Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.04.2018, 12:10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cottesloe, Australia
Posts: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Jodie S has no particular reputation at present
LUGANO - best areas to live

Hi all,
We are a young married couple with a 3 yr old daughter and we're going to be moving to Lugano. I am researching the best areas to live and am not sure which are considered to be the "nicest" areas - we are wanting somewhere that is safe, has a view of the lake, close-ish to Lugano city(we love to dine out, shop and want to explore the city more), preferably somewhere that has a café/shops close by and has a nice community spirit about it. Are there areas that I should avoid looking at? I have heard that Massagno is lovely - is this correct? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jodie S for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 17.04.2018, 13:49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: LOCARNO
Posts: 58
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 32 Times in 18 Posts
davesco has earned some respectdavesco has earned some respect
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

Massagno is nice and has a Park nearby for Children to play. We used to live in Paradiso up the Hill with a fantastic view to the city and lake before moving to Davesco which is a bit farther away but has the charm of a small Village.
I am sure Tom will be of more help as he still lives in Lugano or actually close to Lugano.

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank davesco for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 17.04.2018, 14:26
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,851
Groaned at 1,216 Times in 953 Posts
Thanked 25,972 Times in 12,425 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

How much do you want to spend?

Personally, we avoid Lugano itself like the plague, it's really gone downhill over the past 20 years.

All the stores we liked are gone, and parking and driving has become a nightmare.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 18.04.2018, 01:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: LOCARNO
Posts: 58
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 32 Times in 18 Posts
davesco has earned some respectdavesco has earned some respect
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

Quote:
View Post
How much do you want to spend?

Personally, we avoid Lugano itself like the plague, it's really gone downhill over the past 20 years.

All the stores we liked are gone, and parking and driving has become a nightmare.

Tom
I agree, reason why I will move to Locarno this summer. Still has that little town feel expect in summer when it is flooded with tourists.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank davesco for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 18.04.2018, 05:46
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cottesloe, Australia
Posts: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Jodie S has no particular reputation at present
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

Oh no! Have we chosen the wrong place? We were actually deciding between Lugano, Locarno, Lausanne and Zurich. We're not restricted by work, we just need to be relatively close to an international airport as my husband will still be traveling regularly for work. I realise Lugano and Locarno are Italian speaking, Lausanne is French speaking and Zurich is German speaking - this isn't too big an issue for us(I love languages, and we are all eager to learn).

Would Locarno or either of the other two be better options than Lugano?

In terms of budget, we would ideally like to keep rent under 7000CHF per month - we're looking for a 3 bed 2 bath with a lake view, which I know may be a bit of a stretch!

Thank you both so much for your input.

Jodie
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jodie S for this useful post:
This user groans at Jodie S for this post:
  #6  
Old 18.04.2018, 20:37
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 7,825
Groaned at 53 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 11,866 Times in 5,581 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

Quote:
View Post
...In terms of budget, we would ideally like to keep rent under 7000CHF per month - we're looking for a 3 bed 2 bath with a lake view, which I know may be a bit of a stretch!
Bold part mine. For real? That's a decent budget. I did a quick homegate search along Zurich's Cold Coast areas (which are supposed to be some of the most pricey) and found 39 properties that are at least 4 bedrooms, a handful of which have lake view.

This one is well below your budget: https://www.homegate.ch/rent/107624806

This one too: https://www.homegate.ch/rent/107658937

Here's a duplex for just over half of your budget: https://www.homegate.ch/rent/108300772

Would you prefer a whole house to yourself? At about 60% of your budget: https://www.homegate.ch/rent/108255844

And at the top end, how about a whole house and a private pool with your lake view? https://www.homegate.ch/rent/108093487

Cute villa with pool in Lugano is well within budget: https://www.homegate.ch/rent/107950080

I'd say you've got some nice options!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 18.04.2018, 21:18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ticino
Posts: 332
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 343 Times in 159 Posts
paizuri has earned some respectpaizuri has earned some respect
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

