
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,321
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,527 Times in 2,304 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Living around Geneva, Advice Neede

As McTavge asked. You need to give some more detail on "them" and what they ideally want (and need - minimum) in the way of location, type of accommodation, transportation (to where), budget etc . The answer and advice will change base on this.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22.03.2018, 18:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Nyon
Posts: 993
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,104 Times in 533 Posts
Rachel Moore has a reputation beyond reputeRachel Moore has a reputation beyond reputeRachel Moore has a reputation beyond reputeRachel Moore has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Living around Geneva, Advice Neede

and are they needing to school any children...are you still of school age?


Preference for an apartment or a house?


Will they be working or are they retired?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.03.2018, 19:35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
callum has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
As McTavge asked. You need to give some more detail on "them" and what they ideally want (and need - minimum) in the way of location, type of accommodation, transportation (to where), budget etc . The answer and advice will change base on this.
There in there late 50's, no kids anymore (:

Want a Scenic view, with a balcony, 3 beds, 2 bathrooms

Around 5K + parking and utilities

Will be commuting to work with a car

Quote:
View Post
and are they needing to school any children...are you still of school age?


Preference for an apartment or a house?


Will they be working or are they retired?
Prefer an apartment and still working, no school children

Last edited by 3Wishes; 23.03.2018 at 21:17. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22.03.2018, 19:44
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 17
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
dexterix has become a little unpopulardexterix has become a little unpopular
Re: Living around Geneva, Advice Neede

Quote:
View Post
There in there late 50's, no kids anymore (:

Want a Scenic view, with a balcony, 3 beds, 2 bathrooms

Around 5K + parking and utilities

Will be commuting to work with a car
I would advise Gilly, beautiful lakeview private houses that arr in a very quite area. You can search on homegate.ch or meet a house search agent in that area.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.03.2018, 20:13
Verbier's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lully VD
Posts: 4,321
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 4,527 Times in 2,304 Posts
Verbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond reputeVerbier has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Living around Geneva, Advice Neede

Quote:
View Post
There in there late 50's, no kids anymore (:

Want a Scenic view, with a balcony, 3 beds, 2 bathrooms

Around 5K + parking and utilities

Will be commuting to work with a car
Working WHERE?

This issue of 20 questions tends to wear down the support you have on EF. You need to do your part as well.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Verbier for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 23.03.2018, 16:54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
callum has no particular reputation at present
Re: Living around Geneva, Advice Neede

Quote:
View Post
Working WHERE?

This issue of 20 questions tends to wear down the support you have on EF. You need to do your part as well.
I guess the Newbie tag fits well (:

Dad will be commuting to Etoy. Would love to hear your thoughts Verbier!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23.03.2018, 17:04
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Romandie
Posts: 486
Groaned at 14 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 257 Times in 159 Posts
Miostar has earned some respectMiostar has earned some respect
Re: Living around Geneva, Advice Neede

Commuting from Verbier? Best not!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Miostar for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 23.03.2018, 18:02
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Nyon
Posts: 993
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,104 Times in 533 Posts
Rachel Moore has a reputation beyond reputeRachel Moore has a reputation beyond reputeRachel Moore has a reputation beyond reputeRachel Moore has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Living around Geneva, Advice Neede

Well based on work destination forget Coppet simply because access to the autoroute is too far away, especially with the morning traffic. Access is either way up at Chavannes or totally the opposite direction at the entrance to Geneva.


All others, Nyon, Gilly and Morges are very nice places, and all differ in size. As a Nyonnaise I am naturally biased but have every reason to be so.


Remaining with lake front towns, I would certainly also add Rolle to your list, Gilly on the other is what we would call un bled...or an insignificant hamlet that does not have a real town centre, something which may prove important for your parents regarding shops and train connectivity. What you may also find of interest, if your parents are into it, is that it is common with such distances around the lake area for people to bike (road racing bikes) to and from work, the lake road being nice and flat, we have a friend (51) who does Pully to Gland 2 to 3 times a week in the summer, certainly a 70+ km round trip!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Rachel Moore for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 23.03.2018, 21:02
TheSpouse's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Saussignac, France
Posts: 1,697
Groaned at 26 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 2,926 Times in 926 Posts
TheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Living around Geneva, Advice Neede

Cal, I think you are getting semi-vague responses because we are still a bit confused. If your parents are young enough to be working, why are they, themselves, not here asking the questions?

Maybe they just don't use the internet, or what? In any case, without more information, it is hard to recommend a place to live because we don't know what they like or need.

Nyon and Morges are comparable. Nyon is a tiny bit bigger but Morges is really close to Lausanne, which is a much larger city and offers a lot of restaurant options as well as theater and cultural events. What are your parents looking for, exactly?

If it is just a question of budget, then that is a different matter altogether. Again, we don't have enough info to really help you, I'm afraid.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TheSpouse for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 24.03.2018, 14:38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
callum has no particular reputation at present
Re: Living around Geneva, Advice Neede

Quote:
View Post
Well based on work destination forget Coppet simply because access to the autoroute is too far away, especially with the morning traffic. Access is either way up at Chavannes or totally the opposite direction at the entrance to Geneva.


All others, Nyon, Gilly and Morges are very nice places, and all differ in size. As a Nyonnaise I am naturally biased but have every reason to be so.


Remaining with lake front towns, I would certainly also add Rolle to your list, Gilly on the other is what we would call un bled...or an insignificant hamlet that does not have a real town centre, something which may prove important for your parents regarding shops and train connectivity. What you may also find of interest, if your parents are into it, is that it is common with such distances around the lake area for people to bike (road racing bikes) to and from work, the lake road being nice and flat, we have a friend (51) who does Pully to Gland 2 to 3 times a week in the summer, certainly a 70+ km round trip!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07.04.2018, 17:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
hundra has no particular reputation at present
Re: Living around Geneva, Advice Neede

Most of the small towns mentioned are nice, cosy but in my view not very vibrant. If that is what they are looking for then great. However, I would advocate Lausanne. Lots of culture, restaurants, music, theaters, opera etc. All the students give the city a nice atmosphere and every weekend there is something going on like festivals, city activities, not to mentioned the Wednesday/Saturday lovely farmers market. There is also a lovely beach area and promenade. Yes I am a bit biased as I live in Lausanne
By car or train its approx 20 min to Etoy, so easy to access.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
housing in general




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Importing pets - not sure if I'll be living in Geneva or FR. Any advice? _Mzungu Pet corner 0 13.04.2015 21:36
Wanted: Advice on costs [cost of living in Geneva area] BayernFan Daily life 21 10.12.2014 20:00
Living around Zurich Wiedikon swissrosalie Housing in general 11 13.05.2014 15:44
Race around the world [ Geneva to.......well... Geneva] grynch Swiss politics/news 21 24.02.2011 17:54


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0