Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.11.2018, 09:12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Zug
Posts: 50
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Inselaeffli has earned some respectInselaeffli has earned some respect
Rents/m2 - Zürich & surrounds

I’ve recently arrived and considering where to settle in or near Zürich. I’m looking at various areas along the lake, Zug or Zürich itself.

Where can I find data on average rent/m2? Obviously each property is different, but I’m having difficulty getting an overview. People tell me for example that Zug is very expensive, but I have a hard time assessing whether it really is significantly more than say Thalwil. Or say what difference one can expect say as one goes further along the Zürichsee. Or different areas within Zürich itself.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.11.2018, 16:09
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: CH-IT-AR
Posts: 113
Groaned at 49 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Brianzoeu is considered unworthyBrianzoeu is considered unworthyBrianzoeu is considered unworthy
Re: Rents/m2 - Zürich & surrounds

Quote:
View Post
I’ve recently arrived and considering where to settle in or near Zürich. I’m looking at various areas along the lake, Zug or Zürich itself.

Where can I find data on average rent/m2? Obviously each property is different, but I’m having difficulty getting an overview. People tell me for example that Zug is very expensive, but I have a hard time assessing whether it really is significantly more than say Thalwil. Or say what difference one can expect say as one goes further along the Zürichsee. Or different areas within Zürich itself.
Hi,

I'm also looking for places to live in the same region so take these as a grain of salt:

1 - I remember seeing an article on 20 Minuten or from other online newspaper with an interactive map about rental prices but unfortunately I can't find it again. But it was about the average price for a 2/3/4 rooms, not per m^2.

2 - To me it seems that prices vary mostly with proximity to the city center, proximity to a main/hub station, desirability of neighborhood, and lake view (mainly!).

3 - That being said, regardless of 1- and 2- above, the best way to find a neighborhood to live in is to start from your work address, from there follow the transport map, and check the zip codes on homegate or comparis.

4 - In regard to Zug, I didn't find it much more expensive than Zürich or the silver coast. It seems to me (I might be wrong) that Zug is more expensive just in selected areas such as the lake, old town, and those luxury buildings. Anything further 1km or more from these points the rent will not be more expensive than Zürich (again, my impression).

5 - Consider the tax difference and transport costs. Someone on a 150k salary would save a good chunk of money by living in Zug, but someone on 80k and working in Zürich might conclude it's worth to stay in Zúrich.

Let me knwo how you research goes, I'm in the same boat.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21.11.2018, 16:42
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,318
Groaned at 295 Times in 242 Posts
Thanked 8,946 Times in 4,527 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rents/m2 - Zürich & surrounds

Keep in mind that the tax efficient cities only will help you saving your taxes if you are Swiss/on a C permit?

For tax at source there is an average applied from that Kanton (again here with some exceptions, a.o. your level of salary)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 21.11.2018, 17:08
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,234
Groaned at 131 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 9,886 Times in 5,271 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rents/m2 - Zürich & surrounds

Quote:
View Post
Keep in mind that the tax efficient cities only will help you saving your taxes if you are Swiss/on a C permit?

For tax at source there is an average applied from that Kanton (again here with some exceptions, a.o. your level of salary)
Or a married B.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 21.11.2018, 17:25
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: CH-IT-AR
Posts: 113
Groaned at 49 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Brianzoeu is considered unworthyBrianzoeu is considered unworthyBrianzoeu is considered unworthy
Re: Rents/m2 - Zürich & surrounds

Quote:
View Post
Keep in mind that the tax efficient cities only will help you saving your taxes if you are Swiss/on a C permit?

For tax at source there is an average applied from that Kanton (again here with some exceptions, a.o. your level of salary)
Seriously?

Please correct me if I am wrong:

1 - On B permit your taxes are withheld with your salary, whereas on C permit it don't.

2 - As a B permit holder these withheld taxes are calculated by the average, however after you do your tax return you will either pay or receive back the difference.

3 - Therefore B and C pay permit holders pay exactly the same taxes, the difference is that the C will pay only what he/she owns in the end of the year while the B permit will be pay/receive the difference to the average in the end of the year.

Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21.11.2018, 17:32
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,318
Groaned at 295 Times in 242 Posts
Thanked 8,946 Times in 4,527 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rents/m2 - Zürich & surrounds

Quote:
View Post
Seriously?

Please correct me if I am wrong:

1 - On B permit your taxes are withheld with your salary, whereas on C permit it don't.

2 - As a B permit holder these withheld taxes are calculated by the average, however after you do your tax return you will either pay or receive back the difference.

3 - Therefore B and C pay permit holders pay exactly the same taxes, the difference is that the C will pay only what he/she owns in the end of the year while the B permit will be pay/receive the difference to the average in the end of the year.

Am I wrong?
1 Correct

2 Not everyone has to do a tax return. If you earn over a certain amount, yes. Below that, you can ask to do that but normally there is no requirement.

C permit holders can also get tax refunds.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21.11.2018, 22:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,487
Groaned at 30 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 6,117 Times in 2,508 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rents/m2 - Zürich & surrounds

Some types of permits require the person to live in the same canton as the place of employment. For anyone with such a permit, it is generally not permitted to, for example, work in Zurich but live in Zug, for example.

This rule does not apply to everyone, but it's best to check before you look for accommodation.

It is also possible to apply for special permission to live in a different canton.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.11.2018, 08:53
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 541
Groaned at 87 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 526 Times in 254 Posts
Kedi has earned the respect of manyKedi has earned the respect of manyKedi has earned the respect of many
Re: Rents/m2 - Zürich & surrounds

...

Last edited by Kedi; 22.11.2018 at 10:51. Reason: Posted on the wrong thread.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
90 m2, 3,5 rooms in Zürich Seebach available in the beginning of July Helka Property offered 1 07.06.2017 16:42
Baden & surrounds Cybersuz Housing in general 1 14.08.2009 18:17
help anyone live in St gallen or surrounds & have kids caitiam Introductions 7 27.10.2007 07:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0