Quote:
View Post

In terms of budget, we would ideally like to keep rent under 7000CHF per month - we're looking for a 3 bed 2 bath with a lake view, which I know may be a bit of a stretch!
Jodie
Errrrr..... someone I know pays 1650 in Lugano with a lake view, 3 bedrooms, but sadly, only one bath.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank paizuri for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 18.04.2018, 21:22
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,851
Groaned at 1,216 Times in 953 Posts
Thanked 25,972 Times in 12,425 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

Quote:
View Post
Errrrr..... someone I know pays 1650 in Lugano with a lake view, 3 bedrooms, but sadly, only one bath.
Likewise.

But they gave it up as too expensive.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 18.04.2018, 21:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 1,229
Groaned at 222 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 963 Times in 548 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

Quote:
View Post
Oh no! Have we chosen the wrong place? We were actually deciding between Lugano, Locarno, Lausanne and Zurich. We're not restricted by work, we just need to be relatively close to an international airport as my husband will still be traveling regularly for work. I realise Lugano and Locarno are Italian speaking, Lausanne is French speaking and Zurich is German speaking - this isn't too big an issue for us(I love languages, and we are all eager to learn).

Would Locarno or either of the other two be better options than Lugano?

In terms of budget, we would ideally like to keep rent under 7000CHF per month - we're looking for a 3 bed 2 bath with a lake view, which I know may be a bit of a stretch!

Thank you both so much for your input.

Jodie
I think the posters above are exaggerating. Like old people who keep complaining about the "good old days".

I am not a resident of Lugano but I go there once and while and it's a very good town. It's safe, clean, beautiful, nice park, and the climate is the best in Switzerland. Traffic became worse during the last years due to the frontalieri but it's far from being compared to a big city traffic jam.

If an international airport is important, then I am not sure Lugano is the best. The biggest airport nearby Malpensa which is ~80km away, 1 hour by bus if I am not mistaken. Lausanne is a bit closer to the Geneva Airport but not by much. Zürich is the best city by far if being close to an airport is important.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Capo for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 19.04.2018, 15:27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lugano
Posts: 47
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 28 Times in 17 Posts
Carolyn7 is considered knowledgeableCarolyn7 is considered knowledgeableCarolyn7 is considered knowledgeable
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

I am a resident of Lugano and I like it a lot. I've been here 6 years so not long enough to talk about "the good old days"! It depends what you want, I suppose. I'm on the higher end of the age spectrum and not in need of an exciting night life! For me there are enough nice restaurants and grottos, and the LAC arts centre, for the few times I feel like going out at night. It's a beautiful location with lots of outdoor possibilities. People with young families seem to find it a very nice place to live. I haven't had a car since I moved here, and I do think the traffic is terrible - but then I thought the same thing where I lived before in Germany.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Carolyn7 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 19.04.2018, 15:44
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,011
Groaned at 75 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,317 Times in 1,577 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

Quote:
View Post
In terms of budget, we would ideally like to keep rent under 7000CHF per month - we're looking for a 3 bed 2 bath with a lake view, which I know may be a bit of a stretch!
With CHF7k budget for rent, I’d have to charge you for my comments!

CHF5.- per word! You owe me CHF100.- already! Wait CHF115.-! CHF125.-! Oh sod this!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank The_Love_Doctor for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 19.04.2018, 16:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cottesloe, Australia
Posts: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Jodie S has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
Bold part mine. For real? That's a decent budget. I did a quick homegate search along Zurich's Cold Coast areas (which are supposed to be some of the most pricey) and found 39 properties that are at least 4 bedrooms, a handful of which have lake view.

