Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.11.2018, 11:23
flavio's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 757
Groaned at 67 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 602 Times in 337 Posts
flavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond repute
Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

I am planning to replace wall switches myself and having the change certified afterwards by an electrician.

Usually, people will go the OBI or Jumbo and buy the switches. I don't like them. I'd rather buy smart wall switches from another source.

Question: Does it conform to regulation to install wall switches that comply with EC & RoHS even if these were not sourced from Switzerland?

-------

Note:
It seems that there is a Swiss-specific standard required for plugs and sockets:
https://www.esti.admin.ch/en/topics/...-per-sev-1011/
But I can't find one for switches.
__________________
From the dark horizon of my future a sort of slow, persistent breeze had been blowing toward me, all my life long, from the years that were to come.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.11.2018, 11:49
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,543
Groaned at 383 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 17,311 Times in 7,157 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

Quote:
View Post
I am planning to replace wall switches myself and having the change certified afterwards by an electrician.

Usually, people will go the OBI or Jumbo and buy the switches. I don't like them. I'd rather buy smart wall switches from another source.

Question: Does it conform to regulation to install wall switches that comply with EC & RoHS even if these were not sourced from Switzerland?
When you think about it, a smart wall switch is actually a mains voltage operated electronic device.


Your switches must meet the requirements of the EU low voltage directive 2014/35/EU, specifically standard EN 50428:2005*
There should a certificate stating this somewhere on the switch maufacturers' website.
Ad well as RoHS, it also need to meet the requirements of an a set of EMC standards - again this should be stated on the manufacturers' website.


*Don't take this as gospel. That's the standard for household switches but there may be an additional standard for the smart element of the design.

Last edited by Tom1234; 14.11.2018 at 11:58. Reason: added a standard
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.11.2018, 12:10
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,801
Groaned at 270 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 15,239 Times in 6,468 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

what about wiring?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 14.11.2018, 12:33
flavio's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 757
Groaned at 67 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 602 Times in 337 Posts
flavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

Quote:
View Post
what about wiring?
No changes in wiring, not adding or replacing them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14.11.2018, 12:35
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,543
Groaned at 383 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 17,311 Times in 7,157 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

Quote:
View Post
what about wiring?
That needs to meet a set of standards too - including ones for flammability.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14.11.2018, 19:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 986
Groaned at 14 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 571 Times in 342 Posts
Landers has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of many
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

As long as the switches themselves conform to a reputable standard I think it's a bit (way) OTT to have the work certified after they're fitted. Just my opinion. And how do you think the electrician will certify them?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 14.11.2018, 19:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 4,125
Groaned at 212 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 4,273 Times in 2,178 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

Quote:
View Post
As long as the switches themselves conform to a reputable standard I think it's a bit (way) OTT to have the work certified after they're fitted. Just my opinion. And how do you think the electrician will certify them?
If in future the house burns down (let's hope not) and they investigate and it turns out that electrics might have caused it and that there is no rapport from a certified person while parts have been exchanged OP might not get any money from the insurance.

Even for things people can easily do themselves like puling some wires and exchanging switches, wall sockets and such this can be an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14.11.2018, 19:33
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 16,865
Groaned at 291 Times in 241 Posts
Thanked 14,293 Times in 7,986 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

Quote:
View Post
If in future the house burns down (let's hope not) and they investigate and it turns out that electrics might have caused it and that there is no rapport from a certified person while parts have been exchanged OP might not get any money from the insurance.

Even for things people can easily do themselves like puling some wires and exchanging switches, wall sockets and such this can be an issue.
If the house burns down, there is a reasonable chance that any paperwork will get burnt too.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 14.11.2018, 19:49
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,124
Groaned at 778 Times in 522 Posts
Thanked 7,366 Times in 3,498 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

Quote:
View Post
If the house burns down, there is a reasonable chance that any paperwork will get burnt too.

