Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10.08.2018, 13:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Bern
Posts: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
MM Abdelhafez has no particular reputation at present
Cleaning the walls

I am leaving the apartment soon and I would like to know if I have to repaint the wall or there is a cleaning material that I can use.

My kids left a lot of food and other spots on the wall
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10.08.2018, 13:17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Romandie
Posts: 425
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 219 Times in 140 Posts
Miostar has made some interesting contributions
Re: Cleaning the walls

Do you have wall paper on your walls?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10.08.2018, 13:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 3,602
Groaned at 167 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,858 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cleaning the walls

How lang ago was the wall last painted?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 10.08.2018, 13:57
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 7,508
Groaned at 92 Times in 86 Posts
Thanked 7,759 Times in 4,193 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cleaning the walls

If the spots are small, Scotch sponge (or any of these white kinds). I think Migross has them too...... yes they do.
Don't rub like a maniac - you'll take the paint off. And there is no need to.

If it's really bad: If the walls were not painted longer than 8 years (yes it changed from 10 to 8) you are not liable.

If you are liable, your "Haftpflichtversicherung" (third party insurance?) will pay for it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 10.08.2018, 14:04
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,753
Groaned at 49 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 12,847 Times in 5,066 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cleaning the walls

The other question is what are the stains, and how long have they been on the wall?

Not calling your housekeeping into question at all, but many foodstuffs (from fruits in particular) leave pretty much permanent stains if you don't get after them immediately.

Try one of the white "Stain Eraser" things with a bit of water and see if you make any progress. Add a tiny bit of "Enka" (oxalic acid wash additive) to the water if it looks like it's almost coming off.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10.08.2018, 14:22
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Bern
Posts: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
MM Abdelhafez has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
Do you have wall paper on your walls?
No I don't have a paper on the walls. It is this white rough walls

Quote:
View Post
How lang ago was the wall last painted?
At least 5 years ago when we moved in.

Quote:
View Post
If the spots are small, Scotch sponge (or any of these white kinds). I think Migross has them too...... yes they do.
Don't rub like a maniac - you'll take the paint off. And there is no need to.

If it's really bad: If the walls were not painted longer than 8 years (yes it changed from 10 to 8) you are not liable.

If you are liable, your "Haftpflichtversicherung" (third party insurance?) will pay for it.
I will check the sponge and try it. Thank you
Actually I have an insurance so do you think it will cover it.

Quote:
View Post
The other question is what are the stains, and how long have they been on the wall?

Not calling your housekeeping into question at all, but many foodstuffs (from fruits in particular) leave pretty much permanent stains if you don't get after them immediately.

Try one of the white "Stain Eraser" things with a bit of water and see if you make any progress. Add a tiny bit of "Enka" (oxalic acid wash additive) to the water if it looks like it's almost coming off.
Most of the stains are food stains like chocolate
I will try your advice. Thank you

Last edited by 3Wishes; 10.08.2018 at 17:37. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MM Abdelhafez for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 10.08.2018, 14:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 3,602
Groaned at 167 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,858 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cleaning the walls

Quote:
View Post
If the spots are small, Scotch sponge (or any of these white kinds). I think Migross has them too...... yes they do.
Don't rub like a maniac - you'll take the paint off. And there is no need to.

If it's really bad: If the walls were not painted longer than 8 years (yes it changed from 10 to 8) you are not liable.

If you are liable, your "Haftpflichtversicherung" (third party insurance?) will pay for it.
It all depends on how the wall is painted, Acryl for example is 15 yrs.

And not liable is for when the walls can just get a repaint, if they first need cleaning/repair due to things above normal wear and tear OP can be held liable for such.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 10.08.2018, 14:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 3,602
Groaned at 167 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,858 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cleaning the walls

Quote:
View Post
At least 5 years ago when we moved in.
Assuming it is default latex/whitener, that would leave you for 3/8th of the bill, now if the house was not repainted when you entered it, I would just smoothen the walls and leave it like it is. Landlord has to proof when he last painted and if this is 8 or more years ago you walk out with no costs. If it is Acryl paint the norm is 15yrs.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 10.08.2018, 14:45
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Bern
Posts: 12
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
MM Abdelhafez has no particular reputation at present
Re: Cleaning the walls

Quote:
View Post
Assuming it is default latex/whitener, that would leave you for 3/8th of the bill, now if the house was not repainted when you entered it, I would just smoothen the walls and leave it like it is. Landlord has to proof when he last painted and if this is 8 or more years ago you walk out with no costs. If it is Acryl paint the norm is 15yrs.
I don't think it was painted before we moved in because the walls have small scratches from the previous renters. We have pictured this scratches when we moved in.

