English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Housing in general (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/)
-   -   Electrical sockets/switches - good value source? (https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/291690-electrical-sockets-switches-good-value-source.html)

Tom1234 03.05.2019 11:36

Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
I need to replace a few that are simply worn out.

Prices are pretty shocking - some are nearly 80 CHF just for the switch face plate.

Has anyone had to replace/fit many and found a good source.

Most are in the cellar and have back-boxes so I don't particularly need the same design.


Thanks!

Verbier 03.05.2019 11:45

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
If you can wait a bit, normally Coop Brico and Migros Do-it have 25% off sales a couple of times per year on switches and outlets. They tend to have the Feller brand and another brand that I forget the name.

Jumbo may also have sales but I have not purchased from them so I am not certain.

Make sure you check the flyers that come out every couple of weeks or so.

Sandgrounder 03.05.2019 11:52

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Don't know where you are finding the CHF 80.- jobbies but here they have much cheaper electrics

https://www.brack.ch/baumarkt-hobby/...schalter-dosen

The pricey ones seem to be those all-weather ones for outdoors.

me.anon 03.05.2019 12:08

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Electrical sockets/switches: Prices are pretty shocking !
Oh really. Is this today's "Friday" thread ?

Tom1234 03.05.2019 12:35

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by me.anon (Post 3065666)
Electrical sockets/switches: Prices are pretty shocking !
Oh really. Is this today's "Friday" thread ?

If you've got nothing better to do then please, be my guest...

p42 03.05.2019 12:37

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Save all the old ones for spares, and maybe check Ricardo. People demolish houses here so often, you can sometimes do a deal with the owner and buy the sockets from the whole house on a DIY removal bases! It can be a nightmare getting the correct sized plastic cover as only electrical factors stock the full range, and they are not allowed to sell to public. OBI and COOP seem to be cheapest for new cheaper clones of the established brands. There is a definite quality difference but they work OK.

szhjcn 03.05.2019 13:07

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Agree, no idea why these things are so expensive, when you consider a simular product in the UK.

Try Bauhaus and Hornbach:

https://www.hornbach.ch/shop/Elektro...ikelliste.html

https://www.bauhaus.ch/de/elektro-be...roinstallation

I generally find electrical goods cheaper in Switzerland, but switches and sockets are an exception. Guess they have a closed market as most of the products are only for Switzerland, so not imported. In Germany, simular products are cheaper also: https://www.bauhaus.info/tastschalter/c/10002070

But obviously can't get Swiss sockets in Germany (that I know of).

Phil_MCR 03.05.2019 13:13

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 3065659)
I need to replace a few that are simply worn out.

Prices are pretty shocking - some are nearly 80 CHF just for the switch face plate.

Has anyone had to replace/fit many and found a good source.

Most are in the cellar and have back-boxes so I don't particularly need the same design.


Thanks!

aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Livo...831401077.html

me.anon 03.05.2019 13:17

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Well, since most of the Swiss electrical fittings are probably manufactured in China anyway, you only have to find a supplier which is prepared to break ranks and supply the stuff also direct to the public, if you are lucky even sporting the names of well known manufacturers.

For example, at CHF 1.55, this is unbeatable:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Supp...946228553.html
You can even get it with IP44 embossed on it giving it that waterproof look.

Or, if you are prepared to buy in bulk, you can get these elegant sockets at just over $5 a piece (quantities of 10)
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...77685.html?s=p
https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HLB1qluma...witzerland.jpg

EdwinNL 03.05.2019 13:18

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Sockets is a problem here due to the very small and closed market with its own standard. As for switches I'd order/buy those in Germany or the Netherlands.

Tom1234 03.05.2019 13:49

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by me.anon (Post 3065694)
Well, since most of the Swiss electrical fittings are probably manufactured in China anyway, you only have to find a supplier which is prepared to break ranks and supply the stuff also direct to the public, if you are lucky even sporting the names of well known manufacturers.

I may check out the Livolo ones (not keen on the glass though). Some of my requirements are for low voltage circuits (with separate cable trunking) so I'm not worried about approvals in that case.

