Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.11.2018, 22:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Lemonad has no particular reputation at present
Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Hello!

I accepted a job abroad and am planning to leave sunny Lugano at the end of Dec. My rental contract, on the other hand, does not allow cancelling before 30.06 so the usual find a new tenant story kicks in. I have been looking for somebody for 2 weeks now and it is getting quite challenging, seems like the market is saturated. Despite the quite good price and location (in my view), people just check the place but do not apply. I am non-EU and have B permit bounded to my employment so when I am no longer employed I am not legally allowed to stay in CH and I assume rent an apartment. I know there is a possibility to break the rent due to the important reason, could this be one? Is there any other way out? I have already informed the agency about the termination of course.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.11.2018, 22:49
Troublawesome's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 1,053
Groaned at 201 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 968 Times in 435 Posts
Troublawesome has annoyed a few people around hereTroublawesome has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Yes, there's a way. Pay up your side of the contract.


Alternatively, drop the rent by 50% and you'll find a tenant in no time. 50% is still better than 0%
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Troublawesome for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 21.11.2018, 23:18
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,134
Groaned at 78 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 15,292 Times in 6,801 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Quote:
View Post
I am non-EU and have B permit bounded to my employment so when I am no longer employed I am not legally allowed to stay in CH and I assume rent an apartment. I know there is a possibility to break the rent due to the important reason, could this be one? Is there any other way out? I have already informed the agency about the termination of course.
No need for a permit to rent an apartment. You can still use it as your holiday home. Your bad if you do not get a visa in case you need one as a tourist.

Important reasons? Not even death gets you out of a rental contract. It reduces the notice period a bit at best. Why do you think moving abroad would be a better reason than death?

It is not the landlords problem if you wish to persuade other opportunities abroad. A contract is a contract, and a deal is a deal. He provides the place, you the rent or a replacement tenant.

To sweeten the deal you might have to offer some months of free rent. It is not the time of year were people normally move. End of March or End of September are much better.
__________________
“That’s the second biggest monkey head I’ve ever seen!”
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21.11.2018, 23:50
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Lemonad has no particular reputation at present
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Quote:
View Post
No need for a permit to rent an apartment. You can still use it as your holiday home. Your bad if you do not get a visa in case you need one as a tourist.

Important reasons? Not even death gets you out of a rental contract. It reduces the notice period a bit at best. Why do you think moving abroad would be a better reason than death?
As a tourist, I cannot stay in Switzerland as long as the rent goes which makes the usage quite impossible.

And in fact if you die you are out:
Weitere Gründe, die zur ausserordentlichen Kündigung berechtigen, sind der Konkurs oder der Tod des Mieters (Art. 266h OR und Art. 266i OR).

But I was referring to the following:

III. Ausserordentliche Kündigung 1. Aus wichtigen Gründen
1 Aus wichtigen Gründen, welche die Vertragserfüllung für sie unzumutbar machen, können die Parteien das Mietverhältnis mit der gesetzlichen Frist auf einen beliebigen Zeitpunkt kündigen.
2 Der Richter bestimmt die vermögensrechtlichen Folgen der vorzeitigen Kündigung unter Würdigung aller Umstände.

The reasons are not clearly defined, I am just wondering if anybody was lucky enough or knows another way out. It is clear to me that putting money on the table could be a solution but it is a waste.

In any case, thanks for your feedback. I understand the market is tough and the landlord has the right for the rental payments, on the other hand, it is hard to tailor life circumstances to the cancellation dates.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22.11.2018, 00:21
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 2,304
Groaned at 87 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 2,002 Times in 1,123 Posts
ivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Quote:
View Post
III. Ausserordentliche Kündigung 1. Aus wichtigen Gründen
1 Aus wichtigen Gründen, welche die Vertragserfüllung für sie unzumutbar machen, können die Parteien das Mietverhältnis mit der gesetzlichen Frist auf einen beliebigen Zeitpunkt kündigen.
Your part of 'Vertragserfüllung' is to pay the f'ing rent to the landlord. Are you broke or what?

The landlord on other hand has to provide you the apartment in a good liveable state and so far you've indicated nothing whatsoever that he's having trouble keeping up with his part of the deal.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.11.2018, 00:59
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,134
Groaned at 78 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 15,292 Times in 6,801 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Death is handled in Art. 266i Code of Obligations
https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classifi...dex.html#a266i

Quote:
In the event of the death of the tenant or lessee, his heirs may terminate the contract by giving the legally prescribed notice expiring on the next admissible termination date.
Thats March 29th in Lugano.
https://www.homegate.ch/mieten/ratge...digungstermine

Exactly what I said. It reduces the notice period a bit.