This one is well below your budget: https://www.homegate.ch/rent/107624806

This one too: https://www.homegate.ch/rent/107658937

Here's a duplex for just over half of your budget: https://www.homegate.ch/rent/108300772

Would you prefer a whole house to yourself? At about 60% of your budget: https://www.homegate.ch/rent/108255844

And at the top end, how about a whole house and a private pool with your lake view? https://www.homegate.ch/rent/108093487

Cute villa with pool in Lugano is well within budget: https://www.homegate.ch/rent/107950080

I'd say you've got some nice options!
This is why I was asking. I don't know anything about any of the areas these places are in - like I don't know which areas/suburbs in Lugano are the "best" areas. We don't want to live in the ghetto or an area that isn't great. We will be leaving our home here in Australia, where to be frank, life is great and pretty easy! We live in a nice big house with a pool, which isn't uncommon here. I just want to find out where would be a great spot to move our little family to.

The reason I had thought our budget possibly wouldn't get us what we were looking for was based on looking at properties in the areas that I had been told were the "best" areas in Lugano. Most of them have been 10000+ pm. We would obviously like to spend less than our budget, but I wasn't sure if it were possible in a good area. Are there any areas to avoid in Lugano?

Is the frontalieri like a border control? We visited Lugano about 18 months ago while we were in Italy and loved it. We only spent the day, but we thought it was beautiful! This, and the weather, are our main reasons that Lugano was at the top of our list.

Quote:
View Post
With CHF7k budget for rent, I’d have to charge you for my comments!

CHF5.- per word! You owe me CHF100.- already! Wait CHF115.-! CHF125.-! Oh sod this!
I see you live in Zug - what is Zug like to live in? Would you recommend it based on what we are looking for?

Please don't charge me

Quote:
View Post
I think the posters above are exaggerating. Like old people who keep complaining about the "good old days".

I am not a resident of Lugano but I go there once and while and it's a very good town. It's safe, clean, beautiful, nice park, and the climate is the best in Switzerland. Traffic became worse during the last years due to the frontalieri but it's far from being compared to a big city traffic jam.

If an international airport is important, then I am not sure Lugano is the best. The biggest airport nearby Malpensa which is ~80km away, 1 hour by bus if I am not mistaken. Lausanne is a bit closer to the Geneva Airport but not by much. Zürich is the best city by far if being close to an airport is important.
Quote:
View Post
I am a resident of Lugano and I like it a lot. I've been here 6 years so not long enough to talk about "the good old days"! It depends what you want, I suppose. I'm on the higher end of the age spectrum and not in need of an exciting night life! For me there are enough nice restaurants and grottos, and the LAC arts centre, for the few times I feel like going out at night. It's a beautiful location with lots of outdoor possibilities. People with young families seem to find it a very nice place to live. I haven't had a car since I moved here, and I do think the traffic is terrible - but then I thought the same thing where I lived before in Germany.
Thank you both! This is why I was asking - It's hard to decide on a place without knowing it or what it is really like. We like to go out for dinners and drinks etc but are well and truly over our clubbing days! We love anything to do with the water, that's why living close to the lake seems ideal - we live on the beach now and are there most days, so having the lake view will bring us some comfort, being so far from home.

1hr from the airport is fine, we're about that now

Last edited by 3Wishes; 20.04.2018 at 15:51. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 19.04.2018, 22:53
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,011
Groaned at 75 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,317 Times in 1,577 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

Quote:
View Post
I see you live in Zug - what is Zug like to live in? Would you recommend it based on what we are looking for?

Please don't charge me
It’s horrible here! Don’t bother!

Jokes aside, with your kind of budget you’ll be spoilt for choice but nobody is gonna get out of their way to point you in the right direction, frankly because less than 10% of people on here pay CHF7k/mth rent.