No shit sherlock ?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 14.11.2018, 20:01
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,360
Groaned at 117 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,742 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

Quote:
View Post
As long as the switches themselves conform to a reputable standard I think it's a bit (way) OTT to have the work certified after they're fitted. Just my opinion. And how do you think the electrician will certify them?
Well, OP installs them. Electrician comes by, opens them up again to check the connection, closes them. Price: I'd guess the same as if electrician installs them - maybe a bit more for the opening part plus the electrician being pissed off about the job.

I've replaced many wall switches in my life - mainly because I had years of a strong dimmer-desire No problem.

But here are all the rules, I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 14.11.2018, 20:09
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 16,865
Groaned at 291 Times in 241 Posts
Thanked 14,293 Times in 7,986 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

Quote:
View Post
Well, OP installs them. Electrician comes by, opens them up again to check the connection, closes them. Price: I'd guess the same as if electrician installs them - maybe a bit more for the opening part plus the electrician being pissed off about the job.

I've replaced many wall switches in my life - mainly because I had years of a strong dimmer-desire No problem.

But here are all the rules, I guess.
Why not wait the 20 years for the next inspection, it's kind of basic. Only ever had an issue with a 2 year old 10,000 CHF modification done by Swiss electricians as the wires used in the 32amp sockets were too thin, so the trips got changed for 25 amps.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14.11.2018, 20:19
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,360
Groaned at 117 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,742 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

If you buy the wall switches abroad, look for those with the VDE certification mark.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 14.11.2018, 21:02
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,543
Groaned at 383 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 17,311 Times in 7,157 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

Quote:
View Post
If you buy the wall switches abroad, look for those with the VDE certification mark.
Swiss products require no marking (not even the CE mark).

All European country-specific standards have been homogenised (apart from a few specific ones for country specific electrical plug and sockets, for example).
What this means in practice is that a product showing the VDE mark -the symbol used in Germany (not Switzerland) as it is from the German standards agency has been tested by a VDE approved institute such as TÜV and is safe to use in Switzerland.

However, loads of other agencies and test can, and do test to the same European standards, including UL in the U.S. for example.
Absence of a VDE mark does not mean the product should not be used in Switzerland - it just means it wasn't tested in Germany (and why should it be?)

So yes, a German VDE mark is good, but so are lots of other marks from other countries instead.

Flavio - what specific wall switches were you thinking of getting?

Out of interest, do they work as non-smart switches too - i.e. if your internet goes down, for example, you can still turn on the light at the wall switch!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 14.11.2018, 21:39
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,586
Groaned at 31 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,169 Times in 686 Posts
robBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputation
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

What happens if your light switches get infiltrated?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 14.11.2018, 22:35
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,156
Groaned at 138 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 3,870 Times in 1,479 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

Quote:
View Post
If in future the house burns down (let's hope not) and they investigate and it turns out that electrics might have caused it and that there is no rapport from a certified person while parts have been exchanged OP might not get any money from the insurance.

Even for things people can easily do themselves like puling some wires and exchanging switches, wall sockets and such this can be an issue.
How would an insurance know that light switches had been changed over ?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 14.11.2018, 23:02
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 8,360
Groaned at 117 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,742 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

OP, I simply repeat: If you get them abroad, get at least such with VDE certification (as I doubt you'll find SEV ones abroad ).
If you want to replace sockets and you would like to have those pretty, flat ones I have here .... you're two years late:
<<Der Schweizer Standard[7] wird in SEV 1011 beschrieben (ASE1011/1959 SW10A-R) und ist für bis zu 16 A dimensioniert. Die Typen 12/13/15 sind nominell bis 10 A spezifiziert – die maximale Absicherung für eine Typ-12/13/15-Steckdose beträgt 13 A für Leitungsschutzschalter und 10 A für Schmelzsicherungen. Steckvorrichtungen Typ 23/25 dürfen mit max. 16 A abgesichert werden.

