Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Housing in general  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.02.2019, 13:02
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,667
Groaned at 100 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 4,678 Times in 1,853 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Do any of you have a monitored alarm?

Have toyed with the idea over the years but never really went into detail..

I look at for example the Dialarme website but there are no details on costs and commitments.. I'd just like to know these basic details before I invite somebody out to give me the whole damn sales pitch.

Any of you have a system installed? What do you get? What does it cost?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 26.02.2019, 13:10
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 28,974
Groaned at 1,989 Times in 1,506 Posts
Thanked 34,406 Times in 16,365 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do any of you have a monitored alarm?

To alarm what?

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 26.02.2019, 13:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Do any of you have a monitored alarm?

Quote:
View Post
Have toyed with the idea over the years but never really went into detail..

I look at for example the Dialarme website but there are no details on costs and commitments.. I'd just like to know these basic details before I invite somebody out to give me the whole damn sales pitch.

Any of you have a system installed? What do you get? What does it cost?


Total waste of time as the alarm companies have to satisfy themselves it is not a false alarm before calling the police meaning either a neighbour has to be phones to go an check or they can have cameras which can be operated independently to check. (operated at anytime when they decide without you knowing about it) BEFORE they can call the police.



Burglars rarely stay for long in a house, 10 mins max



Look out for BLINK cameras they are WiFi and image goes directly to cloud so even if the camera is destroyed, the images are not.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 26.02.2019, 14:08
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 14,900
Groaned at 467 Times in 373 Posts
Thanked 21,103 Times in 8,685 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do any of you have a monitored alarm?

I set my own up.

I'm fully aware of its limitations but it does send us an SMS when there is a forced entry so at least I can tell the nieghbours to make sure the place is secure after a burglary.

It also sounds an alarm in the house which is pretty loud - and turns on the lights and outside lights.

All doors are monitored independently and we also get an sms when the neighbour enters a specific part of the house to feed the cats when we are away (important as if the neighbour, for example, got into a traffic accident or was otherwise incapacitated - at least we would know that the cats were not being fed and given water)

I've got a camera too but it's not linked in.


Now my Echos can speak in any language, I can get them to announce that the Police have been called in German.

Cost - not much.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.02.2019, 14:32
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 28,974
Groaned at 1,989 Times in 1,506 Posts
Thanked 34,406 Times in 16,365 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do any of you have a monitored alarm?

People in Switzerland get burgled?

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at st2lemans for this post:
  #6  
Old 26.02.2019, 15:27
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,667
Groaned at 100 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 4,678 Times in 1,853 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do any of you have a monitored alarm?

So yes.. I already have cameras that detect sound and motion. They work just fine.. I like them.. But..

Say I'm out of the country, I see somebody kicking in the patio door, then what? I call the old lady next door to intervene? Nope

I call the police? Fine, explain who i am, where i am, what's going on, where to go, that I'm watching on my phone.. etc

Or I have a service that deals with this sort of thing, who'll get an alert and follow it up, can secure the place after an event?

I've never needed it before and hope I won't .. But if the service was available at a decent price then why not.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.02.2019, 17:16
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,919
Groaned at 2,041 Times in 1,124 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Do any of you have a monitored alarm?

Quote:
View Post
Have toyed with the idea over the years but never really went into detail..

I look at for example the Dialarme website but there are no details on costs and commitments.. I'd just like to know these basic details before I invite somebody out to give me the whole damn sales pitch.

Any of you have a system installed? What do you get? What does it cost?
Yes. I have installed a pit bull!
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 26.02.2019, 18:20
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Do any of you have a monitored alarm?

Quote:
View Post
So yes.. I already have cameras that detect sound and motion. They work just fine.. I like them.. But..

Say I'm out of the country, I see somebody kicking in the patio door, then what? I call the old lady next door to intervene? Nope

I call the police? Fine, explain who i am, where i am, what's going on, where to go, that I'm watching on my phone.. etc

Or I have a service that deals with this sort of thing, who'll get an alert and follow it up, can secure the place after an event?

I've never needed it before and hope I won't .. But if the service was available at a decent price then why not.



By the time you or the expensive alarm company had done this, explained who they were and the police arrived at your home, the burglars have long gone......


The risk of burglary in Switzerland is fairly small and all this effort and expense......sledge hammer & nut comes to mind
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 26.02.2019, 20:54
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,667
Groaned at 100 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 4,678 Times in 1,853 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do any of you have a monitored alarm?

Quote:
By the time you or the expensive alarm company had done this, explained who they were and the police arrived at your home, the burglars have long gone......


The risk of burglary in Switzerland is fairly small and all this effort and expense......sledge hammer & nut comes to mind
I get it.. I know the risk is small, relatively speaking .

But stuff happens, i know at least 5 families in our idyllic little village who have been burgled over the last couple of years, others who have had attempted break ins, bikes stolen etc etc. They never thought it would happen here.

Sure having a fancy alarm is not gonna stop a proper thief but it just might deter the opportunist and just might provide some extra help to catch somebody after the fact..

To me it's a bit like backing up my data, I've never needed it but I do it properly just in case.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.02.2019, 22:05
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,355
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 734 Times in 455 Posts
axman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do any of you have a monitored alarm?

We have been burgled once. Stuff getting stolen was not even the main issue, but we were really disturbed by the fact that someone went through our entire house, touched all our personal stuff. Their boot prints on our bedsheet... Could not sleep for the next few nights.

Our neighbours were burgled twice.

What we learnt from the police : alarms are "too late". Better to focus on deterrents. Eg., never give the impression that no one is at home. Burglars here are opportunistic - in and out within 10 minutes. If it looks like there is a chance that someone is at home, they will just go to the next dark house with all the blinds down...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank axman for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 26.02.2019, 23:06
VenusC's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Zug
Posts: 339
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 551 Times in 220 Posts
VenusC has a reputation beyond reputeVenusC has a reputation beyond reputeVenusC has a reputation beyond reputeVenusC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do any of you have a monitored alarm?

Quote:
View Post
We have been burgled once. Stuff getting stolen was not even the main issue, but we were really disturbed by the fact that someone went through our entire house, touched all our personal stuff. Their boot prints on our bedsheet... Could not sleep for the next few nights.

Our neighbours were burgled twice.

What we learnt from the police : alarms are "too late". Better to focus on deterrents. Eg., never give the impression that no one is at home. Burglars here are opportunistic - in and out within 10 minutes. If it looks like there is a chance that someone is at home, they will just go to the next dark house with all the blinds down...
I agree. I hope you, OP, have a good relationship with your neighbours. Ask them to visit your place a couple of times during the day at random hours. While cat-sitting for our neighbour, I am always checking things and it's a deterrent I think. Sorry, I can't be of huge technological help here, and this is what you are after... However, when in London, we had a couple of cameras placed visible in windows to deter and some inside, hidden. Noone wants a complicated burglary, even the birglar, right?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you know a good home security alarm/system? melb15 Housing in general 23 27.09.2015 17:27
What do you think about alarm systems? gata Housing in general 110 26.01.2015 14:54
IPL Epilation in Basel do you have any experience? Iria Other/general 0 14.02.2013 18:13
Do you have any stores like DM in Switzerland? sarahch Other/general 10 23.04.2012 22:00
How do any of you guys get any work done? ggourlay General off-topic 4 15.05.2008 15:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0