But I don't know how long ago they painted the walls
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10.08.2018, 14:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 3,602
Groaned at 167 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,858 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cleaning the walls

Quote:
View Post
I don't think it was painted before we moved in because the walls have small scratches from the previous renters. We have pictured this scratches when we moved in.

But I don't know how long ago they painted the walls
Personally I'd just walk out in your situation, and if the landlord wants money you have the pictures and he needs to show the bill of the last time (no bill means no money for him at all), just smoothen the walls up some so they can be repainted directly.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10.08.2018, 15:02
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nyon
Posts: 2,460
Groaned at 69 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 2,978 Times in 1,181 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cleaning the walls

This question is posted so many times and I never understand the logic..

I live somewhere, I see a stain on the wall, I clean it.. I don't wait five years looking at it then wonder what the landlord might think.

I have no plans to move soon but I'm going to re-paint my hallway soon cause it's quite grubby looking. The paint costs 25chf and it'll take me a couple of hours.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
This user groans at John_H for this post:
  #12  
Old 10.08.2018, 15:05
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 6,753
Groaned at 49 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 12,847 Times in 5,066 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cleaning the walls

Quote:
View Post
I have no plans to move soon but I'm going to re-paint my hallway soon cause it's quite grubby looking. The paint costs 25chf and it'll take me a couple of hours.
You've forgotten to complain about the price of the paint.

Come on John, it's Friday!)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10.08.2018, 15:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nyon
Posts: 2,460
Groaned at 69 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 2,978 Times in 1,181 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cleaning the walls

Quote:
View Post
You've forgotten to complain about the price of the paint.

Come on John, it's Friday!)
Dear EF .. I repainted my hall and sent the bill to the landlord. He refused to pay me. What should I do.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 10.08.2018, 22:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 5,851
Groaned at 190 Times in 163 Posts
Thanked 7,359 Times in 3,822 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cleaning the walls

Quote:
View Post
Dear EF .. I repainted my hall and sent the bill to the landlord. He refused to pay me. What should I do.
Send the paint you didn't use, and all the tools, by registered letter and request a refund.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 10.08.2018, 22:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 3,602
Groaned at 167 Times in 130 Posts
Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,858 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cleaning the walls

Quote:
View Post
Dear EF .. I repainted my hall and sent the bill to the landlord. He refused to pay me. What should I do.
Your paint, scrape it of and take it along when moving out.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10.08.2018, 22:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 5,851
Groaned at 190 Times in 163 Posts
Thanked 7,359 Times in 3,822 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cleaning the walls

Quote:
View Post
I don't think it was painted before we moved in because the walls have small scratches from the previous renters. We have pictured this scratches when we moved in.

But I don't know how long ago they painted the walls
Contact the agency/owner and see if you reach some kind of agreement in the middle.

Say you want to move out two weeks early. If you allow, the two weeks you still pay rent for can be used to repaint the apartment. In return, you expect to leave without paying for the residual value of the painted walls even though the paint is just 6 years old (I made up the details trusting you get the idea, no idea if the agency/owner will be even interested).

ETA:
If you have private 3rd party liability insurance, they should pay for the damages (the remaining value of the paint, i.e. what hasn't been written off yet, proportionate to the damage you/your kids actually caused) in the first place. Provided you reported the damages when they happened. If you have one but didn't report the damages, you'll need to contact the insurance and see how flexible they are.

Say your kids damaged the walls by 50%, and the paint job's remaining value (i.e. what hasn't been written off, there are tables for that) is 30%. Then you are liable for 15% of the cost of a new paint, according to the professional's offer.

This hasn't been mentioned yet so here you are:
You should have joined the Mieterverband ages ago. Contact them and see if they accept your case if you join now. This should be your first step, regardless of which of the above you also undertake.

Last edited by Urs Max; 11.08.2018 at 01:06.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
painting the walls inside the house Niceyes Housing in general 9 05.08.2016 23:01
cleaning 'bumpy' walls? jube Housing in general 19 26.07.2014 22:53
Painting the walls edster Housing in general 4 15.04.2011 16:17
Fungus on the walls vsasikanth Housing in general 8 13.11.2008 13:25
Paint for the walls? Zug bound Housing in general 10 04.11.2008 16:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0