Am 4. Dezember 2009 hat der technische Ausschuss TK23 die neue, überarbeitete Auflage des Schweizer Norm SEV 1011:2009 für 10-A-Stecker und Steckdosen des Typs 11/12 veröffentlicht, um unter anderem einen verbesserten Schutz gegen Berührung mit teilisolierten Steckerstiften bieten zu können.[8]

Ab dem 1. Januar 2013 ist die Einfuhr in die Schweiz von Steckern Typ 11 und Typ 12 nur noch mit teilisolierten Steckerstiften gestattet. Nach dem Jahr 2016 dürfen nur noch Steckdosen Typ 13 mit einem vertieften Buchsenloch auf den Markt gebracht werden. >> (please use google translate if you don't speak German.)

I personally would not buy this kind of stuff abroad if I were gonna do it myself.

Quote:
View Post
What happens if your light switches get infiltrated?
Infiltrated by what?

Quote:
View Post
How would an insurance know that light switches had been changed over ?
By the left overs being foreign?

PS: OP are you renting your flat?
__________________
never ever make assumptions
Reply With Quote
This user groans at curley for this post:
  #17  
Old 15.11.2018, 11:47
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 12,543
Groaned at 383 Times in 304 Posts
Thanked 17,311 Times in 7,157 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

Quote:
View Post
OP, I simply repeat: If you get them abroad, get at least such with VDE certification (as I doubt you'll find SEV ones abroad ).
If you want to replace sockets and you would like to have those pretty, flat ones I have here .... you're two years late:
<<Der Schweizer Standard[7] wird in SEV 1011 beschrieben (ASE1011/1959 SW10A-R) und ist für bis zu 16 A dimensioniert. Die Typen 12/13/15 sind nominell bis 10 A spezifiziert – die maximale Absicherung für eine Typ-12/13/15-Steckdose beträgt 13 A für Leitungsschutzschalter und 10 A für Schmelzsicherungen. Steckvorrichtungen Typ 23/25 dürfen mit max. 16 A abgesichert werden.

Am 4. Dezember 2009 hat der technische Ausschuss TK23 die neue, überarbeitete Auflage des Schweizer Norm SEV 1011:2009 für 10-A-Stecker und Steckdosen des Typs 11/12 veröffentlicht, um unter anderem einen verbesserten Schutz gegen Berührung mit teilisolierten Steckerstiften bieten zu können.[8]

Ab dem 1. Januar 2013 ist die Einfuhr in die Schweiz von Steckern Typ 11 und Typ 12 nur noch mit teilisolierten Steckerstiften gestattet. Nach dem Jahr 2016 dürfen nur noch Steckdosen Typ 13 mit einem vertieften Buchsenloch auf den Markt gebracht werden. >> (please use google translate if you don't speak German.)
Except he's buying lamp switches and not plugs and sockets.....


Quote:
View Post
I personally would not buy this kind of stuff abroad if I were gonna do it myself.
Why not? - If something meets the standard, it's safe to use.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 15.11.2018, 22:14
flavio's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 757
Groaned at 67 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 602 Times in 337 Posts
flavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Special Swiss Certification for Wall Switches?

Quote:
View Post

Flavio - what specific wall switches were you thinking of getting?

Out of interest, do they work as non-smart switches too - i.e. if your internet goes down, for example, you can still turn on the light at the wall switch!
Hoi Tom,

I'm thinking of installing the Aqara switches from Xiaomi. Tested one and works beautifully. Works without Internet too.

However, no European or US certifications for the switch yet (only Chinese ones).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NGJL22OLOA
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SANA/Swiss fishing certification courses available in English Principia Discordia Commercial 54 17.09.2018 13:33
CMA certification worth it for Swiss market HappyCreature Finance/banking/taxation 2 21.04.2017 12:10
Looking for Dimmer switches JeromeK Housing in general 8 21.08.2013 19:32
Swiss Sailing Certification (D-schein) - Info request Sabrina.C Transportation/driving 4 17.07.2012 13:43
Swiss teenager Rodriguez switches to Wolfsburg The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 16.01.2012 10:15


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0