Regarding Art. 266h Code of Obligations I point you to the canton Zurich rental court: http://www.gerichte-zh.ch/themen/mie...-gruenden.html
It states that the exceptional circumstances must not have been arisen by the tenants own willful actions.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22.11.2018, 07:31
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery, but not the SoT one
Posts: 20,268
Groaned at 351 Times in 266 Posts
Thanked 14,724 Times in 8,465 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Quote:
View Post
Yes, there's a way. Pay up your side of the contract.


Alternatively, drop the rent by 50% and you'll find a tenant in no time. 50% is still better than 0%
Would that get him out of paying the other 50% though? My understanding is the new tenant has to take it over under the same rental conditions.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.11.2018, 08:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,426
Groaned at 246 Times in 209 Posts
Thanked 8,944 Times in 4,685 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Quote:
View Post
Would that get him out of paying the other 50% though? My understanding is the new tenant has to take it over under the same rental conditions.
No it wouldn't, but paying 50% is better than paying 100%. Presumably that's what troubleawesome meant. Unless the other renter enters into the contract in the middle of next year, after which point he'd have to pay 100%, OP would have to give notice as per then.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22.11.2018, 10:29
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,234
Groaned at 131 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 9,886 Times in 5,271 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Quote:
View Post
......
And in fact if you die you are out:
Weitere Gründe, die zur ausserordentlichen Kündigung berechtigen, sind der Konkurs oder der Tod des Mieters (Art. 266h OR und Art. 266i OR)......

But I was referring to the following:

III. Ausserordentliche Kündigung 1. Aus wichtigen Gründen
1 Aus wichtigen Gründen, welche die Vertragserfüllung für sie unzumutbar machen, können die Parteien das Mietverhältnis mit der gesetzlichen Frist auf einen beliebigen Zeitpunkt kündigen.
2 Der Richter bestimmt die vermögensrechtlichen Folgen der vorzeitigen Kündigung unter Würdigung aller Umstände..
You're not. Believe me. The moment you die all your assets are frozen, no access to your bank-accounts until the heirs have a signed and sealed paper.
Except: The bank will pay the rent while all this is cleared, if the bill is presented to them
Yeah, yeah, it's good to be a landlord here

As to a possible court case - I suspect by the time you got the verdict it is June.

Now to the question that sounds stupid yet is unfortunately the most effective one on EF:
Did you talk to the landlord?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 22.11.2018, 10:51
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 13,215
Groaned at 405 Times in 318 Posts
Thanked 18,158 Times in 7,553 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Quote:
View Post
Despite the quite good price and location (in my view), people just check the place but do not apply.
Are you saying that people see the advert, like what they see (and the price), make an appointment but then don't like the place when they actually view it?

If so then it could possibly be your fault.

Is it tidy?
Is it too cluttered?
Is it spotlessly clean?
Are the windows clean?
Does it smell bad? Food or worse?
Does it look inviting?
Can the people who come and view it see themselves in it?

You need to sell the place to them (not literally).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22.11.2018, 14:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,819
Groaned at 34 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 6,436 Times in 2,679 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Do you have an application form ready, for when anyone comes to view? Get them to provide all the standard betails, and to declare that they are solvent and willing to take over the flat at the same conditions at which you now rent, starting from DATE. Keep a copy. Send that to your landlord, asking for confirmation that you will thereby be released from the lease.

Yeah, but as Curley said, first speak to your landlord.

Once you've done that, speak to all your neighbours, too, and put a flyer in every letterbox in the streets around yours. If you liked living there, chances are the neighbours do, too, and they may have friends or relations who'd like to move into the area.
Send the info to all the major employers in the area, who may need accommodation for their incoming staff.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23.11.2018, 14:45
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Lemonad has no particular reputation at present
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Quote:
View Post
Death is handled in Art. 266i Code of Obligations
https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classifi...dex.html#a266i


Thats March 29th in Lugano.
https://www.homegate.ch/mieten/ratge...digungstermine

Exactly what I said. It reduces the notice period a bit.

Regarding Art. 266h Code of Obligations I point you to the canton Zurich rental court: http://www.gerichte-zh.ch/themen/mie...-gruenden.html
It states that the exceptional circumstances must not have been arisen by the tenants own willful actions.
I am not planning to die, even if that happens, this would hardly bother me at this stage. Sorry, but your comment is not quite relevant for me.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 23.11.2018, 14:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Lemonad has no particular reputation at present
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Quote:
View Post
Now to the question that sounds stupid yet is unfortunately the most effective one on EF:
Did you talk to the landlord?
I would try to find other solution than death to be honest.
Yes, i have talked to the agency, so far i have find to find a successor.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 23.11.2018, 14:48
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Lemonad has no particular reputation at present
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Quote:
View Post
Are you saying that people see the advert, like what they see (and the price), make an appointment but then don't like the place when they actually view it?

If so then it could possibly be your fault.

Is it tidy?
Is it too cluttered?
Is it spotlessly clean?
Are the windows clean?
Does it smell bad? Food or worse?
Does it look inviting?
Can the people who come and view it see themselves in it?