Your best bet is to consult a relocation agent, you get what you pay for at the end of the day but then again best things in life are free... i digress but hey it’s your bill that’s going up!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank The_Love_Doctor for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 19.04.2018, 23:00
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 22,851
Groaned at 1,216 Times in 953 Posts
Thanked 25,972 Times in 12,425 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

Quote:
View Post
less than 10 0.1% of people on here pay CHF7k/mth rent
FTFY.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 20.04.2018, 07:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 4,321
Groaned at 98 Times in 67 Posts
Thanked 6,202 Times in 2,320 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

SFr7000? I never knew such poverty existed...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 20.04.2018, 07:24
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 654
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 874 Times in 378 Posts
heckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

Quote:
View Post
I see you live in Zug - what is Zug like to live in? Would you recommend it based on what we are looking for?

Please don't charge me
I used to live in Kanton Zug (moved for study). Given your budget (and making an assumption about income) I’d definitely have a look at Zug - it has some of the lowest taxes in Switzerland.

Nice well organized and very well funded public services, easy train or drive to the airport. Train direct to Milan from Zug for the odd Italian lunch.

House with a pool would be unusual....but you can swim in the lake. I really miss that opportunity here in Bern. With your budget, you might find a lakefront house (not many of them, and often owned, not rented). Certainly you can find a lakeside place.

Has an international school, a selection of restaurants and bars. Not the highlight of Swiss cuisine, but plenty for „oh, let’s eat out tonight“.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank heckenhocker for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 20.04.2018, 08:05
olygirl's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: d' Innerschwiiz
Posts: 5,429
Groaned at 235 Times in 156 Posts
Thanked 11,907 Times in 3,632 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

First off, let's look at the facts first:

1) Sfr. 7,000 is around 9,300 Australian dollars.
2) Malpensa airport is in Italy and crossing the border can be murder at times
3) You'll find more English speakers near Zürich, Zug and Geneva
4) You'll find better educational institutions in Zürich, Zug and Geneva
5) Lugano to Zürich is two hours by train

My personal opinion:
- move to the Zürich/Zug area, which are both on a lake and have lovely views
- It only takes 30-45 minutes by train from the airport to your home
- You can vacation anytime in Lugano
- I think you'll be less lonely in Zürich/Zug due to all the English speakers available in the area

You're obviously financially well-off (unless you're a troll or you've got your math wrong) and have the resources to move quickly if you don't like the area you live in. Unfortunately, the tax situation is different in each area you've suggested, which is something you may also want to take into consideration.

You're lucky to have that kind of money which provides you the freedom to move where ever you want.

Good luck
__________________
Faith isn't about everything turning out okay. Faith is about being okay no matter how things turn out.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank olygirl for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 20.04.2018, 08:40
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,011
Groaned at 75 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,317 Times in 1,577 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

Should this be moved to the “First world problems” thread?

“I have CHF7k.- to spend on rent... where is best to live?”

Assuming we’re not being trolled of course... Australlia must be the new Switzerland!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank The_Love_Doctor for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 20.04.2018, 08:50
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,011
Groaned at 75 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 3,317 Times in 1,577 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

Quote:
View Post
FTFY.

Tom

I’m not sure CHF7k would be in the top 0.1%... There are apartments in Zug / Zürich in very good location for that kind of price and my impression is that for houses you would pay several multiples of that.

So based on this casual observation alone, I would say it’s highly unusual but probably not in the top 0.1% of rents being paid.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 20.04.2018, 09:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 24
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
newmember has no particular reputation at present
Re: LUGANO - best areas to live

Go for Cassarate and if you even want better go further towards east (Castagnola). Lugano is a small city you can always dine out even though locals prefer to spend their money in Italian border!!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank newmember for this useful post:
This user groans at newmember for this post:
Reply

Tags
lugano




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best areas to live in Zurich with kids Silo Education 5 05.02.2017 01:32
Which areas to live in? lz06 Housing in general 4 04.05.2011 08:24
Areas to live near Neuhasen kamuk Housing in general 3 18.11.2008 16:01
Geneva areas? best places to live? essex Housing in general 7 10.07.2008 15:17
Areas to live on a budget karan.clayton Other/general 12 03.03.2008 18:44


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0