Actually, Feller in Horgen seems to have the whole market sewn up pretty well - at least for good looking sockets (according to my wife).


She hates the shiny ones and the Feller Classic (whatever they are called but they were designed in the forties or something like that).


Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinNL (Post 3065695)
Sockets is a problem here due to the very small and closed market with its own standard. As for switches I'd order/buy those in Germany or the Netherlands.

The problem is, we want some combined ones (light switch and single socket, for example).

st2lemans 03.05.2019 14:10

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by p42 (Post 3065680)
It can be a nightmare getting the correct sized plastic cover as only electrical factors stock the full range, and they are not allowed to sell to public.

Sure than can, as I've bought stuff from industrial suppliers.

Worst case, I get them to order it at work for me, but I've only done that a couple times in 30+ years.

Tom

Tom1234 03.05.2019 15:18

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by me.anon (Post 3065694)
Or, if you are prepared to buy in bulk, you can get these elegant sockets at just over $5 a piece (quantities of 10)

According to Livolo, unless you buy from them, cheaper devices may be fake, and dangerous to use.

If you buy from Livoloeurope.eu, you can a pay a lot more than Ali-Express prices.

And, I just checked, Livolo don't appear to sell Swiss sockets.

me.anon 03.05.2019 15:37

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 3065728)
According to Livolo, unless you buy from them, cheaper devices may be fake, and dangerous to use.

If you buy from Livoloeurope.eu, you can a pay a lot more than Ali-Express prices.

I guess what has happened here is that Livoloeurope outsourced the manufacturing, handing over their designs, to a Chinese company and that Chinese company has now done the dirty on them and started selling the stuff also direct to customers (who prefer not to pay wildly inflated prices) instead of, as agreed, through Livoloeurope.
I'd also say that the definition of 'fake' here is that the manufacturer has breached an agreement to sell only to Livoloeurope and that the specification (including safety aspects) is identical to the original (anyway manufactured in China) product.

me.anon 03.05.2019 15:49

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 3065728)
. . .
And, I just checked, Livolo don't appear to sell Swiss sockets.

I see you've just added this. Doesn't the link above work for you? The socket and description look remarkably like a Swiss-specification socket to me.

Tom1234 03.05.2019 15:56

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by me.anon (Post 3065739)
I see you've just added this. Doesn't the link above work for you? The socket and description look remarkably like a Swiss-specification socket to me.

Yes, I saw that. It wasn't on the site I looked at but is on the Livolo.com site here.

https://www.livolo.com/media/catalog...7c1ch-11-1.jpg

This look like a completely different company than my last link. (And doesn't have a website link to any safety declarations).

I probably won't bother.

Neko 04.05.2019 20:09

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
I've bought a lot from a UK company called TLC (look for the TLC direct website) when living in France and needed to rewire a whole house, the one gang switches were little more than 1 each for the basic models for the cellar and they posted things out quick... but check they'll fit into the boxes in the wall (or you can replace the box for a few pence too).

Verbier 20.05.2019 13:19

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Migros Do-it has the FELLER switches and wall sockets etc. on sale at the moment. 25% off until June 3rd.

As they do not tend to stock up when they have a sale (very Swiss), they will run out of the popular items very quickly.

Verbier 04.06.2019 14:31

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Coop Brico have the Feller switches and outlets on sale as of 4.06 until 15.06 (once again stock is normally limited so go early).

The offer is 40% off if you buy 3 or more items (you can mix and match).


EDIT: oops ! I put Migros by mistake instead of Coop. Sorry if anyone rushed off to Migros :-(

Tom1234 04.06.2019 15:40

Re: Electrical sockets/switches - good value source?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Verbier (Post 3073438)
Migros Do-It have the Feller switches and outlets on sale as of 4.06 until 15.06 (once again stock is normally limited so go early).

The offer is 40% off if you buy 3 or more items (you can mix and match).

Just shows you the profit margins they have on them...

They didn't have the ones I wanted last time either.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:19.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0