You need to sell the place to them (not literally).
thanks for (finally valuable) comment.
Yes, i believe the place is tidy, looks fine. Most common feedback is that there is no balcony and the parking is in the blue zone.
I will clean again and hide even more stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 23.11.2018, 14:49
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 9,234
Groaned at 131 Times in 112 Posts
Thanked 9,886 Times in 5,271 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Quote:
View Post
...... And in fact if you die you are out:
Weitere Gründe, die zur ausserordentlichen Kündigung berechtigen, sind der Konkurs oder der Tod des Mieters (Art. 266h OR und Art. 266i OR).
Quote:
View Post
I am not planning to die, even if that happens, this would hardly bother me at this stage. Sorry, but your comment is not quite relevant for me.
Then why bring it up?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 23.11.2018, 14:54
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Lemonad has no particular reputation at present
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Quote:
View Post
Do you have an application form ready, for when anyone comes to view? Get them to provide all the standard betails, and to declare that they are solvent and willing to take over the flat at the same conditions at which you now rent, starting from DATE. Keep a copy. Send that to your landlord, asking for confirmation that you will thereby be released from the lease.

Yeah, but as Curley said, first speak to your landlord.

Once you've done that, speak to all your neighbours, too, and put a flyer in every letterbox in the streets around yours. If you liked living there, chances are the neighbours do, too, and they may have friends or relations who'd like to move into the area.
Send the info to all the major employers in the area, who may need accommodation for their incoming staff.
thanks for the tips! I have the forms printed out and i give them to the people who comes over. Usually they need to submit filled in form to the agency directly (at least in Ticino what is what is usually done). I can try to make them to fill that in right away or send a copy to me, hope that works.
Checking with my employer now too, maybe something will come out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 23.11.2018, 15:01
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Lemonad has no particular reputation at present
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Quote:
View Post
Then why bring it up?
just answering one of the comments above?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 23.11.2018, 15:13
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 7,324
Groaned at 810 Times in 549 Posts
Thanked 8,989 Times in 4,257 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

So because you have found something different this leads you to beleive that you maybe able to break other contracts that no longer suit you.


I wonder how you will feel when you've moved to your new job and settled in when you new boss, say well ,we've changed our mind so we're just going to break the contract with no reference to any of the clauses that may mean we have to pay something to you.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 23.11.2018, 15:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 503
Groaned at 11 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 544 Times in 258 Posts
LuganoPirate has an excellent reputationLuganoPirate has an excellent reputationLuganoPirate has an excellent reputationLuganoPirate has an excellent reputation
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

I'm speaking now as a landlord and have experienced this problem several times.

You signed a contract which is legally binding, so legally you have to pay up to the end of the contract.

Saying that, I've had tenants just up sticks and go, and here's the problem. Your landlord could try and sue you wherever you are. I've used agencies in the past but of six cases only been 100% successful once in recuperating the rent and costs. Three times I ended up with about 50% and twice nothing at all except costs I had to pay.

The problem is that with a valid contract I have to follow certain legal procedures, I can't just go in and change the locks, even if I know the tenant has left for good.

So from my side I negotiate with the tenant (or perhaps I should say they negotiate with me) and if I can get 50% of what is due I accept it and we can all move on. In the end this saves me costs, the tenant hassle, gives me time to do a quick refurb and If I'm lucky perhaps an extra months rent.

Even a legally binding contract can be renegotiated, so my advice is negotiate with them and maybe they will agree to let you go.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank LuganoPirate for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 23.11.2018, 16:19
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Lemonad has no particular reputation at present
Re: Breaking rental agreement - leaving CH - non EU

Quote:
View Post
So because you have found something different this leads you to beleive that you maybe able to break other contracts that no longer suit you.


I wonder how you will feel when you've moved to your new job and settled in when you new boss, say well ,we've changed our mind so we're just going to break the contract with no reference to any of the clauses that may mean we have to pay something to you.
I am honestly a bit surprised by the abundance of very negative comments as if i am doing something illegal. It is not like i am saying from today to tomorrow that i want to leave, the landlord has been informed min 2 months in advance. So yes, it makes me think that the same as in the other countries there is a chance to solve the problem in another way.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Lemonad for this post:
Reply

Tags
apartment, lugano, rent




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non-EU leaving CH; Pension Pilar II withdrawing vlad_island Finance/banking/taxation 9 27.03.2018 16:49
CH Family Reunification Visa for Half EU and Half Non-EU couple for Non-EU mother MitzEclipse Permits/visas/government 10 09.09.2015 09:45
Leaving Switzerland - EU and Non EU Locations luzernlucerne Leaving Switzerland 3 12.11.2014 12:36
Non-EU B permit holder bought a house - my options when leaving CH arnav Permits/visas/government 16 18.04.2012 23:43
Claiming AHV when going to Non-EU/bilateral agreement country saharanz Finance/banking/taxation 4 07.08.2011 